WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

The Kingdom of Talingarde is perhaps the noblest, most virtuous and peaceful nation yet founded. The royalty of this dominion has rescued a dispirited people from the brink of despair and darkness. They dealt with their enemies honorably and their allies faithfully. Talingarde is a paragon of the age, a bright shining city upon a hill. Yet the nation faces now its greatest test. US! It is our ambition to do nothing less than destroy Talingarde utterly.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Not a single sign of discomfort is shown from Rua'thil's words. Duke does not catch much of them, due to her whispering, yet what little he does hear is enough to be a valid threat to the warden. That is all that he sees it being necessary for. If she actually wants to carry out what she is saying, he will not stop her, but he will find it a waste of time. Simply killing the man would be good enough to ensure he does not remain as a loose end. Anything else is expanding unnecessary energy.

Duke gives Mathias a flat look as he mentions Sergeant Blackerly running the prison. "Your trust was ill placed. He and the guards are more content to drink and play games than watch the prison." The revelation to Mathias is not going to matter much, since he will not live long. Given Duke's disgust with how poorly they run Brandescar Prison, though, he still finds himself making the remark.

It becomes evident why their time limit was three days. July 27th would be beyond what Tiadora had told them. Even if not, Duke would not see a point to remaining for the arrival of the high magistrate. There is no guarantee that he would bring any prisoners, and if he did, they might not be willing to help their cause. It is too much risk for an uncertain reward.

"We will not remain here long enough to see Solomon or his knights," Duke states. "We shall remain only to ensure the servants are unable to report their findings." He ponders for a moment before asking another question. "What positions does the rest of your family hold?" It occurs to him that the answer might be useful to them in the future, depending on what the warden says.

Combat Map

Duke Mini-Stats | Show
Duke Knyvett
Male Lawful Evil Human Cavalier (Strategist), Level 1
Init +2, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, CMD 16
Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +0
CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus +1
Glaive +4 (1d10+4, x3)
Longsword +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x2)
Longbow (20 Arrows) +3 (1d8, x3)
Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16
Condition None
Weapons in Hand: Glaive

Abilities
Challenge: 0/1 used.
Tactician (Stealth Synergy): 0/1 used.
Inspiring Rush: 0/1 used.
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Joph » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:48 pm

The dhampir smiles down at Mathias. What an old fool! He explains to him, "It seems Blackerly is the one running the show around here then. If it's any consolation, I'm going to kill him too. You can rest easy knowing we'll slay at least one scoundrel tonight." Laughing, Darius looks at the others and then crosses his arms, awaiting an answer from the prisoner. He nods at Duke and says, "Indeed, I have heard tales before of the High Inquisitor - we definitely do not want to be here when he arrives."

Darius Mini-stats | Show
Darius Talingarde
Male Lawful Evil Dhampir Antipaladin, Level 1,
Init +3, HP 10/10, Speed 30 ft.
AC 19 (23 against Mathias), Touch 13 (17 against Mathias), Flat-footed 16 (20 against Mathias), CMD 17 (21 against Mathias)
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3,
CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
Longbow (20/20 arrows left) +4 (+8 against Mathias) (1d8, x3) (+1 bonus to damage against Mathias)
Longsword +4 (+8 against Mathias) (1d8+3, 19-20/x2) (+1 bonus to damage against Mathias)
Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex) (+4 deflection against Mathias)
Weapon in Hand: Longsword & Shield

Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 18
Condition None
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Joph » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:07 pm

The warden addresses each question in turn. To Samara, he says, "I was going to question you and hand you over to Blackerly, I had no reason to distrust him!" He glares at Duke, but realization dawns on him. He says at a loss, "This whole time...Blackerly's been the one pulling the strings here. I've been a fool. Blackerly shames this prison!"

He closes his eye a moment, sighing, but then opens it again to continue, "My family is from Matharyn, the capital, and our ancestral home is one of the Forty Four Finest within the Golden Bow manors. It's called that because there are only forty four lots along the river where the Golden Bow district is, and you are considered part of the elite if you're one of the Forty Four. My nephew, Lord Gaius, put me into this position as I'd almost automatically become a knight upon retirement. Our family is low-born, you see, and he's been working to help us gain status through the years, mostly through his loveless but advantageous marriage."
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Rua'thil » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:53 am

~ Branderscar Prison: Level 3 Warden's Tower ~

Rua’thil shared Darius's sentiments about Blackerly and intended to castrate him before he died if possible. With the witch's power that certainly appeared to be a possibility if they fatally wounded him in battle first. They coudl rouse him back to consciousness and then have their way with him too.

Her voice cooed, “Riiiiight, Blackerly shall pay. Though, I would not like his death to be so quick and sudden, Darius.”

She turned to the prisoner and repeated her question in that husky tone, “I still have not heard a secret yet that would spare your life, lover.”

Latest Map

Rua'thil Mini-Stats | Show
Init +2, Speed 30
AC 16, Tch 12, FF 14, CMD 11
HP 10/10
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +6
Spells:
Cantrips (Mage Hand, Acid Splash, Guidance, Light)
1st Level (Mage Armor, Lesser Eidolon Rejuvenation) 2/2 Remaining
Summon Monster 1: 3/5 remaining
Conditions: None

Weapons in Hand: Spear (with Light)

Fiendish Eagle | Show
Summon Monster 1 Statblocks
FE1 AC 14, HP 5/5
Attacks: Melee 2 talons +3 (1d4), bite +3(1d4)
Rua'thil
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby Samara » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Samara frowned and shook her head at the warden’s explanation. Merely questioning herself and then turning him over to a brute. She thought the old man was lying on that part. But it didn’t matter…

He truly was a coward through and through. It was his own admission of being put into his position, not because of skill, but for political and selfish gain. In the end, all it is going to earn him is his own death at some of his prisoners. The witch grinned at the irony of that thought.

“Sounds like this Blackerly is just as corrupt and contemptuous as the warden here. Another follower of Mitra. Ha!”

Samara looked down at the warden in thought. She momentarily fancied suggesting they take the man with him and ransom him back. But that would be too complicated when they just needed to escape. And too risky. But perhaps they could take his head and send it to his relatives as a present….

Whatever the case, Samara was looking at a dead man. Whether he realized it or not was of no consequence.

The dark haired witch looked at Rua’thil. The other woman was still digging for more information.

“What of Blackerly. Does he have any family connections? And my friend here is right. So far, you’ve not convinced us to keep you alive.”

In all honesty, the witch didn’t think there was much use in questioning the man. They learned of his connections and that of the servants, sure. But what else would he give up was another matter.

actions | Show

Samara Mini-Stats | Show
Init +5, Speed 30
AC 13, Tch 13, FF 10, CMD 13
HP 09/09
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3 (+4 vs divine)
Spells:
Cantrips (Detect magic, Daze, Guidance)
1st Level (Mage Armor,Cure Light Wounds) 2/2 Remaining
Hexes: DC=14, Healing Hex, Evil Eye, Cackle
Samara, a witchy Witch
Samara
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:22 am

Considering Darius' words, Duke says, "What have you heard?" He does not wish to remain long enough to find out more about the man. But the information might be useful later on. Duke does not know much about him, but any knowledge to be had could always assist them if they happened to cross paths with him.

With a slight shake of his head, Duke says to Mathias, "There is little left of this prison to be shamed. Neither you nor him have done it any credit. To be placed here through family, rather than actions, further proves your lack of worth." Duke had been of a high rank thanks to his family, but they had the wrong ideals. He alone had made his way down the path he chose, not seeking anyone to give him an unhindered route forward. His lack of respect for the warden increases more by the moment.

Glancing toward Samara, he states, "He is indeed corrupt. It was at his hand that we were branded. Did he not do the same for you?" Duke followed her gaze to Mathias, which caused him to consider the warden again. He had asked of his family's position partially out of consideration for whether he could be ransomed, but it had been an idle thought at best. It did not seem worth the effort, especially since they had a location to go directly after escaping the prison.

After a moment of consideration, Duke asks the warden, "How will the servants travel here? Will they be by foot, on horse, or have a wagon of some sort?" He would benefit greatly if they brought horses, as he had learned to fight best when mounted. Even if they were not warhorses, having a horse to ride would help. But it was not a necessity, only an advantage, as much as it was an advantage he would like to have.

Combat Map

Duke Mini-Stats | Show
Duke Knyvett
Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +0
Glaive +4 (1d10+4, x3)
Condition None

Abilities
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Joph » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:19 am

So much about his family! Darius wondered whether he realized that the dhampir fully intended to punish the rest of them later. He looks at Duke and mentions, "Only that he is a terrifying foe in combat, and will stop at nothing for justice. I do not know him personally, however." Darius looks back at Mathias again. It seems like the warden was running out of bargaining chips. Darius was going to enjoy thrashing his lifeless body after all was said and done.

Darius Mini-stats | Show
Darius Talingarde
AC 19 (23 against Mathias), Touch 13 (17 against Mathias), Flat-footed 16 (20 against Mathias), CMD 17 (21 against Mathias)
Longbow (20/20 arrows left) +4 (+8 against Mathias) (1d8, x3) (+1 bonus to damage against Mathias)
Longsword +4 (+8 against Mathias) (1d8+3, 19-20/x2) (+1 bonus to damage against Mathias)
Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex) (+4 deflection against Mathias)

Condition None
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Joph » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:33 am

The warden tries to remain calm among the threats and insults given. He takes a few deep breaths and then says, "I know the layout of this prison quite well, the patrol routes of the guards - the ones actually doing their duty, that is - and I know that Blackerly carries a potion to help heal his wounds. I also know that trying to flee this prison by diving into the water is ill-advised, given the rough currents around here. I do not know of Blackerly's family, other than that is not a noble one. The servants arrive on foot, as the walk is not terribly far for them." He looks up at Darius, fear in his eye. He pleads, "That is all I know! Please, believe me!"
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Samara » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:24 am

Samara looked over at Duke and the others when he stated that Blackerly was responsible for their branding. That would explain the hatred towards the Sergeant. Not that there needed to be much of a reason. The witch felt lucky that she didn't encounter the man.

"Nay, I was branded shortly after my trial. Before I was delivered to the prison."

Samara considered the further information from the warden. The last bit about the guards would be useful if the others hadn't dispatched those same guards. The part about Blackerly carrying a potion as well would be good to know.

"The guards. What are their names? And their routes. Don't just say you know them. Prove it."

The witch looked to the others. She was beginning to feel the warden had outlived his usefulness.

actions | Show

Samara Mini-Stats | Show
Init +5, Speed 30
HP 09/09
Spells:
Samara, a witchy Witch
Samara
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rua'thil » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:04 am

Rua’thil was off to the side and when Samara looked at her, she made a gesture of slitting a throat using her figure while the Warden’s attention was focused on pleading with Darius.

She had asked Richter for secrets worth trading to save his life, but so far he had done little.

While they had a fair idea of the guards’ patrols, the witch’s question was a good mixture of information they did and did not possess so they could test the Warden’s potential truthfulness.

Rua’thil’s voice lost some of that sultry arousal and had a more imperious tone, “I doubt that is all you know, Warden. So far the information you have provided is not terribly secretive.”

LATEST MAP
Sense Motive = 7

Init +2, Speed 30
HP 10/10
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +6
Spells:

Fiendish Eagle | Show
FE1 AC 14, HP 5/5
Rua'thil
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:00 am

Considering Samara's words, Duke remarks, "Strange. The rest of us were not branded until arriving here. Perhaps it is different for one accused of being a witch." A slight shrug follows that comment. "Or there is another reason I am unaware of. I suppose it matters little at this point."

After giving a slight nod to Darius, acknowledging his answer, Duke thinks over what has been said. The information about the servants arriving on foot is unfortunate. It does lead to another interest of his, though. Samara has already handled the matter of asking for the guards. Leaving that to her, he inquires on something else.

"You should know the area around this prison. Information about the routes and towns nearby would be of some use. Specify what you are aware of in that regard." While they have a map, Duke wants to know more about what to expect when they leave.

Actions | Show
Sense Motive: 17

Combat Map

Duke Mini-Stats | Show
Duke Knyvett
Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +0
Glaive +4 (1d10+4, x3)
Condition None

Abilities
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Joph » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:52 pm

It seemed the warden's information was starting to become less interesting. Darius shakes his head and says, "You'd better spill a good secret here, Mathias. You know what I'll do if you don't." He puts his hand on his longsword, glaring at the warden. The patrol routes could be useful information, as he didn't imagine they would have much more time before some of the guards were relieved of duty. If the alarm was raised now, they'd still be in trouble given what they'd heard. The guards were incompetent, but gather enough vermin together and they could raise hell.

Darius Mini-stats | Show
Darius Talingarde

Condition None
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Joph » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:05 pm

The warden says, "The guards that are patrolling the battlements are due to relieve the guards of your cells within the hour, I believe. When they notice whatever the hell you've done with my men, you'll all be thrown back into your cells! Those are the only guards doing a patrol at the moment - though with Blackerly's idiotic games going on, I have to wonder if even that's happening. Drake and Samuel were assigned to patrol the battlements tonight. Reed and Oswald is at the gate. Wil and Lucian are at the top of the gate house. The area outside of this prison is quite marshy. There is a small town which is the only one close to this prison, with the Old Moor road near it. The town's name is Varyston." Mathias gulps and tries to avoid looking nervous at the threats.
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Samara » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:04 am

Samara nodded as Rua'thil made the gesture. The witch moved around behind the warden and readied her knife to slit his throat. In her mind, the last little exchange with the warden was all they were going to get. The guard names, where they should be, and the nearby town name.

"The two servants. What are their names?"

They should have their names just in case. It might be useful when ambushing the two.

actions | Show

Samara Mini-Stats | Show
Init +5, Speed 30
HP 09/09
Spells:
Samara, a witchy Witch
Samara
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rua'thil » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:10 am

Rua’thil was not so concerned about the guards’ rotation. Their plan had been to remove them before they finished their current assignments. The issue they really needed to decide was who was going to be next. A few guards on the battlements were hardly much to worry about once they eliminated any reinforcements they could get from other places.

She nodded at the witch’s question about the names of the two servants. Knowing them by name could help in approaching them outside their village.

The half-elven woman did not have any further questions for the soon to be dead warden.

LATEST MAP

Init +2, Speed 30
HP 10/10
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +6
Spells:

Fiendish Eagle | Show
FE1 AC 14, HP 5/5
Rua'thil
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Way of the Wicked [PF]