Sci-Fi interest check

This is for all questions, discussions, issues and what not that is not directly related to a campaign. Technical issues are to be posted in here as well. Finally, any important Administrator announcements will be made here as well.

Moderators: DM Sirine, DM Guildmaster, PMiller

Re: Sci-Fi interest check

Postby Calvin » Mon May 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Herzog wrote:I think the modern pfsrd is trying to capture d20 modern, where armor provides a defense bonus instead of a Armor class. D20 Modern does not have a thing such as penetration (hitting touch AC).

In regular PF, firearms hit touch AC, either 1st range increment or 1st 5 depending on how advance they are, and their reasoning is that armor does little to stop a bullet from punching through it. Which kinda makes sense. At least for armor in the traditional PF sense. I can't speak much from experience, but I imagine modern day Kevlar might be at least a little bit effective. Perhaps not at close range and high caliber, but most certainly against small arms.

Exactly. At the very least, modern armor is tested against bullets, though obviously not while being worn and testing standards can vary.

If there are no objections, I’m going to take the d20 modern route here and just treat firearms (and laser weapons) like normal ranged weapons.

Whatever we decide, just need to make sure some feats and class features still make sense. IE, gunslingers deadeye deed.

Yeah. For the deadeye deed, we can probably just remove the "when firing beyond her firearm’s first range increment" qualifier, leaving the actual mechanics of a deadeye shot unchanged. The revised text of the deed would be something like this:
Deadeye | Show
At 1st level, the Gunslinger can resolve an attack against touch AC instead of normal AC. Performing this deed costs 1 grit point when attacking a target the first two range increments and an additional grit point for each additional range increment. The Gunslinger still takes the –2 penalty on attack rolls for each range increment beyond the first when she performs this deed.

Two magic items, the Amulet of Bullet Protection and Far-Reaching Sight would also be affected by the change. The Amulet would be made obsolete in favour of the Ring of Protection, which flavour-wise could be a force-field generation of some sort.

The Far-Reaching Sight, as written, would still work mechanics-wise (though “regardless of range increment” becomes superfluous). It would, however, become more useful in close combat, but either the flavour could be changed or it could gain the ability to act as a Weapon Scope (as per the Santiago rules) in addition to its listed abilities. Perhaps both could be made available, with the non-scope version resembling a holographic sight or the head-mounted sight used by the smartgunners in Aliens.

I keep thinking that this setting is a bit like a Wild West/Borderlands. Which is why I think the scoundrel type characters would be perfect. I mean, look at the rush west in the 1800s. Sure, there were a lot of honest people trying to settle, but there were also a lot of crooks and unsavory types. Not saying that we should be criminals, but I don't see why shady backgrounds and the skills sets to go with them would be a problem. Especially, if the corp is subcontracting out...

Argo wrote:Oh okay, I get it. I was thinking more in terms of Mass Effect. Borderlands does have that wild west-ish feeling.

The setting takes place beyond the edge of the settled universe, so the frontier parallels are definitely applicable. Crooks and other unsavory types wouldn’t be out of place, and I have some NPCs planned that fit into that category. However, the character of the NPCs who settle in the PCs’ colony, once the game reaches that stage, will depend, at least in part, on the reputation of the PCs and the policies they put in place.

Let us know when you're ready for a forum, Calvin. :)

We should probably be ready for a forum at this point.

Forum | Show
Title: The Silent Planet [PF-Future]
Description: ImageImageImage
Far beyond the edge of the inhabited universe lies the Silent Planet, a fertile but isolated world rumoured to be the final resting place for a number of lost interplanetary expeditions. Despite the planet’s deadly reputation, legends of riches, vast resource deposits, and lost alien technology tempt those brave, or foolish, enough to take the risk. Will the Silent Planet’s latest batch of colonists quell its dangerous wildlife and hostile inhabitants, or will they end up as another in a long line of expeditions that have simply ‘gone silent’?

Image urls | Show
http://s32.postimg.org/x6bzzete9/img1.jpg
http://s32.postimg.org/d08i0ixqp/img2.jpg
http://s32.postimg.org/z9mf72t75/img3.jpg
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Argo » Tue May 03, 2016 9:17 am

Okay, your forum is good to go, Calvin.

viewforum.php?f=462

Thanks for providing all the info and links. You made it easy!
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PMiller » Tue May 03, 2016 3:41 pm

We going to move the discussion there?

I finally cracked open the Santiago book and looked briefly at Medic for LMiller (since I will have to build the mechanics for him). Maybe I will have some time today.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Tue May 03, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm good with adopting the PF Modern rule set concerning firearms.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Calvin » Tue May 03, 2016 4:18 pm

Argo wrote:Okay, your forum is good to go, Calvin.

viewforum.php?f=462

Thanks for providing all the info and links. You made it easy!

Thanks!

PMiller wrote:We going to move the discussion there?

I've set up an OOC thread. Unless there's anything else we need to sort out about the setting or ruleset, the main priority right now is probably working out who will play what. Once characters are finalized, we should be able get rolling fairly quickly since I've got the first encounter planned out and a tactical map ready to go.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Previous

Return to Out-of-game Discussions