Sci-Fi interest check

This is for all questions, discussions, issues and what not that is not directly related to a campaign. Technical issues are to be posted in here as well. Finally, any important Administrator announcements will be made here as well.

Moderators: DM Sirine, DM Guildmaster, PMiller

Sci-Fi interest check

Postby Calvin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:49 pm

Just a quick interest check to see who's around and might be interested in playing in a sci-fi campaign.

I've been considering running a converted Pathfinder module, and PMiller has sent me a link to a free PDF that converts PF into Sci-Fi, though I am somewhat flexible on the ruleset at this point. Right now, I've mainly been looking at the Kingmaker adventure path, starting with Stolen Land. Players would start at 1st level, arriving on a distant planet with the intention of starting a new colony.

I can provide a bit more detail if necessary, but things are just in the planning stage right now so I'm open to suggestions.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Sci-Fi interest check

Postby PMiller » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:55 pm

I am always interested and willing to support new games. :)

I am wondering if you considered Savage Worlds? That rule set lends itself to multiple settings easier. Though it is not as popular as PF.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Argo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:14 am

I love sci-fi, and definitely would be interested in this. If any AP would convert well to a sci-fi setting, it would be Kingmaker.
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Calvin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:46 pm

PMiller wrote:I am wondering if you considered Savage Worlds? That rule set lends itself to multiple settings easier. Though it is not as popular as PF.

I'm not familiar with Savage Worlds, but I can take a look at it. Do you know a good place to get started?

Argo wrote:If any AP would convert well to a sci-fi setting, it would be Kingmaker.

Yeah, the focus on exploration and colonization should fit well thematically with Sci-fi. I should be able to leave the world map mostly intact too, with some minor tweaks (like moving Oleg's trading post into space), but I'll probably have to change a few of the individual locations a bit. If anyone knows of a good resource for sci-fi maps, that could be very useful.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:31 pm

I am still learning the system myself, but it is pretty easy and flexible.
You can get a free copy of Test Drive v6 from this site: https://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/Gaming+Aids

Dice is all rather easy and there are many rules that are similar in flavor, so it is not so foreign when it comes down to it.

Though there might be other rule sets out there just as flexible. Cortex is another, and I am a fan of The Window too.

Of course, I am still very familiar with PF and when I read the Santiago PDF it looked to be straight forward.

How many players do you want?

I know Herzog is not around much this month, but he might be interested once things settle down. LM is probably too busy and he is not so familiar with PF… But then I can help him in that regards like I do for the other PF game he plays.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Argo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:42 am

I don't know if you use Pinterest, Calvin, but there are a lot of maps that pop up when you just type in "RPG" and "map" for your search terms, and I'm sure you can get a lot more specific things by refining the search. It looks like there's a lot more fantasy-themed maps than sci-fi, though some can be used for both.

For example, here's one I found that looks like it's for modern day settings, but could be used for sci-fi.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 8502b3.jpg

Here's something cool I found incidentally -

http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.sg/2014/0 ... aways.html

Those these are cutaways and not maps, but still really good for visualization purposes. Though more of a "Firefly"/steampunk feel than "Star Wars". Anyway, there's a ton of stuff on there, so might find something useful on Pinterest.
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Calvin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:54 pm

PMiller wrote:I am still learning the system myself, but it is pretty easy and flexible.
You can get a free copy of Test Drive v6 from this site: https://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/Gaming+Aids

Dice is all rather easy and there are many rules that are similar in flavor, so it is not so foreign when it comes down to it.

Though there might be other rule sets out there just as flexible. Cortex is another, and I am a fan of The Window too.

Of course, I am still very familiar with PF and when I read the Santiago PDF it looked to be straight forward.

Looks interesting and fairly straight forward. PF is probably still easiest for me, particularly with regards to making sure the XP progression matches the pacing of the module, but I'm willing to go with what the group prefers, and can probably adjust things on an ad hoc basic if we go that route.

How many players do you want?

I know Herzog is not around much this month, but he might be interested once things settle down. LM is probably too busy and he is not so familiar with PF… But then I can help him in that regards like I do for the other PF game he plays.

4 or 5 players would be ideal. I can wait if necessary, and I'm probably going to be a bit busy this week anyways.

Argo wrote:I don't know if you use Pinterest, Calvin, but there are a lot of maps that pop up when you just type in "RPG" and "map" for your search terms, and I'm sure you can get a lot more specific things by refining the search. It looks like there's a lot more fantasy-themed maps than sci-fi, though some can be used for both.

For example, here's one I found that looks like it's for modern day settings, but could be used for sci-fi.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 8502b3.jpg

Here's something cool I found incidentally -

http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.sg/2014/0 ... aways.html

Those these are cutaways and not maps, but still really good for visualization purposes. Though more of a "Firefly"/steampunk feel than "Star Wars". Anyway, there's a ton of stuff on there, so might find something useful on Pinterest.

I haven't used Pinterest before, but it looks like there could be some useful stuff there. Thanks!

The cutaway idea could be useful too. Space stations and medium-to-large starships have been the hardest to find good maps for (especially since I can't re-purpose a fantasy or modern map for those), but using a cutaway or general schematic for navigation and simple tactical maps for actual combat could work. That shouldn't come until module 5 though, so I don't really have to worry about that yet.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Argo wrote:I don't know if you use Pinterest, Calvin, but there are a lot of maps that pop up when you just type in "RPG" and "map" for your search terms, and I'm sure you can get a lot more specific things by refining the search. It looks like there's a lot more fantasy-themed maps than sci-fi, though some can be used for both.

Cool, I have not looked on Pinterest myslef.

Calvin, I can make simple maps pretty quickly. I can whip something up based on a simple pencil drawing too, if you need.

I use MapTools and have years of experience so it looks decent and doesn't take long. I don’t have many objects for Modern Sci-Fi stuff, but often those are not really needed to have a decent functional map.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Calvin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:53 am

I've had a bit of a chance to try map making, using Dungeon Painter Online. I'm not sure how the object selection stacks up against MapTools (which I haven't had a chance to try out), but it's serviceable, though I've had to make some adjustments in Photoshop, including adding stairs.

I've put together a map for the bandit stronghold in Module 1, now an abandoned bunker, loosely based on the Barnton Quarry ROTOR bunker in Scotland. I still have to finish the other two floors and add labels. Most of the left side of the bunker is collapsed, and the operations room in the center of the map is open to all three levels.
Map | Show
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:45 am

Well that looks pretty good. Though, the Token Tool on RPTools is still the easiest and fastest in that regards. Even if you don't try MapTools, get the TokenTool.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Argo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:51 am

That's a great map, Calvin! The varying textures to indicate different materials/areas are especially well-done.
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Calvin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:04 pm

PMiller wrote:Well that looks pretty good.

Argo wrote:That's a great map, Calvin! The varying textures to indicate different materials/areas are especially well-done.

Thanks!

PMiller wrote:Though, the Token Tool on RPTools is still the easiest and fastest in that regards. Even if you don't try MapTools, get the TokenTool.

I've had a chance to take a look and these, and while TokenTool seems easy to use, MapTools is a bit more daunting. I might try to figure it out if I can find the time, but I'll probably stick to whatever's easiest to use, as long as it meets my needs.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Herzog » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:12 am

Just checking in, but yea, this sounds something I would be interested in. As PMiller said, things will have to settle down for me before I can commit to anything at this time.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Calvin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Herzog wrote:Just checking in, but yea, this sounds something I would be interested in. As PMiller said, things will have to settle down for me before I can commit to anything at this time.

Good to have you aboard. Let me know when things settle down for you and we can go from there. Unless something comes up, we should have enough players at that point to start making concrete plans.

The first things would probably be to settle on a system. Is everyone fine with PF or is there a preference for another ruleset?
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:53 am

Whichever is easier for you, Calvin. We are all Pathfinder players with experience. We also know The Window pretty well too.

I am the only one with any Savage Worlds experience, so I think we should pass on that.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Next

Return to Out-of-game Discussions