URPGs Breakroom Chatting

This is for all questions, discussions, issues and what not that is not directly related to a campaign. Technical issues are to be posted in here as well. Finally, any important Administrator announcements will be made here as well.

Moderators: DM Sirine, DM Guildmaster, PMiller

Re: URPGs Breakroom Chatting

Postby Herzog » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:33 pm

I always thought the Borderlands video game franchise would make a good setting as well. A bit if sci-fi/mad max feel to it.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Calvin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:49 pm

Herzog wrote:I always thought the Borderlands video game franchise would make a good setting as well. A bit if sci-fi/mad max feel to it.

It has some fantasy elements too. I mean, the basic outline of the plot could easily be a D&D campaign. A group of fortune seekers, each with a unique skillset, go looking for a fabled treasure, arriving at a town besieged by bandits. They recover an artifact connected to the treasure, receive guidance from a mysterious “guardian angel”, fight mercenaries that try to take the artifact from the players and recover the treasure for themselves, and finally face off against an ancient evil imprisoned long ago. The setting and flavour, however, make it identifiably Sci-Fi. Aliens instead of magical creatures, laser guns instead of swords.

Taking Borderlands as inspiration could potentially be a way of approaching the problem of a lack of published Sci-Fi modules that PMiller mentioned earlier. For example, you could take something like the Temple of Elemental Evil, change the village to a small colony on a remote planet and the eponymous temple to a secret subterranean facility set up by some sort of Megacorp to test an advanced AI system, later quarantined by said corporation when the AI develops a god complex and the workers there begin worshipping it. The cultists could be the former workers, possibly some mutants or cyborgs, the gargoyles could be robotic sentinels and the traps could either be set up by the inhabitant after the facility’s collapse or part of the security system. The various elemental temples could also be reinterpreted as part of the facility's infrastructure the inhabitants have turned into makeshift temples due to the AI’s tendency to use its control over these vital systems to manipulate them. The Water Temple could be a pool-type nuclear reactor, Earth a self-contained farm, Fire a furnace where raw materials for the facility are processed and later recycled, and Air could be the ventilation and air filtration plant or the life support system (depending how habitable the planet is). The map of the temple itself and the overall plot structure could be left largely unchanged.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:25 am

Calvin wrote:Taking Borderlands as inspiration could potentially be a way of approaching the problem of a lack of published Sci-Fi modules that PMiller mentioned earlier. For example, you could take something like the Temple of Elemental Evil, change the village to a small colony on a remote planet and the eponymous temple to a secret subterranean facility set up by some sort of Megacorp to test an advanced AI system, later quarantined by said corporation when the AI develops a god complex and the workers there begin worshipping it. The cultists could be the former workers, possibly some mutants or cyborgs, the gargoyles could be robotic sentinels and the traps could either be set up by the inhabitant after the facility’s collapse or part of the security system. The various elemental temples could also be reinterpreted as part of the facility's infrastructure the inhabitants have turned into makeshift temples due to the AI’s tendency to use its control over these vital systems to manipulate them. The Water Temple could be a pool-type nuclear reactor, Earth a self-contained farm, Fire a furnace where raw materials for the facility are processed and later recycled, and Air could be the ventilation and air filtration plant or the life support system (depending how habitable the planet is). The map of the temple itself and the overall plot structure could be left largely unchanged.

That is a very good point, Calvin. I have thought of doing that (not specifically with ToEE), but the specific module I was considering was taking a Star Wars modules and converting it to fantasy. It was only a mental exercise on my part at the time though.

Interestingly, I have a free PDF that converted PF into SciFi (Based on a book called Santiago). The general idea was that all the classes could convert, translating things into a futuristic setting. I think they mostly changed the names of things to make more sense in the future, but the familiar mechanics would be there underneath.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:51 am

So....breakroom has been quiet....

Any one read The Martian by Andy Weir or seen the movie? Wondering how that would make for a game....
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:49 am

Herzog wrote:So....breakroom has been quiet....

Any one read The Martian by Andy Weir or seen the movie? Wondering how that would make for a game....

That book has not made it on my radar for checking out.
And I am waaaaay behind on movie watching. I just watched the second Sherlock Holmes movie from 2011 this past weekend.

Oh, I did fall asleep watching The peanuts movie with LMiller if that counts. I don’t think that one will make a good game though. :mrgreen:
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby DM Sirine » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:10 am

I think The Martian could work as a game if you had a lot of technical knowledge about Mars/the space program/science and engineering in general. The point of the book and the movie is less "action adventure in space" and more "using science to solve problems". Not something you could really handwave if you don't have a working knowledge of how space travel actually works. With the right players and GM, you could have a ball with it, though. :)

I imagine we'll see an upswing in interest in Star Wars games after the new movie comes out. I think people might be holding off to see what the new canon is like, what terms they'll use and what the status quo of the galaxy is. Some intriguing hints have been dropped in the trailers, but they seem to only raise more questions than answer them.
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Herzog » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:32 am

I want my sith game. :mrgreen:
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:30 am

DM Sirine wrote:I imagine we'll see an upswing in interest in Star Wars games after the new movie comes out. I think people might be holding off to see what the new canon is like, what terms they'll use and what the status quo of the galaxy is. Some intriguing hints have been dropped in the trailers, but they seem to only raise more questions than answer them.

Hmm, maybe I should look at SWSE conversion for The Window. Since the Black Company started we don’t have a new game advertising. I too miss our Sith game.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Previous

Return to Out-of-game Discussions