URPGs Breakroom Chatting

This is for all questions, discussions, issues and what not that is not directly related to a campaign. Technical issues are to be posted in here as well. Finally, any important Administrator announcements will be made here as well.

Moderators: DM Sirine, DM Guildmaster, PMiller

Re: URPGs Breakroom Chatting

Postby Herzog » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:17 am

Huh, I thought they only did board games....what other RPGs have they acquired?
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Obi-Wan Jacobi » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:06 am

That all sounds very interesting. Is The Window a new custom system? Is there some base document I could look at or is it a thread to follow? :mrgreen:
Obi-Wan Jacobi
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Herzog » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:47 am

They can be found here: http://www.mimgames.com/window/rules/

Also, PMiller has done a couple of conversions from other systems into The Window. They are here: viewtopic.php?f=457&t=8955
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:48 am

Obi-Wan Jacobi wrote:That all sounds very interesting. Is The Window a new custom system? Is there some base document I could look at or is it a thread to follow? :mrgreen:

Actually, the rule set has been around for over a decade. The PDF was written in a very opinionated tone, that some like me found very entertaining. Probably because I agreed with the author on a number of points for what he was making.

Though everyone that appears to be negative about The Window mainly make arguments about the mechanics (which completely misses the entire premise of The Window) or the author’s way of presenting the material. But the core rules themselves are very simple to grasp.

So it is great for flexibility and what you can do with it. For Among the Stars, all I needed to do was publish a list of typical skills instead of everyone making up their own. Anything that is “Superpower” related only needs to be defined in Window terms.

For Pathfinder, D20 Modern, and Shadowrun, I essentially did the same thing. But since I was making a conversion, I had to address the special aspect of those rules to capture their flavor. Once I could see the potential, I realized that any rule set could be converted easily enough. I have considered doing Star Wars as well from Saga Edition. But I don’t have a game that I am looking to convert since I only play in one Saga game right now.

Re: FFG, I have not looked to what else they have been up to. They are slowly putting out more Star Wars material, but until they cover the wide range of things the other Star Wars rules covered, it cannot replace Saga. Edge of Empire did not introduce the Force so you could play a Jedi. That is coming in the follow-on books which are rather slow in getting produced… at least it appears that way.

For PbP gaming, no SRD is also a negative drawback in my book too. As a result, I am also not sold on D&D 5th ed either.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Suprised an SRD hasn't popped up for either. But than again, companies probably care about the newer systems more.

At any, I never read the first edition of The Window rules, so I missed the opinion. I read what was on the website, and it came across very much as lite system focusing on Storytelling. The rules are there just for guidelines.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby DM Sirine » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:30 pm

There's a very basic SRD for 5th Edition that covers the stuff that's in the free rules PDF. You only get four classes and not all the options, but at least it is something:

http://dnd-db.com

Regarding the FFG rules, they just released the Force and Destiny book earlier this month. This is the book that many people have been waiting for, and allows you to make full-fledged Jedi of various stripes, as well as other Force-users.
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ghost » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Sirine and Admins,

I would very muchy like to see a 5th Edition game run here as it's a cool system :) It may look easy but it's really not. I call it 'Hard-Mode D&D'
Ghost
The Friendliest

Postby Herzog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:53 pm

It be interesting to see a 5th ed game on the site, but the problem is as always, finding a willing DM. If you know of some one, we will help support a 5th ed game.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:42 am

Ghost wrote:Hi Sirine and Admins,

I would very muchy like to see a 5th Edition game run here as it's a cool system :) It may look easy but it's really not. I call it 'Hard-Mode D&D'
My impression is that it is less complicated than 3.5 Ed and Pathfinder. I was not a fan of 4th Ed and from what I have seen 5th Ed is better.

However, every game I have tried for 5th Edition has fizzled from DM hiatus so I have hardly had a chance to play beyond 2 combats total.

Herzog wrote:It be interesting to see a 5th ed game on the site, but the problem is as always, finding a willing DM. If you know of someone, we will help support a 5th ed game.
Yeah, I could support a 5th Edition game, but I could not DM it. I steered away from the play test Shroudeye ran over a year ago, but since then I have played 5th Ed a little bit.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:20 am

Never got a chance to play 4ed, even though i have the book around somewhere. It seemed really different with surges and such...not what i was used too...
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Obi-Wan Jacobi » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:11 am

Interesting stuff. I've been playing and DMing a 5e game since I guess just about when it came out. Combat is much more deadly and you really need to work together in order to successfully navigate it. Overall, I like it better than 4e (which I absolutely loved because of the structure it provided in terms game mechanics... I never felt like I couldn't role-play). I don't believe I'd be in a place to DM a 5e game... at least right now.
Obi-Wan Jacobi
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby PMiller » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:33 am

On a different subject, we have been trying to develop more of a Freeform gaming community as of late.

If you want to try something different, check out the new Forum here: viewforum.php?f=460
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:53 pm

So along the same lines as TV shows making good settings for games? What about movies? I remember there had been interest for creating a game based on Inception when that movie came out. Any others out there?
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:17 am

Well, movies can make decent ideas. But it really depends on what you want to do with them. I know I am using a movie I recently watched for “Life Changed Suddenly”, but I don’t want to reveal which movie and spoil the puzzle. ;)

The more I am thinking about the Impromptu RPing concepts, there are many ideas that are not necessarily perfect for a full game, but they can work great in the Impromptu Freeform. Then as things develop, they could turn into a game if the people wanted.

While I wait to see if there is more interest in the current threads over there (I know of one young writer that is excited to try if he can find time), I am thinking of a group concept on a similar theme like Falling Skies (yeah, I know it is a TV show and not a movie ;) ). But LM also mentioned trying to do some SciFi thing as well. He has been busy with RL, but he wanted to do some story-telling when he started PbP. The Impromptu Forum is a good way to try it out.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby DM Sirine » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:19 am

Hmm, intriguing! Both the offerings in the Impromptu section look great, guys. When I finally catch up with all my stuff, I would like to participate.

I think many sorts of things, be they TV show, movie, video game, comic book, etc., can be a great inspiration for a pbp game. Even if you don't take the setup directly and just run with the general feel, you have a starting point. For example, one of the things I really like about the second Captain America movie is that it has all the trappings of a traditional spy thriller, but these superhuman characters are involved, and it's treated completely seriously. So when the traitorous agents are sent to bring Captain America in, they have to account for the fact that he's much stronger than them, and his shield gives him a big advantage. So not only do they come after him in a confined space so the effectiveness of his shield is negated, they also attach en masse and use all the technology they have to slow him down.

Just that idea - a superheroic person in a very grounded setting - can be the kernel of an idea for a game. It doesn't have to be a spy thriller. It can be a different genre, whatever you like. But the general inspiration is there.

I don't know what PMiller has in mind for the Falling Skies idea, but it could be as specific as using the aliens and the exact setting, or as general as "aliens invade the Earth, and this is a story about those that oppose them."

The videogame "Last of Us" would be a good setting. You wouldn't even need zombies, just a post-apocalyptic reason for the world to be the way it is. Many, many, possibilities. I think the place to start is to identify exactly what it is you like about the source of your inspiration, and make it the core of your idea.
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Out-of-game Discussions