Spam!

This is for all questions, discussions, issues and what not that is not directly related to a campaign. Technical issues are to be posted in here as well. Finally, any important Administrator announcements will be made here as well.

Moderators: DM Sirine, DM Guildmaster, PMiller

Spam!

Postby DM Sirine » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:07 am

Urgh, spammers and spam accounts have been out of control the last few days. I have been deleting them as soon as I see them, but it seems like if I look away from the site for thirty minutes, there's twenty new accounts.

Mods, if you see spam and are able to delete it, please do. Otherwise, you don't have to report it. Admin-PMiller or I will delete it as soon as we are able.

Sorry for the spam, everyone. Of course you know not to click on it or on any link in a spammer's signature, but I have to say it anyway. Please be careful!
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spam!

Postby DM Sirine » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm about ready to turn off the ability for new accounts to register. It's hard to keep up with the amount of spam and spam accounts.

I hate doing it, because it means that random new people who find our site are unable to register and say hi, but then again, we don't have a lot of games open anyway, so new people would be a bit at a loss. If I did this, no one would really be able to join if they didn't already know someone here. If, say, someone had a friend who wanted to join, then a current member could PM us and we could open the new account registration again for them.

Otherwise, keeping up with the spam, especially during this coming holiday week, is going to be a bit daunting for me.

I welcome anyone's feedback, however! Please share your thoughts.
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PMiller » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Yeah, I was going to suggest doing that temporarily for awhile to see if this current flare up will die out. With holidays coming, now might be good.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby DM Sirine » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Okay, I've just completely disabled new registrations.

Current users, if you want to make a new account, or have a friend who wants to join, please PM myself or Admin-PMiller and we will help you. We just need to take a breather from constantly having to delete all these spam accounts.
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DM Sirine » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 am

We're having an extreme case of spam registrations, so I have turned off all registrations. I cannot keep up with deleting all these spam accounts.

Please let myself or PMiller know if you or a friend would like to register a new account. In the meantime, we will see what we can do to combat this more effectively so we can turn registrations back on.
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Out-of-game Discussions