Pathfinder Society Campaign (Open Game)

This is for all questions, discussions, issues and what not that is not directly related to a campaign. Technical issues are to be posted in here as well. Finally, any important Administrator announcements will be made here as well.

Moderators: DM Sirine, DM Guildmaster, PMiller

Pathfinder Society Campaign (Open Game)

Postby Drama » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Fair folk of Unlimited Role Playing Games, I'am announcing that I would like to run the Pathfinder Society Campaign. Installments of short adventures for those brave adventurers, daring tomb raiders and brazen heroes of Absalom. If anybody does not know what the Pathfinder Society is, it is a collection of adventures, of which five powerful factions of Absalom vie for power over Absalom. In these collection of short adventures, each player may choose a faction to hold legion too. There by advancing their faction closer to leading edge dominion and sway over the other. The factions are listed below.

-Andoran believes in freedom for all and fights tyranny
-Cheliax believes in slaving the populace of all
-Osirion believes in using past histories to solve todays problems
-Qadira value wealth and attaining power
-Taldor narcistic in appearance they value art and wealth

So what I was thinking of is setting up a Pathfinder Society Forum, where multiple games could be run. Teams can be formed or solo adventurers may brave the montage of play. I'am looking for other Dungeon Masters to become involved with offical Pathfinder Society material. All of us would start at the first Pathfinder Society adventure released and work our way up. There is several questions that I would like to ask Paizo. If we can become offical and sanctioned game within the context of Play-By-Post. I read that they have sanctioned tabletop and convention play, so why not pbp. If I can get us sanctioned would there be players willing to become apart of this event. We would need to create a character from level one with the 20 being the ability point buy. Character creation would soley be Pathfinder material. One would have to register his character and keep notes. I as a GM would report all of your findings in submitted form. As this is a big endeavor, I would be looking for DM's to help with different faction material. I was thinking that one DM could DM the Cheliax factions and one could DM the Taldor faction and so on. So what does everybody think?
Drama
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Drama » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:35 pm

Ive found out that we will probablly not be able to live up sanctioned play such as the 4hr time limit and sending physical sheets to members, but DM Sirine and I were talking and both of us would like to offer the Pathfinder Society as collecting the adventurers and GMs and running through the short adventure paths sold at Paizo. I believe that by having short adventures to run, we will take away a heavy burden with making a campaign and shorten it to were we can start to complete adventures. I grow very disheartened when I want to run an adventure and some reasons being that it doesnt work out for any one reason. Several DMs here at Unlimited have tried their hand at running living worlds were the player can have access to a motley of different avenues. I know several of you have expressed interest and I want to go with that. I was thinking that any Game Master or willing new Game Master could along with other GMs offer different scenarios within the context of the Pathfinder Society. They did mention at Paizo that the short scenarios could be offered in any part of a campaign. So what I was thinking of seeing how things unfold from the first scenario, The rising Tide and moving forward.

With all the speculation of which book to use, I am currently reading the offical published campaign setting of Pathfinder. While I'am not key on different feats and special abilities, I am learning about the world and the various intricacies. I think when Pathfinder Core is released I will have a better understanding of Pathfinder. Until then we can come up with character concepts and rough drafts as too what we envison our character to be.

Starting level 1
20 point ability buy
Keep in mind a core class and race
We can stick with the factions of Andoran, Cheliax, Taldor, Qadira and Osirion
Drama
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kirgor » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:37 am

This sounds like a great format for me. You can count on me, assuming we can drum up enough others to get something going.
Kirgor

Postby Drama » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Thats great Kirgor, so what did you have in mind for race, class and faction. Are you new to Pathfinder or are you adept at the world of Golorion?
Drama
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hector » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:47 pm

I don't know about Kirgor, but a Human Qadarian Rogue looked to be rather interesting, focusing on trade, theft and spying. Not sure which Martial proficiency to pick, but I'll probably add Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple to the sheet over the first few levels, if only because I like being different.
hector
Villager
Villager

Postby Kirgor » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:01 pm

I've used the pathfinder rules before, but not very familiar with the actual setting. I hadn't stated a preference for group because I didn't know what kind of turnout we would get, and honestly I can go any direction. Race and class are also up for debate, at present I'd say maybe cleric.
Kirgor

Postby Drama » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Im itching to start things now. Would any of you have an objection to coming up with your starting class, race and faction if you haven't already done so and I could run the scenario along with using the campaign setting. I was thinking of starting each with there own thread then possibly meshing them at some point. I want to wait for core but I dont think theres any harm in running an introduction to the game with character dialogue. The campaign starts out in the Puddles District of Absalom. A seedier side of the city with a wide assortment of thugs, thieves and cut-throats.
Drama
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kirgor » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Is it necessary for everyone in the party to be of the same faction or can competing factions work together?
Kirgor

Postby hector » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:57 pm

Well, seeing as sanctioned play bans PVP, I suspect they're expected to work together ;).
hector
Villager
Villager

Postby Drama » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:59 pm

I was hoping any of you would want to diversify factions. One could be Andoran while the other could be Cheliax. This would cause turmoil between the two because of the oppressing nature of the Cheliaxian and their history with Andorans. So yes it would give the game a three dimensional feel to it. Being very faceted to group interaction. I will try to breath life into the city of Absalom, so that you can get a feel for locations and places of interest. I will have the help of the scenarios so that will assist us in a better game. I have yet to read the first scenario so I dont know how they incorporate the factions, but if we adopt the factions, then there must be different quests for different factions to solve or complete. I will get back to all of you for an update on this.
Drama
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hector » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:07 pm

I could always pick a different faction, in fact when the full version comes out I might well do just that. The main reason I picked Qadar was because I liked the look of the feat that gives a bonus to picking pockets.
hector
Villager
Villager

Postby Kirgor » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:27 pm

I guess then my current plan is to begin work on a Half elven Cleric of Cayden Cailean, Osirion Faction.

I'm not sure how much influence you want the factions to have over a character, I was kind of leaning towards sort of only a little for myself if that is ok. I was sort of envisioning a depressed, lost individual. He has taken up adventuring to shake his life up and try to discover some meaning and purpose. So I think his base beliefs will be for Osirion, but he may be more open to other factions than some others because he may find things within those factions which he finds appealing. Let me know if this is acceptable or not.
Kirgor

Postby Rhallan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:16 am

I was thinking a wizard or sorcerer from cheliax.
Rhallan

Postby Kirgor » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:16 am

Hooray another party member....though one with questionable beliefs. Now all we need is a meatshield.
Kirgor

Postby hector » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Hmm. I'm trying to work out how a non-evil character from Cheliax might work without said character being a Drizzt-esque rebel, but it's really not coming. Lawful Neutral might possibly cover it, but only if one takes it to extremes that border on the ridiculous...

That said, I don't see what the whole "no evil characters" prohibition is all about anyway. There's nothing to stop good and evil people working together towards a common goal (increased knowledge, in this case), and not all evil characters have Chronic Backstabbing Disorder.
hector
Villager
Villager

Next

Return to Out-of-game Discussions