Can You Help Promote URPGs?

This is for all questions, discussions, issues and what not that is not directly related to a campaign. Technical issues are to be posted in here as well. Finally, any important Administrator announcements will be made here as well.

Moderators: DM Sirine, DM Guildmaster, PMiller

Can You Help Promote URPGs?

Postby DM Guildmaster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:51 am

Sirine and I have been noticing that activity has been pretty sluggish around here lately and we are looking to brainstorm some promotional efforts to try and drive more DMs and players to the site.

Any ideas you may have will be most helpful. If you can assist in any way, small or great, we would certainly appreciate it.

Some quick ideas I've come up with:

1.) Try and strike up a banner exchange with related sites. A "you run our banner and we run yours" sorta of deal.

2.) Post up a "DMs wanted" message on relevant message boards. ENWorld.net comes to mind. Also the official Wizards forums too.

3.) Perhaps try another module giveaway? Our last one went unclaimed, but perhaps we shouldn't give up?

4.) Perhaps we can try and add more features to the site? I've been contemplating an upgrade to PHPBB v3 which is more robust in a number of ways. We could also look into adding more PbP-specific mods like dice-rollers and spoiler tags that some of our DMs have requested.

Anyone have anything to add to this? Thanks in advance.
DM Guildmaster
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DM Guildmaster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:55 am

Also, I thought it would be interesting to find out where YOU first heard of this site. This may turn out to be useful information, considering we often don't know how well our promotional efforts are working, and where specifically we should focus.
DM Guildmaster
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DM Mysteria » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 am

Hi,
A little input from a newbie. It seems that people have a problem finding games when they first come by. A few (like recently) bring themselves to post and ask, but I'm sure that will not be true for all. A couple of my friends just complained to me. I'm not sure what to suggest; maybe a separate area for game idea threads with an appropriate name, and more updates of the current games area. Just a thought.

Oh and I'm pretty boring I used google.
"Egyptians lived in triangles. Tetrahedrons and sh*t!" - Judge Grady (GTA4)
DM Mysteria

Postby Sir Ivan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:58 am

I found the site on Google. I was looking for a play-by-post game and this is one of the first sites that came up.

If you are adding features, hosting online Char sheets would be a good addition. I had to register at another PbP site to host my char sheet.

I have actually put the word out to some freinds, but most of them would rather slit thier throat than play by post because of how long it takes to do anything.
Sir Ivan
Villager
Villager

Postby Aurian » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:27 pm

I saw an ad on Enworld and came here. I have brought a couple of friends on at various points but they have all fallen plauge to rl issues.

I do think some added site features would help, a one stop rpg site. Instead of as Ivan said have our CS's on one site and roll our dice on another.
Aurian
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

I found this site by following a posting in the Wizards of the Coast bulletin board system. I was looking for a PbP game and that's what the subject line said. I've been here ever since.
Scarecrow
Legend
Legend

Postby DM Sirine » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:18 pm

You know what's funny is that I originally found this site through an ad on the WotC bulletin boards too. I was looking for a d20 Modern game specifically, and that's what I found.
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Daemon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:07 pm

I actually know some people on the site in real life, and was introduced to the site when our real life games were dying. We were all moving away for college, and this was the best option to keep playing.

If I had any suggestions, it would to keep up with the site cleaning. Maybe re-organize games or something. Also, something a little more newbie friendly in the OOG section may draw in more people.

In terms of getting more people to DM, I think it's the matter of recruiting or helping some of the fledgling people on the site. I know of a lot of players who could DM, but I don't think they have the confidence or experience to do so.

I put it out there that if anyone wants to run a game, I am always open to helping story line wise, or with rules. CO-dming, etc, I am fine with it.

The last thing I will say is maybe perhaps a little more diversity in game types. I am going to try and get a modern game running, but some others would be nice. It may just be me, but I feel very burnt out with D&D as a rule set.
"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" Han Solo
Daemon

Postby DM Nothing » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:42 pm

I am currently trying to reorganise one of my 4th ed games into a more RP focused GURPS or WoD game. :)

I came across this site on Google as well. the whole Unlimitedrpgs name is a very searchable name. ^^

Some more features would be nice if possible. The spoiler button, the capability to start up Private threads and maybe an inbuilt dice roller (one that you cant modify or delete without the DM knowing)?

I am not going anywhere though, just a wishlist of things I wouldnt mind seeing, if feasible.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
DM Nothing
Spawner of Worlds
Spawner of Worlds

Postby Tabar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Actually I thnk I agree with DM D here.. D&D seems tired right now.. I'd be up for more varied games... I was having a great time with Angels BSG, but I'm sure RL is keeping him away right now.. too bad that..

I actually came here at the request of DM Nerul.. he's a friend from another board that we had been at for several yearss and he mentioned he needed a couple of players for his Demon Web game.. so here I came, and I really dig this site.. and the consistency of posting is great as well.. granted we have this odd slump at the moment, but it'll pass...

The new version of the board would be a great idea, I just hope it isn't a costly one... I personaly don't mind jumping to crystal castle for die rolls and i use tangled web for character sheets that need it.. but hosting them here would be cool if it is a possibility..

:::Steps down and hands soap box to next person in line:::
Shadis Tabar... just a man looking for his fortune...
can't blame a man for tryin...
Tabar
Hero
Hero

Postby Daemon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:07 pm

A suggestion popped into my head. Maybe instead of buying people mod's, you could buy people/groups rule sets? They aren't that expensive if you know where to buy them, especially via Amazon or Ebay. You can find used copies of off brand rules cheap.

Just an idea.
"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" Han Solo
Daemon

Postby DM Guildmaster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Wow, some great input and suggestions! Thanks everyone who has chimed in so far! :)
DM Guildmaster
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DM Sirine » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:35 am

Yeah, thanks, everyone. This is good to know.

I will do some "spring cleaning" and lock and hide any game that hasn't had a post in the month of February, for starters.

I'll ask DMs to update their game info in the "Game Info and Listings" section, as it is out of date, and we need to reflect all the current games we offer, open or not.

Should we do something about Living Reth? We don't seem to use it too much, though it gets occasional use, and I like the idea of a freeform roleplay area. It's just that it takes up a lot of space for the amount of use it sees. Also, I like the classic games area, but this too takes up a lot of space for something that is only a reading archive. Maybe the new phpBB v 3 will have the ability to collapse a section, so we can still have these things on the front page without taking as much space?

Any ideas for how to re-organize the games would be welcome, as well!
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DM Guildmaster » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:34 am

One thing we could easily do, is to move the "General Discussion" threads to the very top of the list, so that it follows the "Getting Started" area.

That seems a little more logical to me, and it would also place the "Game Info & Listings" thread area 2nd in rank from the top.

Perhaps we're confusing new folks who have to scroll through all of the individual games to find the areas they need?
DM Guildmaster
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Out-of-game Discussions