Red Raven [OOC]

Among the mysteries that surround the Fog Peak Mountains, perhaps the most fantastic is the legend of the Jarl of the North Wind. Supposedly, somewhere in these remote peaks, this supernatural sovereign dwells in a fabulous ice palace surrounded by a golden fortune rich enough to tempt even the most accomplished rogue. Whimsical and vindictive, he jealously guards his castle’s secret location and throws intruders into the icy maze beneath his treasury, dooming them to wander through the twisting passageways until they inevitably freeze to death.
Of course, most sensible people consider these tales to be little more than myth. After all, no form of magical divination has ever succeeded in finding this Jarl or his supposed palace.
But the stories persist, and through the years a surprising number of people have set off into the mountains to look for the fabled fortune; most of these were never heard from again. Most sages agree that although the Jarl and his fortune probably don’t exist, there is something in the mountains that makes them dangerous to explore. The stories remain popular, though, and every once in a while a traveler emerges from the wilderness claiming to have seen the Jarl, his famous treasure, and his infamous maze of ice.

Moderator: PMiller

Red Raven [OOC]

Postby PMiller » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:29 am

Thread to discuss the new PF game.

Initial thoughts:
- Standard Character Gen for between levels 3-5, depending on the adventure I select to run.
- I will likely use a published adventure, but not an Adventure Path.
- Not planning to allow any funny business that will complicate things (ie. 3rd party material)
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Re: Getting Started [OOC]

Postby PMiller » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:29 am

FrancisJohn wrote:If we are doing 3.5, can I choose a swordsage from Tome of Battle? If we play PF, can I choose a swordsage from 3.5? :lol: :lol: :lol:
As in, convert everything skill related from swordsage to the pathfinder equivalent skills? I currently have a 3.5 warblade that uses PF skills, and there haven't been any hiccups.

If not, I'd be happy to play either a PF wizard or paladin. I’d can also be convinced to play a cleric or druid. Any level is fine with me.
I was not planning to go 3.5ed, as it is easier on me to DM for PF now as I am losing my 3.5ed knowledge.

Tome of Battle would classified as "funny business" and I am not a fan of DMing that book for 3.5edition either. ;)
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby FrancisJohn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:29 am

Totally makes sense from your point of view. Whatever game you run I'm happy to play in.

So for me, I'd like to play one of the following depending on what the party needs:
Wizard
Cleric
Paladin

Would making an older character with aging effects be a part of funny business?

How many points for point-buy or do we want to roll? (gasp!)
FrancisJohn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Seftan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Hello to those I've not met, I'm happy to fill any role necessary with my favorites being tanks, rogues, and casters ;)

Any restriction on alignments? Standard starting gold for higher levels I assume, approval needed for magic item purchases?

** thinking about a ratfolk wizard or mage/theif or something like that but I will defer to any who strongly wish to play the mage
Seftan
Hero
Hero

Postby FrancisJohn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Hey how ya doing, nice to meet you! I’m not hellbent on the wizard. I’ll take some divine caster. If we need more melee I can go Paladin or some kind of battle druid or cleric. I’d be happy to be support/control too.
FrancisJohn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Seftan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Nice to meet you as well! I'll drag my heels a bit and see what everyone else wants to be, if I'm to be the glass cannon then so be it but honestly I'm just here to roll some dice.

* If it's put to a vote as far as level goes then let me vote for closer to 5 than 3... I've played more baby characters in my gaming career than I care to recall.
Seftan
Hero
Hero

Postby FrancisJohn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:29 pm

I think it would totally rad, fun, and challenging if we played a party of 4 wizards. We could all come from the same wizarding university and focus on different schools.

Even if we are level 5, we can still play like we are newbs getting our first wizarding experience.

Really though I’m down for anything, but I always thought it would be cool to have an adventuring bunch of wizards trying to make their way in a melee world.
Last edited by FrancisJohn on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrancisJohn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby sirfinn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:17 pm

4 wizards, what could go wrong with that. :D

So basics
ok so point buy?
Coin start?
Can we craft?
Level 5?
sirfinn
Legend
Legend

Postby FrancisJohn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:40 pm

I’m down with level 5. Gets us wizards level 3 spells and three feats.
FrancisJohn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby FrancisJohn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Getting kind of amped for this idea if you guys are up for it. We’d have to plan pretty hard. We can trade spell books. We can split up cantrips as needed. Split up the knowledges. Things we’d need:

Blaster
Control
Traps/utility
Healing
Touch/Ranged touch/ray/spread
Summoning
FrancisJohn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Seftan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Oh my god get out of my head!!!

That's so weird but I've been dreaming up an all wizards game for weeks! I am definitely down.

Circle of Eight rides again!
Seftan
Hero
Hero

Postby Seftan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:57 pm

Magus would make a decent tank, Alchemist gets disable device, Witch has all the heals...

But I guess if we share books we all need to be the same class, not quite sure how cross comparable class spells are in PF.

We could have a few dual classes for the heals and traps, or rely on potions, wands, and feats...

So exciting!
Seftan
Hero
Hero

Postby FrancisJohn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:34 am

Sirfinn, are you ready to make history?

Aura, where you hiding?
FrancisJohn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby FrancisJohn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:14 am

Maybe I'll be a rat wizard too

FrancisJohn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Aura » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:45 am

I didn't see the new thread, Pmiller just let me know. Catching up on what all has been said.

Level: I actually like anything in the 3-5 range. I personally prefer the lower end, because it keeps the game lower for a longer time, but can be flexible on tis.

Alignment restrictions: I'm not sure what was meant on this issue, but I'm comfortable with the soft restrictions of PFS.

Classes: I'm a little leery of the all arcane/wizards game, as those things are hard to maintain. Not totally opposed, but leery. I'm less concerned about an arcane theme game, where, perhaps, the cleric is a worshiper of a deity with a magic portfolio. Or, as another example, the fighter is one of the guards at the magical academy. Etc.

Sharing Spellbooks: Any class that actually uses spellbooks should be able to share spells that are on both classes' list. However, note witches don't use spellbooks at all, but instead feed magical formulae to their familiars. Kinda kicks them out of the process.

Rats: I'm ok with rats. Or, as a softer guideline, all small size.

Just some off the cuff things to get started with.
Aura
Hero
Hero

Next

Return to Red Raven [PF]