RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Among the mysteries that surround the Fog Peak Mountains, perhaps the most fantastic is the legend of the Jarl of the North Wind. Supposedly, somewhere in these remote peaks, this supernatural sovereign dwells in a fabulous ice palace surrounded by a golden fortune rich enough to tempt even the most accomplished rogue. Whimsical and vindictive, he jealously guards his castle’s secret location and throws intruders into the icy maze beneath his treasury, dooming them to wander through the twisting passageways until they inevitably freeze to death.
Of course, most sensible people consider these tales to be little more than myth. After all, no form of magical divination has ever succeeded in finding this Jarl or his supposed palace.
But the stories persist, and through the years a surprising number of people have set off into the mountains to look for the fabled fortune; most of these were never heard from again. Most sages agree that although the Jarl and his fortune probably don’t exist, there is something in the mountains that makes them dangerous to explore. The stories remain popular, though, and every once in a while a traveler emerges from the wilderness claiming to have seen the Jarl, his famous treasure, and his infamous maze of ice.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Lattice Inn (Pre-game IC)

Postby FrancisJohn » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Ever the laborious and methodical, Ky'rie does his best thinking aloud. Streams of questions flow from the elf wizard.

"What about motive?
Why would someone steal the key?
Revenge?
A nefarious vendetta?
Ransom?
Why the Raven?
Or an imposter?
A practical joke?
How rude!
Maybe the thief was only an agent, working on someone else's behalf?"


Ky'rie closes his eyes and rubs his forehead, and it almost looks like his is in pain trying to piece together a puzzle.

Actions | Show
I'm not sure we ever tried a knowledge check. If this isn't applicable, feel free to ignore.

History and Local both have a +8, and I rolled an underwhelming 17
https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread ... st13681095
Ky'rie's Mini-Stats | Show
Character Sheet
Summoning Chart
HP: 29/29
Conditions:

Initiative: +12
Perception: +3

AC: 14 Flat: 10 Touch: 14 CMD:
Fort: 2 Reflex: 5 Will: 4
Resist Fire: 5

Telekinetic Fist: 7/7 remaining

Cantrips: 4/4 unlimited
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Mage Hand
Open/Close

Level 1: 5/5 remaining
Liberating Command
Summon Monster I
Summon Monster I
Grease
Open

Level 2: 4/4 remaining
Levitate
Summon Monster II
Scorching Ray
Open
User avatar
FrancisJohn
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby Aura » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:08 pm

Char listens, and nods through most of what Ootah says. Her words seem to tail to that theme, "Curious about the details of things. Can Mr Luuko step by step us through? Hears sound, comes in, and sees what? More details, is better." Her eyes settle on the rector, looking for answers, as she steps a bit closer to him to make insure she doesn't miss a word.

Mini Stats | Show
Char
Female Neutral Good Half-Elf Bonded Hedge Witch
Level 4, Init 1, HP 25/25, DR x, Speed 30'
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14
Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 4
CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
- MW Comp Longbow (Str 12) (20 standard, 20 blunt) +4 (1d8+1, x3)
- Cold Iron Dagger (-) +3 (1d4+1, x2)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 12
Conditions None
Expenditures 5sp
User avatar
Aura
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby Seftan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:09 pm

"Yes, where was Mr. Larno in relation to Mr. Lukko when each man had his sighting? And we will need to know in detail which direction Mr. Larno saw the bandit run."

Tibbideau, for all his pent-up destructive power felt magically useless at this moment. He knew of spells that would allow a more learned mage to pull answers from the ethers... but try as he might, Tibbs had never been gifted in divination.


Actions | Show
Free:
Standard:
Tibbideau's Mini-Stats | Show
Tibbideau's Character Sheet
HP: 26/26
Conditions:
Initiative: 4
Perception: 7 (15 <30' Scent) (5 sight only)
Scent: Detect Invisible within 5'
Darkvision 90'

AC: 14 Flat: 11 Touch: 14
Fort: 3 Reflex: 4 Will: 3

Items In Hand:
[R]
[L] walking stick (arcane bond)

Pearls of Power: 4 / 4 daily

Sorc/Wiz Cantrips: Unlimited
S - Detect Magic
S - Detect Poison
S - Read Magic
W - Mage Hand
W - Penumbra
W - Prestidigitation
W - Ray of Frost

Sorc Level 1: 4/4 remaining
Magic Missile
Enlarge Person

Wiz Level 1: 4/4 remaining
Magic Missile
Burning Hands
Comprehend Languages
Unseen Servant

Wiz Level 2: 3/3 remaining
Flaming Sphere
Knock
Invisibility
User avatar
Seftan
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 am
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby Herzog » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:38 am

"Hmmm," Syndus replied to the reeves answer and looked in thought a the reliquary. The spot for the artifact was raised and more or less in plain sight. It was likely high enough to not be blocked by a speaker, but not so high that some one could still reach it.

"The thief must have been tall...what color was the smoke?"

The tiefling tried to form a picture in his mind. The thief sneaks in somehow, snatches the Key. The reactor stumbles across him, and the thief disappears in a puff of smoke. Either that was simply a distraction so the thief could sneak out or he possessed magic. Somehow, Syndus didn't think it was the latter. Then later, the half-orc farmer spots a figure carrying a sack running away.

"What other entrances are there to Hall, and where is the farmer's home in relationship to the hall?"

With that last bit, they could figure out a direction maybe...
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby PMiller » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 am

Morning - AzurestoneBy both accounts, the only thing the pair of witnesses can attest to with any description is the red cape with feathered fringe. The man himself had some red feathers adorning his hood or headdress as well. The red cape and feathers were the unique trademark of the Red Raven, so who else could it be? It was nighttime and neither could provide definitive details on the man’s face, except they think he had brown or black hair and no beard.

Neither witness nor the Reeve were able to provide any answers to Ky’rie’s questions. No ransom notice was given, and any potential motive the Red Raven might have for taking the Vernal Key was the nefarious bandit’s knowledge alone apparently. From the stories of the Red Raven, one would think his purposes were not so petty to be simply common thievery.

Char’s and Syndus’s requests for more details were hardly illuminating. The Rector saw the man take the Vernal key and then disappear. He cannot remember any unusual sounds or smells. The smoke was… smoke colored maybe? He did not see how the Red Raven entered, having come upon the man mid-progress in stealing the artifact.

Larno was happy to show the location he was standing when the Red Raven passed by. It was several houses away from the Inclusive Hall and more towards the edge of town. After passing by the Red Raven headed West out of town.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12564
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Lattice Inn (Pre-game IC)

Postby Sandstar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:33 am

Once all business inside was concluded, the group followed Larno the farmer (and star witness) out of the Inclusive Hall out towards the edge of Azurestone. Ootah still felt there was something important about everyone only using the red cloak to decide that it was the Red Raven who dunnit. She had learnt at an early age that it paid to be sure about the precise nature of things, like the identity of tasty-looking but brightly coloured mushrooms, and not to rely on first impressions. Trudging up the road towards Larno's farmhouse, she put the matter aside for now, deciding that she would speak to the others about it later.

As Larno explained what he had seen, she gazed out towards the edge of town and the wilderness beyond. She was keen to get back out there; civilisation was all very well, but most of it she could take or leave. Except beer, obviously. She then checked that she was carrying all her meagre belongings, and hadn't left anything behind at the inn. Wondering if any further preparations were needed before they got going, she turned around to ask her friends: "So... ready to head out now, yeah?"

She then began a careful inspection of the ground, first along the road, then along its edges, on the off chance that there were any footprints or other clues left behind that might provide more information on who Larno might have seen running past. She wasn't holding out much hope, given that this was a busy town and lots of folk could have passed by here in the time between Larno's chance sighting in the middle of the night and the discovery of the theft early in the morning.


Combat Info | Show
Free action:
Move action:
Standard action: Take 10 on Survival check (20 total) to find footprints or any other clue that might corroborate the farmer's story, and give an idea where this person might have been heading to; essentially she's looking for a trail to follow. [NB this post was amended to reflect the impossibility of taking 20 on such a Survical check]

HP: 42/42
AC: 17 Flat: 17 Touch: 10
Fort: 7 Reflex: 1 Will: 6
Items In Hand:
[R] +1 Club
[L] +1 Large wooden shield

Conditions in effect:
Initiative: +0
Perception: +8
Darkvision 60'

Ammo: 20 bullets

Spells Available:
Cantrips: 4
1st Level: 4 (inc Domain spell)
2nd Level: 3 (inc Domain spell)

Abilities:
Last edited by Sandstar on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sandstar
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:38 am

Re: Lattice Inn (Pre-game IC)

Postby FrancisJohn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:36 pm

As the party began to approach the outskirts of town, he adjusted the straps on his haversack. “Are we planning an all day excursion? A simple morning sojourn? Or something that will keep us out after dark?” There wasn’t any emotion attached to any of the presented options, but the question seemed to be asked in a plain academic timbre.

Actions | Show
Ky'rie's Mini-Stats | Show
Character Sheet
Summoning Chart
HP: 29/29
Conditions:

Initiative: +12
Perception: +3

AC: 14 Flat: 10 Touch: 14 CMD:
Fort: 2 Reflex: 5 Will: 4
Resist Fire: 5

Telekinetic Fist: 7/7 remaining

Cantrips: 4/4 unlimited
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Mage Hand
Open/Close

Level 1: 5/5 remaining
Liberating Command
Summon Monster I
Summon Monster I
Grease
Open

Level 2: 4/4 remaining
Levitate
Summon Monster II
Scorching Ray
Open
User avatar
FrancisJohn
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby Aura » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Seemingly unnerved, Char thanks the Reeve for his and the witness' time, nonetheless. Before leaving, she glances back, over her shoulder, as if there were answers to be had. Turning back in the direction of her friends, the witch finally takes her leave. Fielding a question Ky'rie on the way out of town, Char explains, "We have no way of knowing. I'm assuming it could be a while. If we have to, we can find things to eat, but it will slow us down. Any food we bring with us will speed us along."

At the scene where the red cloaked man was last scene, Char sees her begin to look for any footprints that might yet yield some direction. Attempting to read the signs her wild friend, Char does her best to assist the effort, sometimes pointing out details the otherwise perceptive druid may have missed. There seems to be a glimmer of hope in her voice as she works.
Actions | Show
Assist Ootah's tracking (22 = successful, pushes Ootah to 32 with a +2):
https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread ... st13703418

Mini Stats | Show
Char
Female Neutral Good Half-Elf Bonded Hedge Witch
Level 4, Init 1, HP 25/25, DR x, Speed 30'
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14
Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 4
CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
- MW Comp Longbow (Str 12) (20 standard, 20 blunt) +4 (1d8+1, x3)
- Cold Iron Dagger (-) +3 (1d4+1, x2)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 12
Conditions None
Expenditures 5sp
User avatar
Aura
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby Herzog » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:41 am

Syndus nodded his thanks to the Reeve and the rector. He then followed the others out of the hall as they followed the half-orc farmer. The group seemed to have all the information they could get from the witnesses. Now it was just a matter of hopefully finding some tracks and following them. The cynical side of Syndus wondered if the thief was careless enough to leave a trail to follow. Either way, Ootah was a good tracker and immediately set to work.

As Syndus watched Ootah and Char look for clues of a trail, he quickly did a mental inventory. He had never shaken his habit of making sure all his possessions were on his person when ever he went somewhere. His pack with his provisions was already cinched to his back and he had his weapons and other items.

He responded the question of the nature of the excursion.

"Right, I agree with Char. Best prepare for the worst. Hopefully, this thief's den isn't too far away. He has to run with the key as well and hike in with all his provisions as well...."

The magus waited to see if Ootah found anything to follow.


Mini Stats | Show
Syndus
Male Tiefling Magus (Hexcrafter)
Level 4, Init 5, HP 30/30, DR -, Speed 30'
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15 CMD 18
Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 4
CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
- MW Comp Longbow +1 +4 (1d8+1, x3)
- MW Scimitar +1 +8 (1d6+5, 18-20/x2)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 9, Cha 6
Conditions None
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby PMiller » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:45 am

Morning - AzurestoneOotah's skill proved capable enough to find the prints of a man-sized runner, likely male heading out of town on the hard packed dirt of the road. In that direction laid 60 miles of forest called the Boarwood that was an uncharted arboreal wilderness between Azurestone and the Fog Peak Mountains. If the runner made no effort to conceal his tracks, it would probably easier to trail him in the forest on the softer ground, but the going would be slowed down as well.

How long such a chase might last was anyone's guess.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12564
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Lattice Inn (Pre-game IC)

Postby Sandstar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Ootah grinned and nodded in silent satisfaction at Char: against the odds, the two of them had managed to find the likely trail of whoever it was that the farmer had seen running by. She then turned to the others and briefly explained what they had found.

"So... 'm guessing we might spend the night out in the woods, and maybe more than one night too, until we track him down, yeah? So does anyone still need to get anything from the inn, a store or some such, before we head out? Might be a while before we make it back to town..."

She scratched her chin as she gazed along the road again, imagining what might have happened earlier: "This guy was runnin' on his way outta town, but chances are, he'd be slowin' down once he hit the treeline and realised nobody was after him. Might make his tracks harder to follow though - he coulda have taken the time to hide 'em. Guess we'll see how good this guy is at hidin' in the woods..." A tone of excitement crept into her voice towards the end; despite herself, she found she was keen to test her woodwise skills against the local celebrity vigilante who presumably knew this forest like the back of his hand.

She waited to see if anyone needed any last-minute errands taken care of. Once everyone was ready, she checked with Char and started carefully following the trail down the road out of town.


Combat Info | Show
Free action:
Move action:
Standard action: Once everyone else is ready, I assumed that Char and Ootah (and Garcon!) would lead the party out of town, initially moving at half speed while carefully following the trail.

HP: 42/42
AC: 17 Flat: 17 Touch: 10
Fort: 7 Reflex: 1 Will: 6
Items In Hand:
[R] +1 Club
[L] +1 Large wooden shield

Conditions in effect:
Initiative: +0
Perception: +8
Darkvision 60'

Ammo: 20 bullets

Spells Available:
Cantrips: 4
1st Level: 4 (inc Domain spell)
2nd Level: 3 (inc Domain spell)

Abilities:
User avatar
Sandstar
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:38 am

Re: Lattice Inn (Pre-game IC)

Postby FrancisJohn » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Ky'rie gets a few butterflies as he begins to sense Ootah's excitement. By the time he his done checking his bag to make sure he has plently of rations (he does in fact have a whole week!), his smile turns into a full-fledged outward grin. "Ready to go, mates!"

Actions | Show
Ky'rie's Mini-Stats | Show
Character Sheet
Summoning Chart
HP: 29/29
Conditions:

Initiative: +12
Perception: +3

AC: 14 Flat: 10 Touch: 14 CMD:
Fort: 2 Reflex: 5 Will: 4
Resist Fire: 5

Telekinetic Fist: 7/7 remaining

Cantrips: 4/4 unlimited
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Mage Hand
Open/Close

Level 1: 5/5 remaining
Liberating Command
Summon Monster I
Summon Monster I
Grease
Open

Level 2: 4/4 remaining
Levitate
Summon Monster II
Scorching Ray
Open
User avatar
FrancisJohn
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby Seftan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Tibbs buys more trail food at the supply shop, a long with another waterskin and a small hammock. He also picks up a large bag of dog food and some small saddlebags for Garçon to carry the food in.

Having quite a keen nose, Tibbs makes himself helpful anytime Ootah needs it with the tracks.


Actions | Show
Free: use Scent ability to aid tracking
Standard: buy 8 days halfling rations (16g), 1 small waterskin (1g), 6 days dog feed (3s)
Tibbideau's Mini-Stats | Show
Tibbideau's Character Sheet
HP: 26/26
Conditions:
Initiative: 4
Perception: 7 (15 <30' Scent) (5 sight only)
Scent: Detect Invisible within 5'
Darkvision 90'

AC: 14 Flat: 11 Touch: 14
Fort: 3 Reflex: 4 Will: 3

Items In Hand:
[R]
[L] walking stick (arcane bond)

Pearls of Power: 4 / 4 daily

Sorc/Wiz Cantrips: Unlimited
S - Detect Magic
S - Detect Poison
S - Read Magic
W - Mage Hand
W - Penumbra
W - Prestidigitation
W - Ray of Frost

Sorc Level 1: 4/4 remaining
Magic Missile
Enlarge Person

Wiz Level 1: 4/4 remaining
Magic Missile
Burning Hands
Comprehend Languages
Unseen Servant

Wiz Level 2: 3/3 remaining
Flaming Sphere
Knock
Invisibility
User avatar
Seftan
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 am
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby Herzog » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:28 am

On a fit of self doubt, Syndus double checked his back on trail rations as the talk of being out of town for longer than a few days arose. The magus double checked his rations, making sure that he did indeed buy some extra when the group arrived in town. Satisfied, the red skinned tiefling cinched his pack back up and threw it back over his shoulder.

Syndus did a low whistle to call his familiar. Fang had been keeping it's distance this morning. The little dinosaur looking creature would have been an unusual sight for the villagers at the town meeting. At any rate, Fang bounded out from some underbrush, did a few circles, screeched and hopped onto Syndus's back and climbed to his shoulder.

With his familiar settled, Syndus nodded to the others.

"Alright, let's see where this leads, eh?"


spoiler: show
ok if i retroactively buy a weeks worth of trail rations...since every one else is. trail rations x8 = 4gp


Mini Stats | Show
Syndus
Male Tiefling Magus (Hexcrafter)
Level 4, Init 5, HP 30/30, DR -, Speed 30'
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15 CMD 18
Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 4
CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
- MW Comp Longbow +1 +4 (1d8+1, x3)
- MW Scimitar +1 +8 (1d6+5, 18-20/x2)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 9, Cha 6
Conditions None
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: RR: The Harvest Festival (IC)

Postby Aura » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Char watched on impassively as her companions prepared for the trip, be it by additional purchases or checking of current possessions. If she had any concern over having the right things for the trip, it didn't show. Once the group was reassembled, the young witch's nod signified her agreement to the general sentiment of readiness. "The sooner he steps off the trail, the better," she observes, returning her gaze to the tracks of the group's quarry. "I won't think he'd want to double back, but we should have a spotter or two keep an eye out for dangers... Getting into the woods, about anything can happen."

Mini Stats | Show
Char
Female Neutral Good Half-Elf Bonded Hedge Witch
Level 4, Init 1, HP 25/25, DR x, Speed 30'
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14
Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 4
CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
- MW Comp Longbow (Str 12) (20 standard, 20 blunt) +4 (1d8+1, x3)
- Cold Iron Dagger (-) +3 (1d4+1, x2)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 12
Conditions None
Expenditures 5sp
User avatar
Aura
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Red Raven [PF]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron