FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Image
A cataclysm of flooding was destroying the world, the waters to eventually rise and leave the mountains as islands scattered throughout. The gods showed the peoples floating ore and wizards spelled it to levitate. Some of the doomed cities and realms were able to salvage themselves by quickly magicking the ore in the foundations of their cities to float them into the sky. Now sailing ships float through air and winged mounts carry transportation and trade between the islands on the roiling seas and in the sky.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby LMiller » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Image
Leolamin nodded at Boris when the shot scraped the vulture.

He glanced around to see the others loading the ballista again. "Let's try to hit them again, Boris." the rakashan said, and reloaded.

Leolamin was curious of what Beldock would do if he never comes back. He shook off the feeling as his companion grunted and fired again.

GM | Show
Please roll for me. 1d8

Edit: Rolled 3, missed.
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby Herzog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:43 am

Image Image

The goblin riders hadn't made as much progress closing the distance as Thad and Jakamo had figured. The pair still quickly loaded the aft ballista and took positions for firing.

The chants from the closing skiff were becoming more audible and starting to wear on the pair.

"Steady now!" Thad commented to his comrade.

"At least da be in proper range now!" Jakamo replied.

The pair fired the ballista and commenced reloading it once more.

GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3249
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby Kaeryth Klaern » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

“Okay, Captain, I’ll try,” Kaeryth said, holding his hands out toward the wheel.

He could feel the ebb and flow of magical energy between him and the control stone. It was a tangible thing, like heat, only he could control it if he focused. Timing, the captain had emphasized. The timing would be essential. The captain had also mentioned two possibilities; one, to bring the ship closer, and the second, to turn broadside. Kaeryth wasn’t sure what was best in this situation. Broadside seemed to him to be presenting a nice big target for the other ship to run into, but that was only if they were suicidal. He didn’t think most ship captains were, but you never knew.

The captain wouldn’t have mentioned it if it was a bad idea, he reasoned. So he tried that now. He focused his attention on the other ship, then reached out to the flow of magic at what he hoped was just the right moment, and pivoted the ship to present broadsides to the other ship

“Hey, fellows!” he called out to the crew. “I’m turning the ship broadsides now. Wait to fire until the maneuver is done, and the ship will be steady for you!”

spoiler: show
[Make two 30 degree turns over the next two rounds.]
User avatar
Kaeryth Klaern
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:32 am

Aboard The Lady SlipperImage
The Captain commented, “Very good,Kaeryth. As they get closer, we can slowly edge around to reduce their closure rate. But at some point we are going to have to deal with that skiff load of goblins. They will likely want to board us and it looks like they will outnumber us if they do.”

Corsair did not appear to be worried about such a fight, but then he was not prone to showing fear or giving into hysteria.

The airship finished swinging around and presented the Port side to meet the oncoming goblins. Both vultures carrying goblins were within short range of the two batteries.


Combat Information | Show
Image

Round 4

Initiative Order
Kearyth, Captain Corsair - JOKER
Thad, Jakamo - Queen Spades <--
Leolamin & Boris - Jack Clubs
Goblin Grunts Aft - Queen Hearts [HOLD for Forward Grunts]
Goblin Grunts Forward - 10 Spades
Goblin Riders & Vultures - 6 Diamonds

Actions:
Assumed Kaeryth finished pivot of the ship with his Joker.

Enemy Combat Stats:
Goblins – Parry 5, Toughness 4
Giant Vultures – Parry 5, Toughness 5 (farther one shaken)
Goblin Skiff – Toughness 13


You guys are up Round 4
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12672
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby Herzog » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:38 am

Image Image

Thad and Jakamo finished reloading the aft ballista and took up positions for another shot. The ship had been turned to present a broadside and an even platform for the ballista.

"Better hit this time!" Thad warned his comrade. Both men knew the seriousness of the situation.

Jakamo merely grinned as he took aim and sighted down the ballista bolt. They had better make this shot count.

The sailor pulled the firing lever and sent another bolt down range. Then the pair hurriedly reloaded.

spoiler: show
Shooting d6 at closer goblin vulture: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread ... st12285341
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3249
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby LMiller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Image
Leolamin cursed in his native language of his tribe as the shot missed very badly.

"くそ! We need to kill at least one of the flying creatures." the rakashan shouted, and reloaded.

Boris fired another, right after Jackomo. Leo thought that was a good idea since the first shot would draw attention. His ballista won't be seen at first; it might be a surprise for them. This time it hit, but only scraped the vulture, the goblin still able to ride.

"Why is it this hard to hit them?!" he mumbled under his breath in an angry tone. His shuriken would do better when they get closer.

Actions | Show
Ballista shot at vulture. (6,5)


Combat Information | Show
Leolamin Character Sheet

Defenses: Parry-6, Toughness-5
Bennies: 3/3
Power Points: 15/15
Wounds: none

Weapon in hand: none
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:14 am

Aboard The Lady SlipperImage Image
The aft ballista team's aim was true this time. The spear flew straight into the torso of the vulture and poked out the other end. It stiffed in death, the wings no longer keeping it aloft and it tumbled downward with the goblin falling off to tumble with it screaming.

The forward team put their spear on target too. The already shaken and struggling vulture got a broken wing from the weapon slamming into it. Both it and rider tumbled downward, sharing the same fate as the other pair.

Image
The Captain smiled and said, "Nice shooting, gentlemen. Smartly done."

Image
The goblin manned skiff continued its unrelenting approach, heedless of their two vulture riders being shot out of the sky. Their warchanting continued. The range to the bow section of the oncoming skiff was still just inside of short range.


Combat Information | Show
Image

Round 5

Initiative Order
Thad, Jakamo - Queen Hearts <--
Kearyth, Captain Corsair - 9 Spades
Leolamin & Boris - 2 Spades
Goblin Grunts Forward - 6 Spades [HOLD for Aft Grunts]
Goblin Grunts Aft - 2 Diamonds

Actions:
Goblin Skiff continued to close by, 16 yds and turned slightly

Enemy Combat Stats:
Goblins – Parry 5, Toughness 4
Goblin Skiff – Toughness 13


You guys are up Round 5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12672
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby Herzog » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:55 am

Image Image

"Hah! Got em! " Jakamo took a second to pump his fist.

"Hey, back to it! Still a boat load coming to carve our spleens out!" Thad warned. The other man showing some worry as the goblins approached.

The pair had finished reloading. Jakamo once again took to aiming the after ballista. With such a big target it would be hard to miss the goblin skiff. But hitting something on the other boat that would actually slow them down was another matter.

The firing lever was pressed, sending another bolt out from the ship. It sailed between the space in seconds.


spoiler: show
Shooting d6 at closer goblin skiff: 5,18
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3249
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby Kaeryth Klaern » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Kaeryth raised his voice to whoop when the ballistae slammed into the big vultures and dropped them from the sky.

“Good work!” he called to the men. “Keep it up, fellows.”

Inwardly, he watched the other ship approach with growing concern. It was closing. Would they stop, he wondered, or increase speed.

“Captain,” he said, under his breath, taking care to hold the ship steady. “Do you think they’re going to ram us? Or will they pull close so they can board?”

Kaeryth stat block | Show
Defenses: Parry 5, Toughness 6
Bennies: 3/3
Power Points: 10/10
Wounds: None.

Weapon in Hand: None


Lady Slipper stat block | Show
Current Speed: 0 yards/round
Acceleration: 0 yards/round
User avatar
Kaeryth Klaern
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby LMiller » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Image
Leolamin grinned when the vultures went down. He felt happy, and high-fived his companion. That was what he saw Beldock do to other humans, and thought it was a good time to use it.

"We did it Boris! Now let's fire at their skiff," the rakashan said ready to fire when Boris is.

Boris grunted after the high five, and Leo wasn't sure if he used it correctly. Sometimes human customs are very difficult for him.

The shot hit the skiff, causing it to rock. It was doing good.

Actions | Show
Ballista shot at skiff(5,15)


Combat Information | Show
Leolamin Character Sheet

Defenses: Parry-6, Toughness-5
Bennies: 3/3
Power Points: 15/15
Wounds: none

Weapon in hand: none
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:18 am

Aboard The Lady SlipperImage
The heavy spear crashed into the skiff’s bow, making a splintering hole and disrupted the rhythm of the goblins fanning the air to propel the floating ship. A moment later the large fan used like a rudder fell from the stern, spinning and fluttering down to the sea far below. The ballista shot must have broken something.

Despite the damage the two banks of oar-like fans continued to propel the skiff forward, making a direct line towards the Lady Slipper.

Image Image
Boris peered over at the goblin ship after Leo’s exclamation. He huffed, “Right, that got them good. Pity none of the buggers was skewered, but they got problems with handling now.”

Captain Corsair nodded, “Indeed, they will have a harder time steering with that rudder gone.”

“It would appear they are possibly trying to ram and board us, Kaeryth. Chasing us will be too hard with a decrease in their maneuverability.”


Combat Information | Show
Image

Round 6

Initiative Order
Leolamin & Boris - 10 Hearts <--
Goblin Grunts Forward - King Clubs [HOLD for Aft Grunts]
Goblin Grunts Aft - 5 Diamonds
Kearyth, Captain Corsair - 5 Clubs
Thad, Jakamo - 4 Diamonds

Actions:
Skiff Wounded (retained control), but Critical hit to steering.
Skiff closed by 16 more yards

Enemy Combat Stats:
Goblins – Parry 5, Toughness 4
Goblin Skiff – Toughness 13; 1 Wound (Steering damaged)


LMiller is up Round 6
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12672
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby LMiller » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Image
Leolamin nodded in agreement to his companion and reloaded.

"There coming closer so it will be easier to hit," he said and waited for Boris to fire.

The shot hit the skiff again, and Leo was happy. Until it bounced off the boat without any damage.

Actions | Show
Ballista shot at skiff(6,8)


Combat Information | Show
Leolamin Character Sheet

Defenses: Parry-6, Toughness-5
Bennies: 3/3
Power Points: 15/15
Wounds: none

Weapon in hand: none
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:17 am

Aboard The Lady SlipperImage
The goblins were undeterred by the ballistae shots.

"Goblins burn, goblins cut,"
"Goblins eat, goblin rut,"
"We cum for ya,"
"Gonna kill ya,"
"Den gonna eat yar mutt."

The skiff continued straight towards the sleeker Lady Slipper.


Combat Information | Show
Image

Round 6

Initiative Order
Leolamin & Boris - 10 Hearts
Goblin Grunts Forward - King Clubs [HOLD for Aft Grunts]
Goblin Grunts Aft - 5 Diamonds
Kearyth, Captain Corsair - 5 Clubs <--
Thad, Jakamo - 4 Diamonds

Actions:
Skiff closed by 16 more yards

Enemy Combat Stats:
Goblins – Parry 5, Toughness 4
Goblin Skiff – Toughness 13; 1 Wound (Steering damaged)


Kaeryth, then Herzog are up Round 6
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12672
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby Kaeryth Klaern » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:41 pm

“Oh no,” Kaeryth whispered.

His face paled at the captain’s words. It seemed about the worst thing possible that could happen; surely ramming would damage both ships and put them all at risk for falling out of the sky.

“Hang on, everyone!” he called out. “We’re moving!”

He focused on the control stone, frowning fiercely, and the Lady Slipper began to move forward. Slowly, he thought. Too slowly. He gritted his teeth and the ship began to pick up speed.

Actions | Show
One action: increase speed to 8 yards.
Second action: move forward 8 yards. I belive that puts the front of the ship at AA6.


Kaeryth stat block | Show
Defenses: Parry 5, Toughness 6
Bennies: 3/3
Power Points: 10/10
Wounds: None.

Weapon in Hand: None


Lady Slipper stat block | Show
Current Speed: 8 yards/round
Acceleration: 8 yards/round
User avatar
Kaeryth Klaern
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Re: FF: Serving with Captain Corsair [IC]

Postby Herzog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:05 am

Image Image

Thad and Jakamo had the aft ballista loaded and ready for one more shot. The sudden realization that the skip was only dozen feet away or so made the pair hurry.

"Make the shot count!" Thad encourage as he checked his personal weapons. He doubted they would get a another shot.

"Aye!"

Jakamo took aim. The skiff was so close that he could see the individual rowers.

The sailor fired the ballista and the bolt flashed across the air between the two ships. The sailors hurried to reload again all the while bracing for impact.

spoiler: show
Shooting d6 at closer goblin skiff: 8,10
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3249
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy Flight [Savage Worlds]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron