FF: OOC Thread and Discussions

A cataclysm of flooding was destroying the world, the waters to eventually rise and leave the mountains as islands scattered throughout. The gods showed the peoples floating ore and wizards spelled it to levitate. Some of the doomed cities and realms were able to salvage themselves by quickly magicking the ore in the foundations of their cities to float them into the sky. Now sailing ships float through air and winged mounts carry transportation and trade between the islands on the roiling seas and in the sky.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: FF: OOC Thread and Discussions

Postby PMiller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 am

No worries. I think we are testing some rules that we have not actually dealt with in other games before.

With two Actions of just pivoting the ship, I think there can be a pause in between so the others need not Hold Actions until after the second one.

One thing we should probably have is a standard Combat Stat block so everyone is aware of what they need to keep track of and I don’t have to refer to sheets as often. We do this for other games (D&D, Star Wars, and PF), but it is much smaller for Savage Worlds.

----------------
Defenses: Parry _, Toughness _
Bennies: 3/3
Power Points 15/15
Wounds:

Weapon in Hand:
----------------

Since you can use Bennies and they don’t replenish until the end of a Chapter, they need to be tracked. If one doesn’t have magic, then the tracking of Power Points gets removed.

I suppose if someone had a specific Edge they needed to remember in combat, then that could be listed too (like we do in other games).
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:47 am

Out of curiosity, are you using a physical deck of cards for the turn order, or some online deck thing?

Also, i have the note and bolts of my character done: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10rf ... sp=sharing

Let me know of any issues. I had a hard time bridge the gap between fighter and caster. With no experience in SW, not sure if its better to specialize or be well rounded.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby LMiller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:04 pm

I'll add stat block for my next post ^^
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby PMiller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks, LM. I checked it.

Why yes, I am actually using a deck of real playing cards and I keep the drawn cards separated (just flipped up on the top of the deck) as I put them back into their case until the next round.

Herzog, from your sheet.
1. Parry should be 5, and 6 in Modified Column to reflect using Rapier
2. Toughness should have 6 in Modified Column for when he is wearing leather armor.
3. List the Burst in the Weapon section for easier reference on attacks so it includes the Range.

Otherwise it is mostly pretty good. With the Wild Dice, being versatile is a good thing from my experience. At Character Gen being a Novice, I would take all the Skills you want then, since it is cheapest to buy them initially that when using points from an Advance. But a d4 in a skill with d6 Wild Dice is much better than untrained d4-2.

From what I saw when helping LM with his sheet, magic users still have enough Skill points to be decent fighters in the beginning. However, as you start gaining XP and you have to make choices on what to use Advances on and then the ability to do both becomes harder as your Advances are more focused on the spell casting instead of the other Skills and Edges.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Hey gang, a few things.

This week a friend pointed out there was actually a source book for Savage Worlds that was very similar to what I was doing for this game. It is called Sundered Skies. It comes with some more twists for the setting and helps flush out a few more things.

The pdf of the player’s guide is linked in the first post of this thread. For the most part, it really would not change the characters we have made much, but it would allow for some new options. Since we don’t have all the characters completed yet, some rebuilding and tweaking would be fine for Kaeryth and Leolamin too.

The biggest thing for me is the already established parts on Sky Ships and the Gazetteer information. Plus there are some other racial options too and some things that look cool.

Let me know what you guys think?
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:22 pm

Btw, I keep forgetting to post this, but Garm/Sandstar and I have been talking in PMs for some time. He is joining the game and has been working on a character concept all week.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:19 am

Cool! I guess I need to finish my character.

On the sundered skies, the drakin look cool. Would that race fit with our setting? Also, they seem to have boosted racial options. Not only do humans get a free edge, but they get 17 skill points too.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:03 am

Herzog wrote:On the sundered skies, the drakin look cool. Would that race fit with our setting? Also, they seem to have boosted racial options. Not only do humans get a free edge, but they get 17 skill points too.
Drakin look to be a version of Kobolds. If we are using my homebrew setting, then Drakin would be more of an evil race.

Hmm, missed that about Humans. I might consider allowing those alternate Racial Abilities from Sundered Skies. All they did was add an extra 2 points in Abilities making them all a little more defined.

I was looking at the Making your own Races when considering Gnomes yesterday and I came up short on Ability points to recreate a PF gnome. So I think I am perfectly willing to let people tweak the races a bit to match something more traditional for other games like PF. I was not really happy with the Half-Elf traits in Savage Worlds anyway. If someone wanted to play something not actually in the Savage World books, then we can consider it.

On the Sundered Skies issue, I was more wondering what people thought of adopting the setting.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Kaeryth Klaern » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Okay, I hope I did my turn right this time.

Regarding the setting, I have begun to read through it. It is very interesting. The biggest difference is in how long ago the apocalyptic event happened. Our characters will not remember life before. I still have more reading to do, but I am willing to change to the Sundered Skies setting if everyone else is. However, if we do that, I would like to make a new character, because I don't feel that Kaeryth fits with the setting.

Also: hello Garm! Welcome to this game!
Kaeryth Klaern

Postby PMiller » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:26 am

If we switch the setting... or even if we don't switch, but adopt some of the equipment rules, I will allow some rebuilding after this combat encounter as we integrate all four characters. Since this is really the first Savage Worlds game for all involved, that would be perfectly fine by me.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:43 am

Kaeryth Klaern wrote:Okay, I hope I did my turn right this time.
Yes, if you are not including any turns to the ship's movement.The acceleration provides it with 8 yards movement as part of the increasing speed.That would be all one action instead of two. That would be all you can do for movement. Second Action would be for something else like attacking.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Sandstar » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:24 am

Splendid, thanks! Now let me see if I can manage to actually use these rules... please let me know which NPCs you'd like me to temporarily control in the next round?
Sandstar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby LMiller » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:28 am

About the Sundered Skies thing... I think it's fine. I like parts of the setting and how the islands work, and much more edges and unique characters.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Herzog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:59 am

I am leaning towards sticking with the homebrew setting. But will go with the group consensus.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:30 am

Sure thing, Sandstar.
Captain Corsair will be able to take independent actions if the situation develops into melee combat. He is a Wild Card and technically would be on his own Action Card for Initiative, but I have him grouped with Kaeryth because he is essentially commanding the ship at the moment and not really taking actions.

Okay, I think I will stick with the HomeBrew setting, but I might use the source book for some ideas on places and such. I like the additional character options with Edges and Races. I don't have a problem with an additional Racial Edge/Ability either. While Savage Worlds has a slightly different take on some of the races, I am more in favor of the ones we are used to in D&D and Pathfinder.

So I think I am going to allow everyone to tweak their characters on the racial bit. The Rakashan can be more like the Catfolk from Pathfinder. The Half-elves would not be outsiders so much, but getting along with humans and elves. We can have gnomes and other of the more common races we are used to. The one thing I liked about our playing fantasy versions of The Window was that we could do anything on the racial department. I think we can do the same in Savage Worlds too since they provide the tools to make our own races. If someone has a desire to play a Dragonborn, I think we can work that out.

I have not looked yet at the Sky Ships, so I will have to evaluate how that might impact what we have worked out so far. But one of the things that first caught my eye was the different ships the various races had come up with.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy Flight [Savage Worlds]