FF: OOC Thread and Discussions

A cataclysm of flooding was destroying the world, the waters to eventually rise and leave the mountains as islands scattered throughout. The gods showed the peoples floating ore and wizards spelled it to levitate. Some of the doomed cities and realms were able to salvage themselves by quickly magicking the ore in the foundations of their cities to float them into the sky. Now sailing ships float through air and winged mounts carry transportation and trade between the islands on the roiling seas and in the sky.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: FF: OOC Thread and Discussions

Postby PMiller » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Since we are sticking with the Initiative Order as described by the Rulebook, I will point out that if you know you want to Hold (like the Delay Action), then you can post that OOC so I can adjust the last GM Update in the IC if applicable. I can imagine Kaeryth and the Captain wanting to do just that right now.

Hold
A hero may choose to wait and see what happens by taking a Hold action. He may then go later in the round if he chooses. A Held action lasts until it’s used. If a character has a Held card when a new round starts, he’s not dealt in.
If a character is Shaken while on Hold, he loses his “Hold” status.

Interrupting Actions: If a character on Hold wants to interrupt an action (including a rival who was also on Hold), he and the opponent make opposed Agility rolls. Whoever rolls highest goes first. In the rare case of a tie, the actions are simultaneous.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:38 am

In training for work this week, so npc the npcs if it gets back around.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Kaeryth Klaern » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:11 pm

Okay, thanks for that explanation about holding actions. It does seem like the right thing to do. I did a little post, just for flavor, even though the "net" actions are just holding.
Kaeryth Klaern

Postby PMiller » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:24 am

When Holding, it would help if you at least let us know if there is a condition you are holding to. If you want Interrupt another character, it would be opposed Agility Check.
This is kind of hard to do in PbP where I declare and resolve an action, but with a bit of retconning it will work.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:23 am

I edited in the rolls for LMiller's post. Take a look to see how it goes.

Damage dice can Explode too when you roll the maximum on a die. BBCode would be 3d8ez.

Herzog, you are up. The Aft ballista is still at Medium range with -2 penalty to Shooting roll.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:15 am

Holding actions are not readying actions, so I am not really counting the dice roll for Herzog.

The goblins have all gone for Round 2, so the Holding groups need to decide to continue Hold into Round 3 or to take actions Round 2 and get a new card for Round 3.
Technically I should have asked before pulling the cards for Initiative, but I already did it.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:22 am

I will wait to see what Kearyth and the Captain does with the ship. If the ship moves, it might put the aft ballista in better range.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Kaeryth Klaern » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:16 am

Do you want the ship to move, Herzog? I only held actions because PMiller suggested I do so.

If the ship is moving, then a moving penalty will apply, right? So if we close to within close range, the net result will be the same penalty for the ballista shooters. I think we are better off holding and letting them come to us, but I'll do whatever you want me to do.
Kaeryth Klaern

Postby Herzog » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:45 am

oh ok...no don't worry. I will post the aft group firing then.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Kaeryth Klaern wrote:If the ship is moving, then a moving penalty will apply, right?
If you moved and stopped the ship while they are loading, then no penalty.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Kaeryth Klaern » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:38 pm

PMiller wrote:
Kaeryth Klaern wrote:If the ship is moving, then a moving penalty will apply, right?
If you moved and stopped the ship while they are loading, then no penalty.

Interesting! Very different than 3.5/Pathfinder/5E.

Okay, I will post another "holding" action. I think we are better off dealing the riders first.
Kaeryth Klaern

Postby PMiller » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Okay, I think I need to explain the dice rolls again.
LMiller, you can go ahead and roll dice for Boris.

The code for the ballista is [roll=Shooting]1d8ez 3d8ez[/roll] Just to be clear the "e" provides the exploding dice effect. The ballista bolts are not exploding ammo (just in case anyone was confused :mrgreen: )

We are back to Kaeryth's Held Actions again. I need to know if he & the Captain are going to continue holding or act and then get new Initiative Cards.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby LMiller » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Yeah, I was confused about the dice roll. Now I'm fine :D
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby PMiller » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 pm

I am not able to adjudicate the ship’s movement yet, Kaeryth. You did not provide me any specifics. Is that because you thought you failed the dice roll?

Unless attempting a specific maneuver listed in the book (see Page 114 in the Deluxe Edition Rules), there is no need to even roll Boating (Piloting).
Such Maneuvers are like Hard Braking (3x Acceleration Rate), Tight Turns (greater than 30 degrees up to 90 degrees), avoiding an obstacle, etc…

Basic acceleration and deceleration is not complex.

The ship can increase speed from 0 to 8 yds/per round (0-4 squares) as one action, then move the 8 yards of the new speed. Then next round, can move 8 yards and stop. Using two rounds, the boat could make two 30degree turns as well. Then the others can hold action until your turn again in the next round to avoid paying the -2 penalty for an unstable platform.

Realistically, I don’t see why the same thing couldn’t be done by shortening the acceleration by half to include an equal deceleration all in one round. That would move 4 yards, end up at zero speed and include one 30 degree turn. However, such a thing is not actually in the rules and would make things more complicated if they had it as an option.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Kaeryth Klaern » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Okay, thanks for the help. I fixed it now. Sorry for the trouble.
Kaeryth Klaern

PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy Flight [Savage Worlds]