SM: Game Discussion [OOC]

A What-If Star Wars universe where the Empire is ruled by the Jedi Council, and the Rebellion is fronted by the Sith. Everything is familiar, yet totally different, as the Sith-led Rebellion battles the Jedi Order for the fate of the Empire.

Moderator: Herzog

Re: SM: Game Discussion [OOC]

Postby Taanoas » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:58 pm

I agree with the points made and am perfectly happy with the GM adjusting things on the fly to make it more cinematic or exciting. I don't have problems with writing hits and misses either especially if the mechanics are used to describe a net result vs. Exact sequence. For example, if there's no issue with describing a flurry of strikes, weaves and parris on the way to striking at an opportune time i.e. the actual attack roll, I'm good with that.

One thing I'm starting to become concerned with is whether I've gotten involved in more games than I can keep up with quality. I don't want to take away from the game as a whole as that's not fair to everyone else. If you think this is a problem already, let me know.
Taanoas
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:41 pm

I recall that we typically took 10 on Treat Injury for Medpacs when someone was trained in the skill. Mechanically, skill training provided a +5 bonus so DC15 was pretty much hit with a trained Take 10.

But with these rules, a 1d12 could reflect the same basic skill, but success is reduced to 50/50. That doesn't feel right to me.

I dunno if I would insist rolling for anything routine that could've been done in Saga by taking a 10. I guess it really depends on how much dice rolling you want to do.

Or maybe we should have a Take 10 equivalent? That would be variable depending on skill dice. D20=10, d12=6, d10=5, etc
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Serest Riet » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Yeah, I thought that was interesting. I was unable to come up with a real-world reason why simple medpac treatment would fail, so I was at a loss of how to write it convincingly. In any case, this is a good example of how we can treat this as a playtest of sorts - we've never converted the SAGA rules before, and we've never tried the Window with Star Wars specifically. There are some in-universe things that work a certain way which need special rules. This is probably one of them.
Serest Riet

Postby PMiller » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:53 am

I don't know if it is really a special that is needed or just sticking with the philosophy that the rules are not about rolling dice. Mainly you only roll if someone/something is opposing you, or you are attempting something difficult. If a task would be reasonable to accomplish with the character's abilities and skill, then they accomplish it. If the player would prefer a chance for failure, then they roll and could probably dictate their own TN.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:02 am

I would just assume that the medpac use was successful. They way i see First Aid in the window is to prevent some one dying or treating poison and the like.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:50 am

Based on the assumption that you can take a 10 for the medpac, Riet, do you want to rewrite your post?
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:40 am

Taanoas wrote:I agree with the points made and am perfectly happy with the GM adjusting things on the fly to make it more cinematic or exciting. I don't have problems with writing hits and misses either especially if the mechanics are used to describe a net result vs. Exact sequence. For example, if there's no issue with describing a flurry of strikes, weaves and parris on the way to striking at an opportune time i.e. the actual attack roll, I'm good with that.

One thing I'm starting to become concerned with is whether I've gotten involved in more games than I can keep up with quality. I don't want to take away from the game as a whole as that's not fair to everyone else. If you think this is a problem already, let me know.

I wouldn't worry too much about pace. Voin and PMiller are in it for the long haul.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Serest Riet » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am

Herzog wrote:Based on the assumption that you can take a 10 for the medpac, Riet, do you want to rewrite your post?

You got it, Boss.
Serest Riet

Postby Serest Riet » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Okay, edited and added to some dialog to address the group as a whole.
Serest Riet

Postby Mara Aragone » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:48 pm

No worries, Taanoas/Hat. The two games you are in here are good to go. They are not going to suffer attrition based upon the pace. ;)
Mara Aragone
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Herzog » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:19 am

Sorry for the delay...It's been a busy week RL. Not sure how next week is going to stack up with the holiday either.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:25 am

Ugh, thanksgiving was not good on my free time. ANyway, new thread is up. Make sure to check out the linked video. I couldn't figure out how to embed it.

viewtopic.php?f=466&t=9121#p261558
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Mara Aragone » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:15 am

We can only embed Youtube. the coding must be different for that other place.

Btw, I took a few liberties on dice results.
Mara Aragone
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Herzog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:37 am

What dice rolls?
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Serest Riet » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:51 am

Hmmm, I feel like Mara wrote a post with said dice rolls and tried to post it, but it didn't go through. Rather than potentially invalidating what she wrote, I will wait to post.
Serest Riet

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars: Shattered Mirror [The Window]