SM: Game Discussion [OOC]

A What-If Star Wars universe where the Empire is ruled by the Jedi Council, and the Rebellion is fronted by the Sith. Everything is familiar, yet totally different, as the Sith-led Rebellion battles the Jedi Order for the fate of the Empire.

Moderator: Herzog

SM: Game Discussion [OOC]

Postby Herzog » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:24 am

Game planning and OOC discussion for Star Wars: Shattered Mirror.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Re: SM: Game Planning [OOC]

Postby Herzog » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:24 am

Took a current stab at the Windows rules for this conversion/game setting. I stole parts from the other conversions that I liked, and came up with some of my own methodology. Talents and Feats will be defined as we go.

The Window Conversion

There will be 6 traits as listed below

Strength
Agility
Perception
Health
Wisdom
Destiny

Force will be an optional 7th trait, gained via the Force Sensitivity Skill Superpower.

Destiny is re flavored Luck. It’s uses will similar to the Force points from SAGA among other things.

Current methodology for Force powers:

Force powers are bought like skills and are super powers (donated by !). The powers are improved with XP and have their own competency rung that is used when the power is activated. They are capped in competency by the Force trait.

There is no Use the Force skill. Rolls that relied on it in SAGA (feel the force, sense surroundings, etc) will use the Force Trait.

Force powers can only be used once per scene. They are refreshed by a successful centering action using the Force trait. During centering, the character cannot act. A natural 1 on a force power roll when not exhaust that power for the scene.

Feats/Qualities: Feats from normal d20 systems are considered super powers and bought just like skills. Some may have competency ladders, while others merely unlock other skills/Talents/etc.

Racial Features are essentially skills and must be bought/selected at character gen.
Some Typical Racial Features:
Vision: only Low-light = d20!, Darkvision & Low-light = d12!
Scent = d12!
Racial Enemy (provides +1 Rung for Attack or Defense) = d20!
Resistance to Something = d20! or d12!
Immunity to something = d10!

Talents: Talents are super powers. The more powerful talents that have pre-requisites would still retain those pre-reqs. Certain talents may be linked to a skill or trait for requirements. Example: Redirect Shot would require Deflect at a certain competency rung and Force Sensitivity.
Skills:

Current list of example skills.

Acrobatics (includes Jump)
Climb
Endurance
Escape Artist
Lock Picking
Swim
Deception
Persuasion
Intimidate
Sense Motive
Gather Information
Knowledge Skills (vary)
Craft (vary)
Pilot (ground craft)
Pilot (fighter)
Pilot (starship)
Ride
Stealth
Survival
Sleight of Hand
Treat Injury
Use Computer

Combat Skills are used to reflect the proficiency for weapons that are normally handled as Feat Proficiency. Other Feats could be treated as Superpowers if not included as competency of a Combat Skill instead. Combat Skills are capped at d8 until unlocked by a special ability.

The list includes, but not limited too:
Armor Proficiency (light, medium, heavy, shields)
Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers, pistol, rifle, simple melee, heavy weapons, exotic weapons are specific, etc)
Gunnery (crew served, vehicle, starship)
Natural Weapons - (Untrained, but requires Natural Weapons first)
Thrown Weapons
Unarmed Combat

Building a Character:

6 Traits: Start them at d30, then use 44XP to improve them according to the cost listed below. Leftover XP can be allocated to traits for future improvement (need to be recorded).
- Force can be taken as a Trait, but it is brought in by the Force Sensitivity superpower. Starts at d20. It is then improved from the Trait XP pool at character gen.
- Traits are capped at d8

12 initial skills/feats/talents at d20. Racial features/Force sensitivity and other feats that make sense must be selected from this pool.

52xp to then improve skills/purchase feats/force powers/talents, etc. No skill greater than d10

No skill can start better than d10 at character generation.

An original Skill from the starting 12 can be dropped to d30 to gain 2XP to spend on a different skill.

More Skills can be purchased than the original 12 by spending 1XP to acquire a the Skill (such as Knowledge skills and Languages) at d30

Leftover XP can be allocated to skills for future improvement (need to be recorded with an * for each XP invested).
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:19 am

GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:46 am

Things look fine so far. I like the Destiny replacement of Luck for Flavor.

I have finally gotten around to looking here. :mrgreen:

How are you looking to start? So far the setting information looks intriguing and a few character possibilities come to mind. But it would help if you have an idea of where you see the PCs coming into the story initially.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:46 pm

My initial thought is opening in the middle of a conflict....the PCs either newly recruited or what not and happen to be at a rebel base that is under assault. Kinda like the Battle of Hoth, but not.

As for players, i am not expecting every one to be a sith with force powers...It's fine if every one is, but if some one wants play a mandolorian or the like, I am ok with that. I think right now, the only requirement is to be on the rebellion or sith side of the conflict.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:07 pm

Kicking off mid-conflict is always cool. I heard that other players are leaning to Sith... though, they have not posted here yet so...

I don't have any ideas for new characters that I am dying to play, but I have a few that could be recycled or retooled to fit. Basically, I am waiting to see if there is enough interest to generate a party and then try to fill a gap or tweak an older character to be unique compared to the others.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:23 am

I know one person is working on a force witch like character.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Argo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:43 am

Hey, sorry for the delay in posting! I have my character done but I might tweak it some.

The basics of the idea is this:

A Sith, young, powerful, radical. Wholly convinced that the Rebellion's cause is righteous, actually believing he is doing the right thing. "You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette" type. Charismatic, driven. A sense of honor as well. Formal in conduct, prone to Speeches (TM). I went for flashy Force powers for the most part, shock and awe type of stuff. The (brief) backstory is that he appeared to the Rebellion one day, a fully trained Sith knowledgeable about Sith history. No one had heard of him before, or knew where he came from. He presented himself to Leia and pledged his service, and after some probably fairly grueling tests/suspicion, has been working for the Rebellion ever since.

Here's the build if it helps others. I tweaked it a bit after the last time you saw it, Herzog.

Traits: 44xp

Strength d30->d20->d12 (5xp)
Agility d30->d20->d12 (5xp)
Health d30->d20->d12 (5xp)
Perception d30->d20->d12 (5xp)
Wisdom d30->d20->d12 ->d10 ->d8 (14xp)
Destiny d30
Force ------- d30->d20->d12->d10 (9xp)
1 leftover

Skills: 12 initial plus 52xp
1. Force Sensitivity - d20!
2. Force Power: Mind Trick d20!->d12->d10 (7xp)
3. Force Power: Force Grip d20!->d12->d10 (7xp)
4. Force Power: Energy Resistance d20!->d12 (3xp)
5. Force Power: Repulse d20!->d12 (3xp)
6. Force Power: Combustion d20!->d12 (3xp)
7. Dark Side Talent: Power of the Dark Side d20!
8. Dark Side Talent: Dark Presence d20!
9. Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers) d20->d12->d10 (7xp)
10. Persuasion d20->d12-d10 (7xp)
11. Sense Motive d20->d12-d10 (7xp)
12. Intimidate d20->d12->d10 (7xp)
1 leftover

Wisdom Free Knowledge skills (4 free , 14xp)

Knowledge (tactics) d20->d12->d10 (7xp)
Knowledge (galactic history) d20->d12 (3xp)
Knowledge (Sith lore) d20->d12 (3xp)
Knowledge (Jedi lore) d20
1 leftover
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Argo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:29 pm

It occurs to me that we might have lots of fun if we aren't particularly balanced in terms of party roles.

I think I've mentioned before a game I played in where we were all wizards. Maybe five of us, if I remember right. And everyone just made what they wanted, and it turned out perfectly fine. We were able to use our spells to do things that other classes would ordinarily be doing in a party. Like one player wanted to be a necromancer, so we had skeletons and zombies to 'tank' for us. My character was a debuffer mostly, and worked on status effects to hinder enemies strategically. One was a pure blaster, lots of firepower. And so on. Not sure I remember the other two now...

In any case, I bring it up because what I loved about that game was the unique challenge it presented. Everyone had to be creative about how we used our powers. Sure, we had some weaknesses, but we just found ways to work around them. Not everything has to be perfectly balanced to be fun, after all. If we do all go Sith/Force powers, it would be really cool to see how we choose different things naturally, and how we can work to use our powers in concert.

Anyway, that's just to say that maybe you shouldn't worry about what to make, PMiller, and just make something that will be fun to play off. Mara as a Sith? Haha.
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Herzog » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Looks good.

Do you have an idea on the the conversion of those force powers? I have not looked at the force powers in detail yet.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:36 pm

So opinion on the Destiny trait. I am using it like Luck in other games, as well as Force points from Saga.

Since at character gen, all traits start out at d30...would that be the equivalent of 1 point? Or zero since it is the bottom of the competency ladder?
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:44 am

I retooled Samara a bit....

Traits: 44xp

Strength d30->d20 (2xp)
Agility d30->d20->d12 ->d10 ->d8 (14xp)
Health d30->d20->d12 (5xp)
Perception d30->d20->d12->d10 (9xp)
Wisdom d30->d20->d12 (5xp)
Destiny d30->d20 (2xp)
Force -------d20->d12->d10(7xp)

Skills: 12 initial plus 52xp

1. Force Sensitivity - d20!
  2. Darkvision - d12! (3xp)
  3. Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers) d20->d12->d10 (7xp)
  4. Stealth d20->d12 (3xp)
  5. Acrobatic d20->d12 (3xp)
  6. Gather Information d20->d12-d10 (7xp)
  7. Deception d20->d12 (3xp)
  8. Jedi Talent: Block d20!->d12 (3xp)
  9. Jedi Talent: Deflect d20!->d12->d10 (7xp)
  10. Force Power: Force Lightning (darkside) d20!->d12 (3xp)
  11. Force Power: Move Object d20!->d12(3xp)
  12. Force Power: Fear (darkside) d20
    Purchased:
  13. Talent: Dark Side Savant d20! (3xp)
  14. Survival d30 (1xp)
  15. Pilot (fighter) d20 (3xp)
  16. Force Power: Phase d20! (3xp)
    Wisdom Free Knowledge skills (2 free , 5xp)
  17. Knowledge (galactic geography) d20**
  18. Knowledge (jedi order) d20 -> d12 (3xp)
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Argo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Herzog wrote:So opinion on the Destiny trait. I am using it like Luck in other games, as well as Force points from Saga.

Since at character gen, all traits start out at d30...would that be the equivalent of 1 point? Or zero since it is the bottom of the competency ladder?

I think you can't get lower than d30, so I assumed it was 0.
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Argo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Herzog wrote:Looks good.

Do you have an idea on the the conversion of those force powers? I have not looked at the force powers in detail yet.

I'll let you know on that score! I have some ideas.

Regarding Samara, she looks great. She's got an interesting mix of things. I personally love Phase. Such a fun power.
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PMiller » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Herzog wrote:So opinion on the Destiny trait. I am using it like Luck in other games, as well as Force points from Saga.

Sure, Destiny could be replacing Luck and works well for Force Points.

Re: d30 cost. If needed to gain a skill/superpower it costs 1XP. If something doesn’t require training to do, then d30 would be the free default. There is no roll allowed if at least some knowledge or training is required. For example Surgery Skill has to be bought to reach d30 before d20… unless you think watching Grey’s Anatomy qualifies one to perform surgical tasks at d30. :mrgreen:

Re: Argo. I will start the mental gears working on what sort of Sith rebel I want to play. I have a number of sidelined Star Wars characters that could work. Until I am caught up from the backlog of being on vacation, I cannot devote any time to it yet. But I also have not seen any posts from the other two yet either.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Next

Return to Star Wars: Shattered Mirror [The Window]