First Run: Reference Thread

In the harsh reality of the 2070s where profit is the most important mistress, the bigger the metroplex, the deeper the shadows. In the cracks between the giant corporate structures, criminals of all shades find their homes. When the megacorps want a job done but don’t want to dirty their hands, they turn to the only people who can pull it off: shadowrunners, deniable assets.

Moderator: PMiller

First Run: Reference Thread

Postby PMiller » Wed May 11, 2016 12:00 am

I uploaded a guide for how I intend to handle character generation and converting the various aspects of Shadowrun 4E to be simplified in The Window. Here is the The Window Conversion (SR4)

Here are the rules for The Window. Using the Optional Rules as addressed in Guide above.

Spending XP
    Purchase Trained skill initially at d30 = 1 point
    Improve from d30 to d20 = 2 points (also for initial training in Untrained Skills)
    Improve from d20 to d12 = 3 points
    Improve from d12 to d10 = 4 points
    Improve from d10 to d8 = 5 points
    Improve from d8 to d6 = 6 points
    Improve from d6 to d4 = 7 points
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Re: First Run: Reference Thread

Postby PMiller » Wed May 11, 2016 12:00 am

1. Combat in the Window is relegated to the status of just another scene, without a whole chapter of complex rules to manage it. In most stories, combat is nothing more than a fast and exciting byline to a larger plot, and it can be handled using the same simple rules used for everything else. Simply put, it is not about dice rolling, but about writing and describing the action.

2. There is no Initiative, so effectively I will resolve actions in the order they are posted or consider them to happen simultaneously if that is more appropriate in a situation.

3. Combat in The Window uses opposed checks and on the surface it can appear that it could slow down combat resolution. However, I am going to provide some meta-game information so you will be able to self-resolve some of your actions. You will roll your offense die and the opposition’s corresponding defensive die when provided. For some foes, Health/Armor Check information will also be provided to potentially resolve the wounds too. So you will at least know if an action is successful and for lesser foes, you could also know whether you killed them. For tougher foes, I will resolve their Health or Armor checks when attacks are successful.

4. When the foes take actions against your characters, I will end up rolling your defensive checks if the results are needed before others can act. Other times I will provide the result of an Attack Roll and the Target to resist the damage of the attack if it hits, leaving you to write up the results in your narrative.

Because Luck can come into play by providing a means of negating or mitigating the opposition’s success that will always be left up to the players. As a last ditch effort, you can sacrifice a rung of Luck to negate a failure (effectively achieving an auto-success on the Health or Defensive check the GM rolled). Until we are all familiar, I will try to let you know when situations occur where Luck can come into play.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Return to First Run [Shadowrun/The Window]