TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Image Image Image
Far beyond the edge of the inhabited universe lies the Silent Planet, a fertile but isolated world rumoured to be the final resting place for a number of lost interplanetary expeditions. Despite the planet’s deadly reputation, legends of riches, vast resource deposits, and lost alien technology tempt those brave, or foolish, enough to take the risk. Will the Silent Planet’s latest batch of colonists quell its dangerous wildlife and hostile inhabitants, or will they end up as another in a long line of expeditions that have simply ‘gone silent’?

Moderator: Calvin

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Rian Mallory » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:57 am

Rian considered what Svetlana had to say. He liked the direct way the robot had. It was logical, as well as highly informative.

“It sounds like the idea is too time-consuming and needlessly complex, as well as messy. We shall focus on what we have already decided to do.”

As the others still might have some questions or ideas about their own queries, he turned to his brothers.

“Do you think you would be able to administer the correct dosage to us, Jaden?”
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager

Postby LMiller » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:41 am

Jaden kept quiet while the droid talked about nausea. He would try to make drug.

"Yeah," the boy replied to Rian. "I know a way to take away the sedative effect."

Jaden walked back to his room, bringing out his medical kit.

"So," the boy said, looking at the others, "I'll be working on this for a while. Using the diphenhydramine would cause a sever effect, so I could use theophylline, which is good for this kind of situation. Theophylline is inside of a cacao bean, a basis of chocolate."

The boy looked at his brothers, assuming they didn't know a single thing he said. "Anyway, I'm going to work on this in the lounge," Jaden said and walked away.

While walkin, he remembered the test he took at school about diphenhydramine and theophylline. It was a good thing he had gotten an "A" on the test and remembered it.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Delvin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:38 am

Devlin nodded as Svetlana explained the sedative and anti-nausea drugs. The AI was correct that the side effect would not be good if bullets were flying. The Mallory's would need all the edges they could get.

"OK, Jaden. We'll leave you to it." Most of the technical jargon had gone over the gunslingers head, but he got the gist of what his younger brother was going to be accomplish.

THat left himself, Rian, and the Captain and droid left in the cargo hold. THe idea of crafting caltrops sounded like an easy one...if they had the materials.

"Well, back on the subject of caltrops. Do you have any steel we could use? I am assuming we could use the magnetic boots to magnetism them?"
TSP, Delvin Mallory - Gunslinger
Delvin
Legend
Legend

Postby Calvin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:14 am

Svetlana responds favourably to Jaden’s suggestion. “An intriguing idea. My records indicate that theophylline was first extracted from tea leaves, and can be found in brewed tea, though only in trace amounts. Cacao beans would be a more efficient source.”

The droid confirms Delvin’s assumption that the magnetic boots can be used to magnetize the caltrops. “Correct. The mag-locks designed to secure cargo during landing may also be utilized for this purpose.”

Oleg speaks up. “As for steel for caltrops… maybe steel cables, cut up and welded together into four-pointed star. Or nails… welded together into a ball of spikes.” He smiles and cups his hands together. “I’ll have to check the cargo manifest to see what we have, but yes, we should have steel. If not…” He waves his hand in the air. “We break some things.”

The captain follows Jaden to the lounge, nodding at Caitlin as he enters. “How is that comms jammer of yours going? Jamming their communications, turning off their gravity, and now your siblings have come up with electromagnetic caltrops. Those pirates won’t know what hit them.” He laughs.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:52 pm

Caitlin looked up from her work. She was about to explain some of the intricacies of the electronic gizmos, but decided to spare them those minute details. "So far I am making good progress. I think it will work."

The other ideas her brothers were working on caught her interest and she stopped what she was doing. "Electromagnetic caltrops, hmmm? Sounds like a lot of work to make enough of them... then there will be a bloody mess to clean up."

"Captain, as much as I would not mind killing the pirates, would it not be cleaner to just get them to surrender or incapacitate them quickly? What if we turn off the gravity, then provide them with a cable strung across the Cargo Hold for them to grab on to for regaining control, we could follow-up with an electric shock on that cable that will either stop their hearts or render them unconscious like a stunner."

"Boys?" she called down the hall to see if they were following the Captain.

She now noticed that Jaden had gone back and forth, now carrying his medical kit around, "What are you working on, Jaden?"
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby LMiller » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Jaden sat down next to his sister. Opening his Medical Kit.

“I am working on a drug that could help when turning the gravity on and off, causing dizziness.”

The boy thought about how he should make the drug.

“There’s two ways of making the drug with theophylline. I could make a liquid and inject it, or make it a powder and drink with water.”

Jaden paused for a moment, and added, “I would prefer a powder since I don’t think injections are easy. I have to do it to five people.”

The boy started working on the powdered drug.

OOC | Show
Take 10 on Craft Pharmaceuticals +6 = 16
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Rian Mallory » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:23 am

Rian followed the captain and Jaden into the lounge. He listened to what Caitlin had to say, giving her his full attention. Briefly he pondered her ideas, which sounded fine to him.

“If you think we can do it, then we agree. Cleaning up a mess in the cargo hold is sub-optimal.”

He turned to Jaden.

“Yes, we prefer a powdered drug as well. We do not like needles.”
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager

Postby Delvin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:17 am

Delvin following the Captain and his brothers back into the living quarters of the ship from the cargo hold. He was curious as to the progress his sister had made, and what Jaden could do for something to counter the side effects of cycling the gravity.

"Aye, powder for me. Not a fan of needles either."

On the subject of caltrops, Delvin hadn't thought of the mess it could make.

"You have a point there about noting killing them. Ok, let's hope cycling the gravity will be enough, and skip the caltrops. I wouldn't want to have to scavenge the Oleg's ship anyway."

"But they may be the kind that wouldn't see reason anyways."

The gunslinger thought about the electrified cable. He turned to Oleg and his AI.

"Do you have anything that would work for the cable and the electrical charge? I guess we could wire into the ships system..."
Delvin
Legend
Legend

Postby Calvin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:20 am

Oleg scratches his chin when asked about the cable. “I supposed that could work. Should be easy enough to wire a cable into the ship’s systems, as you say. And then we just remove the insulation…” He wags his finger at Caitlin. “The problem, as I see it, is making it so they will only notice it when they need to notice it. It would either have to be deployed when the gravity is turned off, or something that wouldn’t be noticed the first time they walk past it. And it also has to be something the pirates will be able to grab onto, but it can’t be something they’d be suspicious of. They can't suspect a trap or the trap will not work, yes? You have any ideas?”

Craft (Pharmaceuticals) Check Result - Jaden | Show
Jaden succeeds on the skill check required to craft the powdered drug. It will take 5 hours to gather the materials and make it.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:54 pm

Caitlin thought about the cable and tapped her lower lip absently as she considered the Captain’s concerns. “I know it looks cluttered, but a few cables stretched across the cargo hold that is not so nice and tidy would not be noticeable enough to draw suspicious attention when they come in.”

“If they have to duck under it when coming aboard, it would not be a big deal if it is not charged with electricity at the time. If fact you could hold it for them to walk underneath, proving it is not a threat. You can tell them it is to dry out laundry.”

“Then it gets it becomes hot and charged when we flip off the gravity. They would already believe it to be safe to touch from before.”
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby LMiller » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Jaden started working on his first drug, measuring the liquid he would use. While testing, he joined to conversation of the wires.

“I think tricking them into touching it would be a great idea,” the boy said, taking out a tube to put the liquid in. He stirred, and the liquid was turning more solid.

Jaden remembered something. “By the way, I’m going to go feed Cee Jay some things,” the boy told his sister next to him, and jogged off.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Rian Mallory » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:27 pm

Rian looked over at Caitlin.

“Yes, and we could further the ruse by actually pinning laundry on the wire. It does not need to be mentioned at all. To mention something draws attention to it.”

They did not have many material possessions, or at least he did not. But something old could be sacrificed in the name of their plan, since surely the clothing would be ruined afterward. However, fire would not be so much an issue if they soaked the clothing beforehand. Still.

He turned to Oleg.

“Do you have any old clothing that perhaps a previous passenger mistakenly left behind, Captain?”
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:53 pm

Caitlin smiled as her youngest brother took off to feed his pet. It was good that he had something to be responsible for.

“Well, any clothing would do… but I am not going to put out any of mine.”

She lowered her voice for her brother, “Not unless our Captain typically wears women’s underwear in secret.”
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Delvin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:58 am

Delvin followed along the conversation as the group chased down the idea of the electrified cable. The more it was discussed, the more the gunslinger liked the idea. It was subtle and would definitely be a surprise to the pirates.

"Heck, old blankets or sheets would work as well. Just say your clothes refresher is broken and had to resort to hand washing."
Delvin
Legend
Legend

Postby Calvin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 am

Oleg scratches his chin as the Mallorys describe their plan. “Yes… I like it. Maybe make a bit of an, uh, mess around the cargo hold.” He waves his hand around in the air in front of him. “Make the clutter look natural." He holds up his index finger. "And, in order to fully sell the idea that the wires hanging in the cargo hold are the result of improper maintenance and general disorganization instead of some… nefarious scheme, I will get fairly drunk before they arrive.” The captain tries to suppress a smile, but fails. “Enough to deflect suspicion, but not enough to impair judgement, yes?”

Svetlana jumps in. “It would seem to be that the fact that you are considering consuming alcohol prior to a firefight is itself a symptom of impaired judgement.”

Oleg shakes his head at the droid. “The plan is brilliant, do not spoil our fun here. I am not planning on getting too drunk until the shooting is over.” He grins widely, and clasps his hands together. “So we’re all in agreement here?”
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to The Silent Planet [PF-Future]