TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Image Image Image
Far beyond the edge of the inhabited universe lies the Silent Planet, a fertile but isolated world rumoured to be the final resting place for a number of lost interplanetary expeditions. Despite the planet’s deadly reputation, legends of riches, vast resource deposits, and lost alien technology tempt those brave, or foolish, enough to take the risk. Will the Silent Planet’s latest batch of colonists quell its dangerous wildlife and hostile inhabitants, or will they end up as another in a long line of expeditions that have simply ‘gone silent’?

Moderator: Calvin

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby PMiller » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:03 pm

Caitlin resumed constructing the makeshift comms jammer. She could talk and work at the same time. "Yes, if the droid remains out of sight from the pirates, but within communication with us in the Cargo Hold we should have an advantage. Rather that just turning it off, it might be best to cycle it, only leaving it off for about one or two seconds."

"Longer than that, the pirates could recover and then be prepared for the gravity to retuen."

She looked up at Delvin, "My idea was using the gravity trick on the pirate boarding party after we remove their pilot. With the comms hammer, he will not be able to warn them when we take him out."

"My thought was to lie in wait for the rest to come back to their ship and then cycle the gravity once they come back to the Cargo Hold. What about magnetic boots? We can open up the secret compartment and be waiting for them. Then we could be behind them as they are in the center of the Cargo Hold."

"We could leave the pilot lying unconscious on the floor for them to investigate and distract them too. All to keep them off guard."

"Jaden, you have a laser weapon we bought for before we left. Once our ambush is triggered, we might have to shoot them if they still don't want to surrender."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby LMiller » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:09 am

Jaden thought about his throwing skill, and thought about what Delvin had said about gravity. “Yeah, you're right, Delvin. I have a laser pistol, so i can shoot if necessary.”

the boy smiled and raced back to get his pistol form his room. he never had an opportunity like this to use it.

'Man, I hope this will all work out...' he thought.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Delvin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:12 am

Caitlin's plan was even simply then the initial one of splitting into two groups. And it kept all the Mallory's together. With Delvin and possibly Rian the only siblings seeing real combat, it was probably a good idea to stick together.

"Probably best to stick together, " the gunslinger said in agreement.

The older Mallory looked after Jaden as the younger brother rushed off to fetch his laser pistol. There seemed a certain excitement in the boy, no young adult at the mention of using a weapon. Devlin hoped it wasn't the end of innocence.

"Ok, so to recap."

"We all hide in the secret compartment. Once the pirates have boarded and beyond the cargo hold, we start jamming their communications, and take out the lone pilot. THen we use the gravity or lack of to hit the group of pirates as they come back. Hopefully surprising and overwhelming them. Sound about right?"
TSP, Delvin Mallory - Gunslinger
Delvin
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Caitlin nodded as she worked, no even looking up. "Yes, that sounds about right. While I finish this jammer, you guys can track down the Captain and arrange to borrow the magnetic boots from the EVA suits."

"My guess is that we will not need the mirror any longer. Svetlana can let us know via private channels the status of the pirate movements so we can know exactly when to leave hiding and when to return back."
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Rian Mallory » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:53 pm

“Yes, these are all good ideas, Caitlin. You have thought of a good plan.”

Rian looked at Delvin.

“Let us go talk to the captain, then, and borrow the boots. Do we all have weapons to use?”

He carried a piezoelectric pistol himself; it was scratched-up and dented, but functional. As he understood it, it was a relic from a somewhat earlier time, but still very functional.

“Perhaps the captain might have some weapons that are better than ours that we can borrow.”
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Caitlin stopped tinkering for a moment and smiled tightly at her brother, Rian. "Thank you." She was pretty smart, even if she wasn't an experienced soldier.

"I have an X-25 laser rifle and some scout armor that I bought for our exploration dirt side. Father also made sure I could shoot too, even if all our practice was inside the cargo bay."
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Delvin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:23 am

"I have my pistol and an X-25 laser rifle as well. I think Captain Oleg mentioned a laser rifle as well, but not sure the make."

Delvin lingered a moment longer in the cabin. With his sister working on the jammer, it would not do any good to hang over her shoulder.

"We'll be in the cargo hold. Yell if you need anything."

The older Mallory exited his sisters cabin, and walked back to the cargo hold. There he found the captain and his ships AI. It was a nice touch that the two had given the family some privacy. But now it was time for planning an ambush.

"Captain. Do you have any EVA suits, or at the least the magnetic boots? We think playing with the gravity in the cargo hold is a better distraction for dealing with the pirates."
Delvin
Legend
Legend

Postby Rian Mallory » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:42 am

Rian accompanied Delvin back to the cargo hold. He thought of the smile his sister had given him. It was an encouraging thing, he decided. It meant she was no longer angry at him. Or no longer afraid. Or at least had put those things aside for the moment. He thought smiling was important. Perhaps he should do it, as it might put his siblings more at ease.

He tried smiling as they walked, creasing his mouth just so. Or was smiling supposed to be more expressive than that? He pulled back his lips, exposing his teeth. Was this type of smile better? Human microexpressions were difficult to catch sometimes, even though he understood the significance and tried to pay close attention. But the human part of his body had changed enough that smiles and frowns were no longer automatic. He had to remember to make them.

As they came upon the captain, he smiled hugely.

“Also, thank you for your sensitivity to our family matter earlier, Captain.”

He hoped that the captain had not overheard much, or listened in later. Having to murder the man in order to keep his secrets safe would be inconvenient.
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager

Postby LMiller » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Jaden followed his older brothers to the Cargo hold, having to jog to catch up after getting his laser pistol. Appearing right next to Delvin he said, “I have a small laser pistol, and I think that is good enough for me.”

The boy looked up at Svetlana and Oleg, and thanked them for waiting.

“Delvin, EVA suits would definitely help when turn off gravity. I hope we have some, Oleg. Svetlana, do you know if you have any?”
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Calvin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:36 pm

Oleg nods when Delvin and Jaden ask about the magnetic boots. “I have some of those, yes. Should be enough for all of you. Haven’t needed that many since I got rid of the old crew, but I haven’t been about to find a buyer for the suits. Unless old things, bulky and unarmored.” He pauses for a moment, before wagging his finger at the group. “If I were you, though, I would ditch the suits and just use the boots. The suits are too bulky to wear over armor, and you’ll need that if you’re going to start a gunfight, yes?”

Svetlana adds her input on the Mallory’s plan to switch gravity off and on again. “I can monitor the camera feeds aboard the Goshawk and disable the ship’s artificial gravity field when it is most opportune. Would you prefer I disengage and reengage gravity as rapidly as possible to deny the pirates an opportunity to get their bearings, or should I allow them to drift up as high as possible before reengaging gravity, maximizing the injuries caused by the fall?”

The captain grins sheepishly when Rian thanks him for not hanging around during their family discussion. “No problem. Don’t mention it.”
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby LMiller » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:44 pm

Jaden nodded as the Captain explained about the suits. He shifted uncomfortably, not wanting to wear old and bulky clothes and boots. “Yeah, I would definitely not wear the suit if it’s big for you, Oleg. It would be to big for me to even move!”

The boy looked over at the small droid, and replied, “Svetlana, I think turning it off when they get up high is better, since it will cause more damage. However, you could first do it slow to make them dazed and then start turning it off and on quickly.”
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Rian Mallory » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Rian listened to Jaden’s idea, and nodded deliberately. Nodding was what humans did when they agreed with something, so he nodded. Perhaps if he tried to make more human gestures, Caitlin would not think he was ‘acting weird’ and would be put more at ease.

“Yes, we agree that Jaden’s idea is good. Maximum damage for the first cycle, then quick cycles to disorient them. Captain, do you have anything else that is magnetic? Perhaps we could throw something on the floor under them, like a carpet of spikes, that would seal magnetically to the deck and cause more damage every time they fell down.”

He paused.

“Or perhaps this will make too much of a mess in your cargo hold.”
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:25 pm

Caitlin continued working on the comm jammer in the ship’s lounge area, her tongue sticking out the side of her pressed lips as she concentrated. She hoped the boys could take care of the planning in the Cargo Hold without her. Being older, she of course felt responsible.

Sometimes she was not sure if she could trust her younger siblings without her. Intellectually she knew that Delvin and Rian were fully adult and used to making their own decisions, but part of her still saw them as her kid brothers. And Jaden was still a kid to her despite that.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Delvin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:26 am

"Excellent and thanks Captain Oleg and Svetlana. We'll use just the boots."

He nodded in agreement with Jaden and Rian on the method of the cycling the gravity. It would be the most effective in his mind.

As he glanced at Rian, the older bother prevented a frown. His brother was smiling a bit queerly, but now there was a decent explanation. Perhaps when the business with the pirates was over, they could explain human expressions to his brothers alien half.

"Spikes...hmm...how about fashioning a bunch of caltrops? That might be a bit easier to manage and deploy. Just toss them out with the pirates floating up in the air. "

Then Delvin frowned.

"Though we have to magnetism them somehow, Other wise we would have floating spikes all about the cargo hold."
Delvin
Legend
Legend

Postby Calvin » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Oleg laughs when Jaden quips about the size of the suit, and nods when Delvin thanks him for letting them use the magnetic boots.

Svetlana responds approvingly to Jaden's idea to cycle the gravity. “An intriguing suggestion. Though additional cycles would be unlikely to causes further direct physical damage, rapidly and repeatedly cycling the ship’s artificial gravitational field between it’s on and off states could cause nausea and dizziness in human subjects. However, this will apply to all individuals in the affected area, and thus I would highly recommend taking an antiemetic beforehand to mitigate these effects. We have diphenhydramine available, however, that produces a severe sedative effect. A typical dose creates impairment equivalent to a blood-alcohol level of 0.1, which I believe would be less than ideal if you are intending to walk into a firefight.”

Oleg shrugs. “Eh. 0.1 is not quite so bad.”

Svetlana ignores Oleg’s comment and instead turns to addressing Rian’s suggestion to use magnetized spikes. “The simplest method would be to construct the caltrops out of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, nickel, cobalt, or an alloy of one of the previously listed materials, including steel. This will allow the caltrops to be turned into permanent magnets simply by exposing them to an external magnetic field of sufficient strength. A crude electromagnetic should be sufficient for these purposes.”

Craft (Pharmaceutical) check result - Jaden | Show
If a stimulant is combined with diphenhydramine (OOC: the active ingredient in real-life medication such as Benadryl) that could mitigate the sedative effect. A chlorinated derivative of theophylline is most commonly used for this purpose (OOC: this combination produces the active ingredient in Gravol, dimenhydrinate). A stimulant closely related to caffeine, theophylline is naturally found in cocao beans, a common crop best known for being the basis of chocolate.

Using this method, an antiemetic drug capable of preventing nausea without significant adverse effect could be produced with a successful DC 15 Craft (Pharmaceutical) check.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to The Silent Planet [PF-Future]