TSP: Out of Character Discussion

Image Image Image
Far beyond the edge of the inhabited universe lies the Silent Planet, a fertile but isolated world rumoured to be the final resting place for a number of lost interplanetary expeditions. Despite the planet’s deadly reputation, legends of riches, vast resource deposits, and lost alien technology tempt those brave, or foolish, enough to take the risk. Will the Silent Planet’s latest batch of colonists quell its dangerous wildlife and hostile inhabitants, or will they end up as another in a long line of expeditions that have simply ‘gone silent’?

Moderator: Calvin

Re: TSP: Out of Character Discussion

Postby Herzog » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:45 am

Done.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Rian Mallory » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:31 am

Wow, Herzog, great post. Really introspective and thoughtful.
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager

Postby Calvin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:48 pm

PMiller wrote:"Have you boys figured out how we are planning to ambush the other three? I had a thought about turning the gravity off and then back on again. When you know it is coming, that is not a big deal if prepared. But if you don't then it can be dangerous and even deadly."

Neither Oleg or Svetlana was around to comment on Caitlin's idea (and I've had them stay in the cargo bay for now while Caitlin and Rian have their discussion), but I'll provide some OOC info so feedback on the feasibility of that plan won't be delayed. Svetlana would be able to enable and disable artificial gravity between two airlocks, so gravity could be turned off in the lounge without affecting the bridge or cargo hold, and vice versa. I'll probably have it function like a trip attempts, which PCs in the affected area will be subjected to as well, though they will get a bonus if they are expected it and/or are holding on to something sturdy.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:12 am

A trip attack? That sounds like it is going to be harder to catch them, unless it something like a +10 Trip attack.

Gavity suddenly going off while you are not hanging on to anything pretty much guarantees you to be tumbling free-fall. I would say it would be something like a DC15 Reflex Save to catch onto something to prevent that. Same thing when the gravity returns to prevent 1d6 falling damage
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Calvin » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:32 am

PMiller wrote:A trip attack? That sounds like it is going to be harder to catch them, unless it something like a +10 Trip attack.

Gavity suddenly going off while you are not hanging on to anything pretty much guarantees you to be tumbling free-fall. I would say it would be something like a DC15 Reflex Save to catch onto something to prevent that. Same thing when the gravity returns to prevent 1d6 falling damage

Now, I'm by no means an expert, so I could easily be wrong here. But gravity turning off wouldn't create a force pulling them off the ground, instead simply eliminating the force keeping them there. Friction, air resistance, and Newton's First Law (objects at rest stay at rest) would still apply, meaning that unless an external force is applied, objects will stay where they are. For example, a plate sitting on a table will stay on the table even if artificial gravity is turned off, but if lifted off the table, it will continue to rise instead of falling back down.

The switch will likely prove disorientating, however, and movement could present some challenges, particularly if they aren't aware of what's happening. Svetlana will likely try to time the switch for maximum effect (which is why I'm thinking trip attempt instead of reflex save), but I can't see the pirates ending up more than a couple feet off the ground, not enough to take damage, but enough to end up prone when gravity turns back on.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Anyone walking will immediately be airborne. They are pushing off the floor to counter the gravity to take a step. So they are effectively exerting 1G towards the ceiling. Yes, sitting in a chair or hanging onto cargo nets to stay put, probably would not be affected. But standing or walking will be resulting in out of control floating. Even standing is probably going to send them airborne, because the first thing people do when the ground gets shaky is probably to take a step to attempt to steady themselves.

Check out Reverse Gravity spell: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spell ... se-gravity
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Rian Mallory » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Wow, amazing post, PMiller. I love the depth of emotions. Poor Caitlin. :(

This is one of the things that you do so well, and that's write realistic and organic in-character conflict. As we well know, many people needlessly have their characters get angry at or attack another character about some insignificant detail, and it's really a way to either 1) let them pick on a hapless stranger 2) to be nasty to someone they don't like. You write conflict that makes perfect sense in-character and is the natural result of the dramatic situation.

You also understand the second component of writing good conflict: the best conflict comes when the characters care too much, not when they don't care at all. Who wants to read about two people being needlessly snippy, or some bully picking on a random person? It's just mean-spirited and tiresome. Conflict between friends and family, people who were once very close but have found that something has come between them, however big or small - now that is good drama.
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager

Postby Calvin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:38 am

Rian Mallory wrote:You also understand the second component of writing good conflict: the best conflict comes when the characters care too much, not when they don't care at all. Who wants to read about two people being needlessly snippy, or some bully picking on a random person? It's just mean-spirited and tiresome. Conflict between friends and family, people who were once very close but have found that something has come between them, however big or small - now that is good drama.

It's also something that can be built on as the group learns more about the experiments preformed by Pitax and the nature of Rian's alien DNA, though that's probably won't come up for a while.

PMiller wrote:Anyone walking will immediately be airborne. They are pushing off the floor to counter the gravity to take a step. So they are effectively exerting 1G towards the ceiling. Yes, sitting in a chair or hanging onto cargo nets to stay put, probably would not be affected. But standing or walking will be resulting in out of control floating. Even standing is probably going to send them airborne, because the first thing people do when the ground gets shaky is probably to take a step to attempt to steady themselves.

Check out Reverse Gravity spell: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spell ... se-gravity

Lifting a foot off the ground is a bit different than a continual force exerted on the entire body though. Direction of travel matters too. If they're walking, forward momentum would probably be greater. If the ambush takes place in the lounge, they would likely hit the wall or an intervening object before rising high enough to take falling damage when gravity returns. My guess is that anyone walking when gravity goes off will end up tumbling forward unless they are somehow able to steady themselves. I'm not sure the small adjustments necessary for those standing to get their bearings would necessarily send them airborne either, though it likely depends on what, exactly, they do.

Things might play out differently if this is done in the cargo hold, but in the lounge, I'd imagine it would be a fairly quick off/on to prevent the pirates from getting an opportunity to stabilize themselves or retaliate by opening fire on Oleg. However, making it a Reflex save to prevent ending up prone when gravity returns may make sense.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:06 am

Rian Mallory wrote:Wow, amazing post, PMiller. I love the depth of emotions. Poor Caitlin. :(

Thanks, mate. That one took a bit of doing since I have not put out such quality work lately. But every once in a while I impress myself. :)

But you are so right about chumps creating drama for stupid reasons, thinking it makes things fun. Caitlin is a malestorm of emotions and likely prone to some mood swings given what has happened. The males likely express this with anger and want revenge on somebody. She cannot necessarily vent that way on just anyone. What she really needs is a hug and a good cry, but that has not happened with only her younger brothers.

Calvin wrote:However, making it a Reflex save to prevent ending up prone when gravity returns may make sense.

Agreed, Reflex Saves make most sense. When you look at wording, it need not be that complicated. I would not worry about travel directions or anything. Or roll a d8 to determine random square they drift into.

Gravity off: DC 10 to 15 (depending on location) to maintain control and can act normally in ZeroG. Failure, means they have to try again spending Full Round Action (much like what happens if you fail to control non-combat trained mounts).

Gravity On: DC 10 (in control at the time) or DC15 (out of control at the time) to avoid 1d6 falling damage & prone when gravity returns. It is not so much about height as it is not being in a position to catch or brace oneself. Even 2 feet could be fatal if landing wrong.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Calvin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:41 am

PMiller wrote:It is not so much about height as it is not being in a position to catch or brace oneself. Even 2 feet could be fatal if landing wrong.

That's true, and something that isn't a consideration in normal falling damage rules. However, I'd say it would be the case if they landed on their head without being in a position to block or brace themselves. Mechanics-wise, that 1d6 falling damage would only apply if they failed their check by 10 or more. The three normal pirates have only a +1 bonus to reflex saves, so if they are out of control when gravity is turned on, they will take damage on a roll of 1-4 (20% chance, which seems about right), and only on a natural 1 is they are in control.

Also, if the PCs aren't planning on acting until gravity is turned back on, we can probably just stick with one reflex save. PCs that have a good grip on a stable handhold can also probably forgo the save.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:19 pm

I've been silently following this story along with Fallout and Black Company. Great writing!
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Hiya, Xenn.

Yes, Calvin. If the gravity is turned off and back on in the same round, 1 Reflex Save sounds about right.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Rian Mallory » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi Xenn! Hope you're doing well!

Sorry guys, long post is long. That took me a while to get up.
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager

Postby Herzog » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:55 am

No kidding, that was a hard post to follow.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 pm

Heh, I had to save it to read when I had a larger chunk of time. ;)
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Silent Planet [PF-Future]