TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Image Image Image
Far beyond the edge of the inhabited universe lies the Silent Planet, a fertile but isolated world rumoured to be the final resting place for a number of lost interplanetary expeditions. Despite the planet’s deadly reputation, legends of riches, vast resource deposits, and lost alien technology tempt those brave, or foolish, enough to take the risk. Will the Silent Planet’s latest batch of colonists quell its dangerous wildlife and hostile inhabitants, or will they end up as another in a long line of expeditions that have simply ‘gone silent’?

Moderator: Calvin

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Rian Mallory » Wed May 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Image

“It is all right, Jaden. If you study more, you will be able to learn.”

Rian put a kind hand on Jaden’s shoulder, and gave it a squeeze. Then he looked at the Delvin and Oleg.

“Yes, let us talk to him and try to get him to answer our questions. If he does not answer in a satisfactory manner, we can use…other means.” He blinked, slowly. “What shall we ask about? It would be good to compile a list of questions before we speak to him.”

actions | Show
Free Action: None.
Move Action: Take amulet.
Standard Action: Knowledge (Alien) (17)
https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread ... st12386239
Rian mini-stats | Show
Init +1, Speed 30ft
AC 13 , Tch 11, FF 12 CMD: 12 FCMD: 11
HP 9/9
Fort+1 , Ref +1, Will +3
Conditions: None
Weapon in Hand: 'Weiss' Piezoelectric Pistol (+1 attack) 1d8+1 dmg
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:41 am

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Calvin » Sat May 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Image
Svetlana provides her assessment of the pirates’ possible location. “There is a 96.2% probability that the origin point of these invaders is Plato one two eight nine eight cee. Unfortunately, the Goshawk does not possess long range scanning capabilities so determining a more precise location is not currently feasible.”

Image
Oleg gestures towards Caitlin. “So exactly what she said. We know there’s more on the planet, but where is tricky. It’s a big planet, and we can’t exactly go off searching it all.”

Image
Heading off to examine the pirate’s fighter, Svetlana following silently, Caitlin immediately notices that the craft’s navigational systems have been crudely removed, leaving exposed wires. The pirates have managed to squeeze an impressive amount of cargo space out of the small fighter, but in doing so have displayed a shocking disregard for basic safety standards. The flight control system, however, is still functional, and reverse engineering its records with the help of Svetlana may produce an approximate origin point.

Image
Oleg thinks for a moment before producing a list of possible questions. “We need to know where they’re based, and how many of them there are. Maybe who’s calling the shots. Whatever information we can get on their little operation, yes?”
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby LMiller » Mon May 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Image
Jaden stopped thinking about the serum, and listened to the small gadget.

"Having a estimation of this planet is better than nothing," the boy said, following his sister. But he realized that he might not be needed.
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby PMiller » Mon May 29, 2017 10:04 pm

Image
Caitlin frowned at the state the fighter had been reduced to. A decent piece of engineering was reduced to something barely adequate. “Geez, they did a number on this thing.”

“Still, they might have enough working components left that I can query data from to figure out where they have been.”

She examined the flight control computer and asked the droid, “Would you be able to download what is in memory without disturbing it? That way if we mess it all up we have not lost the original data.”

OOC | Show
Take 10 on Relative Check, or if necessary Knowledge Science +7 or Engineering +7?
Roll
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12301
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Delvin » Tue May 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Devlin had been uncharacteristically quiet for the past few minutes as his siblings continued to discuss the pirates and their origins. The quick fight and dispatching of the pirates by his own hands had been troubling the older brother. Not the act itself, but rather that his siblings received a glimpse of a ruthlessness Delvin was willing and able to go to meet his ends. It had given him cause to reflect.

But soon he shook himself out of the thought. Rian had experienced worse from his tale from earlier, and Caitlin was older and experienced enough to know what the stakes were. That left Jaden. Some how, Delvin didn't think his younger brother thought much of it.

Back to the matter at hand.

"Right, there are more mundane ways to make people answer questions, " he said grimly. Interrogations are an age old craft, alongside it's crueler sibling, torture. Be as it may, Delvin didn't have much experience in either.

Delvin had followed the others up to the fighter, and listened through the hatch as Caitlin reported what she found.

"Any little bit helps."

Turning to Oleg, Delvin began "Captain. Since you think there is some connection to the old hijacking, do you think you could find the official report of it? Maybe a long shot, but we might see if there is any connection between the current pirates and those that did the hijacking?"


actions | Show
Free Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:


Delvin Mini-stats | Show
Init +4, Speed 30ft
AC 16 , Tch 13, FF 13 CMD: 14 FCMD: 11
HP 12/12 Grit: 2/2
Fort+4 , Ref +5 , Will +2
Conditions: None
Weapon in Hand: Fuijin 316 Pistol (+4 attack) 1d6+1+3 dmg
TSP, Delvin Mallory - Gunslinger
User avatar
Delvin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:00 am

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Rian Mallory » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Image

“Yes, this makes sense. We will start with those questions and see where things go,” Rian said.

Earlier, Svetlana and the Oleg had locked the pirate captain in one of the cabins, after quickly clearing any extraneous materials that could be used in an escape. Now, Rian turned to head down the corridor.

“Do any of you wish to come with us?” he asked, glancing over his shoulder. “It will likely be fairly unpleasant, unless the pirate is extraordinarily cooperative.”

actions | Show
Free Action: None.
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Rian mini-stats | Show
Init +1, Speed 30ft
AC 13 , Tch 11, FF 12 CMD: 12 FCMD: 11
HP 9/9
Fort+1 , Ref +1, Will +3
Conditions: None
Weapon in Hand: 'Weiss' Piezoelectric Pistol (+1 attack) 1d8+1 dmg
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:41 am

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Calvin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Image
Svetlana responds to Jaden by noting the necessity of estimation. “Some estimation is often necessary, though the degree of accuracy can vary. Absolute certainty is illogical in most practical situations.”

The droid responds to Caitlin’s query with a single word. “Yes.” Svetlana hovers over to the fighter’s flight control system. “Please give me a moment to transfer and analyse the data. I can create a basic simulation, though assumptions will have to be made about the pirates’ movements and probable origin point. Any addition data that can be extracted from the prisoner may also prove useful, as would any input you can provide.”

Image
Oleg nods when Delvin asks about the official report of the previous hijacking. “No problem. I can get that for you in time for my next trip out here.” He shrugs. “Svetlana will remind me.”

The captain does not seem to be at all disturbed by Rian’s suggestion that the interrogation of the pirate will be unpleasant. “Unpleasant is fine. Give them a taste of their own medicine, yes?”

Knowledge Check Results - Caitlin | Show
Once Svetlana sets up the simulation, the Caitlin will be able to query the data. Any assumptions made (ex. that the pirates traveled directed from the planet to intercept the ship) will increase the accuracy of the estimation if correct.
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby PMiller » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 am

Image
With the data copied, they had it portable and they could leave the fighter to work somewhere more comfortable. Caitlin said, “Okay, let us head back to the lounge area and see what we can do with the interrogation efforts.”

“I would assume the pirates have some early warning or detection that lets them know when targets enter the system so they are not waiting around all of the time. So would say the assumption that they came straight to us would be accurate for now.”

She exited the fighter with the other two. “What other assumptions or parameters do you need our help with, Svetlana?”
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12301
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Delvin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Delvin bobbed his head in thanks to the captain in response to the request for the hijacking report. "Thanks. Not sure what use it will be, but one never knows"

The older Mallory followed after Rian to the cabin converted holding cell. It was time to see what the surviving pirate had to say.

Pulling up not quite at the door, Delvin cleared his throat.

"So...how are we going to do this? In my travels, I've not had much a need for interrogating."


actions | Show
Free Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:


Delvin Mini-stats | Show
Init +4, Speed 30ft
AC 16 , Tch 13, FF 13 CMD: 14 FCMD: 11
HP 12/12 Grit: 2/2
Fort+4 , Ref +5 , Will +2
Conditions: None
Weapon in Hand: Fuijin 316 Pistol (+4 attack) 1d6+1+3 dmg
TSP, Delvin Mallory - Gunslinger
User avatar
Delvin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:00 am

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Rian Mallory » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Image

Rian turned to look at his brother.

Delvin was different than Rian remembered him. Older, as a matter of course. He also groomed himself differently than he had before. The facial hair was new. Rian tried to decide if it made Delvin look older than he actually was; not older in the way mature humans’ skin got lines in it, but older as in being a capable adult, rather than the young man he was when he left home.

“We will start with simple questions, and an explanation of what will happen if he does not comply. Then we will follow through on our threats.”

Rian paused, studying Delvin carefully.

“Unless you have an objection.”

actions | Show
Free Action: None.
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Rian mini-stats | Show
Init +1, Speed 30ft
AC 13 , Tch 11, FF 12 CMD: 12 FCMD: 11
HP 9/9
Fort+1 , Ref +1, Will +3
Conditions: None
Weapon in Hand: 'Weiss' Piezoelectric Pistol (+1 attack) 1d8+1 dmg
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:41 am

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby LMiller » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Image
Jaden grinned at the thought of threatening the pirate. He didn't get to do any fighting, so it might be a chance.

"Oh, can I punch him in the head or something?," the boy asked, with a persuading smile on his face.
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Calvin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:15 am

Image
Svetlana agrees with Caitlin’s assumption. “That theory is consistent with the ship’s specifications, specifically maximum range and detection capabilities. Though the craft is heavily modified, it is highly improbable that the pirates have significantly improved these aspects.”

The droid follows Caitlin out of the fighter. “Any information about their point of origin could prove vital. Once we have determined the possible origin points, based on the craft’s capabilities and end point, we can exclude those that do not fit the data provided.”

Image
Oleg returns Delvin’s nod. “Do you need my help with the interrogation, or do you all have it handled?”

Image
Svetlana interjects when Jaden asks about punching the pirate in the head. “Arbitrary violence is not an effective method of interrogation, particularly when gaining the subject’s cooperation is essential. Attempting to build rapport with the subject may be a more effective approach.”

Image
Oleg raises an eyebrow. “Oh, so before you were all gung-ho for sarin gas, but now all of a sudden you have gone and decided that we have to nice to the poor merciless pirates?”

Image
“I am simply remarking on the effectiveness of the various techniques available. Sarin gas is unlike to produce any useful information at this point in time, making it no longer a viable option.”
Calvin
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby PMiller » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:47 am

Image
Catching up with the others, Caitlin laid a hand Jaden's shoulder. "You don't want to punch anyone with your hands. Those are meant for much better things and someday you might need them to perform surgery. That would be too hard to do after breaking a knuckle or two in brawling."

"If you wish to torture someone in carrying out the threats being made, far better to use your scalpel to slice the victim's fingernails off. Very bloody and painful, I am sure. But it will not cause you any harm and it will not kill the prisoner."

"But I would let your brothers attempt such things instead, I would rather you not tarnish your soul with acts of cruelty."

Looking to Delvin and Rian, she continued, "We should try to learn where they came from. I can try a reasonable approach, maybe playing the good cop to the bad cop."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12301
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby Rian Mallory » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Image

“Yes, this is not for you to do, Jaden.”

Rian looked at Caitlin approvingly. He knew all too well that the galaxy was a harsh place. Jaden knew that somewhat, but did not have to truly steep in the worst that sentient life had to offer. That knowledge would come soon enough without them accelerating it.

“Captain.” He turned to Oleg. “You need to clean up the hold, yes? Jaden will be able to help you with that.”

Rian knew of the saying ‘two birds with one stone’. This applied perfectly. Not only could they shield Jaden from the upcoming unpleasantness, they could keep the captain busy as well.

“Svetlana, will you be able to help us with the interrogation?”

actions | Show
Free Action: None.
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Rian mini-stats | Show
Init +1, Speed 30ft
AC 13 , Tch 11, FF 12 CMD: 12 FCMD: 11
HP 9/9
Fort+1 , Ref +1, Will +3
Conditions: None
Weapon in Hand: 'Weiss' Piezoelectric Pistol (+1 attack) 1d8+1 dmg
Rian Mallory
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:41 am

Re: TSP: Ch. 1 - Into the Silent Planet (IC)

Postby LMiller » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 am

Image
Jaden kind of expected a negative answer from his older sister already. A lot of times brawling and things like that aren't good for a future medic.

"Cleaning up the ship is fine with me," the boy said shrugging. Being with hte captain was cool, as well as being away from Caitlin protecting him felt good.
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PreviousNext

Return to The Silent Planet [PF-Future]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest