Lost Lights

This is for drop-and-play role-playing scenarios. These can either be continuous or one-shot, and can proceed however the starting poster of the thread would like. Usually this means all actions and storylines are allowed.

The intention for these threads are for follow-on posters to input actions and for the starting poster to continue the story using that input. However, the starting poster can choose what rules the adventure follows.

Moderators: DM Sirine, PMiller

Lost Lights

Postby atone410 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:33 am

Blue. Purple. Green. The lights of new souls joining this realm added a brief flash of light to the black sky. Here, the sky was always black. There was no sunlight, no moon. The land was barren, though it was not empty of any structure. There were buildings, man made, littered along the surface of this world, stolen from other realms, other times, other worlds.
Ailissa watched as the lights streaked across the sky, hoping against hope that maybe, just maybe, someone, somewhere would find her this time. Then maybe they could find a new way home. She had been without human contact for a very long time now, though she had been in this realm so long without a sun or moon that she wouldn't be able to tell how many hours, days or years. All she knew was the black sky, the numerous landmarks, and this empty world. Over time Ailissa had formed a theory of this world and what it was: a multidimensional time space continuum matter overflow depository. Pretty much, a trash dump for the dimensions. There were times when, in history, one would hear of disappearing people or vanishing landmarks. Atlantis. The Mayans. Ancient Egyptian Pyramids with pharaohs still trapped inside. Ailissa had stumbled upon many a pyramid, many an office building, many a memorial. There were structures she had never even dreamed of before, taller than the world itself it seems.
The other odd side of things was that she never felt the need to eat or sleep. She never got thirsty, either. It was as if she was locked outside of time's reach. Everything was just... there.
Ailissa shook herself out of her reminiscing and began to walk toward the closest of the lights. It looked like it was headed toward the gardens she had found when she first arrived. They were full of giant greenery and flowers. Petals as big as her head, trees as big as a castle. It was all very Alice in Wonderland-esque. She spent a lot of her time there just wandering around. She had even made a comfy cot of sorts from the flower petals when she got too bored and wanted to sleep, even though she didn't need to.

spoiler: show
So, this is the first RP that I've started in quite a while. I'm rusty and I'm slow, but picking it up again is the only way to get better now.
So for the rules:
-I'm going to leave the posts in this forum unless otherwise requesting a personal 1v1. Then I'll figure out how to move it. Otherwise, I think the more the merrier in a lot of cases.
-You can move the world around as much as you'd like. I've excluded the existence of other humans in this world basically because I'm lazy. If you want to surprise me with a random tribe of Vikings, by all means surprise me with a random tribe of Vikings.
-You can be human, non-human, fairy, elf, whatever. This is supposed to be a multidimensional dumping grounds pretty much. Anything and everything is possible.
-If fights occur, no god modding please. I'll delete your god mod post and make you explode in a most undignified manner. :twisted:
-Have fun!
-Also, I'm sorry if I'm slow to respond. I'm just slow. To respond. Because I'm me. And mornings. [I actually do this at work... Mainly because I can't access any other web pages and I'm not allowed to read or play games or anything when waiting for a call for an hour long...]
atone410

Re: Lost Lights

Postby PMiller » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:14 pm

Esimae and Harland had been traveling between sectors after her return from training in seclusion with the diminutive Jedi Master. Things were still strained between them from their two years apart. But Esimae was back aboard the Goshawk and piloting as she used to.

They jumped into hyperspace leaving the system to head inbound from the Outer Rim, hoping her connection with the Force would reveal more than the cryptic feelings she was experiencing that something bad was coming to the galaxy.

Suddenly they dropped out of hyperspace and the status boards lit up with warning lights as the hyper drive went off-line completely. Warnings were flashing all over on the boards as the sub-light engines were damaged or failing.

Her voice was calm, yet curt, “Husband, we have a situation.” There was nothing like understating a potential disaster.

Sensors had a planet below. They had dropped out of hyperspace in the gravity well and the sudden pressure was probably what damaged the sub-light engines. They were going down without much choice.

“I am going to have to set her down on this planet before the engines fail completely and we become a failing meteor instead.”

Goshawk’s atmospheric reentry was another of those flaring lights in the black sky as seen by any observers on the planet surface below.

OOC Note | Show
Sorry for the delay. There are not many folks around right now and I was busy. Then I had to decide what sort of character to inject into the scene and settled on a duo.

Normally, I am much faster to respond. :)

I expect Harland to post soon in response too.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Harland Cyress » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:22 pm

“Roger that.”

Harland slid into the co-pilot’s seat, automatically reaching for the telemetry controls to feed data to Esimae’s console. His motions were calm and practiced; his hands steady. He boosted the power to forward shields as she fought with the manual controls, wrestling the ship into a suitable reentry vector as it bumped through the atmosphere. Their view outside flared orange, then bloomed to red as heat licked across the ship’s skin.

He glanced at Esimae. Her face was a cool mask of concentration, eyes hawkish, touch light on the controls. In spite of everything, they were still a good team. They always had been, even from the beginning, when they had started out as partners in the sector rangers. Starting a relationship hadn’t changed that. Getting married hadn’t changed that.

Even now, they still worked together well.

Data streamed across his screen, and he called up a holographic representation of the terrain below.

“There,” he said. “There’s a clear space. Should be wide enough to land.”
Harland Cyress

Postby atone410 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:33 pm

As the light disappeared over the horizon, Ailissa continued her trek. She wasn't too far off from where she though this one light would land.
She did notice a few odd things about it though. As it dropped, unlike the other lost souls, this one got bigger. And then the color changed from blue to a flaming red. It was almost as if this were not a lost soul, but rather some kind of meteor dropping from the sky.

She finally reached the outer edge of the Wonderland Gardens when she heard the crash. It WAS something large and it WAS something fallen. But how? And from where? This planet had never had anything crash into it. When people arrived, they arrived as lost souls. When landmarks arrived, they just appeared, making you question your sanity if nothing else. There had never been a sound so loud, so shaking as this on this world. It seemed as if all the trees would topple over.

Ailissa let go of the flower stalk she had used to steady herself when the impact reached her and started forward tentatively. She angled herself towards the epicenter of the crash, this time more out of curiousity than anything. If things were falling, that means the world was changing, time was moving. Maybe she could even leave! Maybe whatever rock had fallen had a clue about how to leave or expidite the change, or anything at all.

Hope filled her as she broke through the thick outer wall of the gardens and entered what she called the hearthstone, but then confusion. This thing was man made. She had seen a few metal beasts like them clear on the other side of the planet, just appeared like wraiths one day out of a mist, empty and dead. She had no idea what they did, what they were for, or what to do about them. Ailissa stayed fairly far away from them, mostly due to having heard movement inside one of them at one point. This one was different, however. It had crashed here like a meteor, like it had forced it's way into the world on its own volition. It almost seemed to glow red hot as it smoked and steamed and settled in the middle of the shallow hearthstone pool. And it sounded like there were things inside.

She decided to watch it for a while to make sure it wasn't a trap or some man eating metal monster or some irradiated space junk that would kill her one way or another. She climbed one of the smaller trees and rested on a lower branch, with enough room to make a quick getaway if something lunged at her, and waited.

spoiler: show
Jedi. I officially love you both xD :P
atone410

Postby PMiller » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:19 pm

Esimae looked and suddenly another set of alarms when off and the YX-1890 lurched in is plummeting. “We just lost another engine… compensating.” Her voice was that irritating calm in the face of calamity about to strike. They could be on the verge of burying the Goshawk deep into the ground and no one could tell for all the emotion in her voice.

In between struggling with the controls, she managed to somehow push the button to extend the landing gear.

“Hang on, we are coming in hard.”

With that, she closed her eyes! Drawing the Force around her she felt the patterns and tried to carry the ship with sheer willpower. She was strong, but the Goshawk was no X-Wing stuck in a bog.

Touching down hard, the ship only half crashed down. The landing struts took punishment, but held. The ground beneath had given way and the bottom of the gear was sunken in by a half a meter.

Esimae gave her husband a wan smile and showed some rare humor. “Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.”

Power died on the ship with the main reactor going off line, leaving only emergency batter support.

“We had better get the droid working on repairs,” she said as unbuckled and stood. She was unsteady for a moment, the landing and ensuring they had not crashed took a lot from her.

OOC Note | Show
The Goshawk: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/YX-1980_space_transport
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Harland Cyress » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Harland pushed himself out of his seat, putting a hand on Esimae’s arm.

“I’ll do it,” he said, gently. “Just…rest, for a moment.”

She had barely showed the strain on her face, but he’d felt her effort. She had reached out to that Force of hers and slowed the ship’s impact. Cushioned it. He was keenly aware that they would have hit much harder, that the ship would have taken more damage without her power. They also would have gotten more banged up. As it was, he’d felt the hard jolt as a punch that had rung all the way through him and rattled his very skeleton. He’d probably be feeling a lot worse tomorrow, he knew, but for now, adrenaline still sang in his blood and hadn’t yet devolved into the shakes.

“That was well done. You saved our lives.”

He met her eyes soberly for a moment. Around them, the ship pinged and crackled, lights flickering. Something popped in some distant corner, and he could smell the faint tang of burning circuitry.

“Thank you,” he said. “I know that could have been worse.”
Harland Cyress

Postby atone410 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Ailissa watched the ship for a time, but her patience wore very thin. Nothing happening in a world without time made everything seem to last forever when something finally did change. After about two minutes, which she felt was hours, she crept out of her tree and slowly approached this foriegn... thing. The metallic shell was steaming still as she moved forward inch by inch.

When she was close enough to touch the beast, she reached out a hand but made no contact. The heat radiating off of the metal seemed far too much for her to handle, almost like fire. She began to circle it curiously, listening for anything that might be inside, when she spotted what looked like a window, jutting out of the structure's main body.

Movement.
She froze. Two forms, they looked human enough. One got up and walked further back into the beast while the other stood, looking almost... frail.

Ailissa slowly walked up to the glass, getting as close as she could without burning herself on the super heated exterior. The one that left hadn't seen her, it seemed, and the other one was turned at a way that she was in their blind spot. She gaped in awe at the sign of life.

It had been so long, so eternally long since she had seen any sign of life, any sign of another human being. Oh, how she hoped these people could speak her language! Oh, how she hoped they could help her! She was so caught up in her excitement, that she hadn't even noticed her feet moving forward still, as if she were entranced by the idea of escape, socialization, anything remotely normal. In fact, she didn't actually notice until her hand touched the window itself, making her let out a short yelp of pain. Yep. That was hot. She stumbled backward, holding her hand to her chest and tripped over a rock that had been dislodged when this thing had fallen from her black skies.

Ailissa landed heavily on her rear end, wondering if who ever was in there had heard that, wondering if they would notice her. But also slightly terrified that they might be violent. Would they kill her? Maybe they were cannibals. She inched backwards a little bit as she stared up at the giant metal flying building. Whatever was going to happen from this, she had probably just ensured that it would happen very, very soon. Without a doubt.
atone410

Postby PMiller » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:20 am

Esimae nodded and then sat back down in the cockpit seat as Harland went aft to give the droids instructions. She could take a moment to meditate and pull the Force too here.

Gathering it in, she instinctively searched outward at the surroundings and picked up the life signs of another. Following Harland's movement through the ship was second nature for her; she always sensed and knew where exactly her husband was while they were on board. But this life force was different and definitely not on the ship.

Esimae did not sense hatred or malice, but there was fear coming off the being. She reached out with her mind and spoke to Harland, "We have a visitor outside. Our landing must have attracted the nearest local. I will meet you at the passenger ramp."

She rose from the cockpit and went to their stateroom to put on her cloak.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Harland Cyress » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:14 pm

Harland looked up, frowning at nothing. Esimae’s words had murmured in the back of his mind as clearly as if she’d been at his side, speaking into his ear. Even though he was well-used to the phenomenon, it always awed him.

Her mental voice was much the same as her physical one, low and smooth and calm. He sent a simple thought back to her: Understood.

He moved toward the back of the ship, wishing he had time to get into full kit, but he didn’t usually wear his armor for routine space travel. He had his pistol. It would have to be enough.

When he got the ramp, she was already there, waiting, looking no worse for the wear, as if the brief respite had fully re-energized her. Harland nodded to her in wordless communication. He was ready, if she was.

He hit the button to lower the ramp. It unsealed with a deep metal groan, lowering as far as it would go. They would have to duck to step out. He didn’t like the idea, but they didn’t have much of a choice. They stepped forward, side by side, ducking as they came out. Harland let Esimae guide the subtly, and she pointed them toward the front of the ship.
Harland Cyress

Postby PMiller » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:04 am

The strikingly attractive Esimae was tall and slender. At 1.8 meters, she was going to have to stoop slightly as they exited the ship. The sunken landing gear reduced the clearance underneath Goshawk. She had not grabbed her helmet from her stateroom, leaving her blonde hair free and flowing halfway down her back. As a Jedi Knight, she did not have it braided like some Padawan either.

She had a pistol holstered on her hip, her utility belt around her slender waist and the ABC scrambler on it active. She had hastily donned the reversible camo poncho before they descended the passenger ramp.

Esimae spoke again in Harland's mind, "I think the being is female, slightly sacred, but perhaps curious as well."

It went without saying that is was unlikely that the being was dangerous. If the Jedi Knight had any thoughts in that direction, she would have shared them... however there were not many things that Esimae would be concerned about. A single being was nothing compared to an army of droids or a monstrous battle cruiser.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby atone410 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:01 am

Panic.
I should hide.
The other occupant, the one that was standing and then sitting, hadn't looked at her, but somehow, Ailissa just knew that they knew that she was there, watching them. The form vanished further back into the metal beast. Was it hiding? Did she scare it? Maybe the forms were harmless and just afraid.
She was beginning to experience some rather mixed feelings. On one hand, these people could fly, and they could take her with them. But on the other hand, what if they were coming out to find her? What if they didn't want anyone to see them and they wanted to kill her?
The latter of her thoughts took priority as soon as she heard the metal itself moving with a mechanical whir. It clunked on the uneven ground somewhere to her right. There were doors on these things, then. And that's how these forms got out and in. So didn't know whether to run, to hide, or to approach them.
Ailissa opted for hiding. She retreated to the closest tree and then followed the tree line around to a position where she could poke her head out and watch these travelers from at least a semi-safe distance. She watched as a man and a woman ducked out from behind the half opened doors and waited. Her heart was pounding away in her chest and for the first time since she had arrived, she felt fatigued from all the stress.
But as she watched, she felt almost entranced. The woman was almost divine in her appearance. Where Ailissa was only about 1.4m in height, this woman was a tower. Her body had perfect form, thin and beautiful. Her hair was twice as long as Ailissa's, and a flawless blonde, a stark contrast to her own not-even-shoulder-length dark brown, tangled up, rat's nest.
While she was staring, Ailissa didn't realize that she had stepped mostly out from behind the tree and was standing in clear view of the two visitors.
atone410

Postby Harland Cyress » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:24 pm

Harland frowned at the figure came into full view. He didn’t see any weapons in her hands, so he didn’t draw his. She was staring. Perhaps a native. If they were unlucky, she was from some primitive culture that didn’t understand the concept of space travel or visitors from the stars. He could see how it would go. One day, amazing travelers from the sky. The next, gods.

“Hello,” he called out.

He supposed that would be the first test. If she spoke or understood Basic. Then they would know if she was part of the larger galaxy around them, or isolated from it.

Harland stood tall, even without his armor. He was in his late thirties, fair-skinned and dark-haired. He wore functional spacer clothing – shirt, pants, boots, with a weathered banthahide jacket on top. His heavy pistol was strapped at his thigh.

He held up his empty hands in a universal gesture of non-aggression.

“Can we talk?”
Harland Cyress

Postby atone410 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:29 am

The man spoke, and her heart dropped. She was unfamiliar with the language. It was slightly related to her own, but nothing she could understand. Perhaps she had been held captive in this world for so entirely long that cultures and languages had evolved into something alien and foriegn for her.
No matter. She would still help them and hope the best. They looked non-threatening, but she still kept her distance. Ailissa figured they would need to fix their flying beast somehow, and to fix anything new parts were always needed. That was simply a fact of life.
The man had made a non-aggressive gesture, which, unless in their world it was the complete opposite, that meant that they understand gestures and basic hand signals.
Ailissa pushed any fear she had had down to the back of her mind and accepted the non-aggression, choosing to trust, though that wasn't too difficult with how beautiful the woman was. She moved forward a few steps, stopped, clasped her hands in front of her and bowed her head slightly in a silent hello. Then she pointed to her mouth and shook her head, trying to convey that she didn't understand the words, though she did understand the non-aggressive intentions.
Then she pointed to herself again.
"Ailissa." They looked smart enough to get the point. And if they could fly and they had landed on her planet, that means that they've had plenty of interaction with people that don't speak their tongue.
She glanced past them through the gap in the metal wall. She saw sparks every once in a while as if someone was sharpening a sword, and on the outside, there looked to be a few parts of the beast lying around. They might need replacements for whatever broke if they were to get off this planet, and that was the important part. And, oh, guess what? She happened to know exactly where to find another one of the flying metal things. At least there was a bright side to having been stuck here for so long that she barely remembered where she was from.
Ailissa pointed at a large metal plate with a few broken rods sticking out of it laying nearby them, waited until she was almost certain that they saw what she was pointing at and then motioned for them to follow her. She turned and walked into the woods, but stopped while still in plain sight and turned her head to see if they were following or not.
atone410

Postby PMiller » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:51 am

Esimae cocked her head to the side with her own curiosity as the being turned out to be human, albeit a little short.

The emotions were strong, but she did not even need to be Force sensitive to see what was written on the other woman's face. But the fear had subsided following Harland's gesture and universal signs of peaceful intent. But there was a language barrier if the other being did not speak Basic.

She did catch on that the woman was either named Alissa or was point out her species... no, Esimae was pretty sure it would be a name. She touched her own chest and said "Esimae". She gestured to her husband and said, "Harland."

But the local woman wanted to show them something or get them to come with. She humored Alissa and said softly to Harland as they followed, "Perhaps she knows another of the languages of the Galaxy that we know."
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Harland Cyress » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:05 pm

“Could be,” Harland said to Esimae.

It was possible that the world had been colonized by the Hutts early on, and they had only introduced their own language. He continued to follow the woman, lengthening his strides to catch up. “Ailissa,” he called after her, waiting until she looked back at him again. “Konchee jee-jee koona?”

It was a simple phrase: Where are we going?

He wondered. She wanted them to follow her, her manner not quite urgent, but very purposeful. She seemed to be acclimated enough to spaceships that she didn’t stare and gawk at it as she found it to be something completely alien to her experience. That gave him a bit of hope.

Still, she was in a hurry to get wherever they were going.

He shrugged to Esimae.

“That’s it for me.” Unless she had picked up a new language those two years she’d been away, he was pretty sure Huttese was the only other language she knew as well. “Though I can insult her mother in Rodian. Don’t think that would help.”
Harland Cyress

Next

Return to Unlimited Impromptu Role-playing