Discussion about The Window

This Forum talks about The Window and has the links for conversion using other published rules.

Moderators: DM Sirine, PMiller

Re: Discussion about The Window

Postby PMiller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:36 am

Herzog wrote:How would you handle a witches hexes? I am looking to build one as an NPC for the BC.
Pretty much like a Spontaneous Caster’s spells except they are defined like Hexes. Some can only affect one target per day, but can be used without limit like cantrips.

Since a Witch only gets so many, they would need to police themselves on limiting their hexes in number to be appropriate. But with needing the Spells too and to improve the hexes themselves, they will find they don’t have enough XP to spend on buttloads of d20 Hexes without sacrificing something.

Herzog wrote:Also, on Uthgar, I can change the super power to be like inspire courage as it is for the Bard. I just want to flavor it differently. Uthgar is not a bard, he's tone deaf, and only sings when drunk, and those songs would just be rawdy drinking songs.

Bardic Performances are not just singing. ;) Oration, Poetry, Comedy, Dance, percussion, Strings, etc…

And you could just call it the Sensei’s Advice from monks anyway.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:26 am

What would be the equivalent skill for Musical Magic then?
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:12 am

Herzog wrote:What would be the equivalent skill for Musical Magic then?

I used Musical Magic as an example for the Sample Bard, but you could call it something else. A Dancing Dervish mist called "Magical Dancing".
"Mystical Charisma" might even be appropriate.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:53 pm

I'll just leave it as leadership for now...not to be confused with the leadership feat...
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:29 pm

So trying to build a witch.....not sure how i did...

Looking at the PF SRD...The witch's spell casting is like a wizards...except she has a mix of spells both from wizards list and clerics list. They are stored in a familiar rather than a spell book...Anyway, that means she needs spellcraft and magic. Does that make sense?

Hexing is a class feature....so i figure that could be witchcraft....and there are finite number that a witch can know as they only get 11 over the course of level 1 to 20...so i guessed 2 hex slots per rung....shrug

How do you handle a familiar?

Almost all the hexes are at will....the offensive ones have DC checks....would that be an opposed roll? or vs a target number?

witch | Show
Aela the Witch, half-elf

Average strength (d12)
Pretty good Agility (d10)
Average Health (d12)
Above average Perception (d10)
Average Knowledge and wisdom (d8)
Below Average luck (d20)

Aela currently is/can
2d8, 3d10, 4d12, 3d20

Witchcraft (d8) = 2 hexes per rung = 8 hex slots
Magic (d8)
Spellcraft (d10) =
3 Free Cantrips
* Light (d20!): Provides 20ft illumination, 10 min duration. No roll required.
* Acid Splash (d20!): 30ft ranged attack versus agility that deals minor acid damage that bypasses armor. Can be improved.
* Mage Hand (d20!): Allows 5 lbs Telekinesis

Knowledge of Nature (d10)

Resist Enchantments (half-elf) (d10!)
* Immune to magical sleep.
* Gains +1 rung for defense rolls against enchantments

Cast Mage Armor (Spell Level1) (d12!)
* Provides Light Armor Bonus for 1 Hour squared for each rung below d30: d20 = 1 hours, d12 = 4 hours, d10 = 9 hours, d8 = 16 hours.

Evil Eye Hex (d12!)
* Temporarily decreases agility, attack, or wisdom of a single target by 1 rung
* Roll check (vs Wisdom): Success = Effect lasts rungs below d30 = 2. Failure = effect lasts about 1 round.

Slumber Hex (as per sleep spell) (d12!)
* Area attack versus Health of targets within 10ft radius.
* Duration is Encounter or until woken up with damage or by allies.

Stealth (d12)
Lowlight Vision (half-elf) (d20)
Melee Weapons (d20)

Cure Light Wounds (Spell Level 1) (Req: Magic & Spellcraft) (d20)
* Cures light wounds to restore Health. Roll check (target 6): Success = Heals more damage. Failure = only heals light wound.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:05 pm

1. Drop Witchcraft or call it the Magic trait. The number of hexes are not determined by a Window skill and each is selected individually. If a player is considering the extra hex Feat, you could have 1-3 hexes at 1st level. Just like all spell casters they should try following what is right by PF standards.

2. Slumber Hex only targets one person at a time and can only be used on the same target once per day. It should be defined that way:

Slumber Hex (as per sleep spell) (d12!)
* Attack versus Health of 1 target within short range of witch
* Duration is Encounter or until woken up with damage or by allies.
* Cannot be used against same target more than 1x/day.

I think we can simplify the Evil Eye duration, and I added in another line of clarification on usage.

Evil Eye Hex (d12!)
* Temporarily decreases agility, attack, or wisdom of a single target by 1 rung
* Roll check (vs Wisdom): Success = Effect lasts encounter. Failure = effect lasts about 1 round.
* Cannot be used against same target’s skill or trait more than 1x/day. The same target can be attacked 1x per each skill/trait.

3. Since the familiar also doubles as the Spellbook, it would be defined both ways.

For making the familiar itself, there is the section in the Guide that covers that. Notice there are some comments regarding tiny familiars and flight. But otherwise the Druid Example sort of covers how to do Animal Companions/Eidolons/Familiars.

4. You need to relook at the sample wizard again since witches are a prepared caster. They have spell casting slots.

5. Let me know if you need to add more spells, because those will get updated into the bottom of the guide.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:15 am

After looking again at the Fallout game and d20 Modern conversion, I recall that half the light armors are useable without proficiency. Should we reflect this with Armor Prificiency being an Untrained skill?

That could mean that Light Armor (d20) can be used by anyone. You can proficiency in Medium armor, you would have to spend 5XP to go from d30 -> d12. Basically, that save you 1XP.

There is some justification for this in PF/D&D to be the same. Masterwork light shields and leather armor don’t have ACP either and can be used without being proficient as well. It is a common higher level trick with wizards and sorcerers using an enchanted buckler.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Fri May 13, 2016 5:51 am

I have been thinking about the Traits today. The Window has an Optional Trait called Sanity. I wonder I should not use that and call it Willpower. The Wisdom (or Knowledge as the Core Window calls it) can be more aptly called Smarts and then it makes sense if it grants more Knowledge and Language skills.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Thu May 19, 2016 9:12 am

Depends I suppose. It is another step towards a half way point between the d20 systems and The Window, but adding another trait for mechanical purposes. But it does make senses.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri May 20, 2016 12:30 am

Yeah, I am wondering if that is not necessarily a bad thing, though. Considering all the games we are looking at converting over, there is always some constant traits. I never really had anything against the d20 versions of those. They clearly depict the three areas of physical and mental type abilities that one could have natural talent.

SR4 and some other games have more Ability scores. Sanity vs. Willpower… almost same thing. I never liked Knowledge from Core Window, and reskinned it as Wisdom to dual purpose with Willpower.

But frankly, I can see a good argument to have them be separate. Considering that we are not really required to follow The Window exactly, maybe the Traits should be:
    Strength
    Agility
    Health
    Perception
    Smarts
    Willpower

Though in game mechanics, Smarts would not really be used as a Trait that one would roll… which is probably why the author did not think it was necessary. While knowledge has a place because you roll it to see if your character knows something.

Willpower is a derived Save from Wisdom in D&D/PF, so it makes sense to combine them into one for our purposes to keep it simple.

Tying Skills to Traits for bonuses is actually a holdover from other systems, brought with the conversion to allow diverse skills instead of letting the pool of points in character generation to be completely freely used. So there really is no need for Smarts to be present to derive additional Knowledge Skills.

Bottom Line: I guess I will leave it as I have been doing.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Has there be any thought or progress do doing Star Wars using the Window? I have had another game idea bouncing around in my head that would be in the Star Wars universe.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 am

Herzog wrote:Has there be any thought or progress do doing Star Wars using the Window? I have had another game idea bouncing around in my head that would be in the Star Wars universe.

Since it is d20, it would be pretty easy to mirror the other conversions. Talents would just need to be defined like with d20 Modern. Combat skills would be less to choose from like Saga Edition.

The Force would be unique, but each Force Power would be a Superpower. Force Sensitive and Force Training being like SR4 qualities that need to be purchased first perhaps. I guess Use the Force could be the catch all skill for all Force Powers, but that might be unbalanced versus treating every Force Power separate like a Super Power.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Previous

Return to The Window RPG Discussions