BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Convicted Murderers, Thieves, and pirates. They all have a propensity towards violence. Something that the Empire of Khodar needs in its struggle against the Thelmor Dominion. As a convicted criminal, you are given the choice. Serve in the army for a chance at freedom or go to headsman. Wanting to live, you choose the former and enter the world of the Black Company.

Moderator: Herzog

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Emri pulled off to the side of the street to talk to Horns and Cynric.

"That's the problem. Something is blocking my connection to TikTik. We've always been able to feel each other when we're this close. But all I'm getting is that he's in town. We need to find out how many carriages came into town, then we can narrow down where he went. Perhaps we can speak to a town official? Or ask a merchant if any shipments of animals came in today."

Spoiler | Show
I didn't actually think past trying the connection again. I was at a loss if it would have passed, but it worked out that it failed story-wise.
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:06 pm

Image
Horns glanced at the red-headed lass after the outburst and trudged after the other two with a gruff reply to the guard in parting, "Ya have a good day, now."

He had been in the middle of gathering some information on what all the increased security at the gate had been about, but the commotion had curtailed that plan.

He grumbled a reply to Emri's question, "You mean like speak to the town guard to ask some questions? I was sorta getting around to just that. Too late now."

Horns and Cynric had a bad experience dealing with other units so while he had the guard cowed, it was an opportunity to maybe get some information. But the officer chewing the cowardly sentry out looked to be another matter and Horns was not about to go back and try again.

"I be not sure where or who else to ask about carriages. Mebbe we need ta be askin' around to see if there are any exotic animal shows or sum such shit."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11985
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:35 am

Image

Cynric followed the other two into the side alley, and stuck close to the street side. He kept an eye for any town guards or the like that might cause them trouble. Or other people in general. It was an unfamiliar town after all.

"If this town had a port, I would say the docks would be a good place for rumor mongering."

The pirate shook his head about talking to a town official.

"I dunno about town officials. They are as likely to give us the round around as the town guard. If they are anything like the army officials. Though perhaps we can find a lowly paper pusher to intimidate....

"Merchants could be a place to start. I bet they would know if some one is selling exotic animals. It is a small town after all."

The long haired man looked to the minotaur and the redhead for any more suggestions.

"Perhaps a tavern or pub?"
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:53 am

Image
Horns glanced down at the pirate with and arched eyebrow. He snorted, "A pub. Sure, if we find one that will serve me... Maybe this time we won't be endin' up in a bar fight."

He turned to Emri and waited for the lass to decide. After all it was her Tik-Tik and here nearly hysterical drive to search for it was often disrupting whatever assumed plans they tried. He half expected her to make another mad dash through the city streets to rescue her familiar... he kinda wished she would since that would probably mean she had a lead on where it was located.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11985
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Looking to Horns, "Yes, and while trying to get information from the guard, we would have been held up by his superior," pointing back to the tongue-lashing currently going on at the gate. "We can't find my TikTik if we cant even get into the town." Emri sighs, "Look, this is the closest I have been to him in MONTHS. I just want him back."

"A tavern is probably a good idea. Let's go find one, and on the way we can ask the merchants if they've seen anything?" Emri suggested. Seemed a good a plan as any to her.
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:38 am

"Well, we are not too far from the town center. Chances are there are plenty of merchant stalls there." Cynric pointed as a decision was made.

Checking to make sure the main thoroughfare was free from overly curious town guards or passerby, the pirate stepped back out into the street. The three of you began to walk towards the town center. People still gave you wide berth, more likely from Horn's formidable size than from your Black Company tunics.

After a few minutes of approaching the town square, you see you first merchant stall.

Image

The stall looks to be selling various household goods, such as spices and food, and other small utensils. The man behind the stall was dressed in a faded red tunic, and looked ready to make a deal. A few people occosionally stopped by to check out his wares, and one or two good be seen making a purchase.

Cynric also pointed out the first tavern you've run across no more than 20 feet from the stall. It was an older building with a stone first floor, and white plastered second floor. The sign was that of a beer or wine barrel, indicating the type of premise the building was. On the barrel was scrawled the name, "The Friars Barrel"

Image

"Well, take your pick. " Cynric said.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:54 pm

Emri starts to head toward the stall, but stops. Pats herself down real quick before sheepishly returning.

"You wouldn't happen to have a few coins, would you?" She asks her two companions, blushing just slightly. "I..In my experience the merchants were always more... Forthcoming when you bought something from them first."



Spoiler | Show
I'm working on the assumption that we'd at least get some pennies when going out on expedition, if I need to change it I will.
edit: I̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶s̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t.̶
Last edited by Emri on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:34 pm

Image
Horns patted his fur-covered hips and upper thighs. "Nope, I must have left my coinage in my other trousers. The Black Company isn't exactly generous with their wages."

"Cynric, ya ol' pirate, you gotta have some coins stashed away, yeah? Prolly in yar boot."

He nodded towards the merchant's wagon. "Either way, I say we try that one first. I can always point out that an angry bull loitering in front o' his wagon be bad fur business iffin he be stubborn."

"Ya can try to lead him on like you are buying something, Emri."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11985
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:46 am

Image

"I think avoiding the Headsman is considered payment enough, " murmered Cynric.

But Horns was right, as the pirate flashed a smile. "But there are ways to get some coinage..."

The long haired man revealed a small coin purse that had been hidden on his person. It was not much, but enough for the group's purpose.

"Maybe enough for a round of ale or two. Kinda hard to wager with other members of the Company when we don't get paid shit."

The pirate looked at the merchant as indicated by Horns. The wares he was selling might look odd for the Black Company to be buying, but he kept his mouth shut. They really just needed information.

"Alright, lead on Red."

The trio of you approached the merchant stall. The man working it caught sight of you as his current customer scurried away. He had an annoyed look, rather than one of caution of fear.

"Oi, What do you want? " he said in a frosty tone.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:30 am

Image
Horns followed along with the pirate and the red-headed lass. At the merchant’s cart he sorta leaned on canopy’s support pole and the entire wagon shook and it threatened to sag over with his weight as two wheels even left the ground for an inch or two.

He straightened and said in his deep rumble, “Oops.”

He hunched over to peer at the wares on display, “Juss lookin’, meself.”
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11985
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Emri browses the stall nonchalantly, picks out a simple loaf of bread, and waves to the merchant.

"If I could get this please," nudging Cynric to pay. "I was wondering if you've heard of any shipments of animals coming into town today, or know anyone who would?"
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:00 am

Image

Cynric glared at the witch for a second, before handing over the coins for the bread. He resigned himself to helping Emri on this chase, but didn't mean he had to like giving up some of his hard earned coin for something as simple as bread. An ale or a proper meal at a tavern would have been more appreciated.

At any rate, the coins were exchanged and the bread given to Emri.

The merchant was a bit started at Horn's weight pushing his cart around. He had a sour expression now, as he caught a few items before they hit the ground. At least the buying of bread did some bit to molify him.

The man glanced at Horns and Cynric, and then focused on Emri.

"Eh, Black Company business." he said assuming.

"Oh sure, plenty of merchants selling cows, chickens and livestock entering the town all the time. Though something tells me that isn't exactly what you are looking for."
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:53 am

Flashing a quick, shy, smile to Cynric Emri turns to the merchant and says,

"No sir, we're looking for some more.. Exotic animals that have come in. Perhaps for an event that's happening soon?"
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:12 am

Image
Horns caught the glare and shrugged. It wasn’t his money and he had been working on another tactic that was akin to the bull trying to navigate around in the china shop before he stampedes and destroys everything. But Emri had missed that ploy and had stuck with her idea that they had to buy something.

However, it wasn’t his problem and he was sure the pirate would find a way to get his money back with interest.

Rather than continue with his idea, he refrained from being annoying to let the friendly method of information gathering have a chance to play out. He grunted, “Yeah, Company business.” As if that statement said all for the justification for them to ask questions.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11985
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:23 am

Image

Cynric saw that he wasn't getting any sympathy about using his hard won coin. The pirate would just have to use this little adventure as an opportunity to make up for it. As such, he wasn't paying too much attention to the exchange between the stall owner and Emir. He would let the redhead do the talking since she was the reason the chase led to the city.

The stall owner nodded as Horn's confirmed their business. For what it was worth, he didn't want to get tangled up and would try to answer your questions.

"Well...I hadn't seen any exotic animals. Nor any festival or event that is occurring. It's the middle of the week, and the fall festival was 7 days ago."

The merchant was being honest as far as you can tell.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Black Company [The Window]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest