BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Convicted Murderers, Thieves, and pirates. They all have a propensity towards violence. Something that the Empire of Khodar needs in its struggle against the Thelmor Dominion. As a convicted criminal, you are given the choice. Serve in the army for a chance at freedom or go to headsman. Wanting to live, you choose the former and enter the world of the Black Company.

Moderator: Herzog

BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:17 am

Mid Novembus, 944 FE
A days ride from Ivanstead


Image

News from the Front

The season quickly changed progressed Fall progress. It seemed old man Winter was hot on heels. Bitter winds blew down from the north, bring cold air and rain. Reports of the first winter storms in the north of the Empire were brought in by the occasional supply caravan and rider. The temperate dropped, with the nights approaching freezing, and frost forming on the grass. Cold weather gear was being provisioned.

The month also saw the departure of some of the squads of recruits from the barracks. They had been deemed ready, and sent to the front lines to join the Black Companies already in the field. The trickle of new recruits from the prisoners had also slowed a bit. Combined with advance squads leaving, the barracks was starting to feel a little empty. Rumor had it, that that it would only a be few weeks before the rest of you headed out into the field. Just in time for winter.

As it was, training still occurred. It had been a few weeks since Emri and the new recruits were integrated. Horn's suspicions were right as the new girl was placed into the same squad along with one or two others. The trainers had tried to teach her some skills, but becoming more acrobatic in the obstacle courses was about the only thing that stuck. No one had answers for the fate of her Tik-tik, nor were many understanding. She was often told to buck up and get over it.

Today. Sergent Redarm was leading you on an overnight field march, to practice your ridership as well as work on some group tactics in the forests east of the barracks. You found yourself following a little used trail through some old growth woods. The leaves of the trees has all changed colors, marking the season for what it was.

Cynric, Emri and the others were on their horses. With no wagon this time, and no draft animal big enough, Horns was forced to walk. Not that he had too much issue keeping up with the pace. It was getting towards mid day when the Sergent called for a break.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:20 pm

The last month had been grueling for Emri, never had she worked out so much in her life. She understood that they were just making her capable for out in the field (whatever that may be), but it was still horrible. However, by end of it she felt satisfied with her efforts. She noticed her time through the obstacles courses steadily improving. But sergeant Redarm always looked disappointed when it came to her weapons training.

Emri's endeavor to find her TikTik proved ever useless. During the night, if she wasn't too exhausted, she would try to feel her connection to TikTik, try to find where he is. It usually ended in painful interference, or simply too weak to know if she actually connected to him. She still remembers the Familiar Ritual that the Mistress taught her. But TikTik had been with Emri her entire life, she couldn't give up on him.

Now, on some group training mission, Emri will have to "buck up" (as most of the camp goers were fond of telling her), and follow orders. Hopefully she can find him soon.
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:08 am

Image
Horns was feeling the jaunt through the Autumn woods was more of a pleasant nature hike... if it weren't for nearly stepping in horse shit twice. A snort and poke from his horns made Cynric's horse shy a bit and stop pooping the last time. That did not win him any favors though in the long run as the horse was not giving him nasty looks.

"Just another nature hike, t'day?" he asked as he plopped down on his haunches. The soft, leaf covered earth of the bank beside the road was quick comfortable on his bovine rear end. But the metal cod piece did not feel comfortable unless he sat with his legs spread wider.

The minotaur shrugged off the huge backpack that he carried around a larder full of victuals. He pulled out an apple, tossing it to Cynric's horse as a peace offering, "Careful where ya shit, and I give you another later." He munched on another one as he sat. Labor detail in the orchards had its advantages for rations. He like the apples as much as the horses did.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12337
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:16 am

Image

"Don't spoil his appetite!" Cynric remarked with a green as he caught Horns feeding his horse. The pirate was full of it, since he had no clue about horses. Just that they were very temperamental animals. He knew the basics of riding, but that was about it.

"Wonder what war games we be playing the woods today, eh?" the long haired man speculated. This was only the second nature hike they had been on as a squad.

"How you holding up, Red?" Cynric asked the with. He had taken to calling the fiesty redhead that nickname rather she like it or no.


Image

Sergeant Redarm was seen conversing with some of the training cadre that were accompanying the squadron the hike. Seemed he was planning something devious for the next leg of the hike.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:16 pm

Sighing "I'm fine Cynric," glaring a bit at the nickname he gave her. Hopping down, she grabs a snack for her and the horse. She finds a spot to rest and asks "Say, " lowering her voice a bit, "you and Horns have been around a while. You know what we might expect out here?" Pointing over at the sergeant.
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:22 am

Image
Horns snorted, a sound that was rather bull-like, at the pirate's idea that an apple would spoil a horse's appetite. "Ya know, Cyrnic, that the glutton munches grass and feed all fucking day when it is not being ridden around or shittin' in its stall." True to form the horse had managed to find some tufts of grass to eat already.

He looked to Emri and shrugged the massive shoulders, "Not a clue. But I'd reckon it ain't gonna be pin the tail on the donkey. Twar I ta guess, though, I'd say we gonna run around the woods and maybe try hunting some of the vets... or they gonna be huntin' us."

Horns looked from the pirate to the lass, and had a fatalistic tone with his sarcasm, "And we just have lots of ranger experience among us."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12337
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:29 am

Image

"Not a clue, missy" Cynric said with a shrug. He popped a squat after seeing to his horse, and began gnawing on his rations. He likewise eyed Redarm and the other veterans.

"I'm sure whatever it is, we will likely not live up to the good ol' sergeants expectations."

The squad for murmured among themselves as the break progressed.

Suddenly, Emri felt a ping on her familiar connection! It was shock after weeks of not feeling a damn thing. It was a week connection, but it did tell the witch two things. The first was that her precious Tik-tik was alive, the other was a general direction. But she had no clue on the distance, nor the familiars condition.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:42 pm

Startled at the sudden connection to her TikTik, Emri drops her rations, and looks around frantically. Spotting the sergeant she calms her movements hoping nobody noticed. Emri closes her eyes and tries to pinpoint where he is, but get back nothing more than a vague direction.

"I'll go grab some firewood... or something," Emri quietly says to no one in particular. Heading off into the woods. As soon as she's out of ear shot, she takes off after TikTik. Stopping every now and then to focus and reorient herself towards him.
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:35 am

Image
Horns looked up at the red-headed lass volunteered to gather “firewood… or something.” He glanced at Cynric as she quickly moved off into the woods.

He muttered in a low rumble, “Well, that was not the least bit suspicious. Do ya think she is trying to make a run for it and esape?”

The minotaur was happy enough with the Black Company, certainly better off than he was in prison. It was a limited freedom of sorts. But running away was not a good solution as living on the run was not a better option for him and he expected the pirate felt the same.

“Should we follow ta make sure she donna do sumthin’ stupid?”
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12337
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:33 pm

Image

Cynric stared off at the red headed woman in shock. He couldn't believe she would do something stupid, as running, especially under the Sergeants nose.

"Indeed. Not subtle at all."

The pirate finished his meal and stood. Perhaps he sensed that they would be called to task to go after waif of the girl.

Sure enough, the departure and lame excuse did not go unnoticed at all by the Sergeant and others. However, he didn't immediately react or shout. He watched the girl departure on her flimsy excuse of an errand, but continued his conversation with the others trainers.

After a few moments, he strode over to Cynric and Horns.

"Alright you two. Obviously, the girl is out of her mind. Go fetch her before she hurts herself. It will give you a chance to brush up on your tracking skills."

Meanwhile, Emri runs haphazardly through the forest. Her connection to her family is very week and soon she lost it. It is as if the familiar is traveling at a higher speed and passed jut out of her range. The red head is left feeling a bit confused and disoriented. It isn't long before Cynric and Horns catch up to her.

The three are probably a good hike away from the rest of squad.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:11 pm

As the connection grows weaker, Emri gets more and more frantic. Stumbling over roots, bursting through thickets, dodging around trees, she has to find him. She needs to find her TikTik. But the connection is soon gone. Emri relives when she was taken the first time, and it doesn't hurt as much, but it doesn't matter to Emri. She's lost him again.

When Horns and Cynric finally catch up to Emri, she has collapsed, crying. Mumbling to herself, "I had him... So close..." *Sniff* Looking up at you both, "I found him, I found my TikTik!! But I couldn't get him..." *Sniff* I felt him back at camp, and I had to get him, I miss him!! But he was too fast, *Sniff* someone must have taken him!"
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:40 am

Image
Horns merely snorted at the Sergeant’s mention of brushing up on tracking skills. The minotaur had little of the sort to brush up on, but he did not correct the man. He suspected the pirate had little in that regard either.

He stomped off into the forest to follow in the wake of the fleeing girl.

When they did catch he look down at Cynric and remarks, “I guess we are better at woodcraft than I thought.”

Though, in all fairness the lass had not tried to conceal her passage or even bothered to hide or move quietly.

“So ya found him, lass. Didna he find ya back? I heard wizards gots a bond that works both aways, yeah? So mebbe ya right in that he was not free.”

“Or was he swinging through the trees and didna notice ya?”

Horns was at a loss on how to continue finding the lost TikTik. “What be the last direction ya think he gone? We can keep on in that direction a bit.”
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12337
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Herzog » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:07 am

Image

Cynric was breathing a bit heavily from the short hike through the woods to catch up with Emri. He was still not used to long marches, and Horn's long stride made it difficult to keep up without fast walking or jogging. But they caught quick enough he wasn't too winded.

"Indeed, " he replied to Horns about their tracking skills. "Hope the good ol Sergeant didn't send some one after us to make sure we didn't get lost."

The pirate looked at Horns as the girl broke down and became emotional. Something about her Tik-tik again. Familiars and such were outside his realm of knowledge.

Despite Emri's confusion, she did still have a general direction that she felt her familiar. It was in a northern direction, in line with the way the girl had tore off through the woods to begin with.

spoiler: show
Emri, Roll your familiar skill to see if you can tell anything else besides direction.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby Emri » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:15 pm

"I... I... I don't know. He was going that way," Emri says pointing north. Trying to get herself together, she says,

"Hold on, I'll see if I can feel him again," breathing deep and focusing on her TikTik...

Skill Roll | Show
Emri's Familiar(10)


Furrowing her brow, "I can't. I don't know what's going on, he was going much faster than I've ever experienced. I just know he's that way," Emri says after a few seconds. She gets up and wipes her face as clean as she can, dusts herself off,
"I'm going to look for him. I NEED him. Otherwise I'm no better than a camp follower. He's been in my life since I can remember. I just found him again, and I'm not going to lose him." And Emri slowly makes her way in the direction of TikTik.
User avatar
Emri
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: BC: Chasing the Tik-tik

Postby PMiller » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:02 pm

Image
Horns snorted at Emri's ability to be a camp follower. "Ya nawt a very good camp follower either, lass. First ya'd need to lose some of those sensibilities towards giving the men some pleasure and a show."

"Let's keep going in that direction, then. Maybe we find yar Ticker-Tik." He started walking along.

With the lass's sense of direction towards the location of her familiar, the minotaur was not worried about needing some tracking skills... thought he glanced back towards the way they had come and muttered to the pirate, "Mebbe we need the ol' Sergeant to track us down, jus so we can find our way back after chasing through da forest."

"Be sure to keep thinkin' on a gud story to tell him to keep from being hanged fur desertion."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12337
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Next

Return to The Black Company [The Window]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest