BC: New Recruits [IC]

Convicted Murderers, Thieves, and pirates. They all have a propensity towards violence. Something that the Empire of Khodar needs in its struggle against the Thelmor Dominion. As a convicted criminal, you are given the choice. Serve in the army for a chance at freedom or go to headsman. Wanting to live, you choose the former and enter the world of the Black Company.

Moderator: Herzog

Re: BC: New Recruits [IC]

Postby Emri » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Aela's sharp denial at her question shocked Emri a little bit. She hangs her head and tries to hold back her tears again, following the rest of the group.

As the "recruits", we're continually called, are ushered through the fort, Emri stays quiet and observes. Put in a rough formation and told to wait. A stocky rough looking man comes through. She jumps at Sergeant Redarm's voice, and focuses on him. Clearly military, and has seen his way around a battlefield many times. As he stares at Emri, she looks back at him, studying his face. But quickly, bows her head when their eyes meet.

As he asks if there are any questions, Emri, debating to herself weather this is a good idea, slowly raises her hand. "Wha.. What if we don't... um, know how to... fight?" Emri asks.
Emri
Villager
Villager

Postby Herzog » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:08 pm

Emri's admission of the lack of fighting prowess causes Sergeant Redarm to glare for a second. You get the impression that he isn't one to coddle. That his job is to teach new 'recruits' that they need to fight if they want to survive to see their pardon.

"Well missy, " he says in wryly voice, "You best learn quick."

He gestured over to the weapon's rack where you see various martial and simple practice weapons. Everything from a practice swords, to blunt arrows and javelins, to practice clubs and pikes.

"You obviously have the capacity to harm in order to survive. Otherwise you would have lost your head about this time."

Meanwhile, the other new 'recruits' have been busy picking out their weapons and are nearly ready.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Emri » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:34 pm

Expecting this, Emri walks over to the weapons rack dejectedly.

"Yes, I understand sir," as she picks up a small dagger, "but the only knife-work I know is for cooking." Emri mimes chopping ingredients, and looks up at the sergeant. "My capacity to harm someone comes from my magic, and now that I don't have my TikTik, I can't use magic." Knowing it probably won't get her anywhere, Emri tests the dagger's feel in her hand. Not really knowing what to look for in a good knife, but just what feels good to hold. Satisfied, and hoping that she won't get too hurt, she waits for... whatever is supposed to happen next.

Under her breathe she mutters, "I would be better equipped if I could have him back. Better able to show what I can do."
Emri
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:35 pm

Horns dropped off the load with Cynric and loitered near the practice yard. He nodded towards where the recruits were getting the briefing on the initial trial, his the horns of his massive bull head pointing in that direction.

Seeing the waif of a girl fingering a wooden replica of a knife and trying to persuade the Sergeant about something, he remarked, “I donna think the lass is gonna try my advice… Though lifting her skirt might do better against the Sergeant instead.”

“Heh, iffin ol’ Redballs actually has a third arm to use,” he chuckled at his own joke.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:05 am

You assumptions about Redarm and his lack of sympathy are correct. He simply shrugs his shoulders.

"And what would you do if you Tik-tik or whatever falls in the heat of battle?"

The sergeant didn't expect an answer and moved his glare to the rest of the recruits. They all the same leary look as they had picked out various practice weapons. None of them knew what to expect.

"Alright, that's enough time. Let's get you out there and see what you are made of!"

With that, you are lead out into the practice yard. The yard itself is about 50ft by 50ft and is enclosed by a simple wooden fence. The dirt is hard packed from months of practice bouts. Around and hanging on the fence are numerous spectators, veterans or trainers of the Black Company looking to see what you prisoners are made of.

"And here they are, " commented Cynric as he hung the fence railing next to Horns.

"I dunno, the Sergeant seems to take his job seriously. Not sure he be the type to swayed by some fancy tail."

The rogue was particular impressed by this batch of recruits. But his ego is inflated a bit as he and Horns with through the same trial a few weeks ago.

"Heh, were we this clueless when they weclomed us?" the long haired man asked.

Sergeant Redarm began calling out names of some veterans to be the prisoner opponents. They began selecting weapons from a rack on the opposite side and jumping the fence to face off. With in short order, there is a veteran for each prisoner.

the burly mans cut through any small talk and murmurs.

"Alright! There are two rules to this bout. Stay inside the yard, and the fight goes on until you yield or are knocked unconscious."

The sergeant looked at both you and your opponents. "Remember, you are being watched."

Redarm quickly moved to the side of the yard. He chopped his arm and yelled "Begin!"

The fight is on!

Emri was faced down by a well muscled black haired man that was shirt less. He had some wicked looking tattoos around the top of his chest and shoulders. The man was armed with a short sword, and looked quick on his feet.

Combat Notes | Show
Health
Emri: health d12

Veterans:
V1: d8 agi, d12 health, d10 atck, shortsword
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Emri » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:51 pm

At Redarm's words she gives a little glare at his back, muttering,

"That's if they could get close enough before my magic took care of them."

As the sergeant calls for the fight to start, Emri stands with her borrowed dagger before her. Just standing there thinking, If only I had my TikTik, and not this stupid knife! As soon as the man is in range she thrusts out haphazardly at his midsection.

Combat Notes | Show
Emri (8) vs. Tattoo (3)
Emri
Villager
Villager

Postby Herzog » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:31 am

The fight began in earnest. The veterans tore into the new recruits with gusto. Many of these veterans had been in your place months before, and had proved their worth. They would make you do the same. The crowd of spectators on the sidelines was cheering and jeering them on. About half the recruits came away from the initial exchange with bruises and hits that would linger the next day. A lucky recruit or two did managed to land a hit on the veterans.

Emri's opponent easily dodged the jab with the knife. The tatooed man grinned as he took a swipe with his short sword. The red headed girl failed to dodge out of the way and was smacked with the wooden practice sword.

Combat rolls | Show
Tattoo attack vs Emri Agility, and then health roll vs TN of 8 for short sword

"Ohh...this isn't going to last long, " quipped Cynric from the side lines.

Combat notes | Show
Health
Emri: health d12, d20

Veterans:
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Emri » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:06 pm

With a sharp wince Emri spins around taking another stab.

Why am I fighting?! "Just give me my TikTik!!" Emri furiously screams. Her blind, angry thrust is easily seen through, as the tattooed man dodges again.

Combat Notes | Show
Emri ATK (10) vs Tattoo AGI (3)
Emri
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:57 am

Horns leaned against the fence post, the sturdy pole able to take his weight where the fence rail was questionable.

He snorted through those bull nostrils, “Aye, she brought a wooden knife to a sword fight. She not listen about trying some unconventional tactics.”

“Shudda kicked him in the balls first off after lifting her skirts to distract him. Hell, iffin she maneuvered over near here, I mighta accidentally poked her opponent or somethin’ ta help.”

He shook his head sadly as the lass swiped again and missed.

“Lass! Ya need ta try a bit of trickery or some shit. Da Ticker Tik ploy ain’t gonna do it!”
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Grunts and yelps of pain are heard as the bout continues. A shout goes up from the sidelines as first one and then two new recruits are knocked senseless to the ground. THose veterans who have knocked their opponents out move to the sidelines to watch the remaining recruits. Still, the other recruits do manage to get in a couple of hits.

"Whoa! Feisty one!" joked the tattood man as he dodge Emri's jab with the dagger. He didn't seem to be breaking a sweat. Nevertheless, he swung again with the practice short sword. It smacked again, and would leave a bruise in the morning.

Combat roll | Show
Attck vs Emri - agility, then health

"Oh boy, I think Redarm has his work cut out, " Cynric said to Horns. THe last of the recruits had either yielded or would soon be unconscious. The rogue wondered what the red headed lass was going to do.

The tattooed man did pause after that last strike, giving Emri the opportunity to yield.

Combat Notes | Show
Health
Emri: health d12, d20, d30

Veterans:

Last Rournd
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:35 am

Horns grunted as the tattooed veteran was toying with the lass. “Hmmyup. Tho tis not exactly very useful when they thrust a bookish one into the ring and expect them to show much of anything in skill. But let them unleash their magicks, look the fuck out.”

“Too bad the lass was not into trickeries. I wonder if tattoo here be wearing dat armored cod piece to protect his jewels.”

He still remembered being felled by such tactics on the veterans’ part.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Emri » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:03 am

I haven't been this hurt since I lived with the Mistress!! Emri thought. Glaring at the tattooed man, Emri says

"I'll show you feisty," and makes yet another lunge at him.

Combat notes | Show
Emri ATK (2) vs Tattoo AGI (6)

Emri is surprised she can actually hit the man.
Emri
Villager
Villager

Postby Herzog » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:51 am

"Ooohhhh! Look at that!" cheered Cynric as Emri landed a hit on the burly tattooed man. Shouts of exclamations went up from others on the side lines. They obviously didn't think the red head bringing a knife to a sword fight would amount to much. Apparently Emri proved them wrong.

"Yeah, probably. " The rogue responded the Horn's comment about the cod piece. Many veterans had noted the incident with the minotaur.

"If the red head is a magic user, wonder why she isn't using it? Think maybe the Mage Order have something to do with it when they threw her in prison?"

Meanwhile, back in the practice yard, the Tattooed veteran grunted in surprised as the practice dagger jabbed into his side. He would be feeling that one in the morning. He could also imagine the jeers he would hear from his mates later the following days.

With a bit of anger, the shirtless man swung his shortsword recklessly. Emri was easily able to dodge out the way. There were more cheer and jeers from the side lines. The tattoo man was going to strike again, but Sergeant Redarms voice range out from the side.

Combat Roll | Show
Tattoo vs Emir, attck, agil, health

"Alright, that's enough!"

Emri's opponent growled and eyed the sergeant before dropping his stance. He obviously didn't like having his fight ended. But looking around, you can see that all the other prisoners were knocked out or have yielded. Redarm didn't believe it was necessary to drag the fight out.

A couple of the companies healers had jumped the fence and were making sure that you could all walk to the infirmary to get checked out for any broken bones and such.

The sergeant had every one's attention as the prisoners were struggling to their feet.

"Ok. We know what we got to work with. Some good and some bad." He looked at each of you in the eye, his pace impassive. Rather you performed better than the previous bunch or not, was unclear.

"We do this practice bout as an evaluation. Many of those watching were trainers, and they have noted what skills you have displayed. In the coming weeks, they will hone those skills to make you fighting men and women. At least more so then what you had going into prison.

One thing is evident in the Black Company from the sergeants speech. They seem to be straight forward and honest. Perhaps it is because many are taking the second chance given to them to heart.

"Any questions before we head off to the infirmary and show you were you living for the next few weeks?"
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Emri » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:11 pm

Emri, huffing from exertion, just stays quiet, eyeing the tattooed man. She really wants her TikTik back, but Redarm doesn't seem like the man to bother with that. She'll have to find out from someone else where he went.

Emri follows along to the infirmary, hoping to bend a more friendly ear.
Emri
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:48 am

Horns shrugged as the contest was called before the lass was beaten unconscious. "Well, looks like they saw enough to know she has spirit and needs more practice with that knife. I cannot tell ya why she didn't fling her spells. Maybe she needs a book to study them first and they don't let fucking wizards have those in prison." He turned from the practice yard and started heading towards their barracks.

"Har, ha," he laughed as he listened to his own words. "Well, maybe a fucking wizard would be allowed one if she was really good in the hay with the guards. But those poor sods that cannot fuck so good, be shit out of luck, eh?" he elbowed Cynric and nearly knocked him over into a bush.

Oblivious to his own strength, he continued talking, "What do you suppose we are to do now that our porter's duties be over? Nap time in the barracks?" he asked with a conspiratorial tone. They might just be able to gaff off and takes naps if the Sergeant neglected to see them and give them busy chores to do. The minotaur started stomping with a more purposeful gate to appear like he was moving along smartly on something official.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Black Company [The Window]