BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1 [IC]

Convicted Murderers, Thieves, and pirates. They all have a propensity towards violence. Something that the Empire of Khodar needs in its struggle against the Thelmor Dominion. As a convicted criminal, you are given the choice. Serve in the army for a chance at freedom or go to headsman. Wanting to live, you choose the former and enter the world of the Black Company.

Moderator: Herzog

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:13 am

Ataxia watches the enraged soldier with an inadvertently bemused, intense scrutiny. As if he were observing a monkey in a cage, he nodded to his silent observation and added muted exclamations. "Oh?... Mmmhmmm... Interesting..."

When the cool-as-a-cucumber, older soldier mentioned camping, Ataxias eyes lit up.

"Camping?? Yay!" The gnome pumps his fist into the air in an exuberant display of joy. He sprints a short way to stand near the forts outside wall.

"We can put the tent here and the fire there and the ole' choppin' block there! Ohhhh.... I haven't been camping since I was just little."

He glances slyly at the wagon holding hay sitting up the street and stage whispers,"We can use that as firewood. It's a little rickety looking anyway."

The gnome smiles as he envisions lighting the wagon up.
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:37 am

Horns was almost tempted to let the crazy gnome start fires and other mischief... but he was not so sure that would help them get their supplies of they got in trouble for destroying the town. But the runaround by the soldiers was getting on his nerves.

"So, who's the next one in fuckin' charge. This is the army, taint it? The Commanding Officer donna just leave an' let the poges run the place without a second in command."

"Donna tell me that's you," he grumbled in a deep voice.

"What's the captain's name, then? Mebbe he is tossin' back the sauce on a bender."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:10 am

944 FE, Septembus 30th – Late Afternoon

Camping would be very unpleasant. Your kits contain bedrolls and such, but no tents and group items. You had been expected to stay at an inn for the night.

The older soldier glared at Horns. He was losing his patience as well since you're not taking no for answer.

"Aye, that would be me. Now I believe this conversation is over. You Black Company types may have escaped the headsman, but that doesn't make you invincible. Threatening and fighting the Imperial Army is treason, and will land you back on the headsman list, regardless of the Brand. I suggest you leave. Now.

He did not answer the question of the captain's name. The solider was done. His reminder of your place was enough, and the threat in his own voice clear. The soldiers up on the battlements was enough. Any violence outside the gate would mostly likely end badly for you. You let the pair of soldiers pass back into the fort without issue. The door slammed shut behind them, leaving you staring at a closed gate.

"Well shit. Now what?" asked Cynric.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:29 am

Horns was not real impressed with the army pukes pretty much gaffing them off. But the old soldier was correct in pointing out there was little they could really do about it.

He harrumphed and grumbled, “Prolly a good thing they dinna start sumthin’. Iffin there was a mess, then we would have gotten all the blame. Their witnesses would have ensured that, even if it was nawt true.”

He climbed back onto the wagon, the wood creaking with the strain of taking his weight.

“Let’s go to the inn an’ get rooms. Mebbe we can ask around for this captain. Surely someone’s gotta know him.”
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:16 pm

Cynric looked sourly over at Horns and shrugged his shoulders.

"It would have been an unpleasant mess that is for sure." he agreed. It was apparently that the pirate didn't fancy starting trouble that would land him back on the headsman's block.

The pirate did not mount his horse, preferring to walk some of the soreness out of his legs. Silently, the rest of you turned the wagon around and proceeded towards the square.

In short order, you spied the inn. The sign was that of a gaudy blond woman dressed in a kilt and bending over as if to blow a kiss. Under neither the picture, Tilted Kilt was scrawled in red letters. The common room of the inn seemed to be lively as could be heard through the door.

"Huh, seems like my kind of place!" Cynric pointed out as you approached the building.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:44 pm

The odd looking gnome tilts his head as they approach the inn, listening and watching with great interest. "That place is teeming with 'not-gnomes'! Listen to them all! Oooooooooooo...this is going to be fun."

Ataxia is grinning from ear to ear, which, in his case, is almost an accurate physical description.

He's a little disappointed the group is not going to be camping, but he's sure they'll have an opportunity to do so before the end of their prison term.

In contrast to the gnomes absolute joy at going into the inn, Glumpy, his down trodden donkey, walks with his ears sagged low and his hooves almost dragging along the cobblestone. Ataxia pats his head, not even noticing. "Oh Glumpy... We made it! You did real good, Glumpy ole' pal! There may be a tattoo in your future after all!"

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:26 am

Horns was driving a wagon and there were horses and it to deal with. Considering they got no consideration from the army pukes at the fort, he really did not want the hassle of tracking down a horse and wagon that were led astray while he was drinking.

Pulling the wagon to a halt near the entrance he said, “Alright, just tie the reins o’ yar mounts ta the back of the wagon. I will wait here before going in an’ ya all send out a stable boy or the innkeeper to let me arrange their stabling.”

“Save me a keg of ale… and donna start a brawl without me.”
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:36 pm

"Indeed we have, " commented Cynric as he handed off the reins of the his horse to the stableman. "Try not to get us thrown out."

Despite the failure of getting their supplies, the pirate was in a better mood than he had been in weeks.

"Aye, we'll scout us up a table and get the beer flowing. And perhaps that frosty witch will joins us and thaw out!"

While Horns tended the wagon, Cyrnic led Ataxia and Carver into the common of the inn and tavern.

Inside, you find a large common with several tables, chairs and benches. On the center of one wall, a fire crackles. Along another wall, the tavern's bar stands with kegs tapped and a burley bar man standing behind it serving out drinks. Yellow light is cast down from lanterns and iron chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. Stairs leading up towards the guest room jut out from the back wall.

The atmosphere is somewhat merry, a mysterial or some such plucks his strings in the corner. Several of the tables are occupied by patrons. A game of chance is going on in the corner. Most have the look of the working class. At your entrance, some look up, and note your armor. Ataxia draws a few stares as gnomes are not common. But few give you trouble. This tavern isn't partial to the bickering of the army or the black company. The patrons have their own lives to worry about.

A very buxom tavern wench notes your entrance. She has a pair of tankards in each hand, but still can direct newcomers. She is one of a pair taking care of the patrons and perhaps are the inspiration for the inn and taverns namesake.

"Oi! Welcome to the Kilt! Take a seat some where! And I'll see to you in a bit!"

Cynric tries hard to keep from leering as you make your way to an empty table.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:05 pm

Horns checked out the stable and accompanied the stableman that was leading the other horses. Given his own somewhat bovine nature, he wanted a good look at the accommodations for the animals since he might be sleeping with them as well. Beds in the inn were likely to be too short and not stout enough to carry his large frame.

He hit up the stableboy on some conversation, “Say there, lad. How smart are ya on the comings and goings around here?”
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:24 pm

Ataxia stares back at those staring at him as he walks into the tavern. His wide spread, purple irised eyes bore into any who catch his eyes. Not in an intimidating way, but unnerving, to say the least. When the barmaiden approaches them, the Gnome blinks twice, looks at her breasts, then to the pirate, then to her breasts and back to Cyrnic. "I have a feeling you're going to be tipping well tonight."

The three make their way to a table near the fire and sit. Ataxia takes a seat with his face to the room and his back to the wall. There's not a chance he was going to miss a single sight on this evening.

"Do you think they have yak butter here? It's been so long since I've seen yak butter."

He watches the room with wide eyed zeal, adding, "I don't like yak butter, by the way."

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby Merry Mortician » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:38 pm

"Never had yak butter," Carver muses as he sits on wood polished by thousands of cheeks before his own. He looks disinterestedly at his hands and takes note of the dirt that has built beneath his nails. He pulls a very small splinter from the worn edge of the table and begins to dig gods know what out from under his fingernails.

"It's been so long since I've tasted a cold beer that I don't even know where to begin." The aging man looks up briefly at his compatriots to gauge their reactions and then his gaze returns to the task at hand.
Merry Mortician
Villager
Villager

Postby Herzog » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Horns examination of the stable finds that is decent for an inn. The roof and walls were sturdy. The straw and feed fresh. Only about half of the stable had horses in it. Plenty of room for the Company's horses. There were a couple of stalls big enough for the minotaur to sleep in.

"Huh? I just work the stables. I do it well, " the stableboy replied. He was a intimidated by Horns, but one could aslo he was a bit slow in the head. He scrunched his face up in thought.

"I don't see soldiers often." he finally said. He then took the horses and began to dress them for the night.

Inside, the rest of you sit at a table near the fire. You would have to grab one of the benches along the wall for Horns, and probably an extra chair for the witch when she arrives.

Cynric seats in his chair with a sigh. Probably from his sore muscles from the days ride.

"Yak butter? What the hell is that?" he asked shaking his head. By now, the pirate should be used to the rambles of the crazy node.

The long brown haired man eyed Oz. "Easy. Order whatever the house has on tap. Probably the cheapest and does the job just as well as anything fancy. Unless you've sworn off spirits and the like."

"As for myself...I'm think I'm going to enjoy the eye candy."

The pirate glanced out at the rest of the common room, his eyes tracking the wenches without trying to be overly obvious. The pair were still busy and had yet to make it to your table.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:13 pm

Horns chuffed as the simpleton stable boy was pretty clueless about the army, “Huh, okay.”

But then, he was just dealing with a peasant with no other career prospects. Not everyone could have aspirations to go out to kill people until they locked one away to later set them free to legally go kill some more people in hopes that it would kill the murderer in the end. The minotaur could not fault the lad.

Horns clopped back around to the inn’s door to the tap room and ducked his large frame through it to the interior. Spotting the others near the fire and an available bench that looked to be sturdy enough to hold the weight of a few big men, he carefully waded through the patrons… only bumping a handful of them in the process.

Settling his bulk, he still looked down at the others seated. He asked, “Did ya order a keg of ale?”
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Merry Mortician » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:08 am

"The servers haven't made it over this way yet," Oz replies to Horns. He finishes digging under his fingernails and flicks the splinter into the room at large from between his middle finger and thumb. "We were just considering poisons before you came in." He turns back to Cynric and asks, "Something cheap, you say? I suppose a man's first taste of water after stumbling through the desert would seem like nectar." The would-be physician moves his spectacles up to crown his head and rubs at his eyes before replacing the lenses. "Ataxia," he yawns. "What odd concoction will you be drinking?"
Merry Mortician
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Horns frowned at the slow service. He muttered under his breath, “Ya shouldn’t have to pay for slow poison.”

He answered Oz, “I could use a keg of ale, even watered down it will quench the thirst.”

Then he drew in a deep breath, that massive for covered chest filling like a bladder of mead. It was followed a moment later with a bellow, “OY! LET’S GET SUM SERVICE HERE!”

Black Company or not, the minotaur knew they were no longer convicts and important defenders of the realm instead. From his point of view, being former prisoners with death sentences should be a cause for more fearful respect from the peons and common folk. Who knew what someone from the Black Company might do if they got pissed? They were all convinced criminals and psychopaths after all.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Black Company [The Window]