BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1 [IC]

Convicted Murderers, Thieves, and pirates. They all have a propensity towards violence. Something that the Empire of Khodar needs in its struggle against the Thelmor Dominion. As a convicted criminal, you are given the choice. Serve in the army for a chance at freedom or go to headsman. Wanting to live, you choose the former and enter the world of the Black Company.

Moderator: Herzog

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Herzog » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Image

Cynric shakes his head.

“I don’t know any sea shanties, but drinking songs…well….”

The pirate hummed a nameless tone that was easily recognized as a popular drinking song. It was quickly stopped when the long haired man had to focus on his attention on his horse. The animal had jockeyed around and was anxious to get going.

Aela was rolling her eyes.

“What are you getting me into?” she muttered to the Sergeant.

Image

Redarm shrugged his shoulders and then looked back at Horns.

“We are far from the front and there isn’t anything worth stealing out this way for bandits. So I don’t expect any trouble. Your standard issue kit should be enough to handle any one stupid enough to start a fight. Especially with a minotaur in the party. But if it happens, make sure you finish it.”

Sergeant Redarm looked around for any more questions.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Image


Ataxia looks down at the depressed donkey and pats its bristly mane. "Buck up, Glumpy," he says, giving the sad looking donkey a name.

"Get me there and back again and there might just be a shiny new carrot in it for you. Or I'll take you into town and we can drink until we're tattooed."

The gnome isn't having to worry about the donkey being overly anxious to get going, like those haughty, highfalutin horses. It seems his mount is the equine equivalent of Prozac, it's ears and eyes down and its mouth in an odd frown.

At the mention of a joke, Ataxia perks up, seeming to remember something from his past. "I know a joke!"

The gnome tries to turn his stead but the docile donkey doesn't budge. Instead, the gnome turns in the saddle to face Carver.

"I heard it from a half elf named Rykyle I used to adventure with. He had bucked teeth something bad, but he was missing one of them, so he talked with a 'lithp', whatever THAT is."

He looks at the witch and somehow remains oblivious to the daggers she was shooting his way from her eyes.

"So we fell out of the back of a racing fur wagon, dressed in drag, and rolled headlong into a vegetable stand. He told me his joke as we laid there and I said, 'Ha ha ha, Rykyle, that was funny!!' "

He casts a sidelong glance at Cynric and admonishes, "And don't ruin the joke, Cynric, as I'm positive you must know it."

"Okay, Carver the Not-Gnome...What's orange and sounds like a parrot?"

He looks quickly at the pirate and blurts, so the scoundrel can't beat him to the punch.

"A CARROT!!!"

The gnome then breaks into unstoppable laughter, leaning over the coming almost eye to eye with his donkey. "Did you hear that, Glumpy? A carrot!"

When the glum stead doesn't respond, the gnome stops laughing and looks pleadingly at his mount, adopting a serious tone.

"Awe c'mon Glumpy... Why the long face?"

When Redarm asks if anyone has more questions, the gnome can't choose just one from the dozens running through his mind, so he remains quiet and simply shakes his head.
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
User avatar
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am
Location: The Fallout Universe

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby PMiller » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:40 am

Image

Horns nodded at the news about the unlikelihood of bandits and the warning to simply deal with it regardless. He shook he head to indicate he had no further questions and got his horses in motion to pull the wagon.

He commented to the witch since she seemed rather unhappy about riding heard on them, "Ya got yarself into the Black Company, twould appear. That means ya deserve this shit like the rest o' us, ha!" He looked pointedly at the mad gnome with a few screws loose, figuring they all deserved him.

Horns shrugged and steer his wagon towards the gate of the fort so they could depart the Ivanstead Barracks.

"Movin' out! See ya around, Sarge."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12311
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Herzog » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:41 pm

944 FE, Septembus 30th – Late Afternoon

Without any further questions, Sergeant Redarm bid you good luck. With Aela guiding her horse into the lead, the witch took lead and directed you out of the barracks. You were off on your first journey without armed escort since your capture and arrest. The feeling was rather exhilarating.

There was a slight fall breeze that was felt upon leaving the barrack's gates. The breeze would be with the rest of the day. The sun was up and the sky was contained scattered clouds. It was a good day for traveling.

Turning northwest, you took the road that paralleled the Whiterun River for the most part. It was not right on the banks like the tow path, but set back and further up to prevent washout in case of floods. Eastshire was upstream of Ivanstead and was the fist major town with a port in that direction.

The road itself was a wide dirt path that had seen better days. There were ruts that needed to be avoided with wagon, and occasional mud puddles that hadn't dried up from the last rain. Traffic on it was light, only an occasional rider or farmer was seen or passed. Most of those kept to their own business and hurried by.

As the hours passed, the scenery alternated between farmland, the river when the road was close, and old forest. Aela briefed on the local events and history as she knew it. Small talk picked up between every one as well, when the horses and such were being mindful. By late afternoon, the town of Eastshire came into view. Her crow familiar occasionally made a nuisance of itself.

http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnai ... r-Town.jpg

Eastshire looked to be an upcoming trading harbor on the Whiterun River. From a glimpse of the river bend from the road, you could see numerous barges and small sailing skiff's lined up at the town's wharf. A stone wall surrounded the town, but it was beginning to grow past it as a few outlying buildings lay outside of it. If one had to guess, Eastshire had a population of a couple of thousand. It's made commodities were fish from the river and cotton from the surrounding countryside. Both of which were barged up and down the river. A smallish keep was on hill that overlooked the harbor. The army was using it as a supply depot, and as such had a fairly small garrison. There were no town guards at the city gates.

Aela took the lead again as group threaded your way to the center of the town. You all garner more than few looks, both by Horn's appearance and the recognizable black and grey of the Company. One wouldn't go so far as to hide their kids at your sight, but there were definitely weary glances and such.

At a center square, the witch stopped. She was beginning to have a worried look on her face. The square itself had a couple of shops, and an inn...Tilted Kilt said the sign. The white haired girl handed off the requisition order to Oz, and said that she need to make her errands before the sunset. The witch also said she would meet them back at the Tilted Kilt tavern and inn later that evening.

Before you knew it, she had hustled off and left you on your own. With much for it, the rest of you continued onto the armory. In 15 minutes, you all had stopped before the old keeps gate. The large gate was closed, but had a small door inset into it for personal to ingress without having to open the entire gate. No one was visible at the moment to great you.

https://www.colourbox.com/preview/29862 ... castle.jpg
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby PMiller » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:18 am

Image

Horns stopped the wagon in front of the gate and grumbled, "What do ya suppose that witch is up to? Wasn't she gonna stick with us for this?" he nodded towards the armory to indicate what he meant by "this".

He climbed off the wagon to approach the gate on foot and the little door in it. He beckoned the crazy Ataxia to come over. He stood beside the door, not so readily in view should someone crack it open or look through a little peep window. He said, "I be knockin' an' ya stand there in front so they can see ya."

When Ataxia was ready he banged on the reinforced wooden doors of the gate with his hoof in a mule kick method. With his strength and mass the noise was rather loud.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12311
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Merry Mortician » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:47 pm

Image
Oz takes the requisition order in hand and examines the seal. Though he knows it must be a simple list of supplies for transport and likely contains no information of interest to him, he has to shrug away the naggling temptation to open the order, like a child impatient to remove the cloth wrapping of a nameday gift. He barely notices when Aela departs. "Hmm? Oh her. Redarm said she had some errands, I thought. That was why it was convenient for us to tag along. Besides, we're just loading a cart and heading back to the barracks. It's a wonder the most excitement we've had in weeks has been the ride here."
Merry Mortician
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:01 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Herzog » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:24 am

Image

Cynric had wondered at the witch's errands too. But as Oz had said, she had errands of her own.

"Look at this way. We are being trusted to look after ourselves somewhat. Something tells me the witch isn't a stickler for rules, if you know what I mean."

The pirate carefully dismounted from his horse. He didn't want to make a fool of himself in front of the army, and thought it best to have his own two feet on the ground before hand. Off the horse, Cynric massaged his butt and thighs while looking up at the gate and walls of the keep.

Horn's kicking of the door was loud. It also proved the gate was very sturdy Oak and hardly budged on it's hinges. It was made to withstand a battering ram after all. The door inset into the gate rattled a bit, but was reinforced and barred from the other side.

Shortly after the kicking, a head appeared up on the wall. The army guard was close enough to see his snear before he disappeared again. Some shouting and calling could be heard, but it was indistinguishable.

After some more time, several heads appeared above the gate. Army sentries armed with crossbows. Down at the gate, the door opened revealing a couple of soldiers. They were dressed in chain mail and tunics of the regular army. Horns gave them pause, but they carried on.

http://www.fishzombie.com/uploads/medie ... ry_fin.jpg

"Oi, some Black Company rats!" sneered one.

The other gave him a look, and then a hard gaze to the rest of you.

"Some nerve. What do you want?" he demanded. He had a stern look. Any sign of surprise at the motley crew of races of your group did not show on his face.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby PMiller » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:22 am

Image

Horns was not intimidated by the number of soldiers above and visible from the open door. He clomped forward and loomed over the sneering one and said, "Rat, eh? Ya gonna be my fuckin' cheese, boyo." He poked the soldier in the chest. "Heh, ya smell like cut cheese, HAR HAR!"

He turned to the other one and had a hard look in return as he continued. "I got ya sum big fuckin' balls with that nerve. Ya know damn well why we are here."

"So get the gates open and call the Quartermaster. We are here for our supplies for Ivanstead Barracks."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12311
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:52 am

Image


The trip to get the supplies was filled with wonderment and new things to sense. Enormous trees and scuttling little animals and the sounds of the birds and the wind blowing through the trees.

For a short time, much to Glumpys despair, the gnome was fascinated with the donkeys ears. He poked and prodded and ran their bristles between his elongated fingers. Finally the donkey belched out an abrasive bray telling the gnome, under no circumstances, was he to fish his finger into its ear canal again.

When Eastshire came into view, Ataxia was practically vibrating in the saddle. "Ooooooo.... Look at that!" and "Do you think THAT one is a boy elf or a girl elf?" were just small samplings of what the talkative gnome was rattling off as they made their way to the towns center.

As the white haired witch told them she was going off to do errands, Ataxia frowned. "Awwww... I'm going to miss your teeth, Mrs. Aela."

Once they made their way to the keep and Horns smacks the door with his hoof, the diminutive gnome stands where the Minotaur indicated. He cleared his throat, as if he were a haughty thespian preparing to give an epic soliloquy.

The soldiers weren't very nice at all, however, so Ataxia was happy to let Horns be the speaker of the group. "Ha ha ha, Horns! Cut cheese is gross smelling... Just like that guy!" He points at the one that called them rats.

"Your maxed out with +10 Observational Humor on that one!" he says, referring to something in his mind.

Glumpy sighs heavily and does a lethargic shuffle.
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
User avatar
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am
Location: The Fallout Universe

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Herzog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:02 am

944 FE, Septembus 30th – Late Afternoon

Image

Cynric eyed the the soldiers on the wall and took stock of the situation as Ataxia and Horns confronted the soldiers.

"Aye, they're late!" he added as he came up next to Horns.

The one soldier that Horn's antagonized went red with anger. He started to say something when the more experienced soldier cut him off.

"You have papers?" he demanded. He wasn't so intimidated by Horns.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Merry Mortician » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:01 pm

Image
Oz takes one last look at the wax seal, tempted to open the requisition order, before looking up at the lead soldier's last words. "Naturally," he says as he steps forward and holds the papers out. "I am sure you will find everything in order."

The gatekeeper snatches the order brusquely but without any malice. Oz barely suppresses a sigh before saying, "Please do not strain yourself examining routine paperwork too closely." He takes a measured step backward then, and stands with his hands clasped behind his back. While waiting for approval of the orders, Oz glances sideways at his companions. He wonders idly what they will do if the quartermaster finds any reason to refuse.
Merry Mortician
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:01 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby PMiller » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:31 am

Image

Horns did not really understand much of what Ataxia said, but figured it would annoy the army pukes guarding the armory more as they were not used to the lunatic rantings.

Since the guards were not being very accommodating, the hulking minotaur resolved to bull his way through the little door in the gate. "Ya got yar paperwork, now let's get this business goin', eh. Ya gots ta move it, move it," he added with a bit of sing song in his tone. He ducked his head to make it through the door and the result was he was leading his bulk through it with the pointed horns preceding him.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12311
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Herzog » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:13 pm

The solder with the papers breaks the seal and unfurls the parchment. He spends a moment reading it over. The other soldier ogles at Horn’s as the minatour proceeds through the door in the gate. There is some commotion from the soldiers on top of the wall.

Meanwhile, Horn’s finds himself facing a closed iron portcullis on the other side thru the doorway. Through the portcullis, the ex-convict can see part of the open courtyard of the fort. The inside of the walls block views to either side. There are a couple of empty and unhitched wagons visible towards the back of the open area, and some soldier’s loitering about near some tables near the center.

In the space between the wooden gate and the portcullis, Horn’s observers several arrow slits and a single closed door. There are some scuffling behind the arrow slits as some one takes notice of the minotaur’s presence. Ports in the ceiling also reveal the same from the few soldiers ontop of the gate house. There is no room to dodge from any arrows or bolts that come flying out of the arrow slits.

Back outside, the older soldier rolls the orders back up. He has the look of disdain on his face.

“Well, don’t know nothing about this order. The Captain might, but he ain’t here. And he’ll have to sign off on any requisition anyhow.”

“I’ll be glad to pass along the order to the captain, who can look at when he is available. Otherwise, I suggest you leave.”

The other soldier was openly sneering a bit. With the soldiers on the walls and such, they were not above dealing with trouble if it started. Horns could hear some of the soldiers behind the arrow slits and on the walls telling him to piss off.

It seems you’re not welcome any more.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby PMiller » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:11 am

Image

Horns huffed and glared as his progress became stymied with at portcullis to prevent them from entering. With nothing else for it, he stooped back through the doorway to where the officious soldier was giving them the runaround. He stood looming over the older soldier, between him and the little door in the gate. There was hardly any room to get past the hulking minotaur unless one was a halfling or gnome.

"Aye, you cheese cutters taint no better than poges. At least army poges can fuckin' read," he added with a disdainful grumble.

"Alright, where be your wee Captain then? We came for the supplies an' we taint leavin' without them."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12311
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: BC: A Warm Welcome - Chapter 1

Postby Herzog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:23 am

944 FE, Septembus 30th – Late Afternoon

Image

Cynric snickered at Horn's comments about the army. But the insult was not helping them get their supplies.

"Aye, Then we can have a chat with the good ol Captain about late supplies."

The younger of the pair of soldiers was still livid, and almost made a move to draw his sword. A sharp call from the other stopped him in his tracks. One thing for sure, this bunch was fairly disciplined.

The older soldier looked Horns up and down. He was nonplussed about the minatour blocking his way back into the fort.

"Well then, I hope you've brought camping supplies. I've no idea on where the Captain is as I'm not his keeper. He could be gone the rest of the night and then some.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Black Company [The Window]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron