BC: OOC Discussion

Convicted Murderers, Thieves, and pirates. They all have a propensity towards violence. Something that the Empire of Khodar needs in its struggle against the Thelmor Dominion. As a convicted criminal, you are given the choice. Serve in the army for a chance at freedom or go to headsman. Wanting to live, you choose the former and enter the world of the Black Company.

Moderator: Herzog

BC: OOC Discussion

Postby Herzog » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:03 am

Description

The Empire of Khodar and the Thelmor Dominion have been locked in conflict for generations. Some call it an ideological struggle between the two nations. Others call it a crusade by the Thelmor Dominion to expand it’s territory and convert heathens to their religion. The Empire of Khodar has had its own imperialist tendencies as well in their effort to expand. Either way, the two nations are constantly fighting. The surrounding kingdom’s try to stay out the way, lest they get swallowed up by one side or the other.

The latest conflict has just broken out a few months ago, and this time the Thelmor Dominion has employed mercenaries to supplement their zealous army. Normally the Empire of Khador has the advantage in numbers, but the mercenaries threaten to tip the balance. The counter is the reinstatement of the Black Company program. As the Empire of Khador has a problem with overflowing prisons, the government decided to put those able bodied men to good use. Prisoners can have their sentences commuted to military service, and if they survived their time in the army, they would be free men. Many convicted criminals jumped at the chance as many of them were to be sent to the headsman. The higher ups of course, intended to use these companies as cannon fodder. After all, they couldn’t have military trained convicts running loose at the end of the war.

Players take the role of convicts that are given the choice to serve in the Black Company or live out their sentences, be it execution or life in prison. The players start at humble beginnings, with little or no class. As they progress in their trials and tribulations in the Black Company, they find themselves and learn the skills of their trade. Skills learned would be unlocked via the choices they make and how they interact in the games encounters. Will they survive their terms and be free men or die on the battlefield?

Mechanically, the players start at level 1 or level 0 and earn their skills based on how they role play and choices made. Skills will be unlocked and in the beginning, and then later on XP will be rewarded for character improvement. The Window tends to be somewhat classless of a system and that is what the game will capitalize on for advancement.

The setting is grim and against the backdrop of war. Death is real and will happen around the players and perhaps the players themselves. Plot and story have the potential to be somewhat player drive based on the direction players wish to go. Certain background parts will be left vague in order to accommodate an expanding world.

Expectations

My object for this game is to create a fantasy setting similar in flavor to Pathfinder but using a lite rule set to keep focus on the role-playing and storytelling instead of game mechanics.

Here are the rules for The Window, and I will be using the Optional Rules as addressed in the conversion guide below.

Here is the current version of the Storyteller & Player’s Guide for Pathfinder using The Window

Please ask any questions here in this thread.

Who I am looking for

I am trying for players that are interested in the story and role-playing their characters, rather than just rolling dice and posting actions. I am looking for interesting characters that are interesting to interact with.

Players should also want to play their character within a group, and not try to sacrifice the fun of the game by being strictly “true” to their character or causing artificial conflict to simply spice up interest.

Experience with the Pathfinder Rules would be most helpful, but with access to the PFSRD it is not necessary. Experience with The Window is not required either; it can be learned as we go.

I am expecting players to be able to keep active with the game, ideally posting IC with quality almost 2-3 times a week at a minimum. I rarely update on weekends. If a player is going to be gone for more than a few days, I would like to be notified in advance.

Combat

1. Combat in the Window is relegated to the status of just another scene, without a whole chapter of complex rules to manage it. In most stories, combat is nothing more than a fast and exciting byline to a larger plot, and it can be handled using the same simple rules used for everything else. Simply put, it is not about dice rolling, but about writing and describing the action.

2. There is no Initiative, so effectively I will resolve actions in the order they are posted or consider them to happen simultaneously if that is more appropriate in a situation.

3. Combat in The Window uses opposed checks and on the surface it can appear that it could slow down combat resolution. However, I am going to provide some meta-game information so you will be able to self-resolve some of your actions. You will roll your offense die and the opposition’s corresponding defensive die (including an applicable Armor Checks). So you will know if an action is successful. I will resolve the opposition’s Health checks when attacks are successful.

4. When the foes take actions against your characters, I will end up rolling your defensive and Health checks to determine the success and effectiveness. Because Luck can come into play by providing a means of negating or mitigating the opposition’s success, that will be left up to the players. As a last ditch effort, you can sacrifice a rung of Luck to negate a failure (effectively achieving an auto-success on the Health or Defensive check the GM rolled). Until we are all familiar, I will try to let you know when situations occur where Luck can come into play.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Re: BC: OOC Discussion

Postby Herzog » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:08 am

reserved
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:03 am

Xenn walks into the war room and casts a glance about. Everywhere, there are notes and ideas, maps sprawled out across the large table in the rooms center.

This is where it all begins.

"This game sound intriguing..... Xenn reporting for duty."

:wink:
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:50 am

"Oi, Freshmeat!"

:mrgreen:

Welcome to the Black Company!

Let me know if you have any questions. Like any venture, there are probably things we will be winging.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:55 am

All right... I'm not at all familiar with pathfinder so I'll look over the Pathfinder for Windows link. Looks basically like 3.5 though. I'm spinning character concepts in my mind right now.

So is this like a special ops? Or are we actually cannon fodder? I'd hate to take a class that might not be good at heavy fighting if that's what we're to expect.

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:03 am

Both or Neither. The Black Company are often used as cannon fodder, but they also have the reputation of getting impossible done. So there is probably going to be a mix depending what people want.

Also, some of the encounters i have in mind are not all going to be related to the war, at least directly.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:46 am

Mercevial Xenn wrote:All right... I'm not at all familiar with pathfinder so I'll look over the Pathfinder for Windows link. Looks basically like 3.5 though. I'm spinning character concepts in my mind right now.
Yeah, Pathfinder is often considered D&D 3.75. The SRD is much better. From a conversion stand point, knowledge of D&D3.5ed would be good enough for 80-90%. Pathfinder does have some different character classes not found in 3.5ed and vice versa. I don’t see why you could not use 3.5ed unique classes and races in the conversion either.

Herzog wrote:Also, some of the encounters i have in mind are not all going to be related to the war, at least directly.
Sounds like we need some versatility. That would make sense.

Also, we are starting lighter on skills so we can diversify in game too. So even if we all start out fairly similar (except for races) we could start diverging and effectively multi-class to branch into different areas.

I have not really gotten started, but I was initially thinking a minotaur. Lends itself to a fighter type class, but could easily hybrid with some other classes. Dunno yet.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:45 am

How would the large creature size be handled in the window? Would it have any baring at all? I guess that is the only issue I could have, if it skews things too much.

There would be plenty of IC "issues" like finding armor and a horse that the Minotaur can use. Large monstrous races are a rarity in the army. Could be humorous to work out.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:15 am

Herzog wrote:How would the large creature size be handled in the window? Would it have any baring at all? I guess that is the only issue I could have, if it skews things too much.
I treated it as d20! Superpower that dropped Strength by 1 Rung and increased Agility by 1 Rung. It Unlocked Strength of d6 as well. Increasing Large to d12! added Reach to it as well. Everything else would be fluff. A Centaur would get increased speed automatically, but would not be eligible for Reach where an Ogre would have to take d12! large for reach.

Looking at the PFSRD there are only a few things a minotaur has since you can ignore Racial HD.
1. Large d12! (includes reach)
* -1 Rung Strength, +1 Rung Agility, Allows Strength to be d6
2. Secondary Attack of Gore d20! (or d12!)
3. Powerful Charge d20! (Optional or can be taken on leveling up)
* Charge does more damage and Gore Attack (using Secondary Attack or Natural Weapons whichever is better) improves 1 Rung dropping Agility 1 Rung
4. Darkvision d20! (doesn't include Low-light vision)
5. Natural Cunning d20! = Uncanny Dodge = No flat-footed = Ignored since no such thing in The Window, but allows fluff to never get lost (optional to me)
6. Natural Armor d12!
7. Speaks Giant d30

Herzog wrote:There would be plenty of IC "issues" like finding armor and a horse that the Minotaur can use. Large monstrous races are a rarity in the army. Could be humorous to work out.
Heh, minotaurs would be heavy infantry not cavalry. ;)
Army has weaponsmiths and armorers don't it?
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:30 am

Alright... I'm thinking I'm going to go for a human Alchemist... Coming up with a reason a bomb maker is up for the headsman should be easy :mrgreen:

I'll start working on fleshing this one out

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:41 pm

A Minotaur and alchemist. That will make an interesting pair to start with. The makings of a more spec ops team.

The wheels are turning :mrgreen:
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:42 am

Mercevial Xenn wrote:Alright... I'm thinking I'm going to go for a human Alchemist... Coming up with a reason a bomb maker is up for the headsman should be easy :mrgreen:

I'll start working on fleshing this one out

I did not cover Alchemist as a sample character in the Guide, but I did have an applicant in another PF conversion game look at it.
1. We called the Magic Trait “The Science of Alchemy”.
2. Spellcraft d20 would be required to cast the formula, but would not provide Cantrips (Alchemists don’t get any).
3. The Formulae Book would function just like a Wizard’s Spell Book
4. The Alchemist would have Formulae Slots (filling them from what is in Formulae Book as desired or even leaving them open)

I took a stab at the Minotaur Convict:
Minotaur | Show
Strength d8 (dropped from d10)
Agility d10 (raised from d8)
Health d10
Perception d12
Wisdom d12
Luck d20

Skills:
1. Magic Trait d10
2. Natural Weapons Skill d10
3. Large d12! (Includes reach)
* -1 Rung Strength, +1 Rung Agility, Allows Strength to be d6
4. Natural Armor d12!
5. Secondary Attack of Gore d20!
6. Powerful Charge d20!
* Charge does more damage and Gore Attack (using Secondary Attack or Natural Weapons whichever is better) improves 1 Rung dropping Agility 1 Rung
7. Darkvision d20! (doesn't include Low-light vision)
8. Melee Weapons Skill d20
Unarmed Combat (Hands) d30 Default
Ranged Weapons d30 - Default
Speaks Giant and Common

I took the Magic Trait for now because I am thinking ahead to potential make him a melee Oracle/Magus/War Priest or something. That would be too hard to take later on in game I think.

For a crime, I am pretty sure he would have gored some people to death. But he is innocent I tell you. Innocent.
It was an accident in that china shop. It was self-defense, the guy was asking for it. It was some other guy wearing a bull costume. :mrgreen:
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:31 am

Looks good so far...

Yea, Magic and such traits probably need to taken at character gen. It makes sense to have the character have that ability rather than suddenly learn it later.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Merry Mortician » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi All,

I wanted to put up a post expressing interest right away but I'm coming out the other side of illness and would need some time to read the background and research The Window. I have quite a bit of experience with PFRPG but I'd not heard of The Window before. Herzog, how soon are you looking to start?
Merry Mortician
Villager
Villager

Postby Herzog » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Welcome to the boards, Merry!

When we start really depends on when people put their characters together. Also, i've no issues starting separate threads for people as they finish up at different times.

Weekends are slow as I am out of town, so I would say you've got time.

The conversion guide is a good place to see how The Window works.

The rules lite system really boils everything down to either a check against a target number or a contested roll. The smaller the die size, the better you are at the said skill. Lower rolls are good, high rolls are bad. This simple system allows the story telling and writing to be the focus rather than the mechanics.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to The Black Company [The Window]