AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Image Image
A space opera-like setting in the far future where the human race spread out from Terra to the stars centuries ago.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Argo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:35 pm

“Yeah, Maya’s right, Rufus. Don’t give up! It could be really important later.”

Argo got up and trotted over to Rufus, and licked his cheek encouragingly.

“Maybe we’ll have more time after we finish the trial. And then we’ll have more resources too, and maybe the Ul-Mor will be able to help us find more bunkers like the one we woke up in. We still don’t know who helped us. It doesn’t seem like it was the Ul-Mor.”

He glanced over at the Ul-Mor’s camp briefly, then looked back at Rufus.

“We need every advantage we can get…or make.”
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PMiller » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:14 am

~ Day 10: 0306 - Volturnus Caverns ~Image Image
Miranda curled up getting ready to fall asleep as well. "I can take the last the fifth and last watch." She assumed that the teen-aged boy was not standing one, but she could always wake him up for another watch if necessary. She set her chronocom's alarm to go off in about eight hours.

"Though, I cannot say I miss that desert heat very much. It might not be cool down in these tunnels, but at least we are not sweating faster than we can consume water."

Alex nodded and replied, "Sure thing. No problem."

"I will wake up Rufus, then Argo, then Maya, and finally the princess over there," he added with an incorrigible grin.

Miranda retorted while she was lying there with her eyes closed, "I should make you kiss the ring and draw me a bath."

The soldier just chuckled and probably was fantasizing about Miranda taking a bath.

~ Day 14: 0700 - The Place of True Warriors ~After an uneventful rest break, the trek resumed without incident. The group had traveled another lengthy period and stopped once again. After awakening on day 11 since the castaways awoke on the planet, they could see a beam of light far ahead. The air was warm and fresh, almost overwhelming after the days of breathing the dank cavern air. Once more the group was back into the desert, having traveled safely through the Forbidden Caverns and underneath the Burning Lands.

Athru informed the group that they would make camp once more during the heat of the day and resume traveling at night when it was cooler. It would take a few more days to reach the Place of True Warriors. There the group could take part in the Ritual of Adulthood.

A few days later the tribe arrived and made camp once more in what appeared to be an unremarkable section of the desert. Athru bid you to make camp once more. He added a few more words and the polyvox translated, "We now at the place of true warriors. At next sunrise, the Ritual of Adulthood begin. You rest and prepare. We prepare." That appeared to be all the explanation forthcoming as the Ul-Mor leader turned his loper around to leave the group to themselves once again.

OOC Information | Show
Inventory in 1 Spare Backpack carried in hand by Alex
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

Polyvoxes worn: Maya, Argo, Trever
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Aura » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Rufus seemed to appreciate the support from Maya and Argo on his laser pistol recharger project before they went to bed, giving the dog a scratching behind the hears and the woman a nod of acknowledgement. "Maybe... I'll have the time to get back to it," he offered, but didn't go into a lot of detail.

Days rolling by, Rufus could be seen a couple times eying his his collection of parts up for a few moments before putting them away for the night. Sometimes he would ruffle through the group's supplies, but made no attempts to repurpose any of the items found. At one point, he pulled out his laser, popped the cover off and examined it a while before putting it back together.

Finally, the announcement from Athru came to the group, and Rufus seemed relieved. "Just a bit more waiting, I suppose...."
Aura
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LMiller » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:45 am

Trever woke up and trekked to the next location. His eyes had a hard time to adjust to the desert sun.

“Finally,” the boy said, sitting down after Athru spoke. “I hope everything will be fine.”

Trever cocked his head as the octopi went somewhere else. “What are we supposed to do to prepare? The Ul-Mor need to be more specific,” he said to Argo, assuming that the dog felt the same way.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Argo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Argo shook his head back and forth, the way he had seen humans do when they didn’t understand something.

“I don’t know, Trever. Maybe they want us to prepare mentally. To focus and be ready for the trial.”

The days had passed and seemed very long to him. There was a lot of walking. In the caverns, he hadn’t needed to wear his boots, so he had asked Trever to take them off for him, so maybe they wouldn’t wear out so fast. Walking on the hard stone made his pawpads tougher. But once they had reached the desert again, he had asked Trever to put them on once more.

He had watched alertly every night when Rufus took out his pack and looked like he might work on his project. Argo wagged his tail every time he saw Rufus do that, as if he could encourage the man by willpower alone. But as far as he could tell, Rufus hadn’t actually worked on it. But he had stared at the inside of his laser pistol for a long time, however. Maybe he was doing most of the work in his head. Humans were mysterious creatures.

“They said that the trial would begin at sunrise. That means we’ll have to do it in the full sun, when it’s really hot. We should make sure we’re ready for that.”

Argo paused, thoughtfully.

“And they said they have to prepare too. So that means they have a part to play in the rite. Not something where they tell us to go somewhere and do something on our own. They will have an active role. Otherwise they wouldn’t need to prepare.”
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Herzog » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:05 pm

After a few days travelling in the featureless desert, Maya wondered if she prefered the caves. At any rate, they had arrived at the testing place of the Ul-mor. Now it looked to be more resting and waiting. The girl felt they probably could all use the night to rest, as they had been trekking for several days now.

The girl set her mind to preparing.

"How are we on water? Think we should use some rags as headbands? Soak them in water, if we are going to be out in the sun?"

She didn't relish the idea of physical exertion in this desert heat.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:10 am

~ Day 14: 0705 - The Place of True Warriors ~Image Image
Alex consulted his chronocom to check the time and said, "Sunrise will be right before oh-six hundred, roughly an hour before the time of day it is right now. Unless this ritual takes longer than an hour we really won't have to worry too much about the heat. It is only bad after oh-seven hundred."

True enough, the heat in the desert was tolerable until about then. Everyone needed to use the emergency blankets to make temporary shade to get any rest during the day. There was some rock outcroppings to help, but the place of the camp was not in a nice oasis in a valley.

Checking the water situation, the castaways had not needed to worry about running out while with the Ul-Mor. They provided extra and there was at least 2-3 days worth left in the water bottles the group carried.

Miranda suggested, "If the trial will last longer, we should probably keep taking the salt pills... our supply of those is running out though."

The soldier nodded, "Better to be prepared and also have all our gear packed. Though, they are calling this the place of true warriors so I am guessing we are not hiking anywhere."

Miranda had a look of concern, "Do you think the name has significance for this ritual? Primitive cultures are not typically very subtle about name things."

OOC Information | Show
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Aura » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Rufus shrugged at Miranda's suggestion. "Hard to say. Perhaps the name is symbolic, lost to antiquity. Or, just as possible, it reflects a current reality. Perhaps the mettle of potential warriors is tested against some creature native to the place. I'm sure a cultural anthropologist would have a field day with these guys." Giving a sigh, he added, "I would love for this not to be in the heat of the day, but that would make things even more challenging, and that seems to be a theme. Then again, I suppose it would behoove them not to set the bar too high for fear of killing off their own population with testing."
Aura
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Herzog » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:43 am

Maya already was uncomfortable with the oppressive heat. She hoped the trial would start soon. Anything better than sitting around in the heat. Or maybe not. At least it would be distracting from the temperature.

"Indeed, " Maya joined the conversation as the group speculated what the trial was going to entail.

"If I recall, primitive cultures focused on physical attributes more than others. But then again, there could be tests of finesse and skill in this rites. This is an alien cultural after all. Best pull all our wits together."

The girl waited for the others and was anxious for the trial to begin. She had her gear packed and ready.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Argo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:38 am

Argo looked at Miranda.

“Yeah, maybe you’re right, Miranda. We’re probably going to have to fight. I hope we don’t have to fight the Ul-Mor.”

He was worried more about the Ul-Mor in that scenario than he was worried about his friends. His friends had proved themselves to be capable and clever, and they had technology on their side. But as Argo thought about it, he felt that the Ul-Mor wouldn’t do that to their younglings. It would be too harsh, and non-productive. They seemed tough, sure, but also fair.

“I’m sure we’ll be able to handle it. Let’s just stick together.”
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LMiller » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Trever was curious about the trial like his companions. To him it seemed like fighting too.

“I think it will be fighting too,” he said to the others thinking deeply.

“Maybe we’re going to fight a different creature. I don’t think the Ul-Mor are a tribe that sacrifices each other.”

The boy glanced around at Argo and nodded. “We’ll probably fight together, but what if we fight one by one?”
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby PMiller » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:16 am

~ Day 14: 0705 - The Place of True Warriors ~Image Image
Alex had a grin as he said, "Don't be such a wuss, Rufus. Sunrise ain't that hot. If the trial is a fight, it will be over before you have to worry about the heat."

"I don't care if it is against the UL-Mor or not, they don't look so tough with their spears. If they can do it, sure as grap I can. We just better hope they don't pull some mawkin' fast one by making us fight naked or without our weapons."

Miranda chided, "Do you have to be so uncouth, Al? You do know what that means, yes?"

The soldier continued to grin, "Yeah, my picture is right there next to the word in the dictionary, babe."

Ignoring the man and returning to what Argo and Trever had said, Miranda continued, "I think this will be a group ritual based upon what they have said. They are pretty big on the tribe and mentioning the one or being of the one. That speaks to teamwork and working together as being the cornerstone of their culture."

"Taking it one step further, that means the ritual probably would reflect the same importance to prove adulthood, yes? I am thinking that whatever the ritual is exactly, working together will be the most important thing."

OOC Information | Show
1 machete
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby LMiller » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Listening to Miranda, the boy nodded along.

“You’re right, Miranda. Calling themselves the one could really mean working together.”

Trever looked at the others and said, “Yep, teamwork is key to this ritual.”
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Argo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:05 pm

“I guess we’ll just have to wait and find out,” Argo said. “It won’t be long now.”

He walked around the others in circles, pausing to bump them with his head in encouragement, looking up when they looked down at him. He wagged his tail and gave them all encouraging doggy grins, licking their hands.

“I hope it’s something we can physically do.” He craned his head to look in the direction that the Ul-Mor had gone. “Their bodies are different than ours. Some things are probably easier for them. Some things are harder. I wonder if they can climb ladders. They can probably walk down stairs really easily, but their idea of what stairs are is probably really different.”

Argo could climb ladders. He had trained to do it, though it was not a natural thing for a being with his physiology to do.

Finally he sat down again.

“What do adults beings do that younglings don’t? I guess they provide food and protect others. They work and have responsibilities to their families and communities. Maybe the ritual is about being responsible.”
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Aura » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:48 pm

Rufus shrugged at the suggestion that he was somehow less than manly. "Psh. Just analysis, Alex. But if you think you'd operate more effectively in the heat of the day than otherwise, more power to you."

Switching topic, Rufus held up a finger, "Right, the trial could be about anything, or combination of things. One thing is certain--the trial itself will tells us something of what the Ul-Mor value. As we know so little about them, it may constitute our biggest cultural experience with them since we met." Grinning, he adds, "Hopefully tests that assume one has 8 arms will not be held against us. Although, at least we add up to one Ul-Mor, when it comes to that regard.
Aura
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Among the Stars [The Window]