AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Image Image
A space opera-like setting in the far future where the human race spread out from Terra to the stars centuries ago.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:40 am

~ Day 9: 0300 - Volturnus Caverns ~Image Image
Miranda gave Alex some stink eye after his urging them to hurry up and follow the natives. While he was right, she was not happy about his bedside manner… or lack of one. She walked on past him with haughty expression and nose in the air. Reaching the other woman she walked alongside and commented to Maya, “He is just jealous because he would rather we were stroking his ego…”

“Or something else,” she added in a low voice.

Alex appeared to pay no attention and brought up the rear guard again with Rufus. After a few moments he muttered to the man beside him, “Women. Am I right?”

The Ul-mor continued the trek and the castaways were able to close back up and stay with them through the next chambers.

Several hours passed and soon it was time to make camp in a large circular cavern. As usual, the Ul-Mor maintained segregation for those not part of the One yet.

OOC Information | Show
Inventory in 1 Spare Backpack carried in hand by Alex
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

Polyvoxes worn: Maya, Argo, Trever
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby LMiller » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Trever kept walking after the Ul-Mor with Argo. He drank some water as he walked.

When they reached the circular cavern, the boy said, “Okay, so I guess it’s time to rest.”

He gestured for Argo to come with him and check out the cavern.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Argo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:19 am

“Yeah, resting will be good. We had a busy day.”

Argo thought about the flood of creatures that had overrun the tunnels, and then the gauntlet they’d run through the explosions. It had been quite the journey. He wondered if the Ul-Mor were deliberately taking the dangerous path, or if this was actually the easier path.

He looked up at Trever and wagged his tail, then walked at his side as they explored the circular cavern, looking for a good place to camp that would be far enough away from the Ul-Mor. Argo sniffed the ground, searching for interesting scents.

“We did good today, didn’t we? We followed them like they said and no one got badly hurt.”

Last edited by Argo on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Herzog » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 am

Maya flopped down on the ground, resting on her butt, and with her knees up and leaning back on her arms. THe day had been tiring with the stampeded, followed by the exploding fissures. Luckily, nothing else of note happened, other than trying to keep up with the Ul-Mor. The girl had hoped they would camp in the caves, but it was what it was.

"Think they will provide food like they did above the surface?"

The purple haired girl was not quite ready to get up and start rummaging through her pack.

"Wonder how we can have a fire."
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Aura » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:53 pm

With a bit of a grin, as much as he ever seems to produce, Rufus delivers a mock punch to Alex's arm in response to the comment about women. With a shrug, he answers, "It is what it is. Then again, none of us are quite like you, Alex."

For the most part, Rufus seems a bit happy to call it a day. The walking seemed to have settled him down a bit and the general exhaustion of a long day of walking kicked in. Addressing Argo, he speaks, "Overall, I think we did alright. Trevor gave us a bit of a worry there, but all seems well now. Tough kid, I guess." The technician gives Trevor a nod that borders on respectful. "One thing is for sure. The Ul-Mor are very serious about this business, aren't they? It's a tough world to grow up on, that is for sure."
Aura
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby PMiller » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:39 am

~ Day 9: 0305 - Volturnus Caverns ~Exploringthe large cavern revealed a number of smells. There was the sulfuric smell that was permeating the entire cavern complex, likely because of the exposure to exploding fissures with lava and molten rock. The dog did detect similar smells of the shovelmouths too, but not strong enough to believe they had a lair nearby, only that such creatures had passed through the cavern.

Image Image
Miranda and Alex agreed with the praise of the boy, each in there own way. Miranda smiled and placed a slender hand on his arm with some affection. "Certainly, you are brave and coping well considering."

Alex shrugged, "Way to mawkin' soldier on, little man." He slapped him on the back like a comrade in arms, but not exactly a gushing praise or expression on his face.

Miranda commented on Rufus's words, "I imagine that more primitive cultures are used to a harsher world and higher mortality rates. Not that they are jaded about it, just that it happens and they have accepted the living conditions since they know nothing better like we do in the modern worlds."

The soldier grunted, "Gnuh, so they are used to danger and killing."

The Ul-Mor had provided rations previously, so the group still had plenty of food to last until... hopefully until the group arrived at the destination. Or at least until the next time they were issuing new supplies.

OOC Information | Show
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:53 am

"Right, good job Trevor."

Maya jumped on the praise bandwagon. In fact, she was of the opinion they all dead well. No one got trampled or burned badly, and they didn't get lost in the caves.

"We all did well."

Then the girl's stomach growled, reminding her that she had yet to eat.

"So our rations for dinner?"

Maya began to rummage through her pack.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby LMiller » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Trever grinned when everyone gave him a compliment. He never felt like this for a long time.

“Thanks guys, but don’t just compliment me. Everyone did a spectacular job today!”

Then, he sat down next to Argo and looked through his pack to find some rations to eat.

“Want some, Argo?” he asked, chewing on a half-eaten protein bar.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Argo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:45 am

“Yes! I’m hungry.”

Argo wagged his tail hard and licked his chops. He sat down in front of Trever, eyes bright and shining. His pink tongue lolled out and he licked his mouth over and over again just thinking about food.

“Thank you, Trever.”

He didn’t have hands to open a wrapper, or even to open a pack where the food was being kept, so he was really glad the boy had offered. Argo opened his mouth, ready to eat the entire bar in one chomp.

“The air here smells funny but I don’t think it’s going to make us sick unless we stay here for a really long time. We should be able to eat and sleep here with no problems. Are we going to have some of us always be awake and watching, like before?”
Last edited by Argo on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PMiller » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:33 pm

~ Day 9: 0306 - Volturnus Caverns ~Image Image

Alex was sort of standing guard already, munching on a ration pack while still on he feet while everyone else was starting to lounge around for the rest period. "Yeah, it's probably a good idea to set a watch. If nothing else than to make sure the squids don't leave us behind while we sleep."

Miranda had sat next to Trever and Argo. Her tone betrayed her disapproval, "Not squids, octopi. But that is not very respectful either, the way you are using it."

The soldier shrugged, "Whatever you say, sweetheart. They look like sea creatures to me."

Miranda shook her head, giving up on trying to change the soldier. She muttered something under breathe but only a few words were understood by Trever and Argo, "... uncouth... stubborn.."

Alex ignored the woman and continued, "I can take the first watch. Since we don't know how long this break is... my guess it will be at least eight to ten hours judging by what we have done in the past. We should be able to each take two hour swifts and all get some decent sleep."

Looking over towards the Ul-Mor, they were indeed making preparations for a longer stay than just a brief rest break. Several were already dismounted.

OOC Information | Show
1 machete
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby LMiller » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Trever giggled when he heard Miranda talk bad about the soldier.

Then he took a blanket a blanket that was used for making leantos and spread it out, “Well,” the boy said. “I’m going to get some sleep since I’m pretty tired.”

He laid down and went to sleep instantly.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Aura » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:33 pm

Rufus sighed notably as Alex and Miranda sparred. "Squid or Octopi, I think can identify with this point--we want to keep alert and ready to move. Keep as much stuff in your packs as you can, people, so can go quickly if need be. Two hour watches seem fine to me. Alex, give me a nudge when you're done and I'll take over from there." With that, the man seemed to busy himself with settling down for some dinner and then some rest. He seemed content to sort through the things in his pack, eyes furrowing as he looked at his collection of parts he'd organized for the purpose of recharging a laser pack, shaking his head and putting it all away. "Fool idea if there ever was one," he muttered.
Aura
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby Argo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:05 am

Argo turned in circles a few times and pawed at the hard ground before settling down. He didn’t tuck his head to his tail immediately though, and stayed awake, listening to the conversation.

“You guys can wake me up too, when it’s my turn.”

He knew he had an advantage over the humans in that department; it didn’t bother him to sleep in short periods. Humans tended to like to get all their sleep in one segment.

He watched what Rufus was doing with bright eyes, but he didn’t quite understand what the human meant.

“What idea, Rufus? What’s wrong?”
Last edited by Argo on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Aura » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Questioned by Argo, Rufus shrugged. "The idea of charging lasers using a kit-bashed solar collector might be possible, but definitely not in a near forced march. It's debatable whether it would work at all. Maybe I just did it to keep my mind focused. I don't know." Casting another glance towards the Ul-Mor encampment, he added, "I wonder how much further?"
Aura
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby Herzog » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:44 am

Maya gnawed on some rations as every one settled down. She had a spot near Trevor and Rufus. The girl had shifted her pack around to use a makeshift backrest or pillow.

"Wake me when it's my turn, too." she said to Alex and the others. The purple haired girl didn't relish the idea of being woke in the middle of the night. But it was necessary. The Ul-mor could leave them in the middle of the night or something could attack or stampeded through.

On the conversation with Rufus about the battery charger, Maya said encouraging.

"Don't give up on it so quickly. I think it will definitely be useful to have something. We may not be able to find any more charge packs for the pistols."

"Hopefully not too much further. I don't like not being able to see the sun."
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Among the Stars [The Window]