AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Image Image
A space opera-like setting in the far future where the human race spread out from Terra to the stars centuries ago.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Herzog » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:17 am

Maya glanced around with worry as the sounds came closer and closer. Then it suddenly crashed into the cavern as a heard of native wild animals stampeded into the room. The girl sucked in her breath and tried to tuck in tighter as the shovel mouthed reptile looking creatures ran all around the group. But she didn't tuck in tight enough.

The girl gasped as her shoulder was clipped by one of the beasts. It made her fall over and exposed. Maya quickly curled into a fetal position, tucking her arms protectively over her head as the stampeded continued. It would be the longest 30 seconds of her life. Luckily, she wasn't trampled.


rolls | Show
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=11590279#post11590279
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby LMiller » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:23 am

Trever was close to Miranda the whole time, gasping at the stampede of lizard-like creatures. He got pretty scared when one came really close to him, so he closed his eyes tight, praying that he wouldn’t get trampled.

He opened his eyes, realizing that he was fine.

"Whew, that was close," the boy said relieved, "Man, that lizard came really close to me. I really thought I was going to get trampled."

Trever stood up and looked around at the others, noticing that Maya got clipped a little. He jogged over and checked.

"That was close, Maya. Good thing we didn’t get hurt." The boy smiled and walked over to Argo.
Rolls
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Argo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:25 am

Argo raised his head. His eyes were ringed with white, and he panted, more out of sheer nerves than being overheated. He lay there for several seconds before he realized he really was okay, and that nothing bad had happened to him. He hadn’t even seen what had rushed past them, but that was okay because now they were gone.

He stood up and shook himself vigorously, then looked over at Trever.

“I’m okay, Trever. Are you okay?”

He poked his nose into Trever’s hand and licked it.

“We should check on Maya and Rufus and Miranda. And where did Al go? It all happened so fast.”

spoiler: show
User avatar
Argo
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:56 pm

~ Day 8: 1801 - Volturnus Caverns ~Image Image
Miranda had also proved lucky to not have been bumped by the stampeding creatures while hugging Trever. She felt relief when the herd had passed by and the boy wriggled out from her grasp to check on Maya and Argo. She stood and brushed off the dust from her cloths and hands. She glanced around for the soldier and saw him braced against the cavern wall about a meter off the floor, using a stalagmite.

The soldier hopped back down and sauntered over, looking rather smug with himself. He commented, "Those were interesting looking lizards."

Miranda glanced over everyone and said, "It looks like we are all okay." No one appeared to have been trampled.

Image
The shovelmouths had not slowed after passing the group, racing on down the tunnel and then veering into a side passage.

Image
The Ul-Mor began moving their mounts apart from each other once more and the vanguard began resuming the trek forward. There was little talk or commands among them, at least nothing translated by the polyvox.

Arthu had wheeled his loper around and peered down. The polyvox translated, "It is good that you can walk, not broken." If the native leader was happy, it was hard to tell from the monotone voice of the translator device.


Stampede | Show
No one was hurt


OOC Information | Show
Inventory in 1 Spare Backpack carried in hand by Alex
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

Polyvoxes worn: Maya, Argo, Trever
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12140
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Aura » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:09 pm

After a little checking himself over, Rufus relaxed a bit and sheathed his laser, unused, yet again. Already starting to resume his walk, trailing after the Ul'Mor, a little smile cracked his normally serious composure, "Well, no harm done there, I think. Nothing like a little near-trampling to get the 'ol blood pumping." Looking over at the Ul'Mor, he surmised, "I'm guessing those lizards are not uncommon, as the Ul'Mor knew exactly what to do and don't seem very excited by the encounter. Following their lead seems to be a good idea, although I was worried we would not be as good an obstacle without large loper mounts as they could present. But, all is well."

Soon enough, some sort of rogue thought seemed to sour the technician's expression to his typically serious appearance. He tapped his temple lightly with a forefinger and kept walking.
User avatar
Aura
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby LMiller » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:33 am

Trever patted the dog on his head, and then knelt down to stroke his fur.

“Let’s follow the Ul-Mor again,” the boy said to the dog. “Although, I am curious about where those shovelmouthes are going.”

Trever stood up and motioned Argo to follow him, resuming their trek underground following the Ul-Mor.
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Herzog » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:25 am

Maya stood shakily from her fetal position. The stampede was over, and she survived without being hurt. No one else did for that matter. The experience did get her adrenaline pumping that was for sure as Rufus said.

"Right, wonder what spooked them to stampede to begin with. Hope we are not walking into something worse."

Maya took her place in following the Ul-mor as they resumed their trek through the cavern.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Argo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:34 am

“They must know the caves too. Or maybe not. Maybe they’re just afraid of something and…”

Argo trailed off, looking up at Trever with concern in his soft brown eyes as they walked side by side. Then he looked back at Maya.

“Right, Maya. I wonder what they were running from. Maybe there’s something bad up ahead.”

He shook himself again, his various bits of gear rustling against his fur.

“I guess we’ll find out. I’m glad everyone is okay, though.”
User avatar
Argo
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:12 pm

~ Day 8: 1805 - Volturnus Caverns ~Image Image
Alex looked back towards where the shovelmouthes disappeared and walked backwards a few steps as he brought up the rear. He looked used to doing things that way. "I walk trail again. Move on out."

Miranda fell in just before Alex in the rear, thoughtful about the creatures and the potential dangers that might lie ahead that could have spooked the creatures.

Image
Arthu replied to the translated words, not really aware that Argo, Maya, and Trever had not actually been speaking to him since the polyvox did not consider body language. "The shovelmouthes normally docile. Beware of danger ahead. The One will guide the way."

He trotted his loper to catch up and rejoined the rest of the Ul-Mor up ahead as their column was picking up the pace slightly.

After a few minutes the cause of the shovelmouth stampede presented itself.

As the group rounded a bend in the corridor to bring the main party of mounter Ul-Mor back into view, there was an explosion. They could see a sudden burst of light about 300 meters ahead, causing the native ahead to be silhouetted. Ten seconds later, another explosion followed. Standing there watching, several more explosions occurred at random intervals. The bursts of light illuminated a circular room 500 meters or more in diameter. There was the stench of brimstone and sulfur in the air.

The Ul-Mor were not deterred and the lead lopers were sent trotting forward to hasten their exposure in the passage.


Explosive Fissures | Show
More dice rolling ahead! :mrgreen:

What to roll will depend on how you want to cross the chamber.


OOC Information | Show
Inventory in 1 Spare Backpack carried in hand by Alex
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

Polyvoxes worn: Maya, Argo, Trever
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12140
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby LMiller » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:12 am

Resuming the trek, Trever kept on walking with the othres, Argo at his side. He kept walking until the sudden explosion hit.

“What the heck!?” the boy shouted after the first explosion. Trever thought about it.

As the second explosion hit, he shouted, “The pirates! It could be the pirates! Could they have found us?”
User avatar
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Argo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:08 pm

Argo jumped, eyes wide. The explosions were loud and percussive. He felt them straight through his paws to the tip of his tail. They made his teeth rattle.

“Maybe it’s not us they are shooting at!” he said, urgently. “Maybe they’re hurting someone else.”

He didn’t know how the pirates could get ahead of them, if it was the pirates. It had to be unconnected, Argo thought. But it was also bad. He didn’t think those explosions could be benign in any way.

The Ul-Mor were rushing to get out of the tunnel. It seemed bad to be trapped there.

“Hey, you guys, let’s hurry!”
User avatar
Argo
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Aura » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:01 pm

Thinking a moment, Rufus had another idea. "Might be a fight," he begins, punctuating his words carefully, "Or it might be digging, blasting, mining... perhaps the pirates suspect something to be here. There has to be a reason they are on this planet in the first place--this might be it. There is also the off chance it is natural, but something tells me, judging from the Ul'Mor's reaction, this is not the case."

Turning an analytical eye towards the explosions once again, Rufus took in the sulfurous smoke. "If there are people involved, the noise will make it easy to eavesdrop on them, but the blasts do provide momentary lighting into the gloom. I would think if any of them got between us and an explosion, they would be backlit and easy to see. We will not want to put ourselves into a similar situation, by staying along the cave all. Do the Ul'Mor plan to cross the cave? We should ask."
User avatar
Aura
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:48 am

~ Day 8: 1805 - Volturnus Caverns ~Image Image
Miranda and Alex brought up the rear and closed into a tight group as the exploding fissures caused some hesitation in crossing the cavern chamber. Alex was looking carefully his laser pistol in hand, “Where are these mawkin’ pirates? I don’t see ‘em.”

Miranda said, “Maybe it is natural. We did see something like this on the horizon in the desert before we ever met the Ul-Mor.

Image

While the castaways hesitated a moment to discuss, they remained safe in the wide tunnel. The explosions were in the large, circular cavern. The entire group of the Ul-Mor on lopers were heading straight across the middle, taking the shortest distance across to the exit on the opposite side. Trying to talk to them at that point would require sprinting after them to catch up in the middle of the cavern.

The explosions were scattered throughout the chamber without any discernible pattern.


Explosive Fissures | Show
To run across the chamber is 1d20 to beat TN10

If failed, then Roll Agility vs. TN4 to avoid getting hit by explosion.

If hit by explosion, then Roll Health vs. TN6 to resist getting hurt and losing 1 rung of health.

Reminder, if you fail the Health check, you can roll Luck against the TN4 as well to see if you got lucky and missed by the explosion after all.


OOC Information | Show
Inventory in 1 Spare Backpack carried in hand by Alex
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

Polyvoxes worn: Maya, Argo, Trever
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12140
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Herzog » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:20 am

Maya flinched at the first explosion. Like the others, her first thought was pirates or something artificial. But the Ul-mor's reaction made her think otherwise. THe aliens seemed to be expecting the noise and light, and continued onto the cavern. Albeit they were moving at a quick pace.

"Well, the Ul-mor don't seem to be waiting around. The explosions or whatever seem to be random. Maybe we should just sprint across the cavern and hope for the best?"
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Aura » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:28 pm

Seeing the Ul-Mor head into the cavern apparently unfazed, Rufus raised an eyebrow. "Then again... maybe I misread the situation and the seemingly less likely scenario is true. Well, no need to sneak around and look for pirates, then. I imagine the Ul-Mor fully expect us to keep up and take care of ourselves, so we may as well get moving and pick up the pace to minimize danger. Alex looks strongest, we might need you in back in case anyone gets hit and needs assistance. Other ideas?" Mentally girding himself for the ordeal, Rufus started taking deep breaths and walking faster.
User avatar
Aura
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Among the Stars [The Window]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron