AtS OOC Discussion

Image Image
A space opera-like setting in the far future where the human race spread out from Terra to the stars centuries ago.

Moderator: PMiller

AtS OOC Discussion

Postby PMiller » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:44 pm

The Blurb:
A space opera-like setting in the far future where the human race spread out from Terra to the stars centuries ago. The galaxy has advanced technology and a variety of space faring species amidst the various worlds inhabited. Other races intermingled in the intergalactic society to co-exist on the known worlds in just the small part of the mostly unexplored galaxy. These are adventures AMONG THE STARS.

Notes:
- The Window, using the optional rules for XP, Armor, Luck, possibly Magic, and later on Wealth.
- Source Material potentially used: d20 Future, Star Frontiers, BattleTech, ShadowRun, & maybe some more
- House Rules for how to use things will be developed as needed.

Character Generation: - EDITED
Traits: 6 x d20 (covers Luck), then spend 32XP to spend improving the traits.
- Can drop a trait to d30 to gain 2 more XP. Leftover XP can be allocated to traits for future improvement (need to be recorded).
- Magic can be taken as a Trait, but it is selected from allocation of Skills
Skills: 7 x d20, then spend 28XP to improve the skills.
- Can drop a skill to d30 to gain 2 more XP. Leftover XP can be allocated to skills for future improvement (need to be recorded).
- Reduced number at start reflects amnesia. More will be quickly gained later as memory returns, but players should not select them until understanding more about what might be needed,
Fluff: Appearance (with avatar picture to use with IMGSet), Personality, Concept (2-3 sentence only), Background (should be minimal to reflect amnesia, thus allowing flexibility to explain skills gained when memory returns.

General List of Common Skills | Show
Acrobatics
Animal Husbandry/Riding
Artisan (Specific only)
Athletics (Jumping, Swimming, Climbing)
Biotech (Cybernetics, First Aid, Medicine)
Computer (Data Search, Sensors, Software/Hardware, Communications, Interstellar Navigation)
Deception (Bluff, Disguise)
Demolitions
Diving
Escape Artist
Knowledge (Specific only)
Languages/Linguistics
Mechanics (Repair, Lockpicking, Engineering)
Outdoors (Planetary Navigation, Survival, Tracking)
Parachuting/Hang-gliding
Persuasion (Diplomacy, Leadership, Negotiation)
Piloting (Aerospace, Battle Mech, Ground, Watercraft)
Stealth (Infiltration, Sleight of Hand, Shadowing)

Combat Skills | Show
Archery
Energy Weapons, Personal
Exotic Melee Weapons (Specific only)
Exotic Ranged Weapons (Specific only)
Gunnery (Aerospace, Battle Mech, Vehicular)
Heavy Weapons, Personal
Melee Weapons
Projectile Weapons
Starship Weapons
Throwing Weapons
Unarmed Combat

Armor Proficiency

Game Start:
PCs will each start dressed only in a simple linen hospital gown in a small room with a single door. They will remember their name and perhaps some of their childhood. They will not know where they are or how they got there. In fact they can remember nothing much of the last couple of years except vague impressions.

This thread is to discuss characters.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Re: AtS Character Discussion

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello everyone!

Very neat premise, Admin-PMIller!

I was just wondering if we should discuss our concepts here openly, or if we should keep that more private between us and the GM. If we should go into it knowing nothing of each other.
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby DM Bot » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Are we restricted in race at all?
DM Bot

Postby PMiller » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Phaeral Oeri wrote:I was just wondering if we should discuss our concepts here openly, or if we should keep that more private between us and the GM. If we should go into it knowing nothing of each other.

The backgrounds could be more secret, I think. Particularly since those will come later once we get started and you will not be revealing them until you decide to do so. If you are thinking to have surprise or secret, do not put it into your concept.

However the intent is to not reveal them now because I don't think we need them. They will provide RPing fodder later.

Re: Race. No restrictions. You can even use Star Wars and Star Trek for them, or make it up. If you have a special feature, like darkvision or flight, then it will take up a Skill selection.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:44 am

So, should we send the concepts to you? I know you said we could keep background a secret, but does that mean overall concepts are kept to ourselves?

I have a couple of ideas floating around, one would be using the magic trait.

What about psonics? Should we use d20 or PF as a source for that?
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Concepts are meant to be shared so you all know what you are each doing. The amnesia is more to leave openings to expand skills later without developing an ability newly learned through XP, accelerate starting up, and let you discover the game setting as I develop it(read make it all up). My intent is not have a bunch of secrets from each other. I have not decided yet to have one character thread or individual threads, but this thread is to discuss and share.

Psionics can be from either source, or just completely made up. I will treat like magic by a different name (Willpower perhaps). I did complete a bunch of PF conversions yesterday and spells and such are really just Superpower type skills. I will only need to define them in The Windows's terms, so it will all work out in the end.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:36 pm

I am actually thinking something along the lines of the siren's from Borderlands. Kinda of a cross between a magic user and psonics...

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Siren
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Sounds fine. All the more reason for bad guys to want to dissect her. :mrgreen:
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby DM Bot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Could you define the level of technology a little more? Maybe even just give us a "Progress Level" from the d20 Future rules. I'm having some trouble pinning down an idea without any understanding of the limitations of the world this character will exist in.
DM Bot

Postby PMiller » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:26 pm

DM Bot wrote:Could you define the level of technology a little more? Maybe even just give us a "Progress Level" from the d20 Future rules. I'm having some trouble pinning down an idea without any understanding of the limitations of the world this character will exist in.

I have Interstellar travel worked out, but nothing else yet.

Since I am thinking BatteTech and ShadowRun, that sort of puts it at a certain level. I don't want to define it more than that because some worlds will be lower tech mixed with higher tech.

Edit: The tech level should not define the character though. If you need a specific skill based on tech level, you can pick up later.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:16 pm

I came up with a variation of character generation that is more like point buying:

Traits: 6 x d20 (covers Luck), then spend 32XP to spend improving the traits.
- Can drop a trait to d30 to gain 2 more XP. Leftover XP can be allocated to traits for future improvement (need to be recorded).
- Magic can be taken as a Trait, but it is selected from allocation of Skills
Skills: 7 x d20, then spend 28XP to improve the skills.
- Can drop a skill to d30 to gain 2 more XP. Leftover XP can be allocated to traits for future improvement (need to be recorded).

See the Optional Section on XP to see how much XP it costs to lower skills/traits
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Joph » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:49 pm

Hey all. I haven't been around too much but hoping to discuss some ideas later tonight or tomorrow at latest.
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby DM Bot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm not really sure what I want to do, what are other people thinking? The revision to character creation certainly changes things, or at least the reduced power level changes how I had viewed our characters
DM Bot

Postby Herzog » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:43 pm

I had a neat idea for one....but not sure how it will work out...
basically taking the borderlands siren concept, and using the phasing abilities (scroll down to abilities). The twist was also throw in a bit of Time Lord. Since phasing seems to be slipping into or pulling from another dimension, then i figure slipping into time streams temporally could be interesting. I'm not talking about full blown time hopping (except maybe in extreme plot point type of things), but rather like temporally being able to see in the future (improved dodge, or star wars feeling the force), or speeding up time (ie haste).

All of the abilities could would like how P has defined magic in his PF conversion, and the guided skill/trait be called willpower instead of magic.

It would also make interesting backstory. Perhaps too much time travel has made the character a bit of amnesiac. Or even a bit insane. Or Both. Or something along those lines. Perhaps did some heinous crime in the past, but don't know what it is and people want the character dead. Or the government is after the character. i dunno...

Anyway, that's kinda of where i am heading...
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby DM Bot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:50 pm

I almost feel like playing a sort of space marine from the WH40K universe. Fanatically loyal, genetically modified super-soldier anybody?
DM Bot

Next

Return to Among the Stars [The Window]