AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Image Image
A space opera-like setting in the far future where the human race spread out from Terra to the stars centuries ago.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:28 pm

~ Day 20 - 16:32 - Arriving at the other tribe ~Image Image Image
Miranda and Alex dismounted upon arrival in the village of the Ul-Mor tribe and joined Trever and May as they approached the two obvious off-worlders. Alex remarked in a low voice, “That one, the human, looks like a military man. I can tell… not sure how, but I know.”

Miranda glanced at him and shrugged. She figures misogynistic soldiers could probably smell their own kind like dogs. She added her own introduction, “I am Miranda.”

Image Image
The human approached and commented to his own companion loud enough to be heard, “They don’t look like pirates.”

“Welcome to Volturnus, then. I am Commander Louis Jameson and this is my fellow castaway, Grod. We have been here for months, and outside of the Red Devils, you are the first we have seen that are not natives.”

“How came you to be here?”

OOC Information | Show
Inventory in 1 Spare Backpack carried by Alex
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

Polyvoxes worn: Maya, Argo, Trever
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Aura » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:06 am

"Nice to meet you, both," Rufus leads, his tone rather casual despite the occasion. "I'm Rufus... Rufus Shaintar. I think we've run into these pirates you mention, although we haven't used the name you do, Red Devils. Hmmm, sounds as good as any." With that, the engineer thinks a moment, providing pause to his words, before continuing, "As for us, well, we're still trying to piece together all that happened to get us here, actually. Given the timing, could very well be from the same incident, but maybe not. What we are certain of is we ended up in the middle of the desert, and ran into the pirates and then the Ul-Mor. I would not be surprised the pirates are key to everything. We spent our time trying to avoid contact them after the initial incident, where they began shooting from the start before withdrawing on their helicopter-like vehicle.

"The Ul-Mor," Rufus shifts conversation to a new subject, and continues, "the Ul-Mor have been, despite somewhat ferocious appearances, rather good natured in dealing with us. And, actually, being all but lost in the desert, we needed the help. They've even been so good as to help us with our little expedition to find you two. And, so, just you two? Somehow I pictured finding a large group, but that was just an impression."
Aura
Hero
Hero

Postby Herzog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:02 am

"Volturnus? hmmm, " Maya said to herself. That was the name of the planet the group had crashed on according to this Command Jameson. The girl tried to think if the planet rang a bell with spotty memory.

Then she shoke her head slightly and focused on the two other castaways. Now that is was pointed out, Commander Louis Jameson did look like he carried himself in a way that soldiers did. The man reminder Maya of Alex in ways. She figured the soldier and commander should get along in the given circumstances. Grod on the other hand, the purple haired girl could lay a finger on as far as demeanor.

"Right, as Rufus has said, we are in similar straights, having had an encounter with these Red Devil's and their flyer. They certainly were not friendly to us. And we're not exactly sure how we came about, other than waking up in the middle of the desert..."

The girl looked to the others to see how much of their troublesome beginnings they needed to share off the bat.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Argo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Argo approached the new beings slowly, letting the others speak first. He wasn’t quite sure what to make of them. A human, and another humanoid with very different skin and no fur. It had five limbs instead of the four that he and the humans had, though three seemed to be devoted to walking and the other two to manipulating objects. The humanoid’s race was ‘dralasite’, he recalled. It struck him that humans tended to define things on their own terms. There were humans, and any other people were aliens. If the aliens were somewhat close to being like humans, they were ‘humanoid’. If not, they were defined by the closest human equivalent, like how the Ul-Mor were described as ‘octopus-like’.

He thought that was interesting. Of course, his own thinking was very similar; because he had been raised by humans and worked amongst them, he saw things by human terms too.

That was neither here nor there, but he filed it away as a matter of interest. For now, his companions were speaking to the newcomers. Argo wasn’t sure what to make of them, but he noted with interest that the human that Al had called a military man had indeed introduced himself with a title. Commander. That was a high rank, one that meant he could order others around. It also meant that he belonged to some kind of an organization.

He had spoken to his companion in their mutual language, but this Grod had not replied, nor had spoken to them himself. Perhaps he could understand Terran but not speak it, like sidekicks in stories Argo knew he had watched but couldn’t recall the details now. For his part, Jameson had a slightly unusual diction that was different than Argo or his companions, which might have meant he was from a different place, or learned Terran as a second language. It was hard to tell from such a small sample size.

Argo hoped the upshot of it all was that these new people could be trusted; perhaps having a mutual enemy in the pirates was a good sign, if he was to take Jameson’s comment to mean just that.

He sniffed at both beings, wondering if he would find their scents familiar.

“My name is Argo,” he supplied, because it was polite. “How about you two? How did you come to be here?”
Last edited by Argo on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argo
Hero
Hero

Postby PMiller » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:38 am

~ Day 20 - 16:36 - Meeting the other expedition ~Image Image Image Image
Miranda smiled in greeting and introduced herself. “I am Miranda.” She had not recalled what her last name might be, odd that she had not recalled it yet. But perhaps she had not had one. “And he is Trever. We all suffered some amnesia, possibly from our life pod crash in the desert. It was from the Serena Dawn.”

Alex stepped forwards and offered a hand, “You can call me Al, Commander… and Grod,” he acknowledged shaking both of the other castaway’s hands. “Yeah, we woke up in some underground complex that was meant for bigger beings than humans. We all, except for the kid that is, part of a mission to come here… except we are rather unsure of the details any—”

His voice abruptly stopped as some memories came flooding back. He was not alone as fragments came back to everyone during the conversation.

The group had been a follow-on mission to Volturnus after the initial expedition led by Commander Jameson had been unheard from for over three months. Before leaving Truane’s Star, no one had known what happened to him or the rest of the expedition. They had disappeared as soon as they entered the Zebulon system (the name of the star system Volturnus was orbiting). Finding out was a secondary mission and the group was to locate and rescue any survivors if possible.

The primary mission was to carry out a preliminary exploration of the planet, mapping as much as possible. The government of Truane's Star was especially interested in contacting and studying any intelligent races living on the planet, making friendly contact and learning as much about them as possible.

Grod petted the dog and answered around a short, stubby piece of root or wood that he was chewing the end on that was looked almost like a an unlit cigar, "Nice ta meet ya."

Jameson continued, "We suffered a similar situation. Our starship was attacked by these Red Devil pirates as soon as we entered the system. Grod and I managed to fight our way to a life pod and escaped. The rest of our team and the crew did not make it... likely dead."

"We were luck enough to land the life pod done here on the planet, but the pirates attacked and destroyed it afterwards. After evading a few pirate search patrols we eventually found these Ul-mor. They accepted us into their tribe and we have been hiding out with them ever since. It has been rather rustic as what little equipment we had has worn out and useless."

"However, we were able to recover some parts to potentially juryrig a subspace radio, but we are missing a few vital components to get it working."

Grod added, "An' we don't have da tools neither."

OOC Information | Show
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Aura » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:09 pm

With turn of conversation away from introductions and towards current situation, Rufus raises an eyebrow with the mention of a subspace radio. "Considering the pirates depend on outsiders not knowing what's going on, the idea of building a radio... could be a game changer. Well, assuming it can be made to work, and with sufficient power. Location of transmitter may be an issue, as well. And, well, being careful about any jamming or tracking attempts." The technician pauses a moment, and scratches his whiskers a bit. "We have some things that might help, but not much. I have a modicum of tools that I use. Perhaps if we came together on this we would be a lot closer. Any remaining parts or tools, there seems to be two sources. First, the pirates, themselves. Second, whatever other species it is that has some level of technology on this world. We didn't meet any of them, but I'm guessing it is considerable." Upon finishing, Rufus looks to others to add ideas and comments.
Aura
Hero
Hero

Postby Argo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:40 am

Argo was quiet while he listened to the others talked. A flood of memories had come back to him, and it took him a while to mull over them. Part of what he remembered felt like it had happened to someone else, like a half-remembered story someone had told him years before. But at the same time, it also felt right. He knew he had been sent because he was good at finding people.

He wagged his tail as Grod petted him.

“I’m glad we found you,” he said. “You have good information.”

He worried for a few moments about the rest of Jameson and Grod’s crew. Could it be that they had survived as well? Argo thought it was possible, maybe even likely. But Jameson seemed to think not. Argo wondered if they should have a look for them before focusing on ways to get off the planet.

He turned to Jameson and Grod, then glanced toward his friends, to include everyone in the conversation.

“The pirates seem impulsive to me. Like if they saw an opportunity, they would act immediately rather than waiting for backup. I wonder if we can stage an ambush. Find a place where ambushers can hide and then set a trap. It would have to be somewhere that their jetcopter would fly over without being too close to their base though. I guess that’s information we don’t have. But if we did manage to ambush them, we could take their tools and maybe even their jetcopter.”

Argo looked at Jameson.

“Could we get a list of what we need? Another idea is to find the pirates’ base and sneak in there and steal the things without having to fight them.”
Argo
Hero
Hero

Postby Herzog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:14 am

Maya stood quiet and blinked as fragments of memories came back. Recent memories. The briefing of their mission and the departure. Snippets of conversations from the mess hall. Studying reports. The attack. Then darkness.

The purple haired girl opened her eyes and looked around. It seems the others were remembering bits and pieces of the the mission as well. Already, the visit this Ul-mor tribe was worth.

"Indeed" Maya agree with Argo. Just unlocking more memories has been a blessing.

"You could be on to something. With Commander Jameson and Grod, we likely are on even footing with a jetcopter crew in terms of headcount. Maybe even outnumber. Though weapons we might be lacking a bit...but this idea could be worked into a plan."

"Maybe we can ask if there are any other wrecks or debris around here...the Ul-mor might know and that could be a source of parts or tools."
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Aura » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Rufus furrows his eyebrows, thinking out loud. "Hmmm, I see the need to think more broadly than the jetcopter crew. Maybe we could beat that specific group, should we run into them again. But, more broadly, we have to address what the pirates can bring to bear, and how quickly. We just don't know enough. And, I get the feeling we're going to have to get things taken care of, one way or another."
Aura
Hero
Hero

Postby LMiller » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Trever nodded as he thought through his own memry f the crash landing, but couldn't really get anything. The only parts he remembered were him sneaking on board the cargo ship.

"So they were space pirates after all,"Trever said in a louder voice. He knew that the group had to fight them on Volturnus at some point.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby PMiller » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:05 pm

~ Day 20 - 16:40 - Meeting the other expedition ~Image Image Image Image
Alex nodded and crushed a fist into his other palm with a smacking sound. "Yeah, talking the fight to the pirates sounds like a great idea. I'd love to know where they are camped and catch them in the crapper with their pants around their ankles, if you know what I mean."

Grod chuckled, "Oh, aye. I like yar thinkin'. Whack dem while dey sleep too."

Jameson had a rueful smile at the exuberance, but said nothing to discourage such thinking. He turned to Rufus, "There aren't any more crash sites from our ship. I think we were the only one to escape from what we saw and the tribe has not heard anything about other sky peoples. Unless you know of any more sites from your ship? Then again, the pirates probably hit them too like they did ours."

"What tools and equipment do you have? Maybe you already have what we need."

OOC Information | Show
1 machete
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby LMiller » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Trever smiled at Alex, and then giggle louder when Grod had the same mentality as the soldier.

"Al has a spare pack he's carrying,"he said, and pointed at the man. "But we all have some things left in our packs too."

The boy knelt down on one knee and took off his pack. "Well, you see," Trever begins with a matter-of-fact attitude. "I have some illegal lock picks and things a thief like me needs. Actually, I should that I needed these things before the crash landing."

He showed the gadget to them. "These mag locks are from my brother, he used it on this one robbery we did together, and it saved us big time,"
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Aura » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:24 pm

"Hmmm," Rufus grunts, thinking a second after Trever is done. "We have a Robcom Kit, several multitools, first aid supplies, several science scanners, polyvoxes, toxirad scanners, chronocoms, a number of lasers and flashlight. Some things, like the science scanners, we wouldn't want to use unless it was the thing that was going to make the difference between this working or not. There is also the installation we woke up in, which might have parts we can use. Ultimately, it comes down to value as the original object vs value solving our problems." His eyebrows furrow, "And of course, there are supplies we could potentially take from the pirates."
Aura
Hero
Hero

Postby Herzog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:20 am

Maya smiled at the growing enthusiasm in the group and the Commander's companion. It seemed taking the fight to the pirates has every one excited. The purple haired girl agree that it was time for some action as well...

"Right, as Rufas said, we have some mutlitools and several scanners. Would the multi-tools be enough to help withe radio?"

When the facility they all woke uip was mentioned, Maya frowned. It would be several days journal back into the desert, and would they be able to find the entrance again?

"I guess going back to that facility is an option, but it might take some time to travel their and find it again. Hopefully, the Ul-mor might be able to help in that regard..."
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:33 am

~ Day 20 - 16:45 - Meeting the other expedition ~Image Image Image Image
Miranda shook her head, “We should not destroy any of our working equipment if we can help it… unless we have duplicates of it.”

“I am not sure we can find that underground complex again so easily by land. Though, from air it was marked with the life pod’s crash. The hard part would be finding anything that would be able to use. We took anything that we though was identifiable.”

Commander Jameson smiled and made a placating gesture, “I think you actually have something we can use. Grod and I had discussed what we were missing and wished we had a spare working polyvox.”

Grod was excited, “Yeah, dat’s all we need to fix’er up good. Oh, ya gots a couple an’ dey work, right?” He gestured to the ones being worn by Maya and Trever.

Jameson added, “Yes, that would be good. Whatever our plans for revenge on the pirates, the priority should be getting a message out so a rescue can be on the way.”

Alex nodded approval, “Yeah sure. Call in mawkin’ cavalry and take out the trash.”

OOC Information | Show
1 machete
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander