AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Image Image
A space opera-like setting in the far future where the human race spread out from Terra to the stars centuries ago.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: AtS: Eh!? What Happened? [IC]

Postby Herzog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:52 am

Maya feel a little ashamed at having to forget Argo couldn't easily ride the lopers. He would have to walk if they couldn't find an easy solution, and that was not good at all. But already, others were well on their way to brainstorming a solution.

"Rig up something like a pouch. Kind of like an old Earth kangaroo?"

Maya chewed her lip. She wasn't sure if that would interfere with the lopers own locomotion.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Aura » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Looking at one of the life preservers, then the loper saddle, then Argo, Rufus muses, "Large straps on a spare backpack, elastic build and lighter straps on a life jacket... should be enough to fab something for Argo." With a bit of a biting of the lip, the mechanic flips it back and forth, giving it the eye before continuing. "It could work, if you all want me to sacrifice for the project. We'd probably still have a bag, instead of a backpack, but the life preserver would be basically used."
Aura
Hero
Hero

Postby PMiller » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 pm

~ Day 15 - 19:05 - Camp near The Place of True Warriors ~Image Image
Alex listened to the conversation and rummaged in the extra backpack he had carried all the way from their initial crash site to have the extra supplies. “There are three extra backpacks in here, so feel free to do what you want to one of those. But I would not be so quick to tear apart a life jacket if we don’t have to.”

“Let’s ask the octopuses about it.”

Miranda corrected him, “Plural of octopus is octopi. Besides don’t call them that, you are now one of their tribe, mister octo-PUS.”

Alex gave Miranda a grin and retorted, “You only wish you could octo my puss, sweetheart.”

The soldier because serious right after and looked to Argo, “But from a tactical situation, you will be stuck in the harness should we need to dismount quickly. You lope along pretty good and your nose is better close to the ground, yeah.”

Miranda added, “At least we are traveling at night so the sand will not be hot and burning for your paws, Argo.”

OOC Information | Show
Inventory in 1 Spare Backpack carried by Alex
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

Polyvoxes worn: Maya, Argo, Trever
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Aura » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Pursing his lips and scratching his less than shaven chin, Rufus thinks. "Hrmmm, alright. Perhaps I could fill in with some leather scraps or something and not use a life preserver. There may be materials the Ul-mor are willing to part with. I guess the big thing is whether we want to build this harness for Argo. You know, someone mentions a craft project, I just have to think about it. A lot. And, preferably, out loud." With that, he shrugs and looks to the others for input.
Aura
Hero
Hero

Postby Herzog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 am

Maya looked at the Alex and Miranda as they voiced concerning about sacrificing the life jacket. It had merit and the group didn't know when they would need the life jacket to function as a life jacket.

"Maybe we're overthinking it a bit. Perhaps all Argo needs is something to bite onto and keep him steady when he's riding tandem with one of us on the loper."

The girl turned to the intelligent dog and wondering if he rather more comfortable on the ground running, rather than trying to ride. But the dog had already mentioned he wouldnt have the stamina to match the lopers.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Argo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Argo listened as the others shared their ideas. He could see how everyone’s ideas fit with their personalities: Al was thinking about tactical situations while Rufus was more concerned with the nuts and bolts of how to make a harness, and how much time it would take. Trever and Maya were thinking of practical solutions, and Miranda wanted to facilitate the conversation in a useful way.

“Thanks for the ideas, everyone.” Argo wagged his tail in appreciation that everyone had stopped to think just about him, and his comfort. Part of him felt bad that they had to make special arrangements for him while everyone else was just fine riding, but he was also grateful that they did.

He looked at Maya first.

“Unfortunately don’t think your idea will work because I need my mouth free to pant. Otherwise I can’t cool down.”

Argo paused and thought some more. It sounded to him like the objection to using the life vests or backpacks was stronger than the idea of him running, so he nodded like humans did, with and up-and-down-motion of his muzzle.

“I hate to hold everyone back, but if you guys think it’s best that I stay on the ground, I can do it as long as the lopers don’t go too quickly, and if we can take breaks so I can rest.”
Argo
Hero
Hero

Postby LMiller » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Trever was speechless after the discussion, unable to say anything. He didn't want to make Argo feel bad, or make everyone uncomfortable.

"I guess we could talk to the Ul-Mor later and see if they can rest in between." he added.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby PMiller » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:08 am

~ Day 15 - 19:08 - Camp near The Place of True Warriors ~Image Image
Miranda patted Argo on the head and skirched the fur around his ears. “Do not worry, Argo. We would not leave you behind or tire you out.”

Alex agreed, “Damn straight, mate. We’ll just keep the dinos reined in to your pace. Someone with a polyvox just needs to tell that spotted octopus about it,” he nodded his head towards the Ul-Mor that looked to be head scout on the expedition.

From the morning festivities, the group could recall his name was Kahai Long Rider. He was a close friend of Athru and a proclaimed protector of the lopers.

“Or we can get Rufus probed again,” he joked and gave the techie a friendly shove to his shoulder.

While the group discussed the canine’s predicament, the Ul-Mor that were looking to accompany them were nearly completed with the packing and loading of supplied on the lopers.

OOC Information | Show
1 machete
1 first aid kit (Basic anesthetics, stimdoses, antiseptics, medscanner, antibody plus, antitox, spray hypo, etc...)
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Aura » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:38 am

Rufus huffs at the probing comment. Looking towards Alex, he retorts, "You've got a problem with letting things go, Alex," he observes, then just shrugs. "Oh, well. We each seem to have a laundry list of foibles."

Returning to the subject at hand, the scruffy-faced technician agrees, "Alright, we tear nothing up, this time. It might slow us down a bit, but it seems most practical to have the lopers and Argo run at the speed of the slower... which we suspect is Argo. Ummm... no judgement in that, Argo. I'm sure if we compared the lopers to human overland speed, we wouldn't even have to ask which is faster." Stepping towards the lopers, now fully loaded, he adds, "We are what we are."
Aura
Hero
Hero

Postby LMiller » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Trever followed Rufus toward the lopers, and looked over his shohulder to signal Argo to follow.

"Just tell us when you need to rest," he said as thedog approached him.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

Postby Herzog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:35 am

"Oh, I didn't think of that, sorry" Maya said as Argo immediately shot down her idea of him biting something to hold onto.

The sapient dog then accepted and told every one that he would just walk. The purple haired girl felt a bit bad about that, but it seemed there was no other option for the time being.

"Well, hopefully, our traveling tonight won't be too long or bad."

THe girl looked around and saw that the lopers were nearly loaded. It seemed to time to head out.

"Well, looks like the lopers are ready."

Maya nodded as Trevor reminded the Argo to let them know when he needed to rest.

"Right, we'll figure it out."

Arriving at the lopers, Maya picked one that looked about her size, and secured her pack. She then looked at the others and waited to see if they were ready to mount and set off. If the Ul-mor signalled their readiness, Maya would try to mount.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Argo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:58 pm

“Thanks for understanding, everyone. I’ll say something when I get tired.”

Argo understood if they were a little disappointed in the slow pace that would be necessitated by him travelling under his own power. But since they had other constraints as to how to solve that, this seemed the best compromise.

He bumped Trever’s leg with his head.

“I’ll be right there, Trever.”

He walked over to where the Ul-Mor were making their final preparations and approached Kahai Long Rider.

“Hello Kahai Long Rider . I have a request,” he said, politely. “Since I can’t ride on the backs of the lopers like everyone else, I am going to need to run under my own power. Only I can’t go as fast or as long as the lopers can. I will need to travel at a slower pace and take breaks to rest.”

He paused and wagged his tail, hoping for the Ul-Mor’s approval.

“I hope this is acceptable to you.”
Argo
Hero
Hero

Postby PMiller » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 pm

~ Day 16 - 06:00 - Camping during the trek ~Image Image Image
With everyone ready to get started, Alex and Miranda followed after Maya to see which mounts they were to ride. The Ul-mor riders had each been assigned to carry one human passenger as Kahai Long Rider pointed out who should go where.

Kahai looked down at Argo and spoke. The polyvox translated, “No worry, Argo Furry Loper. You are of the One and we travel together. Lopers have heavy load,” a tentacle had gestured to the humans being helped up to sit behind the Ul-Mor riders.

“You run faster than lopers.”

Apparently Kahai was not concerned about the pace being too much for the canine’s stamina. He was probably well aware of how fast the group had walked when they made their way to the current camp.

With the others mounted up, the party got underway to a few farewells from Athru and the other Ul-Mor leaders.

The lopers lumbered along during the night, a pace that Argo found easy enough since he was not encumbered. Even so, the pace was faster than before when Alex was carrying extra gear while the humans had to follow along behind the tribe’s desert trek.

The riders found themselves tired after spending several hours sitting on the back of a loper. When the party stopped to make camp for the daytime, those riding lopers were actually more fatigued from the night’s trek than Argo.

Back on the ground, Alex stretched his stiff muscles a bit and remarked, “Buddy, be glad you are not riding on that dino’s boney back. It ain’t no hover car.”

OOC Information | Show
1 machete
3 compasses
2 life jackets
1 pocket multi-tool
3 pairs of boots
Extra Water
3 Backpacks

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:21 am

Maya likewise dismounted along with the others. The night had passed, but to the girl it was hard to judge how far they had traveled in the desert sands. She looked over to Alex and grimaced. Her own pains and soreness from riding the lopers made themselves evident.

"Right. While we didn't have to walk, I probably felt every little step. The saddles have no cushion."

The purple hair girl walked around a bit to work the soreness from her legs and back. Then she moved back and began to assist unloading the lopers and making camp.

"Another day of this?
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby LMiller » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Trever felt miserable after getting off the loper. He tried to hop down safely, but fell over since his knees were numb. His joints ached and his back was soar from hunching over the whole time.

"You know, I think I used as much energy as walking," he said petting the panting dog.
LMiller
The little dragon
The little dragon

PreviousNext

Return to Among the Stars [The Window]