Night Oasis Tales (Pre-Game IC)

The deserts of Osirion—land of pharaohs and ancient tombs—hide not just untold wonders, but also unspeakable dangers. When the vast sand dunes part to reveal the ancient pyramid of the legendary Pharaoh of Sphinxes, glory seekers from across many nations race toward it, each fighting to be the first to claim its wonders. Your group of bold adventurers are the first to arrive. Can you claim what's risen from the sands?

Moderator: Joph

Night Oasis Tales (Pre-Game IC)

Postby Joph » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:11 pm

spoiler: show

The Osirian Desert comprises the bulk of Osirion's land area and is as forbidding a territory as any on Garund. The desert is largely trackless, as its shifting sands and scouring khamsin winds soon overwhelm roads and structures. Rocky outcroppings thrust into the sky throughout the desert, often providing the only landmarks by which to navigate, and those sites and settlements that survive the elements do so by huddling in their protection. Often, however, the great expanse shows nothing but sky and sand in any direction.

Just north of the Pillars of the Sun, a mountain range surrounded by the low-lying deserts, is a small trade hub known as Eto, a city where most of the roads through the Osirion Desert converge. The caravan routes that cross the desert are at best marked by guideposts and at worst traversed only via celestial navigation and memory, but they all include Eto, the largest and most accessible city in the region. Eto is the true heart of the region, protected from the desert sands and the vicious khamsin winds by a series of cliffs that rings the city, creating a strangely cylindrical crater roughly a mile wide and 60 feet deep. Hidden springs seep through cracks in the cliffs, and clean water flows down smoothly eroded stone troughs into the city's cisterns. The solid stone and clay buildings look like they were built to last here.

Eto is divided into several residential districts variously quiet or rowdy, all surrounding the Eto Bazaar at the center of town. The bazaar is a nonstop riot of activity save for a few hours around midday, when the shopkeepers close their stalls to the angry sun. Within the bazaar sits a building known as the Night Oasis, one of the largest taverns in Eto. You have come today for various reasons, but to all, the lure of treasure and glory cannot be denied. It is just past noon and the locals have begun to gather again, filtering into the tavern, with hurried discussions going on about the newest wonder in Osirion to emerge - the pyramid of the legendary Pharaoh of Sphinxes. Excitement abounds in the Night Oasis as whispers of hurrying to uncover its hidden wonders emerges.
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Night Oasis Tales (Pre-Game IC)

Postby Laria Mavern » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:46 am

Laria had said good-bye to the temporary companions from the latest caravan she had been accompanying across the desert. She had not known them long, but they had spent a few months together before returning to Eto.

News of the latest discovery was drawing excitement and she had received word from some of her former adventurous acquaintances that they would be meeting in Eto to look into new ventures together. Delvin had mentioned meeting her in a message she received from him. He had mentioned the ifrit Jaha as well, someone she had met in passing on one occasion.

Laria had walked in to the Night Oasis tavern. The buzz of conversations carried snippets of excited speculation on the pyramid of the legendary Pharaoh of Sphinxes. She was curious herself, but did not join in conversations as she looked around to see who else was present.

She did not see them yet, and found a low table that was just becoming vacant. She sat on the cushions and ordered some fruit juice.
Laria Mavern
Villager
Villager

Postby Delvin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:34 am

Delvin walked the streets of Eto and headed towards the Night Oasis tavern. The sun was high in the sky as it was noon, and the dry desert heat was beginning to be oppressive. The gunslinger had been perusing the market for additional equipment. With the news of the discovery, every man jack and body was out and about. The dark haired man wondered just how many adventuring groups would attempt the trip to the pyramid.

For his own part, Delvin had sent messages out to a few skilled and able adventurers he had run across in his time as merchant guard and mercenary. In the message, he suggested that they met in Eto and see about claiming the tomb's treasures for themselves. Now it was time to see who all responded. Delvin had reached the tavern, and pushed the door open.

Inside, the gunslinger was greeted by the buzz of conversation. The place was crowded with speculators and probably other would be adventurers. The man looked around for any that he recognized. He stopped when a platinum headed beauty was spied sitting at a table in one of the corners. Delvin recognized Laria and was pleased the healer responded to his message. The gunslinger waved in greeting and moved to join the young woman.

"Hello Laria. Good to see you made it!"

Delvin took a seat at the table, and grinned at the platinum haired woman.

"Exciting times, isn't it? Seen any one else we know?"
TSP, Delvin Mallory - Gunslinger
Delvin
Legend
Legend

Postby Laria Mavern » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Laria smiled a greeting in return as the gunslinger settled down on the cushion at the low table. She poured some of the juice from the amphora that arrived into ceramic cup with the logo for the tavern painted on it.

"Well met again, Delvin. I see time has flowed through its river, yet has not changed your appearance or disposition."

She shook her head, but remained cheery as she answered, "No one yet has arrived, besides yourself. But the mysteries that can be discovered should bring them running towards this meeting, not swimming against the current of time."

"Have you learned something as of yet?" Laria asked in a low voice, with an almost conspiratorial tone.
Laria Mavern
Villager
Villager

Postby Sandstar » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:02 am

The sun was just past its highest point when Jaha rode into Eto, the hooves of his mule kicking up little clouds of dust in the otherwise still air. The hood of the ifrit's red cloak was up, to provide a modicum of shade as well as make his features slightly less noticeable. It would not do to be recognised by the wrong people just now, after all. Like that bastard Faroukh Masour, Jaha thought to himself, Now there's a merchant who takes himself far too seriously! How was I to know that he used that old wooden shack to store his loads of spices? He really should have been more careful, it was clearly a fire hazard! But Masour had friends, powerful friends, friends who Jaha would prefer to avoid. Still, with all these strangers streaming into Eto following word of the latest discovery of this pyramid out in the deep desert, Jaha could probably manage to avoid detection for a while. Long enough, hopefully, to meet up with Delvin and whoever else he might have convinced to accompany him on this latest adventure. The Pharao of the Sphinxes, indeed! Why, the very name sounds rich! And Jaha liked the sound of that.

Making his way into town, Jaha found he had to dismount to guide his mule through the busy traffic on Eto's narrow streets to reach the bazaar. He tethered the animal to a post near the Night Oasis, before striding over purposefully to several children playing in the dust nearby. "Greetings!", he said, "You look like a bunch of sharp-eyed folk who understand the value of money; I wish to make you a financial proposition! I propose that I pay you, and you in return prevent any miscreant from taking off with my valiant steed over there. First instalment now, more later when she's still here where I've left her. Do we have an accord?" He scattered sufficient copper coins amongst the children to ensure they would remain on guard, before making his way into the Night Oasis, his battleaxe strapped to his back with his other belongings.

Once his eyes adjusted to the relative gloom inside, Jaha briefly raised his eyebrows in surprise: the place was packed with people, mostly adventurers and treasure-seekers, many of whom clearly had no idea what the desert might throw at them judging by their equipment. Jaha sighed: most of those would most likely be dead within the next week, and it seemed an awful waste of resources. But the Red Lady's hand could never protect everyone. He ordered a cheap wine at the bar, then continued his search for Delvin amongst the alcoves and tables, before spotting the gunslinger at a small table in a corner towards the back. He was talking to a platinum blonde who Jaha thought he vaguely recognised, although he couldn't place the memory at the moment.

"Greetings Delvin!", he exclaimed as he reached the pair, "It is good to see you again! I trust you are well? And who do we have here? Forgive me, I do not know your name, milady, although I feel we may have met before!" Lowering the hood of his cloak, he made a flourishing bow towards Laria before continuing with a wide grin, "Jahanhotep is my name, but please call me Jaha; all my friends do! I am a healer serving Lady Sekhmet."

Jaha sat down heavily on one of the adjacent cushions, taking care not to spill any of his wine. The tavern's lanternlight reflected off his bald red forehead and his short dark horns. He took a sip of his wine before continuing quietly: "Apologies for interrupting. I assume you were discussing Delvin's latest plan?"

Notes | Show
Sekhmet is one of the Ancient Osirian deities, typically illustrated as a lioness-headed goddess bearing a battleaxe. She is a dualistic being, embodying both the chaos of war and the skills of healing. Her domains include Chaos, Destruction, Fire, Healing, and War, as as a result she is both feared and sought out in equal measure. Her worship, like that of the other ancient Osirian gods, has waned in recent years following the Qeleshite invasions, now being mainly limited to nomadic desert tribes.

Combat Info | Show
Free action:
Move action:
Standard action:

Current AC: 17
Current HP: 18/18
Current Weapon in Hand: MW Battleaxe
Conditions in effect:

Wand CLW: 50 charges
Ammo: 30 Arrows

Spells Available:
Cantrips: Detect Magic, Mending, Purify Food/Drink, Spark?
1st Level: Cure Light Wounds, Detect Undead, Shield of Faith, Burning Hands (D)
2nd Level: Cure Moderate Wounds, Produce Flame (D)

Abilities: Fire Bolt 0/4; Rebuke Death 0/4; Burning Hands 0/1;

Character Sheet: Jaha
Sandstar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Delvin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:58 am

"Other than every would be adventurer and fortune seeker has descended upon the town, I have not learned much. I only arrived yesterday myself."

Delvin smirked at the oracle's manner of speech. She always seem speak in enigmatic tones, often having to do with time. Perhaps it had to do with profession or skills. The gunslinger never really put much thought into it.

Now settled at the low table, Delvin took another look around the tavern. He tried to catch an eye of a serving girl, but the place was crowded and would take some time. About that time, he saw Jahanhotep enter the tavern. Before too long, the cleric had joined them at their table.

"Heh, Well met Jaha! Good to see you made it as well."

"And its not like this is my idea alone. Just look at the crowd."

Inward, Delvin was glad the cleric showed up. Along with Laria, they would have plenty of magic and divine support in the group. Now they just needed to have a couple more members suited for up close and personal combat.
Delvin
Legend
Legend

Postby Joshua13905 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:40 pm

It had been a long day for Damios. Walking through Eto had proven to be more troublesome than he imagined, and instead of arriving early, as he had intended he was late. But he finally found himself at the entrance to his destination, and with a grin at finally making it there, pushed open the doors, and strode in.

Looking around he finally spotted his contact. Delvin, he was called. He only had met Delvin once, and the turnout had proven fairly violent. Delvin had been protecting someone that wanted to purchase some mixtures from Damios, and a third party had decided to ruin Delvin's charge's day.

Needless to say you handled yourself wonderfully Damios. He thought to himself, that must be why he was invited on this venture after all.

As he swept between bodies in the tavern, his tail trailed behind him, slicing neatly through the air to avoid getting stepped on. He hated when his tail got stepped on. Finally he sidled up to the group around Delvin. With just a tinge of unnatural grace he slid onto an empty chair.

"A pleasure to meet you again, Delvin, though I am sorry I was not here sooner, I was waylaid by an accident in the city streets on my way. And to the rest of you, I am Damios, and I am interested in joining you." A light smile dances across his lips as he speaks, committing the new faces to memory.
Joshua13905
Villager
Villager

Postby Laria Mavern » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:09 am

Laria smiled at the newcomers’ arrivals and introduced herself, “I am Laria Mavern. Well met, Damios and Jaha.”

Since word had come from Delvin, she assumed the tielfing was another acquaintance of the gunslinger’s. She had not met either of the other men before on the caravan routes that she could recall.

“I know Delvin from traveling amongst the caravan routes, using my own healing abilities and magic as needed. I am a student of time, and not a priestess for one of the gods.”

Laria gestured to the pitcher of fruit juice on the table if the others wanted to partake.

“Bringing everyone together at this time portends a merging of the flows like tributaries joining into the main river.”

The platinum haired woman had eyes that often slipped into a faraway look when she made statements like her last. While she appeared to be human, she often carried a sense of something not quite right about that appearance.

OOC Note | Show
Joshua, you might want to note that I described we were sitting around a low table and sitting on cushions, not chairs.

I thought that felt more appropriate to a desert city setting. ;)
Laria Mavern
Villager
Villager

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:25 pm

As Ramses follows the guide he hired to show him the way to the Night Oasis, he takes in the city around him. He has seen many locations spread throughout Osirion during his travels. Much has been learned from the experiences, and if nothing else, he anticipates that will be a good enough reason to be here. Whether anything else comes of it will be seen soon enough.

The letter he had received had been from a man named Delvin. Ramses had met him in a caravan that Delvin had been hired to guard. When some gnolls attacked, the shortage of guards led Ramses to helping defend the caravan as well. Though he had summoned creatures rather than bonding with his constant companion, it had made enough of an impression on the gunslinger that the two had talked for a bit after. When they parted, they agreed to contact each other if they found any prominent money-making opportunities, as both would benefit from it.

In truth, Ramses had not thought Delvin would remember that agreement. He had been surprised when a letter arrived a few days ago, asking if he was close enough to meet at Eto. Having no better place to be, he had departed at once. He made good time, arriving the evening that the meeting was supposed to take place.

As the guide halts and gestures to the tavern, Ramses takes it in. He hates entering crowded areas such as this. It is far more likely that his oddities will be spotted in such a location. The crowd can help distract people inside, but it also means anyone's eyes could drop to the floor and see his shadow. He will have to hope that does not happen tonight, and that Delvin has warned anyone else he contacted of that oddity. Otherwise, it is likely Ramses will have some explaining to do.

Ramses nods to the guide while saying, "Thank you, Steve." He presses a silver piece into the man's palm and heads inside. With only a light backpack and his weapons accompanying him, he does not have to worry about any other possessions of his. That he is lacking in wealth so much is the main problem he is experiencing right now.

Upon stepping inside, Ramses looks around the room. He spots Delvin sitting with three other people and makes his way over at once. As he goes, he hopes they pay more attention to him, and not his odd shadow. He has seen it enough to know that it looks far larger and longer than his body should show. The form is too muscular, and the hair looks much wilder. Sometimes it moves, and others it seems to show its glowing eyes and sharp teeth before becoming the darkness that it usually is. If he is lucky, it will not be brought up, or Delvin will have warned of it. If not, there might be less than four people at the table in relatively short order. People making excuses to leave, or outright running, are reactions he is most used to.

Ramses stops by the table and gives a small bow. "It is a good to see you again, Delvin. To everyone else, greetings. My name is Ramses. It's a pleasure to meet you." He straightens and offers a pleasant smile before taking a seat on one of the remaining cushions, showing no traces of anything besides friendliness.
Last edited by Celtic Guardian 7 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Joshua13905 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Damios nods his thanks at Laria's offer of juice, setting his hands on the table.he peels leather gloves off his hands, revealing hands scarred with numerous cuts and burns. He reaches out and pours himself a mug of the juice and raises it to his lips inhaling as he closes his eyes. After a moment his eyelids open again, and he smiles deeply then takes a long drink.

"Delicious, thank you, Laria." He sets the mug back down onto the table, leaning forward on the cushion, his tail castwaving shadows behind him. Five fingers danced lithely along the tables edge, while his other hand held his drink. His eyes glinted, and a playful smile danced across his lips as Ramses joined them.

"Well met Ramses. I hope my newfound companions will not think me forward if I introduce them. This is Laria, our stunning student of seconds, the handsome fellow there has allowed us to call him Jaha, in place of Jahanhotep, which I would undoubtedly mispronounce before the end of our journey. And seeing as you already know Delvin, that leaves just myself, Damios, master of mixes, expert on elixirs, and a daring dexterous demon of draughts." He chuckles, obviously overstating his abilities somewhat.
Joshua13905
Villager
Villager

Postby Delvin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:59 pm

Delvin nodded his thanks on the offer of the juice and help himself to a cup of it. He also caught the eye of one the serving persons in the tavern and gestured for another carafe of the juice. The gunslinger had a feeling they would need it. Especially with the others to joining them.

As if to speak their names, the last two potential group members Delvin had contacted soon appeared and joined them at the table.

First was Damios, an alchemist and adventurer that Delvin ran across while protecting a client. The client had been accosted and attacked while trying to buy something from Damios. Needless to say neither Delvin nor the alchemist liked the interruption, and both handedly dealt with the offender and his party. Always on the lookout for new contacts for future work and stuff, the gunslinger would keep the Damios in mind.

Likewise, meeting Ramses was under similar circumstances. But this time with a caravan. And it was a more serious threat. The caravan had been understaffed to begin with, and nearly overwhelmed when the summoner stepped in and began to assist. It had been near thing that day, and Delvin was grateful to Ramses and promised to keep in touch.

Now here they were in Eto, forming a group to seek their fortune.

“Good to see you both, Damios and Ramses. I’m glad you two could make it as I wasn’t sure you get my message. As you can see from the town, this appears to be a golden opportunity!”
Delvin
Legend
Legend

Postby Laria Mavern » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:49 am

Laria smiled in greeting as their number increased to five. She considered the group of experienced journeymen in attendance. With some their skills were relatively obvious. Others not so much.

She nodded in approval with Devlin's sentiments of opportunity. She asked, "Is this everyone you contacted, Devlin?"

"While some of us have professed some our our expertise, I am curious about the others. I would assume that you contacted us for specific reasons. I know I am capable of magic and spells of a divine nature, much like Jaha here. Though I suspect we know different magics, I suspect we both are well versed in the healing arts."

"I am not much of a warrior though, lacking such strength to really go toe to toe with a tough foe."
Laria Mavern
Villager
Villager

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:18 am

Damios' introductions are met with a nod. A look of amusement appears as Ramses says, "Sounds like quite the crew. Though from what Delvin mentioned in his letter, it would have to be. It seems that we are about to participate in something that is significantly dangerous." He gives them a quirked smile and remarks, "But well worth the risk, should we live to tell the tale."

Turning his gaze to Delvin, Ramses replies, "Yes, it did reach me. Fortunately, I was not far away. I managed to arrive in town this evening." He nods again. "I am curious to have more information on the location you mentioned, but what you did provide was more than enough to peak my interest. This partnership should benefit all of us."

Laria's remark causes Ramses to pause. It sounds to him as though Delvin has not mentioned his capabilities, but if they are to work together, it is hardly something he can hide. All it means is that he will have to be the one to explain them. Since he had not shown Delvin his companion, that would need clarification all around as well.

"I can call to creatures on other planes to bring them into our world for a short time," Ramses starts. This part is fairly easy to explain for him. "It takes my strength to do so, which means I can only do it a certain number of times a day. I can usually manage it seven times before being drained. I also know some basic spells, such as providing invisible and weightless armor. It acts more like a barrier of force. There are some others as well, such as lighting up an object. I can see in the dark, so I rarely bother with it, but if anyone cannot, that might help."

Now comes the tricky part for him. Ramses pauses before stating, "As for the front line... I can fight there. But it requires a bit of a... special... summon. You see, most creatures are temporary servants that leave soon after they came. But I have a much more permanent bond with another one. By summoning him to this world, I can... fuse with him." He keeps his gaze steady on the group, trying to make it seem as though it is not a big deal. "He fights with me as part of him. I can't summon other beings while we are bound together, but I can use other forms of magic."

There is another pause, and he says, "His name is Ammon. I don't show him to many people, but I think he will be necessary for this trip. I must warn you, though, that those who see him tend to be... startled. Know that even if he does look and act strangely, he will do as I want, which includes protecting all of you." Ramses manages to bring back his smile, though he watches carefully to see what their reactions will be like.
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Sandstar » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:46 am

Jaha inclines his head to acknowledge the oracle's compliment. "Indeed, I have some knowledge of the healing arts," he smiles, "I am not sure my combat prowess matches that of some of you, but I like to think that I can give as good as I get in a tight spot. Especially if my attackers are in any way flammable." A smile briefly passes over his face as he fondly recalls several previous encounters. "You see, I have something of a gift with fire - it is such a beautiful thing to watch, and most effective to deter unwanted attention!"

He studies the others carefully before continuing, "Master of Mixes sounds good to me, Damios! I would welcome the chance to discuss your craft in more detail at some later time. And Ramses, this ...Ammon-creature sounds powerful, but you must be even more so to be able to control him. I am sure we shall work together well, when the time comes! Which brings me to the matter at hand - what do we know about where this find is located, and how do we ensure we reach it first?"

Combat Info | Show
Free action:
Move action:
Standard action:

Current AC: 17
Current HP: 18/18
Current Weapon in Hand: MW Battleaxe
Conditions in effect:

Wand CLW: 50 charges
Ammo: 30 Arrows

Spells Available:
Cantrips: Detect Magic, Mending, Purify Food/Drink, Spark?
1st Level: Cure Light Wounds, Detect Undead, Shield of Faith, Burning Hands (D)
2nd Level: Cure Moderate Wounds, Produce Flame (D)

Abilities: Fire Bolt 0/4; Rebuke Death 0/4; Burning Hands 0/1;

Character Sheet: Jaha
Sandstar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Laria Mavern » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:40 am

Laria was not surprised by summoning magic and said, “I know a spell to summon creatures from another plane as well. Mine only stay for about twenty heartbeats, though. I have not heard of fusing one with the caster’s body before.”

“I have heard of spells that can make you look like someone else. There are also powerful magics that can transform the caster into another form much like those druids that desire to walk the animal path.”

She considered Jaha’s question about being first to the location. It was all about time and she was distracted as she silently considered how it moved in the desert. Shaking herself to focus on the topic she asked, “Are you thinking we might need mounts to ride, Jaha? I do not have one, but I do have enough funds to purchase one.”
Laria Mavern
Villager
Villager

Next

Return to Risen From The Sands [PF]