The Night Oasis [OOC]

The deserts of Osirion—land of pharaohs and ancient tombs—hide not just untold wonders, but also unspeakable dangers. When the vast sand dunes part to reveal the ancient pyramid of the legendary Pharaoh of Sphinxes, glory seekers from across many nations race toward it, each fighting to be the first to claim its wonders. Your group of bold adventurers are the first to arrive. Can you claim what's risen from the sands?

Moderator: Joph

Re: The Night Oasis [OOC]

Postby Joph » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Yup yup. 4 is intended for the module, so 4 it will stay I'd say. Higher challenge, perhaps, but higher rewards too.

Not much to update in the main thread on my end - there are no secret passages found, and Delvin thinks the passage itself looks sturdy but not what purpose it could serve other than to connect the main pyramid with the outer temple behind you. Laria isn't aware of what history the passage may have other than serving as an entryway from the temple to the pyramid.
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:14 am

Was the rolling pyramid coming towards us?
Is there room to go around or over it?

Either way, Joshua's front rank is Damios so... he's up next to lead us into daaaaaangerrrrrr. :mrgreen:
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Joph » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:39 am

It's not moving at the moment.

The answer to your second question is actually lost in development hell. The book's writer intended for people to be able to just climb over it, but that never made it to the final product as written. I find intent to trump the writing though, so I would say one could climb over the pyramid.
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:57 am

Joph wrote:It's not moving at the moment.

The answer to your second question is actually lost in development hell. The book's writer intended for people to be able to just climb over it, but that never made it to the final product as written. I find intent to trump the writing though, so I would say one could climb over the pyramid.

Thanks.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:40 am

Happy New Year!
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Joph » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Happy New Year to all!

Edited your post a bit there Joshua, the quote tags were making it present really odd.

Time to get an update!
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Joph » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Our first combat, how exciting! For the sake of reference, when it comes to initiative I am taking the averages of both groups. Since Laria has Temporal Celerity, I roll twice for the party in general. Your initiative scores as an average are really big so this will pretty much win you guys the roll most of the time. 8) I figure that helps counterbalance initiative boosting in a PBP group initiative setting, since some don't view that as lucrative.
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:41 pm

I thought animated objects were magical and had auras, no?
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Joph » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:48 pm

I had to check into that as well. Per James Jacobs:

"Unless a monster specifically has a special quality that says otherwise (and I'm pretty sure there are none that do), you can't detect ANY monster (including magical beasts, undead, or constructs) with detect magic. Creatures don't have magic auras. Spell effects on them do, though."

Note though that actually is a change from how it worked in 3.5. Per the developers for that: "Most constructs resemble inanimate objects when they aren't moving themselves. A simple animated object is indistinguishable from a regular object until it moves (though a detect magic spell will reveal the magic aura from the spell that animates the object)."

Said 3.5 article also had clues on spotting golems with Arcana and Spot. As it is in PF, it seems stupidly difficult to root out animated objects without tossing rocks at everything. This is also why I'm going with the concept of just climbing over the pyramid as an option, since that's pretty brutal otherwise.

Upon reading the answer again with the corresponding thread, I'm inclined to think one should be able to detect the animate objects + permanency effects in play though. With that said, I will edit my post to "go back" a step, since it would radiate those auras. It'll be a bit of a delayed-reaction Detect Magic, but it should fit. Apologies for the mistake everyone!

Okay, that took some editing, but I think we've now returned to a stable time loop for consistency. Carry on good adventurers!
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:21 am

Joph wrote:I had to check into that as well.

<snip>

With that said, I will edit my post to "go back" a step, since it would radiate those auras. It'll be a bit of a delayed-reaction Detect Magic, but it should fit. Apologies for the mistake everyone!

Huh. I was AFK at lunch, and had not even known it was a change from 3.5ed. No worries.

The question now is what to do with the knowledge we have. Hmmm.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Joshua13905 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:47 am

Let's do the time warp again!
Joshua13905
Villager
Villager

Postby Sandstar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Jaha has now begun trying to pry loose some of the paving stones, but that will take a while given his mediocre strength. Success is predicated upon him being able to take his time, so it may not work if the pyramid-thing decided to attack in the interim...
Sandstar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Herzog » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:51 am

keep forgetting that the gunslinger is a reckless archtype....
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Joph » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:04 pm

I'll just confirm here that at the distance moved, the pyramid still does not react, Delvin.
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Herzog wrote:keep forgetting that the gunslinger is a reckless archtype....

Must have True Grit. ;)
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Risen From The Sands [PF]