WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

The Kingdom of Talingarde is perhaps the noblest, most virtuous and peaceful nation yet founded. The royalty of this dominion has rescued a dispirited people from the brink of despair and darkness. They dealt with their enemies honorably and their allies faithfully. Talingarde is a paragon of the age, a bright shining city upon a hill. Yet the nation faces now its greatest test. US! It is our ambition to do nothing less than destroy Talingarde utterly.

Moderator: PMiller

WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:28 am

Beginning of IC Thread

The prisoners in Brandescar managed to escape their cells and kill a few guards. After breaking into the storerooms and armory, they were better outfitted than just prison rags. They secured the two servants from the kitchen and won over the loyalty of the remaining guard dogs the prison guards had been neglecting and mistreating.

Avoiding the patrol on the battlements while the rest of the guards were allegedly gambling with the nefarious Sergeant Blackerly, the escapees snuck around the back of the main prison building with the intend to murder the Warden in his bed.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12313
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:31 am

Darius looks around at the books in the library, his inherent darkvision letting him see even when torches weren't around. This warden had a keen mind, but the dhampir and his allies would likely outnumber and murder him. Darius had not forgotten the fact that it had been a spellcaster who had originally read his thoughts and proclaimed to the king his urge for blood. While it was hardly Mathias's fault, the wizard would serve as a scapegoat and victim.

"I'll head up there first. If anyone is there, they may think I'm just a guard to begin with. If the landing's clear, let's get ready and then take Mathias's head." Darius begins to climb up the stairs, keeping his longsword at the ready. Though there was talk of summoned beasts and dogs, Darius had only one goal in mind. Branderscar Prison was the second mark of shame for Darius, and the one who was responsible for all of his recent terror and feelings of failure was just up the stairs. For overseeing such a prison, Mathias deserved nothing less than death, and Darius would have to restrain himself to keep from wringing all of the blood from the warden's corpse when he was finished.


Darius Mini-stats | Show
Darius Talingarde
Male Lawful Evil Dhampir Antipaladin, Level 1,
Init +3, HP 10/10, Speed 30 ft.
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3,
CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
Longbow (20/20 arrows left) +4 (1d8, x3)
Longsword +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x2)
Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex)
Weapon in Hand: Longsword & Shield

Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 18
Condition None
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12313
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:34 am

"Well they are just books," Cullen says regarding destroying them. He's a bit confused, as they will do little against them, unless somehow they are animated to fly and attack them. He doubts that, however.

"Well let's be on with it then." he adds. "The dragon or our large knight should try and wrestle the mage to the ground, and we can deliver a killing blow from there. The less he can use his magic to summon guards or else make a lot of noise the better."

OOC | Show
Cast Detect Magic

Updated Map

Cullen Mini-stats | Show
Cullen Demarche
M LE Human Cleric, Level 1, Init +1, HP 10/10, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13
Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
Leather Club +2 (1d6+2 (Half Nonlethal), 20x2, WIH)
Dagger +2 (1d4+2, 19-20x2)
Mace +2 (1d8+3, x2)
Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
Weapons in Hand: Mace

Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 17, Cha 14
Condition None
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12313
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Joph » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:35 am

Cullen detects no magic or traces of it leading up to the third floor. Rua'thil and Darius, however, hear something as the dhampir climbs the stairs. It is the sound of a loud, clear voice casting a spell, though it's hard to hear it very clearly.

The spiral staircase up ends here at a stone landing. The stairway once continued up to the roof of this tower but now the roof is closed off. This chamber is lit by a single torch on a sconce. To the north is a door bearing a plaque that reads "Office". The southern door has a similar plaque that reads "Private: Keep Out!". The sound of the voice seemed like it came from behind the southern door.

OOC | Show
Spellcraft involves line of sight to identify, so that's not possible at the moment.


Updated Map
User avatar
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:33 am

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Rua'thil » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:38 am

~ Branderscar Prison: Level 1 Warden's Tower ~

Rua’thil held up a finger to her lips as Darius ascended the stairs. She was listening carefully and then frowned. She had heard what sounded like an incantation in cadence, but without seeing the gestures or hearing the phrases, she had no idea what the spell was.

"We can forget any chance the Warden is asleep. I can here him up there. I cannot be sure which door, but perhaps Darius knows and can tell us when he returns."

"What are we going to do about it? He could be distracted and we could rush him anyway. Or we could have our faux guard knock and draw him close enough that we can start attacking him once he comes to the door. Perhaps we can stage our ambush in the second room and catch him between our guard and the rest of us."

"If we need to harry him with summoned creatures, then I cannot summon Tamarak. All I need is a crack int he door to see and I can conjure fiendish eagles into the room with him."

Rua'thil Mini-Stats | Show
Init +2, Speed 30
AC 16, Tch 12, FF 14, CMD 11
HP 10/10
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +6
Spells:
Cantrips (Mage Hand, Acid Splash, Guidance, Light)
1st Level (Mage Armor, Lesser Eidolon Rejuvenation) 2/2 Remaining
Summon Monster 1: 5/6 remaining
Conditions: None

Weapons in Hand: Torch

"Fiendish Eagle" | Show
[url="http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-monster/summon-monster-1-statblocks"]Summon Monster 1 Statblocks[/url]
AC 14, HP 5/5
Attacks: Melee 2 talons +3 (1d4), bite +3(1d4)


No change to Map
User avatar
Rua'thil
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:20 am
Location: Golarion

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 am

Considering the description Rua'thil gives of Tamarak, Duke gives a small nod to show he is satisfied with the explanation. "Very well. I will keep that in mind." He glances at Cullen, nodding again to confirm the need to strike quickly. He then watches as Darius makes his way up the stairs.

Though Duke does not hear anything from above, he trusts Rua'thil's judgment in that regard. After thinking about what she has said, he states, "It might be better to have a summoned creature go first. If he is awake, he might become aware of our presence. That, or he could have a trap set. If neither is true, the creature would get an attack in. If one is, the creature will take the blow instead of us." While he had hoped to have the dragon's strength on their side for this fight, he cannot deny the usefulness of cannon fodder. The dogs might wind up suffering that fate, but he believes the summoned creature would be more useful for this.

"Either way, it would be best to have Darius' report first," Duke says in his usual low tone. "If Cullen has a chance to look for magic up there, that would help too. Let's wait for the moment. Be ready to act, though." If Darius is attacked, they will need to move quickly. With the dhampir being a fellow worshiper of Asmodeus, Duke is not about to let his life be taken in this prison. Should he have to defend him, Duke will not hesitate to do so.

Combat Map

Duke Knyvett, Male Human Strategist | Show
Duke Knyvett
Male Lawful Evil Human Cavalier (Strategist), Level 1
Init +2, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, CMD 16
Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +0
CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus +1
Glaive +4 (1d10+4, x3)
Longsword +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x2)
Longbow (20 Arrows) +3 (1d8, x3)
Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16
Condition None

Weapons in Hand:
Glaive

Abilities | Show
Challenge: 0/1 used.
Tactician (Stealth Synergy): 0/1 used.
Inspiring Rush: 0/1 used.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12313
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:44 am

Reaching the second floor, Darius scouted ahead to the third floor while Cullen, Duke, Rua’thil, Grumblejack and the two dogs waited behind for his return. According to the sounds heard, the wizard appeared to be awake. Those on the second floor awaited Darius’s report.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12313
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Joph » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Darius returns down the stairs to the others, mentioning to them, "I heard a voice casting an incantation up there. I believe the warden is either preparing for our arrival or practicing magic - probably best to assume the former. There are two doors there, and the voice sounded like it came from the south one." He gets ready to head back up again with his report delivered.


Darius Mini-stats | Show
Darius Talingarde
Male Lawful Evil Dhampir Antipaladin, Level 1,
Init +3, HP 10/10, Speed 30 ft.
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3,
CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
Longbow (20/20 arrows left) +4 (1d8, x3)
Longsword +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x2)
Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex)
Weapon in Hand: Longsword & Shield

Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 18
Condition None
User avatar
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:33 am

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Rua'thil » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:30 am

~ Branderscar Prison: Level 2 Warden's Tower ~

Rua’thil tilted her head to the side in a frown as she whispered, "How would he know to expect us? Hmmm."

"What I can do is start summoning the creatures before we open the door, maybe two or three. They will stay on this plane for a minute each. Then we open the door and let them charge in with the dogs and have at the Warden. We follow an finish the bastard off. Maybe he will expend his spells on them summoned creatures."

"Any disagreement or other ideas?"

Updated Map

Rua'thil Mini-Stats | Show
Init +2, Speed 30
AC 16, Tch 12, FF 14, CMD 11
HP 10/10
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +6
Spells:
Cantrips (Mage Hand, Acid Splash, Guidance, Light)
1st Level (Mage Armor, Lesser Eidolon Rejuvenation) 2/2 Remaining
Summon Monster 1: 5/6 remaining
Conditions: None

Weapons in Hand: Torch

"Fiendish Eagle" | Show
[url="http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-monster/summon-monster-1-statblocks"]Summon Monster 1 Statblocks[/url]
AC 14, HP 5/5
Attacks: Melee 2 talons +3 (1d4), bite +3(1d4)
User avatar
Rua'thil
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:20 am
Location: Golarion

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:29 am

The news from Darius causes Duke's expression to shift to a slight frown. "He might have heard us. That, or maybe there is a spell he is using that has told of our presence. I am not certain how likely that is, as Cullen spotted no magic, but it is a possibility." He crosses his arms, pondering this information.

Rua'thil's suggestion gets a nod from him. "If you're planning on at least one eagle, have that lead the charge. It is less likely that he will expect a flying creature. In case his magic can hit wide areas, I recommend the summoned creatures go a moment before the dogs. That will allow a second wave before we enter, and the dogs cannot be replaced like the summons." He steps up to where Darius and Rua'thil are, the glaive he has in hand. "Let's proceed."

Combat Map

Duke Mini-Stats | Show
Duke Knyvett
Male Lawful Evil Human Cavalier (Strategist), Level 1
Init +2, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, CMD 16
Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +0
CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus +1
Glaive +4 (1d10+4, x3)
Longsword +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x2)
Longbow (20 Arrows) +3 (1d8, x3)
Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16
Condition None
Weapons in Hand: Glaive

Abilities
Challenge: 0/1 used.
Tactician (Stealth Synergy): 0/1 used.
Inspiring Rush: 0/1 used.
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Joph » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:37 pm

~ Branderscar Prison: Level 3 Warden's Tower ~

The group climbs up the stairs, with no sounds coming from the room where chanting was previously heard. The doors are still closed on the third floor, with no sign of disturbances since Darius ascended earlier.

Updated Map
User avatar
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:33 am

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Rua'thil » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:26 am

~ Branderscar Prison: Level 3 Warden's Tower ~

Rua’thil nodded as Duke outlined the tactics.

She added in a whisper, “Okay, two eagles first. I will summon one and then the second inside the chamber about the door is open. The two can start harrying the Warden. I can keep summoning a few more and hopefully that will keep him busy until we are ready to charge in and join the fray.”

“Who is going to open the door?”


She positioned herself to the right of the door, ready to begin summoning creatures as far into the chamber as possible.

Updated Map

Rua'thil Mini-Stats | Show
Init +2, Speed 30
AC 16, Tch 12, FF 14, CMD 11
HP 10/10
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +6
Spells:
Cantrips (Mage Hand, Acid Splash, Guidance, Light)
1st Level (Mage Armor, Lesser Eidolon Rejuvenation) 2/2 Remaining
Summon Monster 1: 5/6 remaining
Conditions: None

Weapons in Hand: Torch

"Fiendish Eagle" | Show
[url="http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-monster/summon-monster-1-statblocks"]Summon Monster 1 Statblocks[/url]
AC 14, HP 5/5
Attacks: Melee 2 talons +3 (1d4), bite +3(1d4)
User avatar
Rua'thil
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:20 am
Location: Golarion

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Joph » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Darius whispers, "I can open the door. Cullen, stay beside me and I'll pretend that you're a prisoner. If the warden is waiting for us, it may distract him for just a moment." The dhampir points his longsword at the cleric, as if he were threatening him. Maybe it was a crude idea for a ruse, but it would hopefully buy them some time. He had not forgotten his previous encounter with an arcane caster, and how he had been defeated. He did not intend to make the same mistake.

spoiler: show
Move Action: Darius readies himself to open the southern door.


Darius Mini-stats | Show
Darius Talingarde
Male Lawful Evil Dhampir Antipaladin, Level 1,
Init +3, HP 10/10, Speed 30 ft.
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3,
CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
Longbow (20/20 arrows left) +4 (1d8, x3)
Longsword +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x2)
Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex)
Weapon in Hand: Longsword & Shield

Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 18
Condition None
User avatar
Joph
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:33 am

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:15 am

“Aye, let me prepare a moment.”

Cullen stood beside Darius and touched his shoulder while whispering a profane orison of Asmodeus. He did the same for himself, then for Duke.

“I am ready once the lass is.”

He intended to cast one more orison on the first eagle that appeared before the signal was given to open the door.

Actions | Show
Cast Guidance: Darius (7/10 rnds), Cullen (8/10 rnds), Duke (9/10 rnds), Fiendish Eagle (10/10 rnds)

Cullen Mini-stats | Show
Cullen Demarche
M LE Human Cleric, Level 1, Init +1, HP 10/10, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13
Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
Leather Club +2 (1d6+2 (Half Nonlethal), 20x2, WIH)
Dagger +2 (1d4+2, 19-20x2)
Mace +2 (1d8+3, x2)
Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
Weapons in Hand: Mace

Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 17, Cha 14
Condition None


Combat Information | Show
Initiative Rolls: http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread. ... ost8899796

Updated Map

Party Information:
Code: Select all
Duke:        (AC18) 13/13 HP remaining;
Rua'thil:    (AC12) 10/10 HP remaining;
  Tamarak:   (AC14) 11/11 HP remaining; (Rua'thil 9/9)
Cullen:      (AC11) 10/10 HP remaining;
Darius:      (AC19) 10/10 HP remaining;
Grumblejack: (AC13) 08/30 HP remaining;
Fiend Eagle: (AC14) 05/05 HP remaining; - Not Summoned
Conditions in Effect: None

Duke - Challenge:             1/1 Remaining
Duke - Tactician:             1/1 Remaining
Duke - Inspiring Rush:        1/1 Remaining
Rua'thil - Summon Monster 1:  4/5 Remaining
Rua'thil - 1st Level Spells:  2/2 Remaining
Cullen - 1st Level Spells:    2/3 Remaining
Cullen - Channel Neg Energy:  7/7 Remaining
Darius - Smite Good:          1/1 Remaining
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12313
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: WotW: Act 1 Prison Break [IC]

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:23 am

Darius' offer to open the door is responded to with a nod from Duke. "Do so. I will need to tell the dogs to attack when the time is right. Once the eagles have attacked and the dogs have gone in, I will proceed as well." He sees no need to take the risk of entering along with them, instead remaining near his companions to ensure he can help them if needed.

The spell from Cullen causes a small smirk to appear on Duke's face. "Interesting. You truly do have a link with the Prince of Hell." He shifts the glaive in his hands, feeling the dark power of his deity coursing through him. "Once Rua'thil is ready, open the door. I am ready." He prepares to command the dogs once the fiendish eagles have attacked.

Combat Map

Duke Mini-Stats | Show
Duke Knyvett
Male Lawful Evil Human Cavalier (Strategist), Level 1
Init +2, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, CMD 16
Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +0
CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus +1
Glaive +4 (1d10+4, x3)
Longsword +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x2)
Longbow (20 Arrows) +3 (1d8, x3)
Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16
Condition None
Weapons in Hand: Glaive

Abilities
Challenge: 0/1 used.
Tactician (Stealth Synergy): 0/1 used.
Inspiring Rush: 0/1 used.
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Next

Return to Way of the Wicked [PF]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest