WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Moderator: PMiller

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Gavin Ricker » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Gavin watches the group from the end of the bar. He notices the man in scale mail glance at him, returning the slight nod with one of his own. Watching the dialogue between the barkeep and the man in scale mail, Gavin sees them pointing to a room on the far side of the bar and the exchange of coin. Steeling himself for what is next, Gavin makes his way over to the door of the dining room, waiting for the group to make their way over.
The energy of the universe is all around us. You just have to know how to harness it and hurl a giant fireball at your enemies.

Gavin Ricker
User avatar
Gavin Ricker
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Darrak Sharak » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:52 am

As he heads towards the private room that Veric arranged, Darrak cannot help but notice the man that followed them in is standing nearby the doorway.

Stopping up short, he nudges Veric. He says quietly, "Caw, you know him? Caw" The tengu had put his javelin away once they entered the tavern, but his hand is not too far away from his weapons, just in case.

spoiler: show
AC: 17 (14tch/13ff)
HP: 9/9 remaining
Conditions: Point Blank Shot

Weapon in Hand: Nothing
Javelins: 2/2 remaining; Javelin (+4; 1d6+2)
Abilities: Sneak Attack +1d6
User avatar
Darrak Sharak
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:31 pm
Location: Sharn

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Veric » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:46 am

Veric shook his head to Darrak "Nah."

After Darrak mentioned the fellow, Veric noted the stranger's re-positioning.

Seems a good place for dropping ease. Could be one of Dartchek's...

Making his way to the door, he stops short a few feet, looking to Gavin with a neutral expression, eyeing him more carefully.

"Hail. If you're looking to use that room there, we've already booked it for a while, I'm afraid." He smiles thinly, his posture guarded and stiff.
User avatar
Veric
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 am

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Gavin Ricker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:49 pm

When the man in scale mail walks up, Gavin notices that his body language is very guarded. Keeping his hands well away from his weapons he replies "Actually, I was hoping that mayhap I could join you. I was told by the rather plump bartender at the Wayfarer's Society that you might need an extra set of swords, and I could certainly use a little extra gold right about now." Looking the man in the eyes, he tries to glean any insight on whether this whole deal was about to go south or not. I hope these guys aren't to paranoid about taking on a newcomer. His whole body is tense in anticipation, ready to spring into action should need be.
The energy of the universe is all around us. You just have to know how to harness it and hurl a giant fireball at your enemies.

Gavin Ricker
User avatar
Gavin Ricker
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Tramon Pegason » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:35 am

Tramon was wary; giving the newcomer a scrutinizing look. Tramon had a feeling that the others suspected what he was thinking: that this man could be a from Dartchek's gang, come to keep an eye them, or worse, stab them in the back when the time came. "If you'll forgive us for being a little wary of newcomers, then perhaps you can answer a simple question. One that will prove you are in fact from the wayfarer's society." Tramon paused, thinking for a moment. "What was the name and race of the barmaid at the Wayfarer Society's hall?" Tramon hoped this would serve to prove that this man had at least traveled to the Wayfarer's Society. Real trust would be won over time, and maybe after a few battles fought together. Tramon watched the newcomer closely, trying to make sure he didn't full a fast one on them.

spoiler: show
Sense Motive check on Gavin to tell if he is trying to deceive them, 1d20+6=11
User avatar
Tramon Pegason
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:04 am

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Veric » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Veric seemed to ease with Gavin's explanation. Dartchek's gang seemed to favor more direct attempts on our lives, and we could use the help.

Even still, he waited for the man to answer Tramon's question before getting on with formalities.

What was that barmaid's name. I don't think I ever asked.
User avatar
Veric
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 am

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Gavin Ricker » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Looking at the man in monk's clothing, Gavin pulls a sealed envelope out of his belt pouch. It carries the official seal of the Wayfarer's Society and is signed. "I was told to give you this as proof I am here on Wayfarer's business. Katrina, the half elf bar maid, gave it to me," he replies as he holds the letter out.
The energy of the universe is all around us. You just have to know how to harness it and hurl a giant fireball at your enemies.

Gavin Ricker
User avatar
Gavin Ricker
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Tramon Pegason » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Tramon smiled as Gavin pulled out the envelope from his pouch. Excellent...an ally from the Society Tramon looked up at Gavin and offered his hand to shake. "Sorry for our suspicions; we were attacked by a gang earlier and we have reason to believe they may come after us again. My name is Tramon, what do we call you?' Tramon paused as Gavin introduced himself. Continuing he said, "If you don't mind, we should examine this note in our room." Tramon moved with the others into the room, taking to note from Gavin, he opened and read its contents:

To Whom it May Concern;

The job pertaining to the debt currently owned by Mickey Bartlett is no longer your concern. We have received important intelligence telling us that the coliseum battle you are scheduled to fight in is a death trap. The combatants you were supposed to face have told to kill you by making it look like an accident. We do not believe Bartlett will pay us by any conventional methods, so instead we are deeming it necessary to keep an eye on him for the time being. This job is being assigned to the Tengu by the name of Darrak Sharrak, whom we have decided is best suited for this job as it will require both guile and stealth. Do not worry young Tengu, you will be paid well and will be aided by a contact we have within the arena. While the Tengu keeps an eye on Bartlett, the rest of you will be attending to a much more important matter.

You are too return to the Wayfarer's Society Chapter House. Once at the Chapter House you will be informed of your new assignment. Needless to say it is of much greater urgency that this matter be attended to than the job you are currently on. Make your way back to the House as quickly as possible, and do not interact with Bartlett any further.

-Maylor Jacobson, Chairman of the Wayfarer's Society Council


Tramon glanced around the group as he concluded reading the note. Setting it down on the table he spoke slowly at first. "This certainly complicates things to a great degree. I am also curious as to what could be considered so urgent we are to report back immediately. I also don't know how I feel about leaving you with that scum Bartlett, Darrak. How do the rest of you feel about all this?"
User avatar
Tramon Pegason
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:04 am

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Veric » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:09 am

Dressed in scalemail armor with some small splatterings of blood here and there, the rather plain looking man grinned at Gavin through dirt and heavy stubble. A heavy mace hung from his belt, fixed there by a leather thong, and his shoulders were hugged by a brown traveling cloak, still heavy with road dust.

"I'm called Veric Moss, we're not in a position to turn down an extra hand, let alone a set of swords."

Having sat and listened to Tramon's reciting of the message, Veric leaned back thoughtfully for a moment, nodding slowly.
Well, that's a switch. Glad he found us in time for the delivery.

"I'd rather keep you with us, Darrak, but it's not my decision. Whatever you choose to do, know that it's been good having you watch our backs and share in our blood and sweat through this ordeal."
User avatar
Veric
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 am

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Darrak Sharak » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:56 am

Taking a look at the note, Darrak shrugs. He doesn't look upset in the slightest.

Not needing to introduce himself, he says, "Caw, this I can do. Somebody needs to do it and I am able. I can enlist some of the local tengu to help, perhaps. Caw"

The tengu is actually glad about not having to fight in the arena. Too much attention would have him noticed wherever he went afterwards. But only if they won, losing would have been unthinkable. Definitely a lose, lose proposition and he is glad that it was avoided.

spoiler: show
AC: 17 (14tch/13ff)
HP: 9/9 remaining
Conditions: Point Blank Shot

Weapon in Hand: Nothing
Javelins: 2/2 remaining; Javelin (+4; 1d6+2)
Abilities: Sneak Attack +1d6
User avatar
Darrak Sharak
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:31 pm
Location: Sharn

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Tramon Pegason » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 am

Tramon thought for a few moments before replying. "Well Darrak if you are willing to do this then I cannot stop you. I personally don't like it, but if it is what must be done then we shall do it. In that case, we should move quickly before Bartlett notices we are skipping out on him and he comes looking for us with some hired thugs." Tramon moved to exit the room, waiting for anyone else to say anything more. If not he leaves with the rest of the group, but not before saying a final goodbye to Darrak.
User avatar
Tramon Pegason
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:04 am

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 am

The tengu rogue waves a farewell and slips out the back of the tavern, not even bothering to take a share of the gold earned. Veric and Tramon exit out the front with the messenger, Gavin and they hustle their way through the streets.

After 15 minutes, they are waling in through the door to the Chapter House and Katrina waves them over to a booth, informing them that the Chairman will be down shortly to explain. While you wait, Veric and Tramon divvy up the money from the items they salvaged from the gang that attacked them earlier. It comes out to 103 gold coins each.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12048
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby Maylor Jacobson » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:50 am

With his spurs jangling, Maylor Jacobson heads towards your booth, "Good afternoon. For those I haven't met, I am Maylor Jacobson. Chairman of the Wayfarer's Society Council."

"I see that you all made it back in one piece."
His appraising eyes look at each one in turn, they are cold and serious. "I appreciate that your investigation was progressing, but I could not have you killed in the arena today. Here is some gold as compensation for your troubles and any lost of face you might have incurred."

He hand Veric and Tramon each a purse that contains about 300 gold coins in it.

"I have something much more important for you work on instead."

"One of our own has been kidnapped. A Society member named Cestis was taken just days ago from a relics auction in the Theissia Naval Shipyards, and we believe his disappearance to be related to the six dozen or so kidnappings of the last several months. Now that one of our own is missing, this has become a Society matter, something we’ll get to the bottom of."

"I have some others working this as well, but you three should follow up on these leads and report back what you find in the morning."


He hands you a slip of paper with a few places to investigate. But the number of them, it looks like it will take the rest of the afternoon.
Wayfarer Society Chairman
User avatar
Maylor Jacobson
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:08 pm
Location: Theissia

Re: WS Grp C: The Bartlet Situation [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:23 am

Following up on the list of places takes a while, you trudge back and forth over the city and check the abandoned buildings on the list. All prove to be empty. Asking around proved fruitless as well, nobody saw anything suspicious.

By evening, you are all weary and beginning to think that you have been chasing wild geese. Hungry and parched, you head back to the Chapter House and report in.

Karina ensures you are fed and finds some cots in one of the common sleeping rooms for you rest in overnight. Word is that another group was having better luck and the Chairman is hoping to learn something by morning on the situation.

You turn in after hearing some sea stories and tales, courtesy Drake Searider, a Wayfarer Councilman and Sea Captain.

Image

The next morning you are eating breakfast in the tap room, waiting to receive new marching orders after you finish breaking your fast.

OOC: Story is continued here: viewtopic.php?f=399&t=6114&p=231162#p231162
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12048
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Previous

Return to Group C Threads - DM: PMiller

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron