WS Grp B: OOC Thread

Moderators: Herzog, PMiller

Re: WS Grp B: OOC Thread

Postby PMiller » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:59 am

Take care, Shmoog. We will be here when you return.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:40 am

Alright, I head out tomorrow for a few nights stay in the wonderfully small island of Saipan. Staying in a Pacific Islands Club hotel. Last time I stayed at one of those places, they only had WiFi available in the lobby, but I was able to find a couch to sit and post some with my laptop. So I might be running silent and dark for a few days since the situation is unknown.
Aasimar Paladin: Sierra
Sierra
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Shmoogie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:20 am

I'm back! Yay!
Not having internet feels like drowning.
Shmoogie
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby Frakas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:16 am

I'm going out of town for the weekend but I should be back on Monday.
Frakas
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Sierra » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:46 pm

No worries. Since we are dungeon crawling, it is easy to just assume Frakas is maintaining position.

I am back to having 3G service, able to use phone now. I should be catching up everywhere this weekend.
Sierra
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Frakas » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 am

We may be getting close to another ride-by-attack
Any new developments on the rules -o- omnipotent one?

Sierra wrote:
Rules on Charging wrote:You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). You must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge. If any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge.

This is what is confusing me on the Ride-by-Attack. According to this, you cannot charge through the target. But, Ride-by-attack (Not ride though attack) doesn't seem to care that you are going through an obstacle. Nor does it specify what AoOs you are getting to ignore. I am not sure you can ignore the AoO for the ogre's reach, but you get to ignore the AoO from moving past the target.

After looking at the Ride Skill, maybe you can use that to initiate the charge for free, instead of Handle Animal. Looks to be unclear, since directing a mount is not the same as ordering them to charge in some people's minds.

Hmmm, we need some rules-fu on this. Fortunately, we have time before it will come into play again. I will ask some knowledgeable people for more opinions.
Frakas
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:41 am

Crap, I don't think I got an answer on this. Then I forgot. Asking again.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:24 am

Here's the answer I got. The feat is not very helpful maybe, unless you kill your opponent.
GlassEye wrote:First, Charge clearly states 'you must move to the closest space'. In most cases, when counting out movement, there is only one option that qualifies for closest space.

The key point for Ride-by Attack is 'continuing the straight line of the charge'. If this straight line passes through the target's square then you can't use Ride-by Attack without also performing an overrun.

And the key phrase for Overrun is 'during your move or as part of a charge', so you can use overrun with a charge and ride-by attack (and imo would be required to use overrun with ride-by attack).

For me there is a bit of ambiguity concerning how to draw the straight line of the charge particularly when the target is not on an exact diagonal. In those off cases it looks to me like the line of the charge could actually pass by the target without going through the target's square. When that happens I think you could charge & ride-by attack without the need to use overrun.

In your 5 ft. hallway example your option is limited. If you want to use ride-by attack you have to also use overrun. No freebies; you have to follow the rules for all of the options used.

Charge lines A, C, & F can Ride-by Attack without using Overrun. Lines B, D, & E require the use of Overrun.

re: the Sleep wand. Yes, DC12 is what I think as well.

It is also a 1 Round casting time, IIRC. That means you need a Full Round Action to cast, triggering it on the following round.

Realistically, you can do this split up, I think.
Round 1 Move Action draws the wand
Standard Action begins the casting trigger
Round two costs a Move Action to complete, then Viktor can target it based on the new enemy locations.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Sierra » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:29 am

mfloyd3 wrote:Rolling bow attack, and dmg (w/sneak attack) for a hit. (1d20+3,2d6=[1, 3], [1, 6])

EDIT: I think I botched the IC format, but it looks like I got a 1 on the d20 so I didn't want to reroll. Sorry about the confusion. Please roll for me if the above is unclear.

Yep, you botched it. :wink: You need to put the roll as "1d20+3; 2d6". If you use the semi-colon to separate the rolls, then it works like you want.

Btw, the combat spoiler block is for all your OOC stuff so only the IC text is outside it. :wink:
I edited it for you.
Sierra
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Frakas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 am

I've got a question on the image, if we just did a simple charge would charging from B2 to E1 be accepted? To my novice mind if I wanted to charge opponent #1 E2 would be the spot I would have to end up at. What if I did a charge with overrun and my partner was in E2, could I charge to E1 then overrun the opponent in F2?
I don't want to be a PITA and tie up everyone's time with this. So I'm good with everything, I'll just drop this feat at my next chance since I don't see it being able to use very often.

Admin-PMiller wrote:Here's the answer I got. The feat is not very helpful maybe, unless you kill your opponent.
GlassEye wrote:First, Charge clearly states 'you must move to the closest space'. In most cases, when counting out movement, there is only one option that qualifies for closest space.

The key point for Ride-by Attack is 'continuing the straight line of the charge'. If this straight line passes through the target's square then you can't use Ride-by Attack without also performing an overrun.

And the key phrase for Overrun is 'during your move or as part of a charge', so you can use overrun with a charge and ride-by attack (and imo would be required to use overrun with ride-by attack).

For me there is a bit of ambiguity concerning how to draw the straight line of the charge particularly when the target is not on an exact diagonal. In those off cases it looks to me like the line of the charge could actually pass by the target without going through the target's square. When that happens I think you could charge & ride-by attack without the need to use overrun.

In your 5 ft. hallway example your option is limited. If you want to use ride-by attack you have to also use overrun. No freebies; you have to follow the rules for all of the options used.

Charge lines A, C, & F can Ride-by Attack without using Overrun. Lines B, D, & E require the use of Overrun.

re: the Sleep wand. Yes, DC12 is what I think as well.

It is also a 1 Round casting time, IIRC. That means you need a Full Round Action to cast, triggering it on the following round.

Realistically, you can do this split up, I think.
Round 1 Move Action draws the wand
Standard Action begins the casting trigger
Round two costs a Move Action to complete, then Viktor can target it based on the new enemy locations.
Frakas
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Sierra » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 am

Because you are not technically violating the rules of charge, by taking advantage of the placement of the grid squares, yes a charge from B2 to E1 would be correct. However with the lance attack, it would be from D2.

All three squares E1, E2, E3 are the closest squares (a tie) so technically it appears to be okay. So a Ride-by-attack would work for that scenario, assuming the path of the charge doesn't run through difficult terrain or other hampering things after moving past E1.
Sierra
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Sierra » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:12 am

I am going to wait on Viktor's Sleep and the results. Sierra will want to attack the one that makes a save.
Sierra
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Frakas » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Yeah that's a good idea, Frakas will wait also.
Frakas
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Viktor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Drawing a wand as a move action...

Is it not exactly the same, since the positions of the wand are at his belt, as drawing a weapon (also a move action)? If so, would you not be able to draw a wand like a weapon as part of a move action, once you have a BAB of +1? If the wand was stored away or the like that is different, that is a whole other action of retrieving an item.
Viktor
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sierra » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Viktor wrote:Drawing a wand as a move action...

Is it not exactly the same, since the positions of the wand are at his belt, as drawing a weapon (also a move action)? If so, would you not be able to draw a wand like a weapon as part of a move action, once you have a BAB of +1? If the wand was stored away or the like that is different, that is a whole other action of retrieving an item.

Actually, I don't think I was arguing that part of it.

Referring to drawing the wand as a Move Action combined with actual movement or by itself. I think it is reasonable to treat a wand as a weapon in terms of drawing and sheathing, makes sense. :)
Sierra
Adventurer
Adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to Group B Threads - DM: Spiritmarked