WS: Back at the Chapter House [IC]

Moderators: Herzog, PMiller

WS: Back at the Chapter House [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:16 am

*** Enter Kendre and Garm ***

The sea breeze blows in from the west as you stand outside the two story building that overlooks the cliffs in the western side of Theissia. The windows are open, their shutters aside to let the light and fresh breeze flow inside.

The gilded sign above the door is embossed with styled letters to read, "The Wayfarer's Society." The word around town is that adventurers should visit the tavern to learn of rumors and local news that might prove useful for those in that line of work. Patrons that have need to hire such people, know that the Society deals with quests, missions, and situations where the skilled professionals can learn of those opportunities to prove themselves as heroes, helping the towns' notable personages with these problems that plague them.

The Society is governed by a council of five, all former adventurers, that take in the calls to arms and coordinate the dispatch of wayfarers to deal with them. No job is too small, particularly since novice adventurers are numerous.

The plumb, friendly looking half-elf barmaid smiles and welcomes you into the tavern and points out tables and places at the bar for you to sit down and enjoy the atmosphere while drinking either ale or wine.

:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Re: WS: Back at the Chapter House [IC]

Postby kendre » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 am

Taking a seat at the bar, Kendre looks around and takes stock of the patrons around the bar. Plucking some gold coins from somewhere inside his large jacket, he places them on the table and motions for a drink.

More folks than I thought... At least there aren't any kobolds in here. Yet.

Tapping his fingers on the table, he calls to the barmaid, "Wine if you will, ma'am." As he says this, he makes sure to keep an eye out for anyone looking to get a bit too close to him and his coin.

spoiler: show
1d20+6: 11 (Invisible Castle Roll linked to roll)
Kendre M. Verath,
Urban Guide and Professional Invader of Privacy

External Contact Information | Show
Skype Addy: alchiehiroma
Xbox Gamertag: SoaringJaguar13
kendre
Villager
Villager

Postby Garm » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:05 am

Garm enters the Chapter House eagerly - he has been on the road for almost a tenday, and the prospect of a cold, or at least cool, ale is inviting. He wanders in, casting an approving eye over the interior and its patrons, then settles down on a bar stool next to a tall human in a long leather jacket who is nursing a glass of wine.

"An ale, if you please, my dear", he rumbles as he catches the barmaid's eye, then shoves some coins onto the bar. As the ale arrives, he takes a deep drink, then lets out a sigh of satisfaction. Looking around, he sees numerous other patrons engaged in friendly banter, excited conversation and (in some cases) heavy drinking. And some dark deeds as well, I have no doubt! Best remain vigilant for now!

With that thought, he starts to slowly look around more carefully, trying to determine whether anyone is paying particular attention to him.
spoiler: show
Garm's initial Perception check: _: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
Last edited by Garm on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Garm
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:46 am

The barmaid gets your drinks and takes your money with a smile and bounce in her step that makes her pig tales dance around as she moves through the tap room.

GM Note on dice rolls | Show
Please use the exact BBCode link Invisible Castle provides. This requires an Account at Invis Castle to add. Notes section of the Dice Roll should list exactly what the roll is for and the target designated (ie. "Bite vs. Orc 4") in the block that is provided when you are logged in. Including any variable modifiers that make the bonuses different than normal such as flanking, Point Blank Shot, or Penalty for firing into Melee. This is a good example: This is a good example: [url="http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4172743/"]Spiked Chain vs. Orc 4 (Kn Dev & -2/+4 PA) (1d20+11=12, 2d4+10=14)[/url].
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Garm » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:31 am

Satisfied that no one is obviously paying attention to him, Garm attempts to start a conversation with the human next to him.

"Apologies, good sir, but I am a stranger to these parts. Are you a regular visitor here? It seems like a good place to pick up rumours and work!"
Last edited by Garm on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garm
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby kendre » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Turning to face the dwarf seated next to him, Kendre inclines his head, "You'll hear no complaints from me, Sir...?"

Didn't expect to be making 'friends' so soon...
Kendre M. Verath,

kendre
Villager
Villager

Postby Garm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:25 am

"Garm Yrgrimsun is my name," Garm says, looking over his fellow patron, "forge-servant of the Father of Creation, at your service!" He takes another swig from his ale. "And you are ... ? Is that wagon outside yours perchance?"

OOC | Show
Garm is describing himself as a priest of Torag, the main dwarven deity
Garm
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby kendre » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:12 am

Listening to Garm speak, Ken nods his head at the dwarf's name, responding "Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Garm. May I call you Garm? People call me Ken, and that is indeed my wagon. Closest thing to a home I have."

Taking a sip of his wine, he waits for the dwarf to respond.

{OOC} | Show
Gotcha. I assume that would be relatively public knowledge to non-dwarves?
Kendre M. Verath,

kendre
Villager
Villager

Postby Garm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:18 am

Garm nods as Ken describes his wagon. "By all means, call me Garm! I gather yours is a travelling life then? Very sensible, to always be able to seek out new lands in some comfort! I myself have trusted to my own two feet so far, which is more than some back home would ever do..." He chuckles to himself in his beard, as if enjoying a private joke. "Well then, what brings you here, Master Ken? I presume you are also here looking for opportunities for fame and fortune? I myself was hoping to get a chance to see some of the local cave systems in the area, Torag willing, as they are meant to be most beautiful. It is always good to follow new tunnels if you have a big enough hammer, after all."
Garm
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby kendre » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:14 am

Taking a quick peek at your warhammer, Ken smirks slightly. "That doesn't look much like a mining tool, although I'm no miner. Think you'll find some gold in these caves?" Throwing Garm a knowing wink, "I'm always in the market for exciting work."
Kendre M. Verath,

kendre
Villager
Villager

Postby Garm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:06 am

"Most perceptive of you", Garm smiles, briefly grabbing the shaft of his warhammer. "But rock is not the only obstacle in the depths, and it is then that this kind of tool becomes useful. As for gold and gems, there may be some strewn along my path, if Torag wills it, but truth be told, the beauty of the depths is what drives me - that and the task of recovering tunnels long lost to my people, and protecting them from whatever has since come to occupy them. Although gems and gold, if stumbled upon, should clearly be kept safe lest evil comes upon them afterwards." Smiling, he looks carefully at Ken. "What about yourself, then, Master Ken? What might be your field of expertise?"
Garm
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby kendre » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:21 am

Regarding Garm with a cheerful smile, Ken says "I specialize in the navigation of more civilized locales. I've a talent for locating things, as well." He takes another sip of his wine before regarding his wagon, "If you're interested, I've been seeking someone to aid me in more dangerous tasks. You're welcome to join up with me. Wheels trump legs, my stout little friend."
Kendre M. Verath,

kendre
Villager
Villager

Postby Garm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:49 am

"For just this once, I will let that slip", Garm chuckles. "Although it is, after all, written that insulting a dwarf is the best way to have one's kneecaps removed... but enough of that! I have no objection to travelling awhile in your company - you seem a sensible sort of fellow, albeit with a foolhardy tongue. What dangerous tasks are you talking about? Does it involve exploration and discovery, or something darker? I'll warn you, I won't be engaging in overtly illegal activity, of course, Torag forbid." He winks at Ken, as if to say "We shall have to see what is defined as 'illegal' around here".
Garm
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:39 pm

The barmaid comes around and mentions the day's special. Some hearty stew with meat and vegetables called 'Adventurer's Stew', but often called "Rat's Stew" when she calls into the kitchen to place an order.

GM Note | Show
We are having an OOC discussion that you might want to follow or have input on. Say hello in the OOC thread:
http://www.unlimitedrpgs.com/forums2/vi ... 43#p243543
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby kendre » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Ken grins widely as he comments, "Ah, but when did I insult you? I'm sure halflings would love to be as stout as a dwarf! And if it was being little, why... Why would one wish to be tall? Overt, obvious, lanky. Nay, better to be small, where an arrow is less likely to plant itself in your skull."

Still grinning, he takes another sip of his wine as he studies his new companion, saying "Well, for some dangerous activities, I may simply ask you to keep an eye on the wagon, then." His grin widens a bit further as he takes a final sip of his wine before continuing, "And if, by chance, there was to be some nefarious activities occurring in these caves of yours, I would be happy to lend my services. Tripwires, trapholes, and trying tribulations of all sorts may await, and that is primarily where my skills lie.

Tapping the bar to get the barmaid's attention, he calls "Two stews, a wine and another ale for my friend." Turning back to Garm, he finishes speaking "If this sounds like a decent work arrangement for you, you can put your things in the wagon. Three rules, though. Don't touch my chest. Don't touch the chains holding my chest in place. And don't touch the locks on either. Aside from that, feel free to stow your gear."

RE: Gm's Note | Show
Will do!
Kendre M. Verath,

kendre
Villager
Villager

Next

Return to Group A Threads - DM: PMiller