WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Moderators: Herzog, PMiller

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Aura » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 am

Zeldana sighs following Gaius' suggestion on riding doubled up. "If we must," she begins, obviously not enthusiastic about the idea. "The reason seems good, but I'm the one people will talk unkindly about for showing up on the back of a man's horse like that. Perhaps they will be too worried about the looming threat to concern themselves with their biases." Looking over to Strat, she adds, "Nothing against you, just... people can be mean." With that, Zeldana makes sure she's got everything accounted for and is ready to travel.


Stat Block | Show
Zeldana Autumn LeVane
Female NG Human (Varisian) Sorcerer (Sage)
Level 4, Init 2, HP 33/33, Speed 30'
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14
Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
Abilities Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 12
Conditions None
Items Dropped None
Spells slots used: 5x1st
User avatar
Aura
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Gaius » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Gaius waved away the concern and was serious, "Oh, pshaw."

"Twould not be a rarity to see two people sharing a horse when a group has too few mounts to go around. Besides, before we arrive in town we have to cross the river using the ferry and we shall all dismount anyway."

"Think nothing of appearances... and if there is talk, I am sure I can set them straight," he added with some steel in his tone.


Actions | Show
Mounted

Gaius Mini-stats | Show
Perception +9, Speed 30 (20 actual)
AC 22(24), Touch 12, Flat-footed 20 (+1 Platemail) +2 w/Shield, CMD: 21
Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +3
HP 57 Current: 41
Challenge: 1/2 available
Tactician (Shake it Off): 1/1 available
Inspiring Rush: 1/1 available
Conditions in effect:

Weapon in Hand: Spiked Gauntlet (RH)
Justiel Mini-Stats | Show
Perception +6, Speed 50ft
AC 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 20, CMD: 19
Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +2
HP 47 Current: 18

Attacks: 2xHooves (+4; 1d6+5), Bite (+3; 1d4+5) w/Power Attack
Gaius
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Garm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:22 pm

"Alright, if we are ready..."

Seeing that departure was imminent, Garm gently nudged Gravel forward, towards the keep's main gate. He halted while still within the broad doorway and stared out quietly. His eye took in the the gentle slope of the hill towards the woodland's edge and the road back to civilisation. All seemed quiet, but Garm took no chances, keeping a careful lookout until the others joined him on their way out.

Actions/Rolls | Show
Free Action:
Swift Action:
Move Action : Ride to gate of keep, then halt.
Standard Action: Take 10 on Perception check (15)


Combat Information | Show
Garm
Current AC: 16 (16 Flat-footed /10 Touch) INIT +0
Current HP: 21/42 remaining.
Current Weapon in Hand: Heavy crossbow
Ammo: 45 bolts
Conditions in effect: Darkvision 60ft
Spells: Detect Magic 0/1, Guidance 0/1, Read Magic 0/1, Stabilize 2/1, Cure Light Wounds 1/1, Sanctuary 0/1, Shield of Faith 1/1, Detect Evil 1/1, Entropic Shield 1/1, Create Pit 1/1, Summon Monster II 1/1, Consecrate 1/1.
Special abilities: Acid Dart 2/7, Resistant Touch 0/7, Channel Positive energy 3/3
User avatar
Garm
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Strat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Strat took in Zeldana’s story about the minnows and the box turtle. It was so far away from anything he’d experienced that it was hard to picture such a thing. He shook his head.

“Well, I’ll never be able to look at turtles the same way again. Minnows either, for that matter.”

He eyed Gaius, then sighed.

“Nice one, Gaius. Good way to make our new friend feel comfortable.”

He turned to Zeldana.

“Hey, whatever you’re comfortable with, okay? I can be the one to ride on the back, if you’d rather.”

spoiler: show
Swift Action: None.
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None..

Strat’s Mini-Stats | Show
Initiative: +1, Perception: +12
Armor Class: AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 16, +1 Chain shirt, Ring of Protection +1
Fort: +4, Ref: +6, Will: +7, CMD: 17
Hit Points: 41 Current: 21
Archaeologist's Luck (+3): 12/15 available
Cantrips: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Message, Prestidigitation
1st Level Spells: 2/5 available (CLW, Grease, Hideous Laughter, Vanish)
2nd Level Spells: 0/3 available (CMW, Glitterdust, Silence)
Conditions in effect: Trap Spotter
Weapon in Hand: Longspear

Mount's Mini-Stats | Show
Light Horse
Initiative: +2 , Perception: +6 (low-light vision, scent), Move: 50ft (35ft Actual)
Armor Class: AC 14, touch 11, flat-footed 9 (+2 Dex, -1 size), MWK Studded Leather Barding
Fort: +6, Ref: +5, Will: +1 , CMD: 17 (21 vs. trip)
Hit Points: 15 Current: 15
Conditions in effect: n/a
Attacks: Melee 2 hooves +3 (1d4+1)
User avatar
Strat
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:28 am

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Aura » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:42 am

The sorceress does not seem very comforted by either of the men's words. With a bit of resignation, Zeldana admits, "Thanks for the thought, Strat, but I'd be hard pressed to control a horse properly without a fair amount of remedial practice. I would not want to expose anyone past myself up to that level of incompetence." With that, she is ready to go, and does her best to participate in the horseback ride with as little further fuss as possible, although her inexperience with horses does turn out to be true.


Stat Block | Show
Zeldana Autumn LeVane
Female NG Human (Varisian) Sorcerer (Sage)
Level 4, Init 2, HP 33/33, Speed 30'
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14
Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
Abilities Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 12
Conditions None
Items Dropped None
Spells slots used: 5x1st
User avatar
Aura
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Gaius » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Gaius looked over as Strat and Zeldana were sorting out the arrangements on riding the horse. “If it were comfort of most concern, then I should think she’d not want you to mount from behind.”

Justiel snorted with a sound that could have been amusement, or maybe he was just happy to get going instead of jabbering about all day.

“Let us depart this place and make haste of our return to the town,” the cavalier said as he turned his destrier toward the open gate as they all were mounted and heading out.


Actions | Show
Mounted

Gaius Mini-stats | Show
Perception +9, Speed 30 (20 actual)
AC 22(24), Touch 12, Flat-footed 20 (+1 Platemail) +2 w/Shield, CMD: 21
Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +3
HP 57 Current: 41
Challenge: 1/2 available
Tactician (Shake it Off): 1/1 available
Inspiring Rush: 1/1 available
Conditions in effect:

Weapon in Hand: Spiked Gauntlet (RH)
Justiel Mini-Stats | Show
Perception +6, Speed 50ft
AC 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 20, CMD: 19
Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +2
HP 47 Current: 18

Attacks: 2xHooves (+4; 1d6+5), Bite (+3; 1d4+5) w/Power Attack
Gaius
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Kriger » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 am

Kirger mounted up on his horse and nudged towards the others. They were already starting to drift towards the ruined gate of the keep. Soon they would all be on their way.

"Right, I would be more worried about them wondering what happened to Katya then you riding doubles."

That was a somber thought as the ranger looked back towards the forest. They had set the deceased woman's mount free. He wondered if the beast mourned like the rest of them.

"No matter. Any lip and we will set them straight."

"Now...let's ride and carry the word of impending threat."

With that, the ranger nudge his horse into motion and headed out of the keep.

actions | Show
Free Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:


Kriger Mini-stats | Show
Init +4, Speed 30ft
AC 20 , 21 with buckler Tch 13, FF 19 , CMD 21
HP 25/46
Fort+7 , Ref +7 , Will +3
Conditions: None
Weapon in Hand:
Kriger, Adventurer's of Golarion
User avatar
Kriger
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:13 am

~ Day 16, 16:50 – West Bank of Drellin’s Ferry ~

~ Returning to town ~The group had concluded their preparations for departure and left the conquered keep behind. They sent off the dead sorceress on her elk, letting the forest reclaim their own as they knew of no next of kin for the woman in the day they had known her.

Following the pace set by the prancing destrier as he and his cavalier led the procession back to Drellin’s Ferry, the trip through the woods to the Dawn Way trade road was quick. Once back on the road the group could ride two abreast and still make good time. They crossed the bridge again without any further incident; the dead carcass of the hydra remained in place attracting flies and other vermin.

Two hours later the road brought them within sight of the ferry and the town across the river. There were three buildings on the near side, Gausler’s Brewhouse, a warehouse, and Sterrel’s Provisioning. Sterrel’s place was obviously used to catering to the caravan trade up the Dawn Way, but business was slow. There were riding mounts and tack for sale.

The ferry boat was attached to two enormously thick ropes that spanned across the river affixed to a huge wooden capstan. There was a capstan on each side, but only the one on the other side (town side) was in use with a team draft horses attached. Likely the danger from the Witchwood had reduced traveling enough that the ferry is only using one boat.

Map of the Witchwood | Show
Image

Map of Drellins Ferry | Show
Image


Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Kriger:      40/46 HP remaining; 1 Str Dmg;
 Horse:      05/16 HP remaining;
Garm:        28/32 HP remaining;
Strat:       41/41 HP remaining;
 Horse:      04/15 HP remaining;
Gaius:       53/57 HP remaining;
 Justiel:    18/47 HP remaining;
Zeldana:     33/33 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: None
Special Abilities:
Code: Select all
Garm Spells Remaining:          1st level (2/5), 2nd Level (3/4)
Garm Channel Energy Remaining:  0/3
Garm Acid Dart Remaining:       5/6
Garm Resistant Touch remaining: 6/6
Strat Spells Remaining:         1st level (3/5), 2nd level (1/3)
Strat's Arch Luck Remaining:    14/17
Gaius Abilities Remaining:      Tactician (1/1), Challenge (2/2), Inspired Charge (1/1)
Zeldana Spells Remaining:       1st Level (3/7), 2nd Level (4/4)
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12342
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Aura » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:09 am

Gaius' words before the trip cause Zeldana to issue a sigh, but it is Kriger who provides the show stopper. With his commentary on Katya, she student of magic can only nod in agreement. However, she offers no words on the subject, looking off towards the forest where Bugle had carried her, than back.

The ride to Drellins Ferry is short, but with the leaving of the place of her ordeal, the nervous energy which was driving Zeldana gives out. Halfway through the trip, she is slumped forward against Strat's back. Arrival on the outskirts of town does a little to perk her up, straightening back up and looking over the town as the group enters. Sliding off the horse, Zeldana offers thanks to Strat, albeit in a low voice meant only for him. After a little pacing to get the feeling back in her legs, she points out the Sterrel's, where horses were available for sale, to the rest of the group before heading over there.

Actions | Show
Check out the horse dealer and prices. I'm pretty sure my 40-ish gold leaves me short, but it's good to know what is available ahead of the likely doling out of some funds.

Stat Block | Show
Zeldana Autumn LeVane
Female NG Human (Varisian) Sorcerer (Sage)
Level 4, Init 2, HP 33/33, Speed 30'
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14
Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
Abilities Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 12
Conditions None
Items Dropped None
Spells slots used: 5x1st
User avatar
Aura
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Garm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Garm heaved a heartfelt sigh of relief when the outer buildings of Drellins Ferry came into view before sunset. The trip back from the ruined keep had been uneventful and swift, but he had spent lots of time anxiously peering over his shoulder for imagined hobgoblin hordes on their trail. He was glad to be back in the relative safety of town again.

While Zeldana started to investigate the available horses at Sterrel's, he nudged Gravel into a slow walk and approached the ferry capstan, looking for the gruff ferryman who had brought them to this bank of the river early that same morning. It was hard to believe all this had happened in a single day.

"Oho!", he called out across the water, not immediately noticing anyone involved with the ferry nearby, "Master ferryman! Please come and put us across! We have returned, with news for Captain Anitah and Speaker Wiston!"

Actions/Rolls | Show
Free Action:
Swift Action:
Move Action :
Standard Action:


Combat Information | Show
Garm
Current AC: 16 (16 Flat-footed /10 Touch) INIT +0
Current HP: 21/42 remaining.
Current Weapon in Hand: Heavy crossbow
Ammo: 45 bolts
Conditions in effect: Darkvision 60ft
Spells: Detect Magic 0/1, Guidance 0/1, Read Magic 0/1, Stabilize 2/1, Cure Light Wounds 1/1, Sanctuary 0/1, Shield of Faith 1/1, Detect Evil 1/1, Entropic Shield 1/1, Create Pit 1/1, Summon Monster II 1/1, Consecrate 1/1.
Special abilities: Acid Dart 2/7, Resistant Touch 0/7, Channel Positive energy 3/3
User avatar
Garm
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Gaius » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Gaius moved Justiel closer to Sterel's and dismounted. He instructed the destrier to wait outside and was given a silent look in response.

He announced to the others, "It would be best to ask the ferryman to hold fast for a some moments while I give aid to Zeldana in selecting proper mount for our next sojourn. Would they have properly trained war horses, most fortunate she would be."

"Lass, how fare you when it comes to judging mounts? Should warhorse not be found, then train one from a riding stock I would have to do. However, such task would take several days."


Actions | Show
Accompany Zeldana

Gaius Mini-stats | Show
Perception +9, Speed 30 (20 actual)
AC 22(24), Touch 12, Flat-footed 20 (+1 Platemail) +2 w/Shield, CMD: 21
Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +3
HP 57 Current: 41
Challenge: 1/2 available
Tactician (Shake it Off): 1/1 available
Inspiring Rush: 1/1 available
Conditions in effect:

Weapon in Hand: Spiked Gauntlet (RH)
Justiel Mini-Stats | Show
Perception +6, Speed 50ft
AC 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 20, CMD: 19
Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +2
HP 47 Current: 18

Attacks: 2xHooves (+4; 1d6+5), Bite (+3; 1d4+5) w/Power Attack
Gaius
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Aura » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Asked about judging horses, Zeldana shakes her head. Pulling back her hood and letting her hair spill out, the young varasian admits, "Psh. I've never bought one before. I guess my goal would be as easy to ride as possible. Everything else seems less pertinent to me." With that, Zeldana rummages her fingers through her coin supply. Looking down at her coin purse, she adds, "Looks like about 40 gold. Doesn't strike me as enough, yet."


Stat Block | Show
Zeldana Autumn LeVane
Female NG Human (Varisian) Sorcerer (Sage)
Level 4, Init 2, HP 33/33, Speed 30'
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14
Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
Abilities Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 12
Conditions None
Items Dropped None
Spells slots used: 5x1st
User avatar
Aura
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Gaius » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Gaius waved away her coins, “Lass, let not the lack of coins trouble you. If you would not join with us, that would not be a concern. The spoils of past victory at the keep sees us all with more than the meager amount in your purse.”

“Kriger and I, both have skill with horses to help train one to carry you with care and ease. Tis the smell of blood and noise of combat that can turn a docile mount into one that would have the gods own burr under its saddle. Without considerable riding skill to bring such panicked horse to heel, far better to have one familiar with such chaos.”


Actions | Show
Accompany Zeldana

Gaius Mini-stats | Show
Perception +9, Speed 30 (20 actual)
AC 22(24), Touch 12, Flat-footed 20 (+1 Platemail) +2 w/Shield, CMD: 21
Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +3
HP 57 Current: 41
Challenge: 1/2 available
Tactician (Shake it Off): 1/1 available
Inspiring Rush: 1/1 available
Conditions in effect:

Weapon in Hand: Spiked Gauntlet (RH)
Justiel Mini-Stats | Show
Perception +6, Speed 50ft
AC 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 20, CMD: 19
Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +2
HP 47 Current: 18

Attacks: 2xHooves (+4; 1d6+5), Bite (+3; 1d4+5) w/Power Attack
Gaius
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 pm

~ Day 16, 16:54 – West Bank of Drellin’s Ferry ~

~ Waiting for the Ferry ~The dwarf operating the ferry could be seen across the river and he waved to acknowledge the call for him to send the boat over. He sets the horses to moving the capstan and the ferry begins the slow progress from the far bank to the near. It took about 5-6 minutes the last time.

Meanwhile, Zeldana and Gaius find that light riding horses are available for purchase at standard price. The saddle and tack can be acquired as well. At the inquiry about combat-trained mounts, Ben Sterrel suggested they talk with Delora Zann who runs the Livery Stable in town. She was a retired adventurer and he thought she might have a warhorse there.

Map of the Witchwood | Show
Image

Map of Drellins Ferry | Show
Image


Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Kriger:      40/46 HP remaining; 1 Str Dmg;
 Horse:      05/16 HP remaining;
Garm:        28/32 HP remaining;
Strat:       41/41 HP remaining;
 Horse:      04/15 HP remaining;
Gaius:       53/57 HP remaining;
 Justiel:    18/47 HP remaining;
Zeldana:     33/33 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: None
Special Abilities:
Code: Select all
Garm Spells Remaining:          1st level (2/5), 2nd Level (3/4)
Garm Channel Energy Remaining:  0/3
Garm Acid Dart Remaining:       5/6
Garm Resistant Touch remaining: 6/6
Strat Spells Remaining:         1st level (3/5), 2nd level (1/3)
Strat's Arch Luck Remaining:    14/17
Gaius Abilities Remaining:      Tactician (1/1), Challenge (2/2), Inspired Charge (1/1)
Zeldana Spells Remaining:       1st Level (3/7), 2nd Level (4/4)
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12342
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: WS: Into the Witchwood [IC]

Postby Aura » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:56 am

Zeldana listens carefully, as if taking mental notes. Once both Gaius and Ben have spoken, she finally concludes, "Well, sir, I think I will want to go and talk to this Delora Zann woman you have spoken of. I'm such a novice rider that, in the event of any misfortune, I suspect I'll need a horse trained to be calm in such a circumstance." Voice trailing off, she thinks again, albeit briefly, and adds, "Although, I might be back. Everything is up in the air for now."

Walking off with Gaius, the young wizard adds, "If only I had a magic flying rug or something like that. Those don't panic." She shrugs with a certain sense of resignation. "Reality over fantasy, girl," she whispers under her breath.


Stat Block | Show
Zeldana Autumn LeVane
Female NG Human (Varisian) Sorcerer (Sage)
Level 4, Init 2, HP 33/33, Speed 30'
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14
Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
Abilities Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 12
Conditions None
Items Dropped None
Spells slots used: 5x1st
User avatar
Aura
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Group A Threads - DM: PMiller

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron