The Wayfarer's Society [OOC] - Come here first

Image Image Image Image
New adventurers to our bustling town of Theissia are encouraged to check in at the taproom of the Wayfarer's Society Chapter House. Travel around the Inner Sea nations, meet interesting monsters and slay them.

Moderators: Herzog, PMiller

The Wayfarer's Society [OOC] - Come here first

Postby PMiller » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:57 am

Please sign in here (this thread) before anywhere else in the Adventures of Golarion.

Post an introduction for yourself and include answers to the following:
    - Your experience with the rules
    - Your experience with PbP
    - Expectations for playing and what you want out of the experience
    - Anticipated frequency of participation

Welcome adventurers!

New adventurers to our bustling seaside town of Theissia are encouraged to check in at the tavern of the Wayfarer's Society Chapter house. Travel around the Inner Sea nations, meet interesting monsters and slay them. The Wayfarer's Society offers a place for new and returning members to get started playing Pathfinder here on URPGs. Our doors are always open.

Adventures in Golarion is a location-based setting in the Pathfinder Campaign Setting of the Inner Sea in the world of Golarion, characters just starting their careers (1st level). It is fictional city (not part of the official setting, that is) in the Inner Sea. That way the adventures can use published material without needing to worry so much about geography. This way the adventure location can pretty much be anywhere in Golarion by being a few days journey by land or sea away.

Groups can vary in size, but probably between 2-6 players. Once a few players are ready to form a team they can begin when a DM is available things can get started. This is not a player versus player (PvP) environment, and characters are expected to work as a team like most fully developed campaigns. Scenarios can link together forming a campaign, lasting as long as the group remains together. Anyone interested in running a short scenario please contact the Society's Adjutant (Admin-PMiller) via Private Message.

Rule Sets:
Pathfinder RPG
- Core Rulebook (SRD)
- Advanced Player's Guide (SRD)
- Ultimate Magic (SRD) - Only Classes, Archtypes, Feats, and Spells are allowed at this time.
- Ultimate Combat - Only Classes, Archtypes, and Feats at this time. No Guns.
- Pathfinder Chronicles: Gods and Magic
- Pathfinder Chronicles: Campaign Setting
- Advanced Races Guide
- Ultimate Equipment

Character Generation:
Characters are level 1
Abilities - 25 point buy (Max ability score of 16 before racial adjustment)
Max HP at Level 1, Max HP-2 for levels after that
Races (from above sources only)
Good or Neutral Alignments only
150gp or Average starting money (Whichever is higher)
2 Starting Traits (from above sources only)
Animal Companions and Eidolons use the same HP rules as player characters
Brief background and appearance should be developed (one post in The Roster of Wayfarers thread).
A character portrait will be needed for tactical grids for combat
Online character sheet at either:
Myth-Weavers
Put Character Sheet link in your signature.

Leveling Up:
If your character gets enough XP to level up they may do so immediately. This grants the extra HP, but does not heal damage, and grants any additional spell slots, but not spells prepared. A caster capable of spontaneously casting could use these slots normally, a cleric could only use them for cure or inflict spells, a druid for summon nature's ally, etc... Prepared casters may prepare spells in these slots as if they had left the slots blank for the day, if they are able to do so. They can go through the appropriate spell preparation as if they had already rested if applicable. Max HP at Level 1, Max HP-2 for levels after that.

Expectations:
Due to the nature of PBP format allowing people to participate during their free time on their busy schedules, the expectations is that players are available to normally post once every few days, but hopefully at least once per day.

While participating in any In Character(IC) activity, any extended absence of over 2-3 days should be communicated to the DM and other players as a courtesy on the appropriate Out of Character (OOC) thread. If the situation is such that the player’s character is doing nothing or just following along, posts stating such should be used to acknowledge that the player has been reading the other posts and is current on the events in game. Extended lapses in posting by a player can have adverse effects on the group’s enthusiasm for the game. Communication is the key on player absences; the DM can NPC the player for the duration if necessary. Holding up the game is rude and inconsiderate towards the other players.

Character Background & Description:
Other players and the DMs need to know what your character looks like. Each character should post a Description & Background post in the The Roster of Wayfarers thread (only one per character). If you are not using an IC account specifically for that character, also include a picture. Use the first post (Sierra's) after the roster as an example.

Once your character is approved, you can start role-playing in the tavern thread (once I set it up) until our DMs are ready to split off their characters into an adventure.

Character death:
Should your character die, the player gets to make new character with 1/2 the experience of the dead one. Even if they die in their first encounter, they will still receive a share of the experience so their new character will not start at zero.

Standards for Posting:
When posting speech IC, please always use Quotation marks. Most people who use colors also make it bold as well, but not required. For internal thoughts, italics is used (without Quotation marks).

Combat Posts:
Use a spoiler block to post actions and conditions of your character when in combat. Example below:
spoiler: show
Move Action:
Standard Action:
Free Action:

Current AC:
Current HP:
Current Weapon in Hand:
Conditions in effect:

Channel Energy: 5/5 remaining
Seize Initiative: 7/7 remaining
Sudden Shift: 7/7 remaining
Smite Good: 1/1 remaining
Rage Rounds: 7/7 remaining
Breath Weapon: 1/1 remaining
Arcane Pool: 4/4 remaining
Spells Cast Today:

Dice Rollers:
Invisible Castle with a registered account tied to your character's name. DM's and Moderators do check suspicious rolls.
Please use the exact BBCode link Invisible Castle provides. This requires an Account at Invis Castle to add. Notes section of the Dice Roll should list exactly what the roll is for and the target designated (ie. "Bite vs. Orc 4") in the block that is provided when you are logged in. Including any variable modifiers that make the bonuses different than normal such as flanking, Point Blank Shot, or Penalty for firing into Melee. This is a good example: This is a good example: [url="http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4172743/"]Spiked Chain vs. Orc 4 (Kn Dev & -2/+4 PA) (1d20+11=12, 2d4+10=14)[/url].
I do not want to take the extra time to click any extra links during my updates. Alternate site if Invisible Castle is down: http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/ or Myth-Weaver's Dice Rolling Thread

Armor Resizing:
Medium characters can start using medium armor that is obtained from loot/treasure right away without needing to spend money or time resizing it. However, armor that is for other sized creatures (small or large) cannot be sized to fit medium characters or vice versa. Also armor made for creatures that are not bipedal cannot be used for humanoid shaped creatures either.

Purchasing Items:
Buying most items from the sourcebooks between adventures is allowed. Masterwork items and using special materials can be commissioned without worry. The exception on items is magical items valued at more than 300gp, then the DM should roll against 75% availability. Much of this can be done OOC.

However, during adventures the DM has approval authority of all purchases until completion, based on the events and balance of things planned.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Re: The Warfarer's Society [OOC] - Come here first

Postby TSS » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 am

Awesome to see this up and running. One thing though that you didn't clarify, traits. Do they have to be from the above books only? My guess is 'yes' and I will proably be the first character in the build thread :D .

Also...whats with that fat ass elf in the picture?
TSS
Villager
Villager

Postby Herzog » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Cool deal.

Maybe it's not an elf, but something else?

darn, there goes my gravewalker witch building I was thinking of. :P
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I clarified the trait issue on the opening post. The assumption was correct. The picture looked cool, that's all. But I do see that fat wench being a colorful NPC.

I am thinking of playing either a Barbarian, Druid, Paladin, Monk, Squirrel Jedi, Summoner, Witch, Cavalier, Inquisitor, Alchemist.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby TSS » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:39 pm

I vote Squirrel Jedi its what I would go for. Name him Sandinmyvaginakin Cryalotwalker played Hayicantactden Christisuckatthisensen. Sorry if that was offensive to anyone.
TSS
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:48 am

Red Bushy Tail is his name. :mrgreen: Cavalier maybe, Order of the Chipmunk.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:04 am

Cool, count me in. I'm going have to read up on the pathfinder rules. The only question is should I make a more serious character or someone silly like Dwain?
Character:
Dwain Bartholomew: The Adventurer's Guild
Keanu Cidolfus: Adventures in Golarion
Steve
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TSS » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 am

Serious or silly man. Its all about how he gets along with the rest of the party that you'll be grouping with. If your character is a complete ass to everyone around him, no one will want to party with him.

As far as the rules go man check out the SRD at this site http://www.pathfindersrd.com/. You can find anything you need to know there. After your remark I'm sure you don't own any of the books, which is fine, the SRD is awesome. Just follow the above criteria and enjoy and ask any question you need answered.
TSS
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:53 pm

TSS wrote:Serious or silly man. Its all about how he gets along with the rest of the party that you'll be grouping with. If your character is a complete ass to everyone around him, no one will want to party with him.

Definitely the important point. Dwain is not likeable and will not form good chemistry with most of the players that are considering playing in this. Having a sense of humor is one thing, but if the other players don't like your character it is not fun for anyone involved (except maybe the DM as he laughs at it all and sends a tough monster to try and kill the party to teach them a lesson. :mrgreen: )
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby TSS » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:21 am

I haven't known Dwain long enough to say that he's really annoying but you had just met Korr and called him 'beardface'. If I was playing him like I was going to...Dwain would have had a fight on his hands.

PMiller isn't saying don't join or be afraid your going to piss someone off. Just don't be a jerk to your fellow party members is all. Also a LG character period shouldn't really pal around with a CN character. Promotes bad synergy. Also I have implimented rules regarding alignment to the point there was only LG, NG, CG or LN allowed.

Another thing to avoid is religious discussions. I have been a victim of this. Two characters of different deities goin at it becuase I made an innocent comment. I am a paladin and the cleric is one of the Lady of Graves, Pharasma and we were at a funeral. Anyways it was downhill from there. It got so bad that I nearly left the group but that isn't the only reason why I proably will.

Let's just have fun, hurdle the dead and loot the remains.
TSS
Villager
Villager

Postby PMiller » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:28 am

I am going to start posting build discussion issues in the Build thread. I don't need to see sheets yet, but we need to start getting an idea of what other people are thinking so I can figure out which group to put people it. So far I think we might have a group of Aasimar.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:52 am

Hmmmm, well I actually like playing Dwain but I would never do anything to a pc that would think would ruin the game for the person playing him. Their's is a big difference in doing and saying crazy stuff (standing on a table drunk, calling a dwarf Mr. Beardface and mocking the law in front of a knight) and doing things that are down right mean and no fun (like making a CE character that kills other PCs or doing stupid things that risks the lives of other PCs). As for PC chemistry it true you don't want a CE with a LG because they're just going to want to fight each other, but I think that a fair bit of conflict is ok (like Leonardo and Raphael), it makes things more interesting. As for PMiller not liking Dwain that's ok you're entitled your opinion, but I didn't make this character to be liked by everyone I him to be interesting and fun to play as. He kind of like Andy Kaufman sometimes he wants to make you laugh at him, sometimes he wants to make you boo at him but he mainly wants make you have a reaction to him. If you want to make a really hard monster to try and kill him just because you don't like him (instead of being mature and talking about it OOC) the you just not a good DM. Give me hard enemies cause you think I'm a good player and you think deserve a challenge not cause something I said RPing. I do dial Dwain back when he's talking to other PCs(I count Kaedyn as a NPC) and important NPCs(like Deves). As for TSS making an innocent comment about religion and it causing trouble. Sounds like and interesting story I'd like to hear more about it.(I think we should continue this conversation in the Group E OOC tread).
Character:
Steve
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TSS » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:34 pm

The comment was simple and nothing really to it. It was along the lines of 'Her blessings are with us' or something close to it. No big deal. Well a PC took it as something else I guess and made a comment that went overboard imo. The group consists of me a paladin, necro wiz and inquisitor of Asmodeus. At the time of creation I was unaware of the wiz going necro or I would have made a different toon. But as it would seem the guy playing him is lazy and does NOT RP at all and if/when he raises someone from the dead in that manner I may kill the creature and warn the wiz. I won't attack him but I would leave the group.

Now as far as discussing it further...its a dead issue and I don't like talking about religion unless its PF deities. I have my own views on RL religion that most would find offensive-do not ask.

As far as 'beardface' goes. The offense would have been 100% IC. I mean I said you liked wearing pajamas. I made my mind up at that point on how to play him-fun loving outside of combat and dead serious in combat.

Now my PC killing days are over, I hope. The last time I killed a PC I technically didn't kill him. I hit him with Drow Sleep Poison and dumped him in the ocean to let him drown. Why? He killed a friend of mine because he was 'bored' and needed some 'excitement'. He was an asshat and I killed EVERY PC he created from then on 'til he quit playing DnD.

Just make character and let everyone know what you are and if all else fails I'll play with ya ;).
TSS
Villager
Villager

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks man that means a lot. I PMed PMiller about the way Dwain is, and I thought he got it and was cool with it up until now.
Character:
Steve
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PMiller » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:29 am

I added a change to the above Char Gen rules. Some classes have higher average money than 150gp and should start with more.

So it is 150gp or Average starting money (Whichever is higher).
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Next

Return to Adventures in Golarion - The Wayfarer's Society [PF]