WERE: Ch4 - The Hunt for Trinia [IC]

What are you going to do when the fiends and dragons come hunting for you?
Image Image Image

Moderator: PMiller

Re: WERE: Ch4 - The Hunt for Trinia [IC]

Postby Gweyn » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:39 am

Gweyn said nothing, expression a mask.

The marshal had declined her request, so Gweyn would not fulfill it; if the marshal did not think to question why, then that was on her. What it said to Gweyn was that her instincts had been right. Part of her felt a small knot of dread. She was fairly sure she knew what would happen next. But again, it was not truly her business, nor her sisters’, and Narissa and Visara were happier this way. It was a sacrifice that Gweyn would make. That it involved the fate of an innocent woman could not be helped.

She watched Trinia being led away with no particular expression on her face, unflinching, then inclined her head politely to the marshal, and followed her into the office, ironically alone now with the marshal.
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:40 am

Narissa only shrugged at the Field Marshal’s comments regarding the extra precautions regarding the artist. The desire to try speaking with Kroft privately was her sister’s desire and if Gweyn was going to let it go, she would not bring it up. Besides, Narissa had little sympathy for the prisoner, believing she should have left the city long before mobs started looking to lynch her.

Narissa also understood that sometimes sacrifices had to be made and the artist might not have been guilty of murder, but was still involved. If her execution would bring order, then it was all for the greater good.

She likewise said nothing about the incident as they followed Kroft to her office.
The Fallen Angel: Narissa
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:40 am

~ 15:01: Midland - Citadel Volshyenek ~

Field Marshal Kroft led the way down the short hall and opened the door to her office, with a nod to the sentry standing guard outside. The three sisters followed her inside and found that she had someone waiting in her office.

There was a tall, rail-thin Shoanti man of about 60 winters leaning heavily on a walking stick, the polished femur of some giant beast crowned with a firepelt cougar’s skull, beside her desk.

He wore a shirt decorated with countless jangling animal bones, many painstakingly scrawled with dozens of tiny symbols and glyphs. A bearskin cloak was draped about his bony shoulders, and warpaint in the shape of a skull decorated his face. The Shoanti’s eyes were milky as if he were blind. Perched on his shoulder was an almost regal looking red-feathered razor crow.

The old man regarded the three sisters impassively as they entered.

Kroft motioned for them to use the three chairs that were available, “Please have a seat.”

“This is Thousand Bones, a Way-Keeper for the Skoan-Quah, the Clan of the Skull. He leads the delegation of Shoanti that discuss a peaceful accord with the Korvosan government.”

“He is here because his grandson Gaekhen was killed amongst one of the mobs today.”
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Gweyn » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Gweyn turned to the Shoanti man, studying him, then studying the crow. Both seemed imperious and imperial in their own way. She imagined that the Shoanti had much power, if not magical, then political. But she imagined it was both.

“Way-Keeper Thousand Bones,” she intoned, gravely. “I am Vadoma, and these are my sisters, Delacourte and Vashelda. We are sorry for your loss.”

She doubted the others were very sorry about the loss a stranger has incurred, so it was best that she be the one to say it. She could dredge up some sympathy for the loss of a loved one.

Gweyn paused, then looked at Kroft. It seemed that no sooner had one issue been resolved, at least temporarily, than another had arisen.

“What service can we provide?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:55 pm

It that was the end of that. The artist was taken away and Visara figured the girl would next see sunshine on her execution day. The sisterhood had done their job to the letter.

Now it seemed like the Field Marshal had another job for them immediately.

"Indeed." Visara simply said and nodded when Gweyn spoke the trio. The werehound was the much more diplomatic of the sisters. Especially at this point, the Waykeep's grandson was either a victim of mod prejudice or stupid enough to get caught up in it. Or both.

The red head listened intently for what their new job might be.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:00 am

Narissa was rather stoic about the news of a mob killing one of the Shoanti. There was more than one death caused by the unruly masses that day.

The barbarian shaman was actually a strange sight and compared to her sister Visara he was truly savage looking.

"Well, I hope the mobs will no longer be an issue since they will not find the one they want to hang. But unless there is more information forthcoming, we can hardly apprehend or take vengeance on a mob of people."

She glanced at her draconic sister and wondered of Visara would not enjoy taking vengeance on a mod of people. It would be a slaughter in the streets.
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:03 am

~ 15:03: Midland - Citadel Volshyenek ~

Image Image
Field Marshal Kroft turned the floor over to Thousand Bones. The old shaman spoke with a deep voice, his words carefully
chosen but delivered with barely restrained anger.

“My people have worked hard to understand yours, yet it seems each day we see new examples of how your people work just as hard to foster old hatreds. My grandson is dead, beaten to death by cowards in your city street. I do not blame you, yet still Gaekhen is dead, and my son and his kin are not so forgiving as I. They wish to return to the Skoan-Quah in the Cinderlands, to join with the Sklar-Quah and rally to war against Korvosa. This would be disastrous, for both our peoples. Amends must be made.”

“Our ways are not as yours. If a body does not go whole to the fires of the gods, the smoke of a warrior’s spirit cannot rise to the Great Sky. If I could send Gaekhen’s body to the Great Sky with honor and dignity, his father and brothers would listen to me and stay their wrath—the talks of peace between my people and yours can continue. But he was not just murdered. His body was taken from the scene of his death, sold by a peddler of corpses to a necromancer named Rolth, a criminal to both our people. I have spoken with the spirits, and they have revealed to me that Gaekhen’s body has been taken to a place below your boneyard, a place the spirits call the Dead Warrens.”

“With this knowledge, I could surely lead a group of my finest warriors into your boneyard to retrieve Gaekhen’s body, but this would be seen as an act of aggression by your people. No, it falls to you to make amends for what has been done. You must bring me Gaekhen’s body, lest we be forced to recover him ourselves. And although it pains my heart to say it—we will not be gentle if it comes to this.”

With that, the old Shoanti walked out of the office after a curt nod to Kroft as the only parting farewell.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Gweyn » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:49 pm

Gweyn raised her brows.

She was rather taken aback that the old shoanti used terms like ‘yours’ and ‘your people’, as she and her sisters were nothing of the sort. Even if the old man couldn’t see them, their accents were not native. Perhaps part of the problem the shoanti were having was thinking of everything in terms of ‘us versus them’. There was no unified them, as far as Gweyn could see. And if such reductionist thinking were the way of the shoanti, then they would make few friends. Unfortunately the world had moved beyond such simple times.

However, if the shoanti waged war against the city, the three of them would be affected. At the very least, they would either have to endure the siege, or move.

She turned to Kroft and shrugged.

“Marshal, I can only assume that you brought us here to listen to that man because you wish us to act as your agents in this matter and enter this ‘Dead Warrens’ place and recover the body of his grandson.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:59 am

Narissa watched the old man go without saying anything. She was not concerned or interested in the plight of the Shoanti and their grievances with the city of Korvosa. It was just another situation to breed chaos if they needed a diversion later.

After Thousand Bones was gone, she had a smirk and was sarcastic as she commented, “Pleasant ol’ geezer is he not.”

“I suppose you are taking their threats seriously, Field Marshal. If we need not get his grandson’s body, shall we get rid of the old one instead? I am sure displaying his severed head on a pike out from of the citadel will send his unruly mobs a clear message.”
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:49 am

Visara watched the old man leave and stared at the closed office door. He had been straight to the point.

It take make the red head wonder what the hell the grandson was doing with the mob. Did he just get caught up in the mob or was the mob looking for a scapegoat? Was the grandson doing something stupid? Not that it all mattered...

The half dragon pursed her lips at the thought of dealing with a necromancer. Due to her tribal roots, that particular spellcraft was viewed with suspicion and apprehension. It was morally wrong, but that bothered the barbarian redhead less so.

Visara chuckled lightly at Narissa's suggestion they deal with the old man instead.

"Heh, that could incite a blood bath..something that would be most fun."

In all seriousness, the half dragon did not think Kroft would go for that idea. The field marshal likely planned to have them fetch the body and deal with the necromancer.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:45 am

~ 15:04: Midland - Citadel Volshyenek ~

Field Marshal Kroft glared at Narissa and her expression darkened further as Visara joked about death and blood in the streets. "Let us not jest about such a thing," she said curtly in reply to the red-head sister.

She turned back to Gweyn, likely believing her to be more reasonable than the other two, and continued, "I must apologize for the Ambassador's attitude, but I cannot fault him for it. And I do agree with his assessment."

Kroft glanced sidelong at Narissa and said wryly, "But, I think assassinating him would only make matters worse."

"Instead I do think someone tied more to Korvosa needs to find that body and return it to his people as a gesture of good will. That should help diffuse the situation and keep things from falling into the shit."

"Normally, I would contact the Church of Pharasma to organize an expedition into one of the warrens under the city graveyard. But an immediate response is more important. You three have proven capable, and can act as my agents in this."

"There is another 1000 gold coins for you if can recover the grandson's body."
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Gweyn » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Gweyn nodded to the marshal.

“One need not apologize for anyone’s actions but their own, though I do find his title somewhat ironic.”

She shrugged at that.

“It is no matter to us, however. Just grist for some gallows humor.”

It seemed that the marshal did not truly think Narissa and Visara’s comments were serious. She was probably used to the way mercenaries talked. She looked over at her sisters.

“What say you to this proposal, Sisters? We should be in agreement before accepting, as always.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:56 am

In truth, Narissa was not terribly interested in more chaos and a bloodbath. As entertaining as her draconic sister might find that, it would not serve a purpose for them. But if they met someone else that offered enough incentive to kill the old Ambassador, that could be another story.

However, she and Visara had perhaps revealed a little too much of their true selves. Narissa gave a simple nod at Gweyn mentioning gallows humor, "Indeed."

Another hefty payment of gold for a task that did not sound terribly hard was acceptable to her. Even more so since there was no mention on what they could so to the necromancer in the process.

Narissa looked back at her sister Gweyn, "Sure, dear. I am willing to take on such a task. We should probably learn more about what we are dealing with and where exactly we should bring the body, though."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:26 am

Visara shrugged at Field Marshal's Krofts sharp glare and curt reply on the idea of inciting a blood bath. The half-dragon shrugged her shoulders. There was the old saying that chaos breeds opportunity.

As to rather they would perform the field marshal's task, the half dragon had no objections.

"Sure. I am fine with it."

It was more money in their pockets and more good will with Kroft.

"Right. What should we do if the necromancer has raised the grandson and is using it as some kind of minion? In other words, what state should the body be in?"
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:31 am

“Very well. We are in agreement.”

Gweyn nodded and turned back to Kroft.

“Thank you for the opportunity, Marshal. We shall look into it, and retrieve the body if it is possible. My sister did ask about finding out more. Can we ask you those questions?”

She paused, mulling it over.

“I assume that the ‘ambassador’ will know his grandson’s body, even if it is in a rough state, as my sister mentioned. We will probably need a large bag of some kind, perhaps waxed canvas, so as not to make too much of a mess.”

Gweyn was thinking aloud for some of it, but she had another idea and nodded definitively.

“Do you have a map of the graveyard, or of the Dead Warrens? Do you know of anyone who has knowledge of it?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to When Evil Rampages Everywhere [PF]