WERE: Ch3 - The Ambassador's Secret [IC]

What are you going to do when the fiends and dragons come hunting for you?
Image Image Image

Moderator: PMiller

Re: WERE: Ch3 - The Ambassador's Secret [IC]

Postby Narissa » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:45 am

Narissa was lounging in her thin linen dress, unconcerned about her appearance being too revealing as the cloth clung to her figure and did not leave much in the way of imagination.

The mug of spiced cider was making her feel warm and relaxed after the hot bath. She thought about Gweyn's concern for a moment as they heard the rain pattering on the roof. It would be an unpleasant night to be out and about. She did not like flying in the rain.

"Very well, since you promised to free it, we should consider the venture. Something tells me the prick of spiders likes his pets and will not be convinced to part with it willingly. And I don't see spending enough gold to convince him otherwise."

"So that leaves stealth and trickery, or brute force... or mayhap a little of both," she added with a smirk.

"And something tells me Kroft would be pleased if Barvasi accidentally had his skull caved in while thwarting a robbery."
The Fallen Angel: Narissa
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:51 am

Visara felt much better and relaxed from sitting by the fire with her sisters. The rain outside was actually soothing to the half-dragon. She sat there dressed in a simple tunic and pants while sipping on some ale.

Visara saw Gweyn's look as the other woman glanced over to her. The werehound had brought up the conversation of Bavarsi's pet dragon. The red head frowned at the thought.

The idea of the psuedodragon caged as such, bothered the half-dragon barbarian. Perhaps it was the dragon blood running through her veins. The woman felt a kinship to the small beast. It would not do to stand idle by while the small dragon was captive.

"Aye, I am for it. No dragon,no matter how small, should be caged like a pet."

Visara took a sip of her ale.

"And I wouldn't might taking the Spider's head if it came down to it. It would be a challenge to go the direct route."
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Gweyn tilted her head, considering.

“It might be a challenge, but the King of Spiders may yet be useful to us. Perhaps we should not be in such a hurry to decimate his forces or even risk a confrontation with him, should he be there when we approach. My thought was some kind of trickery or stealth.”

She looked between her sisters.

“But since this is a favor I am asking of both of you, I have no right to assert my will as to how it should be done. Let us come to an agreement about our general tactic, then we can begin to plan.”

Gweyn paused, smiling a little.

“And…thank you both for agreeing to help. This is something that has become very important to me, so I am very grateful that both of you would help.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:58 am

Narissa shrugged at Gweyn's gratitude, "Tis nothing, dear. A dragon-kin should not belong to a spider. I am sure the favor we would receive in turn for freeing the creature could be useful later. There are a number of pseudodragon clutches in this city that could then treat us more friendly."

Inspecting one of her claws, she dug out some dried blood that had not come out from her bath. She was quite casual sounding while they discussed the potential fate of the King of Spiders. "Barvasi might not be the most upstanding citizen, but then again he could prove to be a useful ally if we continue to do him favors that benefit us."

"Working for Kroft is a way for us to potentially get in closer to the Queen. Earning that one's favor could provide potential if she is of a like mindedness. But Kroft herself, might eventually have to meet an untimely demise should the paladin and his ilk show up. I have no real desire to help the Field Marshal get rid of one of her problems without a worthwhile reward."

"We also have no real quarrel with Barvasi... other than he is a bit pompous, male, and has caged the dragon-kin. But he must have connections in this city that we could exploit and use if things become treacherous. Surely he has smuggler friends that could help us disappear from Korvosa. That is aid we cannot find elsewhere in hurried need."

Narissa turned to Visara, "I am afraid, darling, that I would not agree with simply showing up and massacring everyone at Eel's End. We could easily purchase an invisibility spell for Gweyn and let her rescue the prisoner. The two of them could escape under the magic invisibility while you and I fly above to swoop down to help should she get discovered."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:14 am

Visara shrugged her shoulders. Her sisters were right in leaving the crime lord alive. There would be other challenges in the city.

"Very well. All good points indeed. And I can't argue with them."

The red head glanced over at the fire in thought. There had been enough violence in the last few days to sate the barbarian's need to destroy something. She would be good for awhile.

"That sounds like a simple plan. Almost too simple. I like it."
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:34 am

Gweyn beamed.

She could not be happier than she was at the moment, to know she had friends and sisters who supported her. She had felt trepidation, earlier, at the thought of even telling them, fearing that that they would want to enslave the little dragon too. But Narissa and Visara weren’t doing this for the dragon as much as they were doing it for her. That was everything.

“Thank you,” she said, again, and meant it dearly.

She purposefully turned her thoughts to the more practical: the matter of the invisibility scroll, which would be easy enough to procure.

“That is an excellent idea, Sister.”

“Hmm,” she said. “Should we ready some kind of distraction as well? Just in case something goes wrong.”

She mulled it over.

“Though I suppose, if it goes really wrong, a distraction won’t help.” She cocked her head. “I wonder if Zellara could assist us in speaking to each other.” Surreptitiously, she reached into her pouch and put her fingers around one of Zellara’s cards, and murmured to the seeress. “Zellara, if I gave a card to my sisters, and kept a card, would you be able to advise them about my situation?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:53 am

Narissa nodded at the mention of distractions and said, "I can always swoop down with a darkness spell active and then cast another spell to generate an obscuring mist around me. Wearing a black hooded cloak or something even better with the magical hat, I could cause quite the stir if I appear to be an angel of death."

"But even flying overhead under the cover of the darkness, I have a simple spell to cause ghost sounds that could be distracting."

"Those are just the spells that I know. There are a number of divine spells I could cast from scrolls too, though I am not sure which would help the most."

She looked at Gweyn, "What about your own spell repertoire, dear?"
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:38 am

Visara took another sip of her ale and frowned. She could not help in the spell department. Arcana magics were beyond her understanding, and sometimes a bit distrustful. But seeing both Narissa and Gweyn execute spells with skill, Visara had grown to appreciate the craft.

"Eh, it probably would be too obvious if I went for a gambling visit or something. Perhaps I can go seeking out a worthy opponent of knivies. It give me a reason to be close by if something went wrong. But on the flip side, my presence could be linked to the theft..."
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Gweyn nodded thoughtfully.

“I have a whispered message spell,” she said, considering. “But it might not work if there is enough to block its path. I may need to be sealed in the hull, so it might not work. We’ll have to see. But it’s an option, perhaps.”

She mulled over the possibilities, then shook her head to herself. It was impossible to know at this point.

“If it does work, you will hear my whispered words. You need only whisper back, and I will hear you, even if distance would ordinarily prevent this. And we don’t have to worry about anyone who is in between ourselves overhearing, either.”

Gweyn pondered some more.

“I also have an illusion spell that could serve as a distraction, in an urgent situation. Perhaps all these things together would be enough.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:29 am

Narissa shook her head and laid a hand on Visara's arm. "No, darling. Barvasi is shrewd and if he spots one of us in his establishment he could very well connect us to the liberation of your little sister."

"In fact, I am thinking we should not try this tonight at all, but wait a few days at least to ensure some time has passed since our business with the King of Spiders."

Her face brightened as she had an idea, "Gweyn, dear. Mayhap you can use the magic hat to visit the Eel's End as a patron during the next few evenings. Just hang around on the main deck to be in a position to see inside the throne room cabin to ensure the pseudodragon is still there in place. Then on the third night we can put our plan into motion during the last hour before dawn."

"Visara can use the magic hat and switch places to be on the deck to provide quick back-up or a distraction to lure guards from the doors so Gweyn can slip inside while invisible. I can be circling overhead and drop the magic darkness around so only those with darkvision can see. We will all be in communication with Gweyn's spell."

"In the end, we could accomplish this without much fuss."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:46 am

Visara nodded in agreement with her sister. Being present as herself would not be a good idea just like she had thought. While it would certainly be a challenge to face down the Spider's minions, numbers were not on the sisterhoods side.

"Alright, sounds like a good plan to me."

The red head yawned lightly and looked at the fire. After cleaning up for the day, and sipping refreshments by the far, it was hard to be motivated to go out thieving the same night.

"Waiting sounds good to me as well."

Visara leaned back in the chair and nursed the rest of the drink.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:15 am

Gweyn nodded.

“Yes, it sounds like a plan to me. You are good at this, sister.”

She smiled at Narissa, relieved and pleased. Both the conversation and the planning had gone far better than what she could have hoped for. It was another affirmation of their sisterhood.

“All right. I will do as you suggest and use the magic hat to hide in plain sight on deck and make observations. I will also be able to count the number of guards and determine their watch rotation patterns. With all this information, we’ll be better prepared to make our move in a few days.”

She paused.

“I’ll wait a few hours and then go, and spend a few hours, not overlong. Tomorrow, I will go as a different patron, so as to not rouse suspicion.” She looked between Narissa and Visara. “Is there anything else we should discuss?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:33 am

Narissa smiled, “Good idea, dear, being a different patron each time would be best… Though, I would stay away from the gambling boat. I am sure someone there would be looking for magical auras to prevent cheating and that could find you receiving unwanted scrutiny.”

As they appeared to be finished with planning for the moment, she was thoughtful a moment before answering, “Besides a little shopping, nothing else comes to mind. We have gained some more gold as of late, but I am not sure we have enough to commission something really expensive. After buying two scrolls for invisibility, there will be about 2200 gold coins worth remaining. What about another ring of protection or an amulet that will increase one's natural armor?”
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:18 pm

Visara nodded but said nothing as the planning for dragon snatching appeared to be settled and completed. It sounded like a good plan to the barbarian and it would feel good to put one over the spider king. Notwithstanding the goodwill of freeing the dragonkin.

On the matter of additional shopping, Visara frowned in thought. She had been feeling a bit overconfident lately. The guards of the popinjay had hardly put up a fight. Attitudes like that would be dangerous if they ran into a challenging combat. Magic protection would never hurt.

"Well, Narissa, both of those items sounds like a good idea to me. The amulet in particular. If that is what we want to spend the gold on..."
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:33 am

Gweyn nodded. It sounded like they had come to a consensus.

“That is fine. I am inclined to say that protective items will be more important in general than offensive ones. But look at how much use we have gotten out of this hat.” She smiled, faintly. “It has been invaluable. And, with that being said…”

She took the hat, and rose.

“I must prepare. I will be back later tonight and let you know if I came across anything unusual.”

Gweyn then retired to her room and got ready for her evening out. She mentally prepared herself to be ‘on’ and interacting socially with others for several hours. It would probably be trying, because she did not particularly care for most people.

She then left for the evening. As always, she took a circuitous route back to Barvasi’s lair. Partway there, she ducked into an alley, and used the hat to change her appearance to that of an affluently-dressed young fellow with a moon-pocked face. She mingled and chatted on the main deck, watching the guards and determining their patterns. Once, she caught a glimpse inside the throne room, and saw the occupied cage still hanging from the ceiling. She did not try to contact the dragonkin, though, but just went about her business of socializing.

By the time Gweyn got home, she was exhausted. Too much talking to too many fake people. She felt the vague need to punch someone in the face, but did not. Instead, she went to bed. The next day, she rose and went through her daily ritual, telling her sisters about all she had observed. In turn, they told her that they had purchased the scrolls. That night, she went back and did the same thing, this time as a different patron, a corpulent fellow with overly perfumed sleeves. Again, she observed the guards. The next night after, she went as a new patron, an ordinary fellow with conservative dress.

On the fourth night, they set out.

Gweyn knew she could rely on Visara and Narissa to take up their positions and do the jobs they had discussed. Meanwhile, Gweyn got as close as she could without coming into the guards’ scrutiny, then took out the scroll. She cast the spell easily, feeling the magical aura ripple over her. She held her hand up in front of her face. Invisible.

She cast her whispering message spell immediately after, then quietly made her way toward the ship, and walked onto the main deck. There was enough mingling and chatter that no one seemed to notice her. When the guards rotated out, she slipped into the throne room. There was no one inside but the pseudodragon.
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to When Evil Rampages Everywhere [PF]