WERE: Ch3 - The Ambassador's Secret [IC]

What are you going to do when the fiends and dragons come hunting for you?
Image Image Image

Moderator: PMiller

WERE: Ch3 - The Ambassador's Secret [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:54 am

The next day, the trio of sisters are outfitted for their audience with Field Marshal Cressida Kroft and arrive about an hour before the lunch hour. They are allowed admittance and are invited to join her in her office. When they enter, they find she is not alone.

Image Image
A handsome man sits in one of the chairs at her desk, and as the three sisters enter, he rises and bows. Field Marshall Kroft greets them.

"Good day to you. Thank you for coming today."

"Allow me to introduce an old friend, Vencarlo Orisini."

Vencarlo is a charming man, and he bows deeply as he’s introduced. He is wearing well-tailored clothes, white shirt under a dark crimson vest. He also has a finely crafted rapier on his belt and polished black leather boots that go to the knee. His hair is in a pony tail, a few strands escaping to playfully adorn his face. He is tall and muscular.

"Why hello. Aren't you all just visions of perfection. Allow me to kiss each of your hands." He smiles warmly and approaches Gweyn first.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Re: WERE: Ch3 - The Ambassador's Secret [IC]

Postby Gweyn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 am

Gweyn inclined her head politely to the man.

She stood with her hands at her sides, making no move to raise them. She did not intend to let the man touch her, in any case. She studied the fellow and saw his pure white hair and five o’clock shadow, which was dark. It was difficult to determine his age.

Gweyn sniffed to catch his scent. It would tell her things about him – if he drank, if he smoked tobacco, if he had bathed recently, if he worked with chemicals or the like.

She smiled slightly.

“Thank you for the offer, but my hand is fine how it is.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Visara is feeling much rested this morning. Her wings hurt, but it is the good kind of hurt from a long work out. Plus the fact that the half-dragon slept extremely well. Today had promise as is evident from the sisters arrival in the field marshals office, hopefully for another job.

On entering, the red head noticed the handsome and well kept man accompanying the field marshal. His well tailored cloths are off putting despite the mischievous look about the man. Visara had hooked her hands in her belt and kept towards the back of her sisters as she was prone to let the more diplomatic of the three do the talking. The half-dragon had worn the finely made tabards the sisters had acquired for the purposes of these meetings, but the handle of her finely crafted greatsword stuck over the barbarian's shoulder. Visara's other newly purchased also hang off her person, giving woman an appearance of a swiss army knife or at the least, some one not to be triffled with.

She almost snickers as Gweyn refuses her hand to Field Marshal Kroft's friend. Visara just shakes her head and smiles at the man as he attempts to do the same to her, keeping her hands hooked to her belt. Narissa is the diplomatic one, and would probably extend the olive branch. Besides, etiquette and such are not the barbarian's strong point, and she will not be wood by the likes of some pretty boy.

And to the point, Visara asks the marshal and Orisini, "So I take you have a job for us, no?"
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:36 am

"Thank you for the compliment."

Narrisa smiles wickedly as her sisters refuse to the let the man touch them. She doesn't have such misgivings, easily slipping into a role that is more social.  Diplomatic would not be the right word.

She takes his hand, grasping it in turn as he holds hers to bend and kiss the top of it.  She steps close, holding the hand to prevent him from backing away.

Narissa's lips are close to his ear as she leaned in, too close for him to turn and meet her face to face.

Her soft voice is sultry and doesn't carry to Kroft, but Gweyn and Visara can barely hear. "Don't mind them.  They prefer my company instead and if you were to take us to bed, we would likely rip your heart out."

She backs away and releases the swordmaster's hand and smiles, the playful smile on her expression as her tongue slowly moistens her lips.

Narissa leaves Visara's question in the air, letting the Field Marshall and Orisini decide to proceed to business or not.
The Fallen Angel: Narissa
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:36 am

Image Image
Vencarlo Orisini chuckles, clearly entertained by the innuendo. Apparently he assumes Narissa was talking in metaphor instead of the literal truth. "A true pleasure, I am sure."

Field Marshall Kroft clears her throat, almost unconsciously as says, "Although my friend Vencarlo himself has always been an outspoken critic of Korvosa’s government, I have always valued him as a friend and adviser. Particularly in these dark times, his input about the temperament and morale of the citizens of Korvosa has been invaluable to me as I am getting the city back under control."

Vencarlo gives a smile and nod to accept the compliment graciously and then turns back to the sisters and adds, "I have been told of your successes and I offer my congratulates as well. If Korvosa had more fine folk like you, we’d already be out of this mess."

"Here, please take my chair, milady." He offers the seat he was using when the trio came in.

Field Marshall Kroft returns sits back down as well and gestures that Visara and Gweyn should take the other two chairs. Vencarlo appears to be content to stand and admire the view.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Gweyn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:56 am

Gweyn remained stoic as Narissa interacted with the man, who was probably old enough to be her father. She did not particularly appreciate that Narissa had extended her insinuations to include herself, putting ideas in the man’s head – not that they were not there already, she knew. He was a man.

She did not smile when the man gave up his chair.

“Thank you, but I prefer to stand,” Gweyn said, nodding to Orisini . “Why don’t you sit?”

She hated when men assumed they needed to give up their chairs or open doors for women, as if the women were not capable of standing or opening their own doors. The men always claimed that this was a chivalrous act, but Gweyn felt it only widened the gap between any true understanding between the genders – treating women as others, to be elevated and put on a pedestal. Then in turn, the men felt as if the women owed them somehow for these things, gestures that the women had never asked for in the first place.

She turned away from the man then, and looked at Marshal Kroft.

“You have my full attention, Marshal.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Visara merely shakes her head at the implied innuendo displayed by Narissa. As she had thought before, the half-fiend smooths things over diplomatically one or another. Vencarlo just didn’t look like he would survive a night with the sisters without breaking. The barbarian does offer the man a savage smile, thinking about how he would stand up in a fight.

Unlike Gweyn, however, the red head does take a seat. She grabs one the chairs without arms and spins it around, sitting on it backwards. This way, the barbarian’s greatsword can remain strapped to her back, and not feel uncomfortable.

Continuing her bluntness, Visara nods and says, “Go on.”
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 am

Narissa smiles wickedly, the swordsman missed her literal meaning entirely as he was focused on the prospect of fucking multiple women at once. Foolish man. I wonder what your blood tastes like.

She doesn't mind taking a seat either, removing her weapon's belt and laying it across her lap.

After nodding to acknowledge the Vencarlo's compliments, Narrisa replies to both him and Kroft, "I do believe I have heard the name Vencarlo Orisini. I believe it belongs to one of Korvosa’s most respected and renowned teachers of the honorable arts of fencing and swordplay."

"As much as I enjoy fencing with words, we did come here with purpose in mind." She looks expectantly at the Field Marshall.
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:35 am

Image Image
Vencarlo smells of weapon oil and slightly of wine, not enough to be a heavy drinker. He replies, "Ah, milady. You have heard of me and are too gracious."

Field Marshall Kroft decides to dispense with further pleasantries and get down to practical matters."As much as I would enjoy continuing the conversation, I fear we just don’t have time."

"Vencarlo has often come to me with news of important changes on the streets, and this is no different. Indeed, what he’s learned could degrade into sanctions, embargos, or even war against Cheliax if we don’t act now."

"This problem is a man named Darvayne Gios Amprei. You might have heard of him, he’s an ambassador from Cheliax whose disdain for Korvosa is well documented. And yet, he’s taken great pleasure in what our city has to offer. Even before this recent unrest, this man was ready to recommend to his government a sanction on trade, or perhaps even an embargo."

"Vencarlo has learned through his own considerable sources that Ambassador Amprei’s actual goals are to undermine Korvosa’s economy to the point where he can buy up large portions of the city from desperate landholders and establish himself in a position of power here. Whatever the ambassador’s reasons, we can’t let his bias or personal plans hurt Korvosa. Yet neither can we take drastic action. Not only would killing him be wrong, but it’d simply martyr him in Cheliax’s eyes."

"Fortunately, Darvayne has his foibles."

"Again, Vencarlo has learned that Ambassador Amprei has been making fairly regular visits to a place in Old Korvosa called Eel’s End. This den of vice is run by a dangerous man named Devargo Barvasi, better known in Korvosa’s alleys as the King of Spiders. I’d love to put Barvasi out of business, but he pays his vice taxes regularly and never causes any problems. In fact, since he keeps his business constrained entirely within the five ships moored at Eel’s End, he’s actually one of the least of my worries."

"Truth be told, I can’t decide whether Devargo is a stirge or a kraken. He seems like a bloodsucking pest most days, but sometimes I fear just how far his tentacles have wormed their way into our great city. In this case though, his insidious web stretching across Korvosa’s underworld might prove to our advantage."

"Devargo would never let someone he recognizes as an ally of the Guard into Eel’s End, but your group’s a different case. I’d like you to pay a visit to Eel’s End and secure an audience with Devargo. Find out what he knows about Amprei, get proof of any illicit goings-on the ambassador might be involved with, and bring that proof to me to use to undermine any forthcoming attempts by him to get Cheliax to cut us off."

"Devargo might not be willing to part with his information easily. I’ll supply you with some gold to bribe him, and whatever’s left over you can keep for yourself. Remember, the man is dangerous, but so are you—if things get violent, I wouldn’t mourn his passing."
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Gweyn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:21 am

Gweyn was more comfortable once the talk turned to matters of business. She kept her eyes on the marshal the entire time, though did not turn her back on Orisini, either. As long as he stayed where he was and kept his mouth shut, she was fine with him.

She pondered the marshal’s assignment for a few moments, after Kroft had finished speaking.

Gweyn frowned.

“Does not adding Barvasi into the issue add another layer of complication? Surely he has his own agenda, and offers discretion as part of his services.”

She folded her arms, shifting as she stood.

“Would it not be more prudent to investigate the ambassador directly, at his domicile or his offices? Since things like trade embargoes and other economic maneuvers take some time to implement, would you not have time to get a spy into his offices, or have someone shadow him every day?”

Gweyn’s words were thoughtful and measured, working through her thoughts as she voiced them out loud.

“Or is there a time issue with this assignment? Some reason why it must be done this way, and not another?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 am

Narissa is really not interested in sneaking around and following people. Nor does she really care about Korvosan and Chelish relations.

However, this assignment sounds like an opportunity and she comments to Gweyn, "Dear, I don't think she expects us to find information on the Ambassador's plans for trade embargoes and such from the underworld kingpin. As I understand it, the queen objects to his personal activities of trying to establish himself here in Krovosa. Thus treading in local politics where he doesn't belong."

She has a wicked gleam in her eye and remarks to Kroft, "If this Barvasi maintains that he cannot part with the information, then I am sure we can make him see reason."

"What if the Chelish Ambassador just happened to be in the establishment and suffers an unfortunate accident in this floating den of sin? He might just try bedding the wrong whore and who knows... potentially finding himself castrated."

Looking up at Gweyn again and over at Visara seated next to her, Narissa comments with a smile, "I think this might be enjoyable. Certainly more than dealing with some gang of butchers selling questionable meat. It will probably smell better too."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:24 am

Image Image
Field Marshal Kroft clears her throat, a bit uncomfortable at times with the enthusiasm of Narissa's attitude. She replies to Gweyn, "Well, sooner is always better. Particularly now."

"Those other ideas have been thought of and we have yet to succeed. This assignment would be in addition to those efforts and I think require your particular expertise."

"Though, I expect the personal ambitions of Darvayne are not going to be in any records in his offices anyway."

She addresses all the sisters as she continues, "But, if he has developed allies within the criminal elements, he would have likely found them at Eels's End. Being able to discredit him and his reputation will hopefully be enough to undermine his authority and we can have him recalled."
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Visara » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 am

Crossing her arms on the back of the chairs, Visara frowns as Kroft explains the situation and the assignment she has for the sisterhood. Negotiating with criminal elements is not something the barbarian is particular good at, unless it involves leg breaking and spilling blood. Perhaps, that is the kind of negotiating the field marshal wish to happen.

"If this Devargo is as connected as you say he is, is there a possibility that he may have gotten wind of your efforts?"

The red head half-dragon is not trying to be insulting of the marshal's security, but just realistic. After all, the sisterhood had to deal with traitors in the guard as part of restoring order to the city. It would not be surprised if some other guards might have loose lips.

"Is there a bounty on Devargo, in case he isn't so co-operative?"

Visara agrees with Narissa on assessment of the assignment. It certainly sounded more pleasant than the last, and would have the inevitable combat.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 am

Gweyn nodded. The situation was explained to her satisfaction.

“I understand,” she said to the marshal.

She glanced at her sisters.

“I’m sure we can find a way to accomplish this task. Obviously, some of it will depend on what we find when we get there, so we will have to be flexible in our approach. We are used to working as a team, so I’m sure we can figure it out.”

She had the feeling the marshal did not exactly want to hear more about the details of how they completed the assignment, as long as they were successful.

Gweyn glanced at the marshal.

“Would not Barvasi make a better ally than a corpse? I realize you don’t care much for his methods, but there is that saying.”

She shrugged.

“Better the devil you know.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:26 am

Narissa leaves off replying about making an ally of Barvasi and glances at Gweyn. She has a smirk, like the cat that has cornered the mouse, and gives a slight shake of her head.

Better to control the devil or be the devil, my dear.

Looking back across at the Field Marshall, she says, "I believe my companion has the right of it, we can certainly deal with this for you. You mentioned gold would be required to possibly purchase the information."

"We will need to ensure there is enough to satisfy Barvasi's sensibilities, correct? I am assuming he will be losing business from discrediting Amprei. And if he has the honor of thieves, that will play heavily into his reluctance."

"It could take a lot of gold..."

Narissa settles in to begin haggling over the amount.
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to When Evil Rampages Everywhere [PF]