WERE: Ch2 - Korvosa: Fortunes Beware

What are you going to do when the fiends and dragons come hunting for you?
Image Image Image

Moderator: PMiller

Re: WERE: Ch2 - Korvosa: Fortunes Beware

Postby PMiller » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:33 am

Searching the dead corpse doesn't reveal anything in pouches or pockets. But he had two gold armbands and a necklace with a gold medallion. The medallion looks to be valuable, but has the symbol of Cayden Cailean on it with some gems. The symbol is not the typical pewter looking mug of a commoner, though. But instead and more stylized drinking stein. The set of jewelry would probably bring a about 400 gold coins in Korvosa.

The wind elf's weapons are of fine quality as well, the scimitar on his belt had not even be drawn. The composite longbow is meant for a very strong archer and it of exceptional crafting.

Treasure | Show
Necklace with Cayden Cailean holy symbol & matching gold armbands - 400gp
Mwk Scimitar - 157.5gp
Mwk Comp Longbow (+5 Str) - 450gp
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Visara » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:58 am

Visara lays the items she found on the corpse on the boulder next to it. The composite longbow is finely crafted, giving the red head pause. She draws the string back a few times, and then grunts. It is nice, but no better than her current bow. It would fetch a pretty gold piece later

"Well, no matter, the bastard is dead, and we've just snubbed whoever sent him, divine or otherwise." Visara sets aside the bow, and then draws her dagger. She then bends down and hacks off the fey creatures ears.

"Told ya I would take your ears."
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:17 am

Gweyn shrugged.

“Yes, I suppose so.”

She turned from the mutilated corpse and looked at her sisters. Earlier Visara had raised the question of what they should do now that their picnic was ruined, and it had still not been resolved.

Gweyn remained in her half hound form for now, but no matter what form she lingered in, the stench of death would remain. She sneezed a canine sneeze, her furry head shaking back and forth.

“Well? What did you want to do? Shall we find another spot for our picnic, now that we probably don’t need to practice flying anymore?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:17 am

After Gweyn becomes insistent on deciding what to do next, Narissa gathers the items Visara set aside and gestures towards the horses. She doesn't think it is the ear cutting that is bothering the werehound, more likely the stench of the wind elf himself.

"Well, as much as I would relish a chance to deal with any of that prick's friends that come looking for him. A few of those flying creatures might be hard to handle in our present condition. Particularly as I cannot smite more than one of them a day and lightning bolt are dangerous."

"Let us head back to the city and see if we can deal with Visara's wounds with a healer and save the charges on my wand for when we need them."

She hands the two weapons to Gweyn to stash on her horse, "When we get a chance, maybe you should check to see if they are magical. Then both you and Visara could make use of them. And if not, then I am sure there would be benefit to keeping them."

"A spare scimitar in case you lose your other one. And some day, I might be able to handle the draw on the bow."

Untying the reins of her horse from the tree, Narissa leads it around in to the center of the clearing. She climbs into her mount's saddle and gestures with her polearm that she is ready to ride off.
The Fallen Angel: Narissa
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Smiling at the new elf like ears she just collected, Visara tears a piece of cloth from the dead man’s clothes. Use the piece of cloth, she wraps the ears and tucks them into her belt pouch. They would make a nice additional to her growing collections back in town.

Snapping her wings closed around her body like a cloak, the half-dragon walks slowly towards the horses. Her ribs needed to checked, and the red head had numerous bruises from the battle. She is in no condition to continue the picnic.

“Aye, I need to get my ribs checked, and soak in a hot bath. That bastards wind hurt like a hell.”

Gathering up the reins of her horse, Visara leads the beast a little ways into the clearing to giver herself more room. Then she gingerly and slowly mounts, not wanting to jostle any more than necessary. Once settled, she turns the horse towards the road back to the city.

“Let’s go.”
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 am

Gweyn nodded in agreement with the overall sentiment – to return and finish their business in the city, see to healing and perhaps take lunch in their room, or in the courtyard of their inn, if the weather was still nice.

“Yes, I’ll check to see if they are magical when we get back to the inn.”

She gathered up her horse’s reins and carefully mounted. She waited until they were well on their way, walking at a steady pace, before slipping off her pack and rummaging inside.

Gweyn pulled out Zellara’s deck, removed one card, replaced the deck and pack, before concentrating on the harrow card.

“Hello, Zellara. I assume you noticed what happened in the clearing.”

She paused, frowning.

“Is there anything you can tell us about that elf creature? Do you know of such beings?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 am

The Harrower's voice comes back into the werehound's mind.

"I am not very familiar with such an creature, they are not native to this area. But I think it was a Bralani Azata, a planar creature and not an elf at all. Bralanis are among the fiercest and wildest of the azatas, living from moment to moment and always on the lookout for chances to test their skill in battle. In addition to their elf-like forms, they can take the shape of whirlwinds of dust, snow, or sand as well."

"In our realm, they are often mistaken for djinn, delighting in violent weather for its intensity and energy. Many tales describe bralani as spirits who laugh as they sail amid the strongest storms."

The trio follows the trail made by their horses when they entered the forest, not needing to take their time looking for a place to picnic. Shortly they reach the road and can increase the horses gait to return towards the city even sooner.

Slowing to a inconspicuous pace upon gaining sight of the gate on Bloodsworn Road, Korvosa's incoming and outgoing traffic is about the same as when they left. The finely dressed women are bound to attract some glances, but nothing suspicious or alarming so far as they pass by the Guardsmen and enter the city proper. There quickly pass through Endrin Square and approach High Bridge. The clopping hooves clear the stone paving as they continue on and cross over into Midland to make their way back to the bed and breakfast.

Dismounting, the sisters are not waiting long before Pontia appears to check on the commotion in front of her little inn. She sends for a groom and the horses are taken away.

The three women are a little weary from riding.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Narissa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:01 am

Narissa pays no mind to the routine issues of the servant that sees to the horses. She whisks into the inn and once away from any prying eyes from the neighborhood addresses the proprietor when Pontia follows them in.

"Can you summon the local witch or healer? We have a few minor wounds that we are willing to pay to heal." The look on her face is quite serious and the innkeeper knows that it would be stupid to consider a priest or any such person. Pontia nods and says she knows just the person that has healing magics, without suffering the pompous attitudes of the temple clerics. A local medicine woman that charges reasonable rates.

Waving a hand in dismissal to let the woman be on her way, Narissa follows her sisters into the enclosed yard in the rear of the inn. The outdoor patio has some seating and a table for outside dining to enjoy the rest of the afternoon with some privacy.

She sits and begins laying out the food from their intended lunch, a couple hours late. She is hungry and is thinking of several Infernal curses she would put upon the wind elf for ruining their morning.

"Darling's it occurs to me that we are too overconfident in ourselves. For a few moments, I was concerned that we would not be able to deal with that prick in the forest. We are not the most prepared for some of the vile foes out there. If we have planar creatures hunting us, then we might need to carry some weapons crafted of special material."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:38 am

Likewise, Visara ignores the stable hand. All her aches, bruises, and possibly cracked and broken bones made themselves well aware on the ride back to the city. Each clop of the horses hooves felt like jarring agony to the barbarian half-dragon, that it is a wonder she made it back to town without causing a ruckus. However, by the time they dismounted and Pontia's inn, Visara face was pale from pain.

Quickly heading into the inn, Visara heads out on the back patio, dropping her gear off to one side, and begins to unstrap her armor. The armor itself is causing some of the discomfort, especially to her worn out wings. The armor soon joined the sword and other gear to one side, and Visara is able to breath a bit easier.

Before heading out the back patio, Visara had called for some ale. A servant of Pontia's now deliveries it with some mugs for the rest of her sisters. The red head glares at the wench, causing her to hurry off. Now alone, the barbarian pours herself some ale and downs it quickly. The warmth of the alcohol soon begins to take the edge off the pain.

Visara turns and considered her sisters woods. "Aye, you are right. What kind of weapons do we need to make planer creatures and such bleed more effectively?"
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Gweyn had only rushed around on the ground and shot her arrows fruitlessly into the sky, so she was not as exhausted or wounded like her sisters. Still, she understood their frustration. She would not have been able to do anything to the creature, had he attacked her when she was alone.

“I wonder if more Bralani Azata will come after us,” she said, thoughtfully. She had not gotten the chance to follow up with Zellara regarding more questions about the outsiders.

She looked to her sisters in turn.

“Zellara said that creature was an outsider. Aren’t there some magics that are specifically made to harm them, like enchantments on weapons?”

She was thinking out loud, mostly, but Narissa seemed to already have a plan in mind.

“I wonder where we could get such a thing.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:20 am

Narissa takes a mug of the ale and drinks.  Having laid the food out on the table, she begins eating some bread with sliced meat on it.

Considering the treacherous flying lessons, she was not really harmed when she looks back.  It is usually Visara that takes the brunt of the blows as she wades into the middle of the fray and attracts attention from their foes.  However, she leaves the aching pains alone, the half-dragon is prideful and the healer will be along soon enough.

She replies, "Well, for creatures that require weapons to be enchanted for effectiveness, I think we have that covered. But, we are not so prepared for other lycanthropes like you, dear Gweyn."

"Sorry, darling.  But, there are other creatures that need silver weapons to effectively kill."  Narissa is not insensitive to the werehound's feelings and remembers the archer with the deadly silver arrows causing her sister great pain.  However, this is more than just personal preference, but potentially survival.

"There are also creatures out there that are vulnerable to cold iron.  Particularly those from other planes of existence. After this morning, it would appear we have potential enemies from beyond this realm according to what Zellara says."

"If we were to face another of those Bralani Azata, Hextor's smiting is a very effective gift against those creatures. But, I think we were actually lucky that the wind elf was particularly vulnerable as other might not be.  However, that will only be one creature per day that I can use it on and it only helps me."

"So it is harder to deal with are those creatures that have divine or profane protections that are vulnerable to blessed weapons instead of just enchanted weapons or special materials. Our enemies are not always following a certain morality, either.  Some are zealots that think we are the evil ones, and others are vile chaotic creatures that are truly evil and bent on destruction."

"We almost need the company of a priest and their spells. That or powerful weapons with those specific enchantments.  Of course, elemental attacks often are effective against those protections, except often such creatures also have those resistances as well.  I do."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:00 pm

"Silver and cold iron weapons you say, " Visara says between mouthfuls of bread. The sigh to the food had made the half-dragon aware of how hungry she is. The mornings flying listens and battle had built up an appetite that could not be ignored any longer. So, the red-head is scarfing down the cold lunch with gusto.

"Aye, maybe makes some of those weapons blunt and piercing weapons too. Some creatures are more vulnerable to being bashed than being slashed."

Then the conversation turns to the possibility of needed a priest, or at least the abilities of a priest accompanying the sisters on their activities. This sets the red head into some thoughts.

"A priest? What do you have in mind?"
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Gweyn nodded.

“Yes, if you have something in mind, Narissa, let us hear it.”

Narissa had that way about her. She was always thinking ahead, always plotting. It was likely this was something she had been thinking for a while and was introducing the subject to them in a casual manner, to see how receptive they were to it before laying out her full plan.

Gweyn ate the meat without the bread, wrapping a slice of cheese in the middle. To her, bread was just unnecessary filler.

She took a sip of her tea, mulling over her sister’s words.

“I agree about the purchase of the various weapons, by the way. And whatever enchantments that we can afford. But regarding this priest, will your god send one your way, to aid in your endeavors?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:32 am

Narissa laughs.

"Sorry, the only priest I know is that puppeteer Cerec Srost. I have no desire to try and bring him into our affairs if possible. He is like a venomous snake that wants to slime his way between your legs when he is being friendly."

"Otherwise is a dictator and tyrant of Hextor's will. I would rather do without him. Maybe we can find some magical items that would help. Maybe we can find a soul-sucking blade. I know a certain prick of a paladin that could use the personality adjustment."

"Of course, we can stay inside the city walls and avoid planar creatures hunting us in the woods for awhile. Demons and devils are bound to be rare inside the city as well, I would think."

"But, we can go purchase those weapons of special materials this afternoon to at least limit the number of foes that will be harder to kill."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:30 am

Visara nods as the conversation continues on. She didn't like the idea of a priest any more than the rest. The red head just wanted to make sure that Narissa and herself are on the same page in that regard. It might be inconvenient at times, but it is one more person that would keep the half-dragon in check.

"Aye, new weapons sounds good to me." comments the red head.

About this time, there is a discrete cough for the entryway back into the inn. Pontia is there and indicates that the local witch has arrived to attend to the sisterhoods wounds. Being the only one really injured, Visara stands up and nods to her two sisters and heads back into the inn to have her ribs checked out. A little while later, the red head returns to the patio looking much better.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to When Evil Rampages Everywhere [PF]