WERE: Ch2 - Korvosa: Fortunes Beware

What are you going to do when the fiends and dragons come hunting for you?
Image Image Image

Moderator: PMiller

WERE: Ch2 - Korvosa: Fortunes Beware

Postby PMiller » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:31 am

After completing the adjustments to Visara's armor and taking in a meal at simple restaurant a few blocks from Eodred's Walk, the sisterhood observes that sunset is approaching and they have about a half an hour before the appointed time on the card to meet this Harrower.

The walk to 3 Lancet Street only takes about 5 minutes and the trio stands before a small house that is combined with a fortune-teller's shop. The place has seen better days, perhaps business is not too good. There appears to be some signs of occupancy and possibly a glow of interior illumination.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Re: WERE: Ch2 - Korvosa: Fortunes Beware

Postby Gweyn » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Gweyn turned to her sisters.

“Should we just go in? Or should we scout around the area first, to make sure this is not some trap?”

She frowned.

“I am wary of this woman, of course. Though it could have been that she overheard our inquiries and used her magic to put that card in your pocket. Her intentions could be as benign as they appear on the surface.”

Gweyn paused.

“But I doubt it.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:06 am

From a short distance, the fortune teller's home doesn't look like a decent place for an ambush to Narissa. She replies softly, "Let me take a closer look."

Checking both directions down the street, she crosses to the front of the fortune-teller's shop and looks in through the window. After peering in and shifting to another angle to look again, she takes a quick look at the front door as well.

Then Narissa straightens and walks boldly back to her waiting sisters.

"The front door is not locked and I did not see anyone inside or any traps. The interior looked kind of cozy actually."
The Fallen Angel: Narissa
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Visara waits across the street with Gweyn as Narissa checks out the shop. The redhead wiggles uncomfortable in her armor, still getting used to her folded up wings. She didn't get a chance to really adjust the armor as much as she liked, and it seemed to chaff a bit uncomfortable against her new appendages. Ah, well. I'll fix it tonight. There is business at hand. That of pursuing thieving fingers. At the last thought, Visara breaks out in a wicked grin.

When Narissa comes back and reports about the shop, Visara says "Well, shall we go in then? Also, how should we play it? Be nice, or demanding?" If it was nice, it was probably best that Visara keep her mouth shut. Either way, the red head is ready to enter the shop.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:56 am

After taking out a high priestess this morning, Narissa is feeling more confident and experienced than before. True this city has been messing around with her since they arrived, but the Sisterhood has been exacting a toll in blood to deal with it. Despite the trick of getting the card into her pocket unseen, that is relatively speaking a minor feat of magic, not in the same class as Gweyn's protective shield or shocking touch.

Narissa's face slowly assumes the dominatrix expression they have seen before, most recently when she was dealing with Pharadale. She replies haughtily, "Commanding. The woman shall know her place."

Only waiting for Gweyn's assent, she grips her ranseur and is ready to boldly cross the street once more and enter the shop.
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Gweyn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:45 am

Gweyn nodded.

“After all, this woman approached us, and even though she purports to help us, she must want something from us in turn.”

She shrugged.

“That gives us the power in this situation. We have other options, but she probably does not. And she is probably not a skilled warrior, or have the advantage of numbers, as we do.”

Gweyn nodded to Narissa.

“Let’s go and see what she has to say. I assume a Harrower would prefer to speak in metaphor and imagery, but if she knows what is best for her, she will speak plainly.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:33 am

The sisterhood crosses the street and enters the fortune teller's shop, the front door opens with a faint creaking of its hinges.

The cozy chamber within this small home is filled with a fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice. The haze comes from several sticks of incense smouldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke itself seems to soften edges and gives the room a dream-like feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling men’s hearts, another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall hooded figure shrouded in mist, a flaming sword held in a skeletal hand. Several brightly-colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throwcloth and four elegant tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.

Looking at the table closer, they find a simple note on the table, weighed down with a stone paperweight.

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Narissa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:39 am

Narissa glances around, reads the note, and looks to her companions with a, What the fuck? expression. She stands there, grasping her ranseur, the bladed point towards the ceiling, the butt end resting on the floor.

With a slight frown on consternation she comments, "She is not here, but expects us to wait. Some audacity. Still hungry, darling?"
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Gweyn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:07 am

Gweyn frowned in alarm.

“Don’t eat them,” she said, urgently, her eyes darting back and forth. “I don’t like this. It feels like a trap, or a setup. Those breads could be poisoned or doused with sleeping draught. Or she could have planted evidence of a crime and called the constabulary. We should leave and wait for her outside.”

Her lip curled.

“And who puts food on the floor? That is very bad form. Food should sit on the table.”

Gweyn looked between Narissa and Visara.

“She knew exactly when we were coming. There is no business so urgent that she would have to leave yet somehow have the time to write us a note and leave us food. Let’s go.”

She paused, then cast a simple cantrip, trying to get a sense of what could possibly be going on.

spoiler: show
Cast Detect Magic.
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Visara was about to help herself when Gweyn warned her off. The redhead looks up in alarm at her sisters paranoia, but stops to think a second and realize that it is somewhat justified. Straightening back up, Visara frowns in agreement with Gweyn.

"Aye, tis bad form indeed. If the harrower knows anything about us and not some fraud, she should know just serves to piss us off. She can't be this stupid. There has to be more to it. I'm with Gweyn, let's wait outside. Maybe incapacitate her and do some threatening?" Visara didn't like the idea of being jerked around. The harrower had better have a good reason, otherwise the barbarian might decide to take a few fingers out of spite.

When Gweyn exits the shop, Visara will follow her.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 pm

Narissa pauses as Gweyn decides to check something with her mage sight, commenting, "Bah! She does not realize who she is dealing with, obviously. If she is under the impression that we are heroes bent on righting a wrong, an elaborate trap would be ludicrous."

"But if she were indeed shrewd, an attempt at leverage should be expected. Let's leave then and accost her outside when she returns."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:51 pm

Gweyn sees several magical auras of illusion around room, all faint to moderate strength. The auras are on everything, the food, the note and the furnishings. Before the magus can learn more the door opens behind the sisters and the proprietor enters with a smile.

Zellara is an attractive middle-aged Varisian woman with long dark hair. She says, “Good evening, I am Zellara. Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you. I have reason to remain hidden, you see—a terrible man would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help."

As the woman sits down at the table, she produces a Harrow deck from a pocket and idly shuffles the cards. Her skill with the deck is obvious as the sisters watch how the cards seem to float and dance over her hands and the table. With a nod of her head, she indicates that the trio should sit at her table.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Visara » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:12 am

Visara checks herself as the door opens and the proprieter enters the room. As the woman introduces herself as Zellara, the redhead glares at her as the woman takes a seat and apologizes for her lateness and the method of contact. Visara so no need to be pleasant to the woman, and growls at her, "Best be worried about us. I don't exactly toe the line, and my sisters here may have to restrain me from taking fingers. Now, then you have us here, best tells us what you know."

Intimidate: 1d20+5=25
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 am

Gweyn put her hands on her hips.

“And while you are at it, explain to us what all this illusion magic is doing all over the place, and why you profess hospitality, yet put the food you were offering us on the floor.”

Her lip curled.

“Surely you were raised with better manners. Or was it a deliberate insult?”

She glowered at the woman, eyes narrowing ferally.

Intimidate: 1d20+6=26
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:24 am

Narissa, taking a cue from her sisters, levels the ranseur to point at the woman's face from across the table. Moving closer so the bladed point is within striking distance. Her eyes are cold and her expression is one of disdain.

She assumes an imperious tone, "Yes. You will speak plainly and provide answers or you shall be punished. Death will not come quickly."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to When Evil Rampages Everywhere [PF]