WERE: Ch1 - Korvosa: Mistaken Identity

What are you going to do when the fiends and dragons come hunting for you?
Image Image Image

Moderator: PMiller

WERE: Ch1 - Korvosa: Mistaken Identity

Postby PMiller » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:14 am

Welcome to Korvosa!

It is late afternoon on Wealday as Caravan Master Gavel has said it would be when you arrived and the wagons head on through Endrin Square continuing towards the warehouses of Gavel's company a few blocks from the waterfront of the Jeggare River. Laborers are waiting and loitering as the foremen are greeting each other and discussing things in preparation for unloading the wagons.

The extra guards are no longer necessary now that the procession is inside the walls of Korvosa and the guard captain approaches to pay out your wages for journey completion; 20 gold sails each. Not really needing your horses in the city and keeping them might prove to be inconvenient, the quartermaster points out a suitable place stable them with a business associate of Gavel's for five silver shields per day for each one. Of course there is also the Horse Shop only two to three blocks away where you can sell them with the saddles and tack at a reasonable rate.

Having concluded your association with Gavel's Caravan, you lead your horses back to Kroft Boulevard, just north of Endrin Square and are deciding where to go first.

:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Re: WERE: Ch1 - Korvosa

Postby Gweyn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:56 am

Gweyn considered her horse.

“I have little use for this animal,” she said with a shrug. “I only had it for appearance’s sake while traveling with the caravan. If we are to travel together from now on, I will have no more use for it. I will sell mine.”

Her eyes were bright and alert, and her nostrils flared subtly every so often as she tested the scents on the breeze.

“My clan tended to avoid cities,” she murmured. “I have seen them, mostly at a distance, and I have been to Caliphas a few times. But I believe Korvosa is somewhat larger. This should be interesting.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Visara mutters an agreement to Gweyn's statement as the trio travels along one of the streets deciding what to do. "Certainly the biggest I've been in, not that I've seen that many myself." Visara is a in awe a little at the sight of so many people packed into such a small space. She was used to small villages or hamlets where there was room to move around and breath. This was certainly different....

As for the horses, Visara is not attached to hers. "I say sell them. If we have need of them in the future, we can always buy or acquire them again."
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Narissa gestures up the street, leading her horse. "The Horse Shop is just over there, a block or two. But I do not look forward to carting around all my gear while we find a place to stay. I think I will see the tent too."

"The nice thing about larger cities, is that you can get lost in them fairly easily. With the help of some good disguising, we can possibly get away with things that would be harder in smaller communities. Those the smell can often be a bit much."

Turning north on Kroft Boulevard, the merchant's shop is just in view.
The Fallen Angel: Narissa
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:07 am

The trio arrives at the Horse Shop without difficulty, easily finding the place by the sign out front and the smell of the animals stabled there. By using Gavel's name, they get a decent enough deal on the mounts and the associated equipment.

After about twenty minutes, the sisterhood has concluded their business and have the Korvosan coins in their pouches in exchange. The find themselves back on Kroft Boulevard strolling towards Endrin Square, taking in the people walking about their business. Every so often a they have to make way for a carriage or a wagon.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Visara » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:21 pm

After a short while, the novelty of this section of the city has worn off for Visara. She's ready to move on after dodging a few wagons. Looking at the girls in the sisterhood as they meander through the streets, Visara speaks up, "Well now. Shall we find a place to stay for the night? I for one, need a meal and a bath to wipe the grim off from the road. Narissa, you know this city. Lead the way, and let's find an inn in that Midland ward."
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Gweyn nodded absently in agreement with Visara.

She glanced around, looking narrowly at the carriages and carts, as if she suspected they were intentionally trying to run her over. Even though she was quick and able to dodge out of the way easily, she still took offense.

Gweyn glanced at Narissa.

“How long will it take us to walk there? Does it behoove us to simply choose the closest inn here in East Shore? Or are those the most expensive?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:19 am

At Viasara’s question Narissa pauses a moment to consider, “Well, there is Leftovers here in East Shore. It is the only inn though and probably going to be full. I think we will have better luck with a bed and breakfast in Midland. I think I know of one in the Pillar Hill area.

“I think we will find the Creaky Hammock over there not to our liking for a place to stay, but a good place to poke around for information. Same for the Shoreline Drinkhall over there near the bridge across the river.”

“So we should find a place to stay and drop our gear? Then we can get something to drink and listen around on what’s going on here.”

She starts leading them down East High Street towards High Bridge and Midland.
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Gweyn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:40 am

“Very well.”

Gweyn walked with the others through the city. Ahead she spotted a wide bridge that led over the water and into the rest of the city proper. She raised a slender brow in wonder. Already the city seemed impossibly large to her. She could barely comprehend its scope.

Absently, she turned back to Narissa.

“Yes, that sounds like a suitable plan. Perhaps we can find out if there are opportunities for mercenaries or the like. With this many people, there must be something.”

She adjusted her pack as they walked.

“So, Narissa, how was your last visit here? Did you easily find work? Did you have troubles with any group or area in particular?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Visara nods in agreement and follows along behind the other two, half-listening to the conversation. Visara spends the walk trying to get used and familiarize herself with the big city. Every now and then, she would catch glimpses of the citadel, giving her a chance to admire the structure from a distance.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:30 am

Narissa leads the sisterhood down the street amid the throngs of people crossing High Bridge. More that once the pedestrian traffic has gotten thick enough that she has been jostled accidentally.

After a few moments she answers Gweyn's question, "I did not really work in this city. I was really just traveling through, relaxing for a few weeks before I headed east. By myself, I did not risk any questionable activity since laws here are pretty harsh. However, Cerec Srost did mention that it would be a good idea for me to look around with my eyes open when I was here. Apparently he must have known or divined that I would be back."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:03 am

The trio finishes crossing High Bridge and enters into Midland and Eodred's Square, passing through the towered gates with the rest of the pedestrian traffic. They step off to the side, out of the main stream of people going about their business in the plaza. From the look of things, the square makes a popular landmark that people use to set up meetings or simply orient themselves within the ward.

A ragged street urchin runs up to the three women, clutching a piece of parchment in one hand. "Hullo there, you," he says,pointing to Gweyn. "A man gave me four silver shields to deliver this to you. He said you'd give me four more on delivery." He presses the parchment into Gweyn's hand, eying your belt pouch as he waits expectantly for his payment.

The parchment reads:
I'm surprised you'd show up around here again, Madarius. If you keep flaunting your face around town, it's only a matter of time before Krell or Cassatta decides to smash it in. Gods, I'd have half a mind to do that myself if we didn't make such a good team. I'm willing to forgive your last double cross if you see fit to meet me in the alley behind the Blue Ox just before sundown today.

Judging by the height of the sun, there is about two hours before dusk.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Gweyn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:50 am

“What man?”

Gweyn’s lip curled as she took the note, reading it briefly. Dismissively, she handed to the others to look at in turn.

She turned back to the boy.

“Don’t take me for a fool, boy. This man, if he exists at all, didn’t tell you I would pay you. However, if you would like a tip for your services, you’ll tell me about him. Otherwise, I will assume this is a ploy to get random strangers to pay you money for a piece of paper.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Visara takes a look at the note as Gweyn hands it to her. She quickly reads it and passes it to Narissa while making a questioning comment to Gweyn, "Gweyn, thought you said you've never been to this city before?"

And then more to herself, "And here we are not an even an hour into the city, and it appears trouble has already found us. Oh this city sounds like it's going to a grand." Visara finishes with a snicker before giving the runt of a boy a glaring eye.

spoiler: show
Intimidate +4
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 am

Narissa studies the piece of paper from Visara, This certainly is interesting and brings up several questions. But whoever is wanting to smash in Gweyn's face has another thing coming to them.

She looks around, but doesn't spot anyone that looks to be paying them undue attention, so she then focuses on the street urchin. He doesn't look to be a roper to suck us in while others take advantage, but I better keep an eye open for other trouble. This does appear to be a place where pickpockets could be roaming the crowds.

She asks the boy, "Who is this Madarius? Come now speak up, boy."

Aside she asks Gweyn softly, "Is that an alias that you have used in the past?"
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to When Evil Rampages Everywhere [PF]