WERE: Prologue - From Skelt to Korvosa

What are you going to do when the fiends and dragons come hunting for you?
Image Image Image

Moderator: PMiller

Re: WERE: Prologue - From Skelt to Korvosa

Postby Visara » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Visara assists in the looting of the corpses, not really caring about the discussion of each of the woman's unusual features. Visara knows enough to keep quiet about such things at the moment, having some unusual features of her own. On the discussion of the better quality items found on the orcs, Visara responds with a grunt, "Scavengers the lot of em. Take whatever isn't nailed down. It was much the same along the border."
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby PMiller » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:38 am

Gathering up the weapons and possessions of the orc warriors doesn't take too long, and Gweyn can cast her cantrip to detect magical auras. The strange hat is the only thing that glows in her senses. The rest of the items are mundane.

Just as you accomplish this task a few of the other caravan guards and the caravan master, Forvinius Gavel, approach. He sees the dead raiders and remarks, "Well done, well done. You have done a great service. If you had not defended the head of the caravan, these raiders could have swept down on us and flanked our defensive stand at a critical moment. I thank you. I have a bonus to give you for your bravery and prowess, these 20 gold coins each. The healer should be along shortly to help tend your wounds as well."

Seeing the gathered items piled up he becomes more business like and suggests, "These raiders have gear and equipment of some value. It is yours by right as you defeated them, however if you wish to sell any of it, let me know and the quartermaster will purchase them from you at prices comparable to what you will get in Korvosa."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Visara » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Visara looks up as the caravan master approaches and says his piece. She grunts in satisfaction, and says, “The orcs got what they deserved.” She takes her extra reward from the caravan master with a nod, and pockets it.

Looking at the looted gear, Visara gives her two coppers, “I’d say sell all but the cap, and possibly the shield now. Once we get to Korvosa, we can have the cap identified and then decide to sell it. I don’t want to be dragging around extra gear.” Visara personally doesn’t use shields, as it’s not her style, but it might not hurt to have a finely crafted one handy.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Gweyn nodded to the caravan master, in acknowledgement of his words.

“Understood. Thank you,” she said, briefly.

She saw no reason not to be polite, and believed the man’s offer to be fair. In truth, she had little love for gold, save that it was a means to an end. Gathered gold would allow her to buy more equipment that would ultimately help her carry out her mission of vengeance.

Gweyn waited until the dwarf had given them their hazard pay and moved off before turning back to Narissa and Visara.

She contemplated the cap and shield.

“I agree,” she said, nodding at Visara. “I would not use the shield itself, but if you find it might be valuable, it should be kept. It looks to be well made. As for the cap, I believe I know what it does. We should discuss who will take it, and how the others will be recompensed.”

She lowered her voice slightly.

“It is enspelled with powerful illusion magic. The one who wears it can disguise her appearance to look like an entirely different person.”

spoiler: show
Spellcraft roll to identify cap during earlier Detect Magic spell: 1D20+8 = [15]+8 = 23
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:06 am

As the caravan master and his guards head back to see about the rest of the caravan, Narissa stuffs the hat out of sight into her pouch, "I would agree, sell everything else. Visara, if you wish to hang onto that tower shield, you will have to carry it."

"The hat will be very useful for some of the tasks we will be doing, I am sure. Particularly given how distinctive we can be. I fear we both will have need of this, Visara."

She looks to Gweyn and pauses in consideration for a moment, choosing her words carefully while they are yet alone for a few moments.

"As you know, Visara and I are traveling companions, heading to Korvosa for now, but more than likely we will continue onward. I was looking for someone several weeks back while I was in Ustalov. This was even before I was brought together with my draconic swordswoman here. I had heard rumors of a shape-shifting woman that was... causing the Citadel of Light some difficulties." Her tone is almost gleefully happy at this euphemism and she is smiling wickedly.

Continuing, "I received some Divine encouragement to seek out this woman and discuss her quests and parley an arrangement. However, I had believed the trail had gone cold after some fucks caused a delay while I was following some leads in Nirmathas. And after dealing with them, Visara and I had to sidetrack somewhat to throw off pursuit as well."

"As you can imagine, we are trying to be inconspicuous while we leave Nirmathas and head back to my homeland of Varisia. It will be much easier to shake off those who are looking for us there. But I think it is a quirk of fate or His Divine intervention, that has brought us to you. For, unless I am mistaken you are likely the one I was seeking."

Narissa stops talking at the arrival of another one of the caravan's members approaching along with the expected quartermaster to discuss exchanging currency for the orcs' possession.
The Fallen Angel: Narissa
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:37 am

The quartermaster and his purser walk up and quickly inventory the items and gear. They exchange some your money and leave you with some gold coins and 7 gems worth 100gp each. A few guards come along and help drag the bodies off to be burned with the rest of the dead raiders in a large fire. There is talk that the commander of the guards intends to leave a few heads on sharpen stakes beside the burnt remains as a warning.

Just as they are finished, a frail looking woman around 30 years old, with facial tattoos approaches. She is wearing some black robes over her traveling clothes and there is a brownish red furred fox following along. You have seen this strange woman around in the caravan and it is said that she is a gypsy-like witch that was hired along as a healer during the journey.

"Well, Master Gavel said that there were wounded over here and he instructed that I avail them of my services. They should hold still and we will fix the dearies right up. Come, Kitsune, we have a few more to do here." With her hand she makes some strange gestures in front of Gweyn and Narissa in turn. Afterward they both are feeling much better, the witch's healing hex has completely cured both of you of wounds suffered in the fray.

"Well, that will do, eh Kitsune? We must be off." The witch was more interested in her own conversation with the fox while she was going about her tasks and pretty much ignored the fact that her patients were live people. She heads back to the main body of the caravan, leaving you three alone again with relative privacy for conversation.

Glancing back at the activity going on, it looks like the caravan will resume travel again in about 5-10 minutes and word was passed that you will be continuing to perform vanguard duty for the next few hours until the scheduled stop to camp for the night.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Gweyn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:33 am

Gweyn was well familiar with the gestures the gypsy woman made. Gweyn’s mother worked the same sort of witchery as the woman in front of her.

Though she was not from Gweyn’s specific clan, just judging from her tattoos, she did belong to larger gypsy community, a loose affiliation of clans that at times roamed far and wide, rarely encountering each other.

Gweyn was curious and respectful, but the woman barely acknowledged her. Gweyn had left her heritage behind long before. In coloring, she resembled her blond-haired father rather than her dark-haired gypsy mother, and she did not wear gypsy colors, or bear their tattoos.

She nodded to the woman and thanked her solemnly for her healing. Then when she was alone with the others again, she turned back to Narissa. They had been interrupted before she had been able to respond to her comments, though they had been at the back of her mind.

Gweyn studied Narissa for a long moment, watching her with silent, pale eyes. Finally she nodded.

“I will not contradict the word of your god. It is true that I have no love for the Citadel; I must be the one you seek.”

A slender eyebrow rose.

“So what is this arrangement you wish to make with me?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Visara contemplates the tower shield, then shrugs her shoulders and sells it to the caravan’s quartermaster. In the end, she didn’t feel like carrying the damn thing around.

After the witch comes by and heals Gweyn and Narissa, Visara leans up against a boulder while listening to Gweyn’s answer to Narissa’s explanation. She nods in satisfaction with lycanthrope’s answer, At least we’re on the same side, Visara thinks to herself, a shame though. It would have been fun to cross swords with her, if that had not been the case…
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:13 am

While their conversation was being interrupted, Narissa's facial expressions show a pleasant and agreeable facade, these people must not suspect us of being more than just swords for hire. It is almost too bad that we had this battle, as tales of the three women and their combat prowess will surely be told int he taverns in Korvosa after we arrive. At least they will talk of three of us instead of just two. But Visara's flaming red hair...

Watching the witch depart, Narissa silently waits a few more moments before turning her attention to Gweyn and listens to the woman's confirmation.

"Indeed, you must be her. Know this, we are sworn enemies of the followers of Iomedae and her ilk. This is a holy crusade of dominance on our part, but allies in our struggle are most welcome. I am not a holy priest bent on conversion, but still a willing follower. Perhaps in time you may wish to know more of Him, but it is not my place to enlighten you."

"However, those self-righteous pricks in the Citadel of Light, need to cowed and brought to heel. In a divine dream, I received a vision that a shape-shifting woman with arcane talents would be most beneficial in the tasks set forth by my Master."

"You have seen that we effective fighters, but we are in need of some other talents for our quests. I can promise you an equal share of the loot and treasure we acquire along the way as we seek more power. I can assure you that there will be plenty of opportunities to kill some of those troublesome paladins and knights too. Perhaps sooner rather than later even."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Gweyn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:06 am

Gweyn studied Narissa for a few moments. Her nose twitched briefly as she considered the woman’s words. After a second she glanced at Visara and found that the savage was simply watching her with appraising eyes. Both women were waiting on her response, which Gweyn could see was important to both of them.

She gave a short nod.

“I like your offer. It sounds equitable to me. But I need to be up front with you about a few things.”

Gweyn paused.

“First, while I respect your beliefs, I bow to no god. That is something I ask you to understand and respect as well.”

Her lip curled upward, into a feral snarl.

“Also, my issue with the Citadel will not be sated by mere dominance. I will not rest until it has been destroyed, or I am dead. That having been said, I am patient. I stalk and hunt my prey, and do not throw myself into the fray foolishly.”

She paused, glancing between the two women, judging their reactions, meeting their eyes in turn.

“There is a third thing that I must ask of both of you. One day I may ask you to spare someone you would ordinarily kill. I refer to a specific individual, not a whim. I need your promises that you will do so.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:51 am

Narissa nods in agreement about not forcing her religion on Gweyn.

And her smile grows wicked at Gweyn's vehemence at killing those Citadel of Light fucks, "Well, our crusade is pretty much guaranteed to mean killing them. Iomedae will not share her dominion with Hextor and her worshipers will not make good slaves. However, there might be a few that can be convinced to fall from grace. We shall have to see."

She agrees with Gweyn's last request, "There are some that I do not kill and I can spare the life of a particular one if there is need. As a rule, I do not wage war against defenseless or the innocent. But if this individual threatens our safety, he might have to be reduced to a non-combatant. For example, removal of his sword arm or blinded. Is that acceptable?"
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 am

Visara returns Gweyn’s glare with equal intensity before breaking out in laughter. Brushing some of hair out her face, Visara responds with mischievous grin on her face, “Excellent! Another sister in arms.” Visara pauses on the third request before continuing. “When the time comes, point this person out before hand. Otherwise in the heat of battle, I make no guarantees.” Visara says with finality as that’s as close to a promise you’ll get out of her.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Gweyn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Gweyn nodded, solemnly, her face serious.

“When the time comes, I will tell you,” she said to Visara.

It was as much of a guarantee as anyone could get from a savage. Then she looked to Narissa, whose answer had been far more calculated.

“His life and limb is mine to take or spare. If it becomes an issue, I will be the one to deal with it. He will not jeopardize our freedom or existence, and if he were to try, then I will end him. This I promise.”

Gweyn said the last in a hushed tone. Her eyes flicked downward, contemplative. She drew in a slow breath.

“Very well then. This will be our sisterhood.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:01 am

Narrisa nods, "Fair enough then, you can deal with him and we can support you. I accept your promise and the arrangement."

She draws her scimitar and makes small cut on her hand, letting the drops fall to the ground. Looking to the other two to do the same, she says, "To our sisterhood then, let our blood mingle together to seal the oath."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Visara smirks, and then responds with excitement, "Indeed!"

She takes her hand and bites down hard on one her fingers to break skin, and dribbles her blood down on the ground along with Narissa's. Visara then licks the cut and grins at the others. Oh What fun the future is going to be, she thinks to herself.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to When Evil Rampages Everywhere [PF]