WERE: Prologue - From Skelt to Korvosa

What are you going to do when the fiends and dragons come hunting for you?
Image Image Image

Moderator: PMiller

Re: WERE: Prologue - From Skelt to Korvosa

Postby Gweyn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Gweyn nodded to her two new sisters. She eyed Visara’s savage bite into her own skin, and wondered if the woman ate raw meat, or consumed the hearts of her enemies. Gweyn thought she would probably find out.

Drawing her rapier once more, she sliced it neatly across her palm. Her expression barely flinched in pain.

Blood welled up from her skin, and she clenched her hand into a fist, letting it drip into the ground. For a moment it overlapped the others’, then soaked through, their blood mixing and becoming one.

“To our sisterhood. May our enemies fall to our blades.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 am

Shortly after the three fierce warriors come to an agreement, the caravan master is calling for the lead elements to begin moving again. Having already received word that they are to continue as the vanguard element, the three set out down the road again on foot, being vigilant in trying to spot any potential threats in the rugged terrain.

During the next week and a half of the journey to Korvosa, the trio is assigned various other sections of the caravan to guard and patrol, often together but sometimes paired with other guards. The remainder of the trip passes without further attacks from raiders, but a few dangerous creatures are encountered. However, the incidents were handled fairly easily by other sections of the guards before the sisterhood was able to unleash their fury.

During the evening and morning mealtimes, the sisterhood is able to find some privacy to share more of their personal histories and motivations for their actions. The pact sealed in blood develops stronger bonds as the trio gets to know and understand each other.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Gweyn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:44 am

As the days went on, Gweyn found she was even more grateful for companionship than she would have thought. Long used to traveling alone, it rarely occurred to her that even something as simple as taking a meal with others might be welcome.

Even so, Gweyn did not speak much about her background. She told the others of her gypsy heritage and that she had been born in Ustalov, though she knew the latter was probably already fairly evident from her accent.

She did not share her reasons for hating the Citadel. They were simply too painful to speak of to strangers. She was interested, however, in what the others had to say, and listened carefully to what they wanted to share. Perhaps she would feel comfortable enough to talk about her vendetta with these women one day.

Gweyn could see they were already friends, and had the easy, unspoken sort of trust in each other that battle-sisters did.

One night, as they were sitting together after their meal, Gweyn looked over at Narissa briefly, her brow creasing faintly in thought.

There was a hesitant sort of curiosity in her grey eyes. After a few moments, she spoke.

“I was wondering,” she ventured, slowly.

She had not asked any personal questions of her companions yet. She finally felt comfortable in doing so.

Gweyn glanced around them to make sure the other travelers were far from their camp, and lowered her voice to a quiet hush.

“What is it that you are. With your…” She made a gesture, not at all overt, indicating Narissa’s back in the most general way. “My people have legends about winged women. They are avengers from the heavens, sent by the gods to smite their enemies. Is that…your purpose?”

She fell silent after she spoke, watching Narissa carefully.
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Narissa » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 am

After months of traveling and stalking the killers that murdered her previous compatriots, Narissa was feeling more comfortable with these new traveling companions than she had in a long time. Normally she would have be very cautious about being so trusting, but whether it is her gut instinct or Divine intervention in her dreams, the sisterhood just feels right.

She shares tidbits from her past and some of her personal feelings on why she has done some of the things in her past.

That one evening that Gweyn finally asks what has been on her mind, likely for more than a few days now, Narissa feels comfortable enough to share most of the story. At least the facts anyway, as she relates the tale of the slaughter in the slaver's hideout. She also includes the parts about her two cohorts being hunted and killed by the knights of Iomedae, but leaves most of her inner turmoil at the time out of the story.

"I wasn't always this way, Hextor awakened the fiendish blood running through my veins and the wings are a result of his Divine gift. These should be bat-like, but he must have realized that it was a more effective joke on Iomedae that they are feathered like an angels, only black. Since I am on the path to become His assassin, he must have foreseen that I would need to pass freely among the normal humanfolk, so the wings dematerialize when I don't need them. He also kept my fiendish claws and fangs from manifesting and my skin did not change color as it became tougher."

"How about you, Gweyn? Were you born with the lyncanthrope blood running in your veins or was it induced later in life. I have heard tales of were-wolves and were-rats before, but until I was sent to seek you out, I had never heard of a were-hound. Surely you must be a rare breed, neh?"
The Fallen Angel: Narissa
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Gweyn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:54 am

Gweyn nodded, solemnly.

“Yes, my people are not commonly known to most. Often, we are mistaken for the werewolves we fight. We are an ancient tribe and have always been in conflict with the lycanthropes who would ravage the lands and slaughter like mindless beasts.”

Her lip curled in contempt as she spoke of the werewolves.

“Now our numbers are few. The blood runs thin. But yes, I was born this way, by the blood of my mother. I have known what it is to change forms since I was very young.”

She had listened carefully to what Narissa had said about her relationship with her god, and the gifts he had granted her. Privately, she was surprised that a god would take such an active role in the life of a mere mortal, but perhaps gods were more attentive than she had previously thought.

“You must please your god, to be given such gifts, and to be given guidance.” She glanced at Visara. “It seems you have gained two companions due to his assistance.”

Gweyn was thoughtful for a few moments.

“And now? Do you think you will be given more guidance once we reach Korvosa?”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:24 pm

The rest of the caravan trip to Korvosa was rather uneventful, much to Visara’s dismay. She got over it, by falling into the guard duty as was expected of her. Luckily, the encounters with dangerous animals were enough to keep the barbarian girl satisfied and entertained as she watches the other caravan guards handle them.

At night, the conversations with the other two girls in the sisterhood proved insightful and interesting. For her part, Visara recounted her travels along the border fighting orcs, mercenaries, and otherwise leaving a trail of destruction. Of her origins, Visara has little to say other than originating from the Kodor Mountains. It’s not that she’s secretive about her past, but feels that it’s of little importance.

On the evening that finally Gweyn questions Narissa, Visara sits cross legged at the fire listening with half an ear. She is busy mending one of her fur and leather gloves used to cover her forearms. The task has become increasing more frustrating and difficult in the past few months since manifesting her draconic heritage. Dragonic claws don’t seem to cut out for sewing and as such, Visara is paying more attention to her to the project in her lap than the other two girls.

However, she starts tuning into the conversation as Narissa explains her gifts, and Hextor’s guidance. On the subject of wings, Visara wonders if she’ll end up with a pair herself. She felt that her draconic manifestation had a ways to go yet. Perhaps with the guidance of her new deity, Visara thought she would be able to unlock the rest of her potential, possibly gaining some dragon wings herself. Mayhap, she would even please Hextor enough to receive gifts of her own.

At Gweyn’s last question, Visara chimes in as she brushes her wild hair out of her face, “Yes, what is the plan once we reach Korvosa?”
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:36 am

Narissa scoffs at the reference of Hextor’s pleasure, “The arrogant prick, laughed at what he had done to me, like it was some cosmic joke. He called me his fallen angel and set me loose upon the world to kill the potential champions of his greatest foe, Iomedae. But, the church is very young and we are carving our niche out as we speak. Cerec Srost is the first disciple and the only high priest so there are very few of us. And he says, as long as I excel, I can achieve great power in accomplishing my tasks.”

She becomes thoughtful for a few moments considering the question on what to do in Korvosa. Then she replies, “Well, we must be careful in that city. They are pretty strict about the laws there, so we must not get caught. But, we can lose ourselves among the people and look for some opportunities. I think we can stay at an Inn for the first night while we scope out the wards and find a suitable apartment or house for rent to establish a base of operations.”

“Then we shall see what we can do. Finding and dealing with any of Iomedae’s worshippers will require subtlety and care, lest we draw the attention of the Sable Company or the Korvosan Guard. Although there is not a major Iomedae infestation, we should be able to pluck some of those weeds. Perhaps Hextor will want us to clear a path for establishing a temple."

"Worse comes to worse, we can try to find some legitimate work that we can maximize profits on."
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Gweyn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Gweyn nodded.

“It will be good work, regardless. Anything worthwhile takes time and patience, and great care. We should observe for a time and learn their hierarchy, then strike at the point that will cause the most damage.”

Her eyes narrowed in anticipation of the hunt to come.

“Perhaps a critical weakening of the foundation will allow the structure to eventually crumble.”

She looked to Narissa.

“Very well. It sounds like we have a clear path to follow. I am agreeable to this course of action. Once we have gained our bearings in this new city, we will discuss our plans in more detail.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Visara looks up from her work, and replies "Hmmph, Not sure I like the idea of legitimate work as that's usually dull and boring." Visara let's out a sigh, "Though you're probably right about staying low. I don't fancy running again, and much rather stand and fight. Which would probably be counter productive to our goals." After having given her input, Visara then goes back to mending her gloves.
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 am

Narissa shrugs, "Possibly boring, but there are tales of some interesting things going on in the Vaults beneath the city. Korvosa stands atop the remains of at least two other civilizations and there tunnels and caverns aplenty. We can probably be more ourselves if we are hunting things down there, away from observation."

"We should think about which inns and taverns will offer the best chance of truthful rumors and information."

Over the remaining days of the journey, Narissa shares the names of some places in the various wards and districts that she has heard about. She has spent a little time in Korvosa before the last time she came through, but she is not a native of that city.

In the course of their discussions, she does mention that there could be a shrine to Hextor already in the Pantheon of Many. But if Cerec Srost has not arranged that yet, she suspects there perhaps will be one of his lesser clerics in Korvosa seeking to bring about that change. She knows there is even a shrine to Iomedae in the Pantheon of Many, but there is no chapter house of Paladins that she is aware of. That doesn't mean that some of the goddess's minions do not find other places to congregate.

After talking about the different sections of the city, she suggests that they might find more interesting activities in Old Korvosa, but there are potentially appropriate inns and taverns scattered throughout the city.

She heard from the caravan master estimates that they will be arriving late afternoon and entering the city in the East Shore area. That would leave enough time in the day to find a suitable, temporary lodging there or in the Midland area. She figures they can decide on renting an apartment or house the following day for more privacy.
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Gweyn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:55 am

Gweyn nodded in agreement.

“That sounds fine. From that you have said, it sounds like Midland may be where we want to find a more permanent apartment, perhaps the day after our arrival. If there are many different types of people there, our presence will be less remarkable. Trying to live in an older part of the city would make us more noteworthy among the natives.”

She paused, then, and reflected back on all that Narissa had related to them. Even though the fallen angel was not a native of the city, her knowledge of it was fairly prodigious, and she had provided them with a good overview of what to expect.

“I imagine we will simply be glad to find an inn the first night. The next day we should pay a visit to see if there is a shrine to your god, and look for an apartment. Then perhaps we can familiarize ourselves with the area around our new home, and do some walking.”

She paused, scanning the road ahead as they walked. Her nostrils flared briefly as she tested the air, then she glanced back at Narissa and Visara.

“I can tell we draw close. It has a distinct smell. Fish and offal.”

Her lip curled briefly.

“In any case, I must admit this place you spoke of ‘The Shingles’, sounds intriguing to me. Filled with peril, surely, but perhaps someone would pay us to either track down a criminal or rid the area of some marauding beast.”

Gweyn let out a low snort.

“In fact, perhaps we should work for the Korvosan Guard or Sable Company. Perhaps they have need of freelancers.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby Visara » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:37 am

Visara wasn’t sure what to expect of Korvosa as Narissa describes the city to her and Gweyn. It certainly was bigger than any other town or city Visara had visited. Due to her nature, Visara would be fine wherever the group decides that they could blend in the most. Likewise, The Shingles sounded interesting as well. With it being a poverty stricken area, the law’s reach might be less allowing the girls more freedom.

When Gweyn brings up working for Korvosan Guard or Sable Company, Visara grumbles some obscenity about legitimate work, before asking, “Not sure about working for the guard, but what kind of company is Sable Company? Are they mercs? Or an extension of the Korvosan Guard?”
Visara in Evil Freeform
Visara in WERE
Visara
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Narissa » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Narissa considers what she knows about those two military organizations.

“The Korvosan Guard serves the city of Korvosa first, the King second, and the church of Abadar third. It works closely with the monarch and high priest of Abadar to maintain order in the city, acting most often as a police force, but also a military unit if the city is threatened by external forces.”

“The Sable Company however does not answer to the King, regardless of his title. Instead, the commandant of the Sable Company reports directly to the Seneschal of Castle Korvosa instead. These black-clad rangers were formed from the remnants of a famed group of marines and are known to be mounted on hippogriffs to defend the skies and waters of Korvosa.”

“I don’t think either group holds much promise for us. However, should the monarchy change, the young Queen Ileosa Arabasti might make things into a different story. Rumors say that she holds much of Korvosa in contempt, referring to it as a ‘backwater colonial village’ on several occasions. The queen was born to one of Cheliax’s more successful noble families and believed to have seduced the king into marrying her simply to advance her own wealth and riches. Barely 17 years old when she took Eodred II’s side, the Queen Ileosa has managed to single-handedly shift the dislike and disapproval away from King Eodred to herself in only a few years time.”
Narissa
Legend
Legend

Postby Gweyn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:13 pm

Gweyn nodded, slowly.

“Very interesting. She seems like the sort of monarch who has heavy aspirations for the future. For change. It seems we should pay attention to local politics. If she starts to make a move, we should see if we can benefit somehow.”

She paused, then.

“Very well, my sisters. Soon we will arrive in Korvosa. And we will see what this new phase of our lives brings us.”
Gweyn
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:48 am

The caravan slowly makes its way down the Bloodsworn road and through the twin towers that flank the gate into the East Shore District of Korvosa. The towering keep of Castle Korvosa stands visible in the skyline; the sloping pyramid of the Grand Mastaba and the high-walled citadel itself. You can see an occasional winged creature with a rider on it circling lazily over the buildings around the heart of the city.

After weeks of traveling and sleeping on the ground, the prospect of a nice bed is calling each of you, another journey has ended and excitement of the city is in air even now. The lead wagon disappears through the gates and the rest of the caravan soon follows.

The sisterhood has arrived.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Previous

Return to When Evil Rampages Everywhere [PF]